Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Pressure without blitzing (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88716)

buddyboy 01-07-2012 11:55 PM

Pressure without blitzing
 
Anyone see ESPN's little stat ticker?

"The Texans' defense rushed four or fewer pass rushers on 37 of Andy Dalton's 47 dropbacks on Saturday, and Dalton struggled throwing into coverage."

I remember someone having concerns that we relied too much on blitzing, but the stat surprised me! We still got some pretty good pressure on Dalton without blitzing; our defensive line is getting back to playing at a high level. Gotta keep it up for next game!

bo orlando 01-08-2012 12:05 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 1873976)
Anyone see ESPN's little stat ticker?

"The Texans' defense rushed four or fewer pass rushers on 37 of Andy Dalton's 47 dropbacks on Saturday, and Dalton struggled throwing into coverage."

I remember someone having concerns that we relied too much on blitzing, but the stat surprised me! We still got some pretty good pressure on Dalton without blitzing; our defensive line is getting back to playing at a high level. Gotta keep it up for next game!

seemed to me like texans blitzed some early in the game and got burned with the screens and short passing (and i think the PI play to aj green as well). once texans started rushing four, dalton seemed flustered when he had to scan the field and look for his second and third options.

dream_team 01-08-2012 12:07 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
No surprise... they did this in the first game too.

TheCD 01-08-2012 12:28 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Hopefully this means that we have plenty of tricks up our sleeve for the ravens game...and they lay an egg since they seem due for it again.

Allstar 01-08-2012 12:31 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/J...78xHTc0n3l.jpg

LET'S GET IT

thunderkyss 01-08-2012 12:39 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 1873976)
Anyone see ESPN's little stat ticker?

"The Texans' defense rushed four or fewer pass rushers on 37 of Andy Dalton's 47 dropbacks on Saturday, and Dalton struggled throwing into coverage."

I remember someone having concerns that we relied too much on blitzing, but the stat surprised me! We still got some pretty good pressure on Dalton without blitzing; our defensive line is getting back to playing at a high level. Gotta keep it up for next game!

That was me, my point being we don't need to talk about going forward without Mario until we can pressure the QB without the blitz.

Now, we can start having that conversation.

buddyboy 01-08-2012 12:44 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1873992)
That was me, my point being we don't need to talk about going forward without Mario until we can pressure the QB without the blitz.

Now, we can start having that conversation.

Bengals' O-line isn't a strength, is it? I wanna see how they do against a more legit opponent/O-line.

Too early to say we need Mario, too early to say we don't. Judging by our overall defensive pressure this year, I'd say we're doing pretty well. Mario just may be that piece that would be nice to have, but not necessary.

Marcus 01-08-2012 02:08 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
I have never thought this team would be a winning team until the day ever arrived that they could get pressure on the QB without having to "manufacture" it with the blitz.

I know I'll get disagreed with, but I believe our ability to get a rush with just 4 people, instead of rushing 5 or 6, has made a bigger difference in the improvement of the defense than Wade Phillips scheme or improved secondary. I know Phillips and the secondary are getting the most credit, but to me, it it's music to my ears when I hear about the QB getting hurried with 4 man rush. You always have to sacrifice something if you rush more than 4.

Regarding Mario, I would think the injuries that we've had this season would be reason enough to dispel any notion of "going forward without Mario". You can't have too many legitimate pass rushers.

Nitrofish 01-08-2012 03:07 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
The key to being successful is being able to adapt. To say that we should never blitz is laughable, even if the front 4 are generating pressure. Some QB's will pick you apart when you blitz while others will fall apart.

Adapt to your opponent and blitz when necessary.

We have to see what Mario can do in this system, especially with a full camp, etc. In my mind there is not even a question whether we keep him or not.

TexanBacker93 01-08-2012 08:15 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 1873995)
Bengals' O-line isn't a strength, is it? I wanna see how they do against a more legit opponent/O-line.

Too early to say we need Mario, too early to say we don't. Judging by our overall defensive pressure this year, I'd say we're doing pretty well. Mario just may be that piece that would be nice to have, but not necessary.

They only gave up 25 sacks this year. That's not even 2 a game. While it's not indicative of great line play I think it's safe to say they are good. Benson had 1,000 yards as well.

amazing80 01-08-2012 08:17 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Our dline is awesome. Our lb core is awesome. Our secondary is awesome.


Too bad Brice McCain is like 5 foot, because I think he is our best cover corner, but just too small to match up against bigger wide outs.....he has made play after play all season when he is in there

welsh texan 01-08-2012 08:42 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amazing80 (Post 1874120)
Too bad Brice McCain is like 5 foot, because I think he is our best cover corner, but just too small to match up against bigger wide outs.....he has made play after play all season when he is in there

Dude looked pretty good as a rookie as well, regressed last season and looks better again this year. This team is going to have to cut some really good depth players from their CB core this off-season as the numbers are too many.

Lucky 01-08-2012 08:52 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 1873995)
Bengals' O-line isn't a strength, is it? I wanna see how they do against a more legit opponent/O-line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 (Post 1874116)
They only gave up 25 sacks this year. That's not even 2 a game. While it's not indicative of great line play I think it's safe to say they are good. Benson had 1,000 yards as well.

I think the Bengals' o-line has done a very good of protecting Dalton this year. They don't open a lot of holes, which is one reason their running game is so pedestrian. But as far as protecting the passer, I'd say they're as good, or better, than the Ravens' o-line.
Quote:

Originally Posted by amazing80 (Post 1874120)
Too bad Brice McCain is like 5 foot, because I think he is our best cover corner...

No, Joseph is the Texans best cover corner. But McCain, and all of the returning players in the secondary, have improved under the new coaching staff. With the improved pass rush the Texans have this season, they've held their own more often than not.

Houston_Fanatic 01-08-2012 10:16 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1874017)
I have never thought this team would be a winning team until the day ever arrived that they could get pressure on the QB without having to "manufacture" it with the blitz.

I know I'll get disagreed with, but I believe our ability to get a rush with just 4 people, instead of rushing 5 or 6, has made a bigger difference in the improvement of the defense than Wade Phillips scheme or improved secondary. I know Phillips and the secondary are getting the most credit, but to me, it it's music to my ears when I hear about the QB getting hurried with 4 man rush. You always have to sacrifice something if you rush more than 4.

Regarding Mario, I would think the injuries that we've had this season would be reason enough to dispel any notion of "going forward without Mario". You can't have too many legitimate pass rushers.

The only part I disagree with is not giving Wade the credit for adjusting our scheme to fit the opponent. The guy is phenomenal at reading the offense and making adjustments.

But agree that you have to have the talent to rush 4 and get pressure or you are limited in the adjustments you can even make.

CloakNNNdagger 01-08-2012 10:27 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
FWIW, Dalton was tied with Brees at 22nd with 24 QB sacks. Flacco at 15th with 31 sacks is certainly not invulnerable.

Marcus 01-08-2012 10:56 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
In preceding seasons, blitzes were completely ineffective because the opposing team knew that that we couldn't generate pressure with just the down linemen. That made it super easy for them to read our defense.

To say that was only a "scheme" issue is laughable. You have to have the talent also, as J.J. Watt has clearly demonstrated.

dream_team 01-08-2012 11:40 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
I think most of the pressure was due to good coverage.

In the first half, Texans were leaving a lot of the underneath stuff open, and Dalton was hitting them quick. In the second half, they seemed to do better against the short routes, and gave time for the pass rushers to get to Dalton.

thunderkyss 01-08-2012 11:46 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus (Post 1874017)
I have never thought this team would be a winning team until the day ever arrived that they could get pressure on the QB without having to "manufacture" it with the blitz.

I know I'll get disagreed with, but I believe our ability to get a rush with just 4 people, instead of rushing 5 or 6, has made a bigger difference in the improvement of the defense than Wade Phillips scheme or improved secondary. I know Phillips and the secondary are getting the most credit, but to me, it it's music to my ears when I hear about the QB getting hurried with 4 man rush. You always have to sacrifice something if you rush more than 4.

buddyboy is right, this may still be too early, other factors have to be taken into account.

If the stat is true, it is only for this game. From what I've seen, we still rely on the blitz way too much to generate pressure.... but I haven't seen the Bengals (play-off) game yet.

thunderkyss 01-08-2012 11:52 AM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrofish (Post 1874034)
The key to being successful is being able to adapt. To say that we should never blitz is laughable, even if the front 4 are generating pressure. Some QB's will pick you apart when you blitz while others will fall apart.

What's laughable, is that you think someone even said we should never blitz.

If a team can only get pressure on the QB by blitzing, that team has a problem, a weakness that can be exploited.

dream_team 01-08-2012 12:07 PM

Re: Pressure without blitzing
 
In technical terms, are we actually blitzing just about every down?

Since we're technically a 3-4 team, wouldn't it be considered a blitz if we rush 4 guys?

If we're always rushing 4 guys, then wouldn't that actually make us a 4-3 team?

Not trying to be an ass, just something I've wondered about. What's the difference between a 3-4 & 4-3 defense if we're stilling lining up 4 guys on the LOS most of the time?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger