Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2011 Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88895)

Playoffs 01-12-2012 11:52 AM

Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2011 Draft

Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2011 Draft

Houston Texans

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: In April, I wrote that Wade Phillips "got a lot of new toys to work with, and I think Houston did a solid job of addressing what was simply a bad defense in 2010." I probably didn't make a strong enough case because the first two picks, J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed, have played huge roles this season. Watt is arguably one of the top rookies in football, and Reed really came on, particularly after Mario Williams was lost for the year. If you consider that Houston got 11 sacks out of a combo of Williams and Reed, the injury to Super Mario doesn't seem so terrible. Of course, the big steal here was to find T.J. Yates in the fifth round after he wasn't even invited to the combine. After the draft, I wrote, "Yates could be a good one if given time to develop." I wouldn't exactly call his current experience a nice incubation period, but he has made what was already a good draft look somewhere closer to exceptional, at least in the short term. Good draft for Houston right now and for the future, which deserves a bump.

New grade: A-

Only two teams (San Francisco and Cleveland) had higher grades than Houston's and only four other teams finished with grades of A- or better.

TheCD 01-12-2012 12:16 PM

Re: Mel Kiper Re-Grades the 2011 Draft

If Brandon Harris can develop into even a nickel corner this draft becomes so much better that it already is.

Ole Miss Texan 01-12-2012 12:19 PM

On a scale from 1 - 10, this draft was a 15.

Perki-Perk 01-12-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1877960)
On a scale from 1 - 10, this draft was a 15.

Is this your fancy way of saying it's.."Off the charts"? :D

IDEXAN 01-12-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCD (Post 1877956)
If Brandon Harris can develop into even a nickel corner this draft becomes so much better that it already is.

And we also drafted another CB, Rashad Carmichael from Virginia Tech, who went on IR early but could be a real sleeper in the upcoming offseason to develope into a player who can play some minutes.

beerlover 01-12-2012 02:48 PM

I gave Texans A- the first time. Does that make me a better draft evaluator?

eriadoc 01-12-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1878133)
I gave Texans A- the first time. Does that make me a better draft evaluator?

It's Mel Kiper ... how low do you want the bar set?

gary 01-12-2012 03:35 PM

I still would like to know why Harris has not played very much.

eriadoc 01-12-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1878201)

Well, at the risk of going black and white with it, either he sucks, in which case the coaches and GM have did a terrible job wasting a 2nd round pick on him, or the coaches haven't put him on the field for other reasons (like their deluded belief that KJ is a starting caliber CB), and they did a terrible job managing the whole thing.

If there were no history of this sort of thing, I'd lean toward the former. Obviously, none of us really know.

Perki-Perk 01-12-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1878206)
Well, at the risk of going black and white with it, either he sucks, in which case the coaches and GM have did a terrible job wasting a 2nd round pick on him, or the coaches haven't put him on the field for other reasons (like their deluded belief that KJ is a starting caliber CB), and they did a terrible job managing the whole thing.

If there were no history of this sort of thing, I'd lean toward the former. Obviously, none of us really know.

Dude, you are high! Kevin Johnson is an excellent Commentary Broadcaster! :kitten:

BullNation4Life 01-12-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perki-Perk (Post 1878209)
Dude, you are high! Kevin Johnson is an excellent Commentary Broadcaster! :kitten:

Hell of a basketball player too. Anybody from H-Town remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifx_gRF-ouU

dream_team 01-12-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1878201)

Alot of people would like to know this.

My hope is they drafted him to compete for a starting job. But then the Texans signed JoJo, and KJ & Allen have played solid... There's no reason to rush him on the field. Not to mention McCain has been awesome in the slot.

My feeling is Allen isn't re-signed and Harris takes over his spot.

eriadoc 01-12-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream_team (Post 1878296)
Alot of people would like to know this.

My hope is they drafted him to compete for a starting job. But then the Texans signed JoJo, and KJ & Allen have played solid... There's no reason to rush him on the field. Not to mention McCain has been awesome in the slot.

My feeling is Allen isn't re-signed and Harris takes over his spot.

That would be awful. Allen is a better CB than KJ. He's not a Pro Bowl caliber CB, but he makes plays on the ball and he actually looks for the ball, which results in fewer pass interference calls. If it were me, it would be an open competition for the #2, #3, and #4 CB job, and let the seeding work itself out. I suspect it would end up being Allen #2, KJ or Harris at #3, and the other at #4. McCain ends up being the 5th CB and ST player. McManus is the odd man out.

welsh texan 01-12-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1878299)
That would be awful. Allen is a better CB than KJ. He's not a Pro Bowl caliber CB, but he makes plays on the ball and he actually looks for the ball, which results in fewer pass interference calls. If it were me, it would be an open competition for the #2, #3, and #4 CB job, and let the seeding work itself out. I suspect it would end up being Allen #2, KJ or Harris at #3, and the other at #4. McCain ends up being the 5th CB and ST player. McManus is the odd man out.

Missing out Roc Charmichael there. I have no problem with the Harris situation for now.

As I see it, KJ has spent this season recovering from last. Why put the next guy you draft in that same situation. When you look at what Wade and Vance have done in a short off-season with JoJo who's improved from good to elite, Allen and KJ who's weaknesses have been minimized, and McCain, who is back to his rookie form. Why one earth wouldn't you believe that behind the scenes Harris has spent this season getting better without the pressure to play. I can't wait to see him in pre-season.

gary 01-12-2012 04:58 PM

Don't forget about Carmichael too who is on IR right now.

eriadoc 01-12-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 1878310)
Missing out Roc Charmichael there. I have no problem with the Harris situation for now.

As I see it, KJ has spent this season recovering from last. Why put the next guy you draft in that same situation.

There's a fair bit of middle ground between throwing a rookie out there as a starter with no competent vet across from him like they did to KJ and benching a second round rookie for an entire season. I'd feel a lot better about Harris if they had played him sparingly, in dime packages or certain situations. As it stands, he played nothing until the final game for a few snaps.

welsh texan 01-12-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriadoc (Post 1878318)
There's a fair bit of middle ground between throwing a rookie out there as a starter with no competent vet across from him like they did to KJ and benching a second round rookie for an entire season. I'd feel a lot better about Harris if they had played him sparingly, in dime packages or certain situations. As it stands, he played nothing until the final game for a few snaps.

Yes but we have 7 CB's on our roster, one of which got put on IR presumably to stash him. Only 2 of those are established vets, the rest have shown flashes of potential. McCain belongs in this league, McMannis deserved his chance to prove whether or not he did, I doubt he belongs on this team next season. Allen possibly moves on depending on cost, but in a numbers game they may feel its better to take the potential over the guy who's hit his ceiling and will cost a lot more. Who knows.

eriadoc 01-12-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welsh texan (Post 1878331)
Yes but we have 7 CB's on our roster, one of which got put on IR presumably to stash him. Only 2 of those are established vets, the rest have shown flashes of potential. McCain belongs in this league, McMannis deserved his chance to prove whether or not he did, I doubt he belongs on this team next season. Allen possibly moves on depending on cost, but in a numbers game they may feel its better to take the potential over the guy who's hit his ceiling and will cost a lot more. Who knows.

I mostly agree. When money comes into play, I have no hard stance on it either way. When we're talking strictly about play on the field, however, Allen has been our second best CB. I'd hate for the team to let go their second best CB, especially when they've done nothing on the field to prepare the second round draft pick, Harris. As I said before, I'd feel a lot better about it if they'd played Harris some at dime this year.

Wolf 01-12-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Brandon Harris rookie diary: Winning, watching, waiting

By Brandon Harris, Special to HoustonTexans.com

Posted Dec 10, 2011

The season, itís been long. Itís been rough in some ways. Coming out of college, starting as a freshman, playing three years and leaving early and getting drafted in the second round here in Houston, there were a lot of high expectations of myself. I put a lot of high expectations on myself, also. The seasonís just had a different route for me right now this year. And nothing Iíve done wrong, itís just weíre playing so well right now as a team, as a secondary, the coaches feel like itís a great opportunity for me to just sit back, to learn from all the guys thatís in front of me, all the guys that are out there competing every weekend, just take mental notes and learn how to be a pro, learn little things like breaking down film and studying your opponent. They think itís going to help me become a great player in the future.

Itís kind of been different for me, but I understand my situation. I understand whatís going on, and Iíve always been a team player. Whatever the team needs to do to get better and to help the team perform well, Iím willing to do that. I know a lot of fans have been out there, theyíve been requesting me on Twitter. A lot of people want to see me out there. Iím excited that people want to see my play. Thatís exciting for me. That makes me come to practice every day and work even harder, because I know thereís people out there that want to see me on the field. Theyíre asking about me, like ĎWhen we gonna get a chance to see you?í Theyíre excited, and I just want to let them know Iím excited, also. My time is going to come, and when it does, Iíll be sure to make it worthwhile.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...8-6250cac64876

Jaysol 01-12-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 1878338)

Nice find! Rep+