Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Shockey calls out Texans - they don't love America! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88044)

Kimmy 12-18-2011 04:10 PM

Shockey calls out Texans - they don't love America!

Anyone hear Shockey's post game comments? He said we had about 12 players crossing their arms during the Anthem before the game.

He went on and on about it.

Funny thing is, this isn't the first time this has been brought up. :texflag:

BullBlitz 12-18-2011 04:12 PM

Re: Shockey calls out Texans - they don't love America!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmy (Post 1858975)
Anyone hear Shockey's post game comments? He said we had about 12 players crossing their arms during the Anthem before the game.

Although it's kind of annoying coming from Shockey, if I were Mr. McNair I would correct this.

Kimmy 12-18-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BullBlitz (Post 1858977)
Although it's kind of annoying coming from Shockey, if I were Mr. McNair I would correct this.

I agree! It's been reported more than once, twice, three times.

Having had a kid in the Navy and knowing how much they respect that flag, brings it home a little more for me.

Thorn 12-18-2011 04:15 PM

First I've heard of this. What is this all about?

Dishman 12-18-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

When else did this go down in the past? And screw Shockey.

MadBurgerMaker 12-18-2011 04:16 PM

Meh. So what? You aren't required to have your hand over your heart for the national anthem. One of the things about living in the US.

Showtime100 12-18-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dishman (Post 1858983)
When else did this go down in the past? And screw Shockey.

I love how that post reads..:lol:

I agree with the rest, though. If true they need to correct the problem, and I do believe it should be considered a problem. And screw Shockey.

Kimmy 12-18-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1858981)
First I've heard of this. What is this all about?

We (the team) have been called out by not standing "at full attention" during the National Anthem several times.

Shockey went on this evening about how it's disrespectful, blah, blah, blah.

Problem is, he's RIGHT! Never in a straight line, never at full attention.

As someone who gets a little misty eyed every time (I am a girl after all) they play that anthem, it bugs me.

Mr. White 12-18-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmy (Post 1858989)
As someone who gets a little misty eyed every time (I am a girl after all) they play that anthem, it bugs me.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a gender-specific phenomenon. My allergies always seem to flare up when the National Anthem gets played. It's the damndest thing...

I believe in every American's right to act however the hell they want during the National Anthem, but not people that represent my business interests. I agree that McNair should put his foot in someone's ass over this.

Kimmy 12-18-2011 04:31 PM

Link

Quote:

Jeremy Shockey had a reason for his obnoxious (un-penalized) taunting after his touchdown reception on Sunday. Or at least a reason he gave reporters.

Apparently, the Carolina tight end thought the host Texans didn’t show proper respect toward America in the pregame festivities.

Shockey told reporters that he was upset some of the Texans did not place their hands on their hearts during the National Anthem before the Panthers’ 28-13 victory at Reliant Stadium.

Shockey scored on a 9-yard touchdown pass from Cam Newton in the second quarter. He broke tackles by DeMeco Ryans and Jason Allen to reach the end zone, then got in their faces and taunted them.

It gave the Panthers a 14-0 lead in their 28-13 victory.

TexanSam 12-18-2011 04:33 PM

I don't have a problem with it. They're allowed to stand anyway they want during the anthem.

Showtime100 12-18-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexanSam (Post 1859001)
I don't have a problem with it. They're allowed to stand anyway they want during the anthem.

Agree, if a person wants to be a disrespectful ass during the anthem, it is indeed their right. No disrespect or sarcasm intended there, Sam. Just the way I feel. :)

False Start 12-18-2011 04:37 PM

He also called Demeco, "Demario Ryans, or whatever." :thinking:

TexansBull 12-18-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Says a lot about the team's attitude pre-game. Arms crossed tells me that they weren't taking the other team seriously or the moment.

False Start 12-18-2011 04:38 PM

Here are Shockey's words, off the 610 website.

PapaL 12-18-2011 04:40 PM

Meh, no story here.

AnthonyE 12-18-2011 04:42 PM

I think Shockey's a loudmouth punk who was ousted by 2 different teams for his attitude. He just wants to be back in the spotlight like his glory days 6+ years ago.

Thorn 12-18-2011 04:42 PM

Luv ya Kimmy.

But as US citizens, we have the right to disagree with our government. Personally, I don't think the Texans players are making a political statement here, they're just being football players. Most of whom are making a thousand times as much as they would if they had to actually work for living. This is much ado about nothing as I see it.

cdollaz 12-18-2011 04:46 PM

Of course, the only way he would know is if he himself was being disrespectful and watching the other team instead of having his eyes fixed on the flag. Look in the mirror, jackass.

Kimmy 12-18-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1859011)
Luv ya Kimmy.

But as US citizens, we have the right to disagree with our government. Personally, I don't think the Texans players are making a political statement here, they're just being football players. Most of whom are making a thousand times as much as they would if they had to actually work for living. This is much ado about nothing as I see it.

Luv Ya Too, you dirty old man :)

I agree, as much as it is their right not to respect the flag, it's as much my right to be annoyed by it.

It didn't really bother me till my daughter entered the Navy. We were lucky enough to attend a "tiger cruise" on her carrier. Watching all those soldiers stop and salute the flag before they came aboard really changed my way of thinking :) :worldpeace: