Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Poll: TJ Yates or Delhomme? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88446)

CretorFrigg 01-02-2012 01:43 AM

Poll: TJ Yates or Delhomme?

Would you start TJ Yates or Delhomme in the playoffs?

My first vote goes to TJ Yates. He's got more upside than Delhomme. Delhomme's shown us what he's capable of, especially during the playoffs. He's not going to radically change. He's a turnover waiting to happen.

TJ Yates is still growing as a rookie and learning. He's struggled the last few games, but he was on target and confident on the first drive against the Titans. We don't know what to expect from him, but he's got way more potential.

Norg 01-02-2012 02:14 AM

Re: Poll: TJ Yates or Delhomme?

I hope this does not happen but this is how i see it play out

T sizzle or freaking Ravens NT CODY or someone knocks/lights tj up thus taking him out of the game Jake comes in and leads us to victory beatin the ravens

Scooter 01-02-2012 03:35 AM

delhomme by a mile. in a year or two i take yates, but on THIS team in THIS season, we need a game manager ... not a rookie that we have to alter the offense and routes for. anyone saying the offense doesnt change for yates is absolutely full of it.

take away potential, next season, madden, and possibilities. strip it down to the Texans' best chance of winning playoff games this season. delhomme is more capable of delivering.

Marcus 01-02-2012 04:48 AM

Delhomme.

Both of them are turnovers waiting to happen, but I'll take the turnover waiting to happen that has some playoff experience.

Come to think of it, Matt Schaub was a turnover waiting to happen. As a matter of fact, all NFL QBs are turnovers waiting to happen.

Nitrofish 01-02-2012 05:05 AM

I like Yates and commend him for what he has accomplished, but on a treacherous mountain road, (the playoffs) I would rather have an experienced bus driver who knows the route inside and out, even if he does have a few fender benders, than a wounded rookie on his first trip. I voted for Delhomme.

If you take the wait and see approach, the bus may already be off the cliff.

SheTexan 01-02-2012 05:27 AM

I voted TJ, simply because he's probably our future starter, but, I don't think it really matters this year. Kubiak is running the show, so we'll probably be history after next Sat. I hope I'm wrong, and the man grows some between now and then, but, just like waiting 10 yrs for my team to make the playoffs, I've waited 5 yrs for Kubes to grow as a HC! We'll see what the man is really made of next Sat. Personally, I think he'll have a noose around the neck of either QB.

Scooter 01-02-2012 05:58 AM

if we want to force ourselves into the superbowl, it matters this year. i think you're right that yates is the future, but apparently i have more optimism. i'm going to my first game in 2 years (season ticket holder since 04 unable to cope with the highs and lows in person) next week. damned if i'm going into it with the mindset of "well, we're working on next season" or "kubiak is going to put a strangle hold on this one ...".

the post season is what kubiak builds for. shannahan as well as any bronco will tell you that kubiak's far sighted playcalling lead to their superbowl wins. we're there. the week 1 offset bunch and week 17 split TE inside WR set may very well be combined focal points because we executed each in game situations. at the same time, he's sitting on next game's week 4 three tightend and week 13 stacked ace weak formations because of the safety matchup. the man catches a ton of hell, and if we lose it'll be a hurricane, but there's noone else i'd want calling the shots in the postseason because he has literally been setting this up all season.

ObsiWan 01-02-2012 06:57 AM

This is a tougher call than I thought it would be.
T.J.
+ Been in the offense longer; should know it better
+ Younger and likely a bit faster if he has to run
- Is a bit dinged up and I worry if that will affect his longer/deeper throws
- Doesn't always keep his eyes downfield when avoiding the rush

Jake
+ More playoff experience (went toe-to-toe with Brady in the 2003 SB; threw for 330+ yds, 3 TDs, no INTs)
+ Appears to keep the play alive longer than TJ by moving around in the pocket. Keeps eyes downfield while so doing
- Not here long enough to know the whole playbook. Don't want our offense any more limited than it is
- Accuracy could be a shade better; I saw a couple of balls thrown behind folks. ...but that could be rust.

I think I would give the edge to TJ just because of his additional experience in our offense. But I wouldn't be too skeerd if Jake had to come in off the bench. I'm probably alone in this but liked what I saw from Jake more than what I saw from Leinart. ...and Leinart had 1st-stringers to throw to.

Kthx 01-02-2012 07:48 AM

I have to go with TJ here, hes already beaten the Bengals once this year so for the next game at least I would much rather have TJ in. But Jake did come in looking halfway decent I wouldn't mind if he had to jump in for some reason at the half if things were looking bad either.

SeminoleTexan 01-02-2012 08:49 AM

I'd go with TJ Yates since he's been in the offense longer and during the game yesterday the announcers mentioned that he had been working on new plays and stuff during the past week. At least we know that Jake will be ready to come in if TJ happens to get hurt or gets rattled.

TexCanada 01-02-2012 09:41 AM

I voted TJ based on the assumption that he will be healthy and not affected by his injury. Delhomme should he the guy though if TJ is affected at all by this injury.

TejasTom 01-02-2012 09:47 AM

I liked what TJ did in the first drive.

Porky 01-02-2012 09:57 AM

Delhomme is my vote. Not that it matters.

TJ is clearly a better runner. His arm may be a tad better. He is the more experienced QB in THIS offense. He's played more games this year. All of these factors favor TJ. At this stage, he has more physical ability than Jake as well.

Delhomme is a veteran who has seen everything, and played on the biggest stage an NFL QB can. I like his deep ball better in terms of accuracy. While he can't run, I like his ability to duck and sidestep better while keeping eyes downfield. Those are vet moves. He seemed to take more intermediate targets and WR targets than TJ, who is in love with the RB's and TE's 10 yds and in. TJ rarely throws between 12-25 yds. Delhomme will and I think that helps our running game. OTOH, he was clearly pretty rusty and his accuracy was off at times.

To me, it's almost a tie until you talk about experience and experience in the playoffs trumps physical ability every time.

Schaub is clearly better than both put together imho but Matt is on crutches and it is what it is. Neither of these guys at this stage in their respective career can take this team to the SB so it's probably a moot point.

Corrosion 01-02-2012 10:49 AM

At this time the poll is 23-21 in favor of Yates .... Pretty close call. I cant make up my mind .... much like this poll , Im on the fence. :boogereater:

Texanator 01-02-2012 11:02 AM

Until we can get our receivers to catch the @$%^ ball, it's almost a moot point.

I like T.J., but he needs a little bit longer to understand the pros.(Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore)

Jake has the experience we need to go deep in the playoffs, even if he is a bit old.
I have to go with Jake!

On this matter, do we know for sure, just how banged up TJ got against the Tits?

EllisUnit 01-02-2012 11:31 AM

i'm really surprised so many people voted for Jake, this is the same titans team we beat 41-7 when schaub was healthy. Jake didnt look bad yesterday, but the kid has dont good things for us, and he has already beaten the bengals in their house. Now we play them at home, no u stay with TJ.

Dont forget a few bad passes Jake had that should of been INTs yetserday, One was a terrible throw and the CB would of had the pick 6 luckily the player had just eaten popcorn and dropped it.

Lucky 01-02-2012 11:35 AM

I don't want to knock Jake. It was his first game in over a year and he's been with the team for a month. But he threw what should have been a pick 6, lost a fumble, and was generally erratic. He's rusty. He did a commendable job on Sunday, considering. Still, starting Jake over TJ at this point makes no sense. And is why Kubiak will start TJ on Saturday.

Texecutioner 01-02-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllisUnit (Post 1868795)
i'm really surprised so many people voted for Jake, this is the same titans team we beat 41-7 when schaub was healthy. Jake didnt look bad yesterday, but the kid has dont good things for us, and he has already beaten the bengals in their house. Now we play them at home, no u stay with TJ.

Dont forget a few bad passes Jake had that should of been INTs yetserday, One was a terrible throw and the CB would of had the pick 6 luckily the player had just eaten popcorn and dropped it.

You don't stay with TJ Yates because of that. Yates hasn't looked good at all.

I'm not saying it's an easy decision to go with Jake either. He's one of the last options I'd ever want to see at QB, but so is Yates right now.

We're ****ed either way, and we'll have to hope that our defense and running game can make some major plays.

Lucky 01-02-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 1868801)
Yates hasn't looked good at all.

That's just not accurate. Yates had good moments in the Atlanta and Cincy game. He looked good in the opening drive, yesterday. And Kubiak has dialed back the playbook, especially since clinching. Not looked good "at all"? That's flat out wrong.

axman40 01-02-2012 11:43 AM

I would like to see Yates start in hurry up mode and force the Bengals to stay in their base defense.
:fans: