Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   How much longer do we give Carr???? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8789)

Texas_Thrill 04-29-2005 01:50 PM

How much longer do we give Carr????

I wasn't sold on carr when we drafted him but I really liked his grimey play after that first year I was sold.

However I wonder how long does the franchise give him before they can say he isn't a franchise QB?

Just want ya'll thoughts don't think I'm abandoning ship here with carr. We clearly didn't help him not drafting any lineman but with Young and Mcneal coming out in two years possibly its something I think we should at least THINK about.

rittenhouserobz 04-29-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I wasn't sold on carr when we drafted him but I really liked his grimey play after that first year I was sold.

However I wonder how long does the franchise give him before they can say he isn't a franchise QB?

Just want ya'll thoughts don't think I'm abandoning ship here with carr. We clearly didn't help him not drafting any lineman but with Young and Mcneal coming out in two years possibly its something I think we should at least THINK about.

You can keep Vince Young. I can't stand 75% RB/ 25% QB. It does a real disservice to the QB position. Carr should get to start until we have a decent OL. If our OL starts to give him any amount of time and he still cannot connect, then it my be time. Right now is not the time.

El Tejano 04-29-2005 02:26 PM

I give him this year and if his TDs are significantly higher than his INTs, then I think we start tapping him on the shoulder.

Does anyone think it is out of the question to expect 20 TDs and about 12 INTs this year?

THEFUTURE 04-29-2005 02:26 PM

if our line can protect like it did in passing situations in the first half of the season, we will be fine, Carr lit up teams like Minnesota most notably when he was getting time... Carr will be our QB and hopefully will retire as it, Brett Favreish hopefully, Carr can already run, 2nd in QB rushing yards, so its not like he is mollases back there in the pocket

Dime 04-29-2005 02:38 PM

Two more years.. If we dont make the playoffs this year, its the coaches fault, after that... its Carrs (grin). BTW.. he is a decent QB, but he throws alot of his passes behind the reciever instead of to them.

rittenhouserobz 04-29-2005 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dime
Two more years.. If we dont make the playoffs this year, its the coaches fault, after that... its Carrs (grin). BTW.. he is a decent QB, but he throws alot of his passes behind the reciever instead of to them.

You get more arc when you are falling backward. :)

Dime 04-29-2005 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
You get more arc when you are falling backward. :)

Do you mean he can see where he is throwing? :whistle:

jagsfanincanada 04-29-2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
if our line can protect like it did in passing situations in the first half of the season, we will be fine, Carr lit up teams like Minnesota most notably when he was getting time... Carr will be our QB and hopefully will retire as it, Brett Favreish hopefully, Carr can already run, 2nd in QB rushing yards, so its not like he is mollases back there in the pocket

It's not too hard to light up Minnesota...well at least it wasn't last year.

keyfro 04-29-2005 02:55 PM

i think 20td's and 12ints is about par with the rest of the league...i'd hope for more than 20td's but if he's throwing almost 2 td's for every 1 int that's pretty good...you also have to look at him completion percentage...if he's around 64% he's doing pretty good...if he's QB rating is around 80 he's doing great...personally i didn't see a lot of problems with carr last year...i saw a lot of problems with inconsitant play around him...with the o-line and our running game...i think we have the recievers in place for him we just need better pass protection and a more consitant running game...cause if morency and davis can average 4.1 yds a carry...then carr's QB rating will go from 75ish to 82ish

F-minus67 04-29-2005 02:56 PM

Carr was doing a great job until AJ started to get doubled covered every game and he started to depend on DD to much. If Joppru can stay healthly Carr will finally have his break out season.

Grid 04-29-2005 03:05 PM

We give him until he stops getting better. He has gotten better every year so far.

How long should we give DD?

How long should we give AJ?

How long should we give Dunta?

What is the point in questioning good players and wondering how long we should give them before we start trying to replace them?

Vinny 04-29-2005 03:13 PM

I think I have seen enough out of Carr to know he will be here for quite a while. He has come a long way and I think he is starting to read defenses and feel the rush better. He needs to keep getting better at sliding in the pocket but that will come as the line gets better. Great QB's find a way to buy an extra second in the pocket in a hot rush.

WWJD 04-29-2005 03:15 PM

David needs a good TE.

David needs a better performance from the offensive line.

David needs to be healthy all year for this team to do some damage.

David also needs a haircut. New style something. He got on my nerves last year messing with his hair so much. Just kidding. He's a nice looking guy.

texan279 04-29-2005 03:17 PM

I don't think we can say anything about Carr until he has at least GOOD pass protection, not great, but good. And a TE woudln't hurt either...

Tailgate 04-29-2005 03:17 PM

Until he RETIRES.

TexansJunkE 04-29-2005 03:50 PM

as long as he needs. I wish some of you would get a clue, Carr is not the problem! Look at the guy calling the plays and protection calls, and the guys who are suppose to be blocking for him.

infantrycak 04-29-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyfro
i think 20td's and 12ints is about par with the rest of the league...i'd hope for more than 20td's but if he's throwing almost 2 td's for every 1 int that's pretty good...you also have to look at him completion percentage...if he's around 64% he's doing pretty good...if he's QB rating is around 80 he's doing great...personally i didn't see a lot of problems with carr last year...i saw a lot of problems with inconsitant play around him...with the o-line and our running game...i think we have the recievers in place for him we just need better pass protection and a more consitant running game...cause if morency and davis can average 4.1 yds a carry...then carr's QB rating will go from 75ish to 82ish

He picked up 7 more TD's last year and only one more INT. 20+ and around 12-14 INT's should happen. He had 64% completions in the 1st half of last season before the wheels fell off the pass protection, so once again something in that range should happen. He already had a QB rating of 83.5 so getting to 82ish would be back sliding IMO. Over the 1st half of last season his rating was 95.1--carrying that through this coming season is what I hope to see.

wags 04-29-2005 04:25 PM

I think Carr is going to have a huge season. As far as replacing him goes: :slap: gimme a break.

sulli60 04-29-2005 04:33 PM

Dom Capers is the head coach and his forte was supposed to be defense, so unless he can finally start getting some sacks I would say Dom is the first to go. I'm not a huge Palmer fan, so if the defense gets it done and the offense struggles then he could be gone. Dom Caper's style has never been a flashy offense, so I don't see too much pressure on Carr compared to Capers and Palmer.

Carr has made a few bad throws, but I've seen just as many good throws dropped. :ninja:

sulli60 04-29-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill

I love Vince Young and McNeal, but these guys aren't even a lock to get drafted (day 1 or day 2). Vince may need to switch to receiver like Matt Jones in the NFL.