Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Can The Texans Win 9+ games this year?? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8804)

WpgTexansFan 04-29-2005 07:17 PM

Can The Texans Win 9+ games this year??

Personally i believe with all the changes made towards the Texans defense this year that they can infact win over 9 games this year... I also think that Carr has what it takes to lead what has proved to be .. or have the ability to be an explosive offense... Are the changes going to be enough??

texan279 04-29-2005 07:20 PM

We will go 10-6 this season... :heh:

WpgTexansFan 04-29-2005 07:21 PM

Heres a Better question..

With all the Power teams losing players .. can the texans say upset a couple of the powerhouse teams in the AFC and steal a playoff spot from say.. the broncos?

Grid 04-29-2005 07:35 PM

The Broncs wont make the playoffs this year.. their schedule is too hard.

I would say it is a distinct possibility.. I love the changes we have made and would say we have PROBABLY become a stronger team.. but there are alot more intangibles now. before we let Glenn and Sharper go, i would have said 10-6 easy.. but with Greenwood and Buchanan.. Im still saying 10-6 :)..but Im not as sure as I was before hehe.

Lucky 04-29-2005 07:47 PM

If David Carr is given protection, there's not a doubt in my mind the Texans win 9+ games in '05. Heck, if the Texans could've gone 5-3 at home rather that 3-5, they would have won 9 games in '04. I don't want to hear the "we have 4 new starters on defense" excuse, that's for sure.

Protect the QB + Protect the Homefield = Playoff Season.

TexansTrueFan 04-29-2005 09:57 PM

we will win 11 games this season, we will have a top 15 defense and a top 10 offense,,,i AM a homer, but thats what makes beign fans great :)

Porky 04-29-2005 10:08 PM

I would be surprised if we win 9+. Going into the offseason, I thought we might, but I think in some ways we have regressed, at least over the near term. Longer term may be a different story. We definately helped the return game in a big way, but we may also see a few more turnovers and negative plays. The defense will be younger, faster, and more athletic. We will also have 5 new starters, less depth, less leadership, and less overall experience. The offense will have more experience, the blocking schemes may be adjusted, and Joppru may actually give us a decent TE. OTOH, if Joppru isn't healthy, we have nothing in the way of a dual threat at TE, Carr hasn't shown he can lead a team to the playoffs, and the line may give us more of the same inconsistent play. The draft did not yield an instant impact playmaker in round one, nor was the offensive line addressed. We are razor thin at LB. We have nobody behind the four starters that would be a likely starter at any of the 31 other teams, and the team spun it's wheels at the very best with the PB trade. So, if you want to look at this team with steel blue colored glasses, that's okay by me. That's the perogtive of a fan. But, I say we win roughly the same number as last year, give or take 1 win. I do think we will see improvement throughout the season, and IF we have a good offseason next year, I think we will be a real playoff contender in 2006.

My Two cents. :whistle:

DocBar 04-29-2005 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky
If David Carr is given protection, there's not a doubt in my mind the Texans win 9+ games in '05. Heck, if the Texans could've gone 5-3 at home rather that 3-5, they would have won 9 games in '04. I don't want to hear the "we have 4 new starters on defense" excuse, that's for sure.

When have we NOT had 4 new starters on EITHER side of the ball?? 10-6. Put it in the books. Bank on it. Play-offs....mmmmmmmmmmm maybe. texanpride

FILO_girl 04-29-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky

True words of wisdom. I agree totally with your post Lucky, same theory I told Channel 13 on Draft day....except all they showed on TV is me saying "9 and 7". No more excuses boys, the expansion label has wore off. And for Gods sake.........protect Carr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas_Thrill 04-29-2005 11:45 PM

I'm with Porky on this one (though in my head we go 16-0 before the start of every season....its only when reality kicks in at the end of the season i come to terms with us not being such.)

I think near term we will suffer just from the clearl YOUTH movement.
Glenn, Sharper, Foreman just to name a few. Is payne coming off injury again? I can never keep up.

Joppru if he starts will take time to learn the offense and especailly develop chemistry with a alreayd pourous OL.

I don't get our OL strategy or lack there of. Maybe we are signing some players or maybe we think a year of bonding did the trick (though unlikely since we went after O pace.) Speaking of which what happen with that trade?

I haven't seen our schedule for the year but I'm thinking more 7-9 again.

DocBar 04-29-2005 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I don't get our OL strategy or lack there of. Maybe we are signing some players or maybe we think a year of bonding did the trick (though unlikely since we went after O pace.) Speaking of which what happen with that trade?

I haven't seen our schedule for the year but I'm thinking more 7-9 again.

Of course we went after Pace. He's one of the best in the biz. Does that mean wholesale panic?? I think not. There just weren't any good OL FA's or draft picks this year. Remember Jordan Gross? Lots of people said he was the next great thing. Now he's moving back to RT since noone(including Gross) is comfortable with his progress at LT. OK!!! Off my :soapbox:

F-minus67 04-30-2005 12:25 AM

We could have won at least 10 games this year if they didn't let Packer's game slip away.

TexanFanInCC 04-30-2005 04:14 AM

Quote:

we will win 11 games this season, we will have a top 15 defense and a top 10 offense,,,i AM a homer, but thats what makes beign fans great
gee i wish. i definitely think we will have a top 10 defense. as far as the top 10 offense, well im still skeptical about that. ill give the texans 10 wins this year, beating indy at least once in the process. our defense looks stacked. if buchanon can have a speason anywhere close to the one he had in 03, then it should be blitz city in houston. travis johnson will add attitude and toughness to a very soft d-line. his strength and pass rushing skills up front will help the linebackers tremendously, and boy, i think peek is going to rack in at least 10 sacks. our offensive line needs to be addressed. we saw some of the amazing things that carr can do when he is protected (remember the vikings game when we came back from 21 down in the 4th qtr??) he needs to have full-game protection if we want to see more of the carr that we saw against the vikings.

TheOgre 04-30-2005 08:32 AM

We have done very poorly at home against AFC teams. We really need to go 5-3 at home this year (at worst). I see an 8-8 or 9-7 season this year.

sax_49 04-30-2005 10:36 AM

It's a shame the Texans can't wear Battle Red for every home game, or else they need to have the same mind set they have when wearing Battle Red. Hopefully with the infusion of the new talent it will bring up the level of play of some of the underachieving vets.

Lucky 04-30-2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porky
...So, if you want to look at this team with steel blue colored glasses, that's okay by me.

I'm just taking the Texans' word that they've made improvements. I may not have made the same choices the Texans made in the offseason, but hey I'm a fan. It's their jobs on the line, not mine.

The Texans are telling me the O-line will improve with experience & schematic changes. OK, I'm buying that.

The Texans are telling me that Bennie Joppru is healthy and ready to contribute. I'm buying that, too.

The Texans are telling me that Morlon Greenwood's speed and versatility will be an improvement over Jamie Sharper. Sold.

The Texans are telling me that Antwan Peek is ready to be an everydown OLB. I'm renting to own this one.

The Texans are telling me that Phillip Buchanon is an upgrade over Aaron Glenn. I'll put this on layaway.

Now if I'm being foolish as a fan to listen to what this organization is telling me, well I guess I'll be a fool with a new Travis Johnson #75 Steel Blue jersey (and he will make an impact). But I will hold this organization accountable for what they say to me. And they're telling me that they've made improvements across the board. If that's not worth 2 or 3 more wins, I don't know what to say.

Vinny 04-30-2005 02:16 PM

Good post Lucky. I like the easy monthly payments myself.

SheTexan 04-30-2005 04:12 PM

To answer the title of this thread! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

gr8slayer 04-30-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WpgTexansFan
With all the Power teams losing players .. can the texans say upset a couple of the powerhouse teams in the AFC and steal a playoff spot from say.. the broncos?

"All the power teams losing players?" You all just lost Aaron Glenn and Jamie Sharper. You are in the same boat.

WpgTexansFan 05-01-2005 07:09 PM

Aaron Glenn...

No offense to any of you Aaron Glenn Fans out there... but Glenn is getting old and is washed up... Hes the .. Deion Sanders of the Texans Organization.. and Even though buchannon is NOT a #1 corner ... i believe that Dunta Robinson will have an amazing sophmore season and become that #1 guy... but thats just my opinion