Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88777)

gary 01-09-2012 01:33 PM

Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.

infantrycak 01-09-2012 01:38 PM

Re: Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

Why trot your third string RB out in the playoffs when your 1st and 2nd string 4 down backs are healthy?

Ryan 01-09-2012 01:38 PM

I could see him getting 3-5 carries per game but any more than that would probably be a stretch.

disaacks3 01-09-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 1875519)
Why trot your third string RB out in the playoffs when your 1st and 2nd string 4 down backs are healthy?

Yep, you rest starters FOR the playoffs, not IN the playoffs.

Texecutioner 01-09-2012 01:42 PM

It's hard enough getting enough carries for Tate as it is. Ward has played well when called in, but he has Tate and Foster in front of him and we need those guys out there in the playoffs Gary.

Wolf6151 01-09-2012 01:43 PM

Ward's a good RB, I'd give him a few carries per game just to take some of the load off of Foster and Tate but in the playoffs you go with your best man and that's Foster.

ArlingtonTexan 01-09-2012 01:43 PM

The simple answer is that foster is better down-in, down-out RB back than any of the Saints RB. He did not look like he needed rest in the 4th quarter the last game.

amazing80 01-09-2012 01:46 PM

No, I am a firm believer of guys getting a groove for the game and getting stronger as they go on. Foster, AND to an extent Tate, are exactly that. They start off kind of then BOOM just explode as the defense wears down. And when Foster is not in the groove Tate has been. IF both were playing crappy in the game, THE MAYBE, just maybe consider Ward, but if it were me, I would just continue to roll Foster out there because he is an elite player and elite players makes things happen when the times get tough.....

gary 01-09-2012 01:49 PM

Juses, I am just talking about a few carries if you have him use him.

thunderkyss 01-09-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1875517)
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.

The thing about New Orleans, is that they have 3 different style running backs. Since they all bring something different to the table, the OC finds ways to get them in the game.

Foster pretty much does everything. Tate is a close second, also very well rounded. Ward, while a good back, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1875533)
Juses, I am just talking about a few carries if you have him use him.

If you're not going to like the answer, you shouldn't ask the question?

gary 01-09-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1875535)
The thing about New Orleans, is that they have 3 different style running backs. Since they all bring something different to the table, the OC finds ways to get them in the game.

Foster pretty much does everything. Tate is a close second, also very well rounded. Ward, while a good back, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

If you're not going to like the answer, you shouldn't ask the question?

Because there is no need to think that I want Ward to start.

BigBull17 01-09-2012 02:03 PM

The only reason would be if Tate or Foster got overwhelmed. Your 3rd string RB stays on the bench. If Foster had continued to fumble and jump offsides, then maybe you think about it, but no.

gary 01-09-2012 02:10 PM

So no one agrees with me and that is fine to each their own.

TimeKiller 01-09-2012 02:11 PM

If all goes to plan right now, Ward will only see special teams from here on out. Foster is a hoss and Tate does a damn good impression of one. Ward is a solid option at #3 but I think it would be a bit of a dilemma if he sees even one carry for the rest of the season. It's not Ward, he's good. It's Foster and Tate. They're better.

gary 01-09-2012 02:34 PM

Yes, they are better but I still think all three should be used but I am not angry either.

welsh texan 01-09-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1875578)
Yes, they are better but I still think all three should be used but I am not angry either.

Gary, whilst I can't agree with giving Ward any real game-time given the context that we're heading into the divisional playoffs (to me, like everyone else it seems, you just don't take your #1 & #2 out of the game unless it becomes necessary).

That said, this is something I do think should have happened more in the regular season, Ward should have been getting a few reps a game when healthy, to slightly lower the number of reps on the other 2 guys. He also should have been getting loads of reps in blowouts where we were just running the clock and seeing out the 4th quarter.

That said, when I'm complaining about the lack of use our 3rd string running back has had, I must be pretty freaking content!!

steelbtexan 01-09-2012 03:08 PM

In the playoffs you dont use your 3rd team RB, except in cases of emergency/blowout.

Ward is going to look pretty good playing for the Lions/Giants next yr.

MannyFresh 01-09-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1875606)
In the playoffs you dont use your 3rd team RB, except in cases of emergency/blowout.

Ward is going to look pretty good playing for the Lions/Giants next yr.

He'd make great trade bait with other options for another respectable true #2 WR thats for sure.

Hardcore Texan 01-09-2012 03:14 PM

I wonder if he is any good at KR? But that's about it. Foster and Tate are much, much better. I'd rather not see Ward on offense, cause that means the other two are healthy.

Blake 01-09-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary (Post 1875517)
Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

You are probably right. He should be carrying more helmets and shoulder pads.

While I like Ward as a player, as long as Foster and Tate are healthy, Ward is a nice insurance policy.