Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Matt Schaub's Contract (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87861)

welsh texan 12-12-2011 05:45 PM

Matt Schaub's Contract

OK, so Matt Schaub's contract needs renewing after next season. With the talent we now have and the youth of this team, the Texans will be in a tight spot signing a number of players to contracts over the next year or two.

With that said, does the emergence of TJ Yates as someone with a higher cieling than Schaub lead the Texans into a difficult decision.

Apart from simply, do you let Schaub go or keep him, there is the question of whether to trade him and get some picks in return this coming offseason, or do you prefer to sit Yates next season and let him learn before making him the full time starter.

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself somewhat, but then again everyone was talking about trading Mario before we'd even seen Brooks Reed play so maybe this discussion is overdue!

Ole Miss Texan 12-12-2011 06:01 PM

Re: Matt Schaub's Contract

Too early to talk about it because there's just so much unkown at this point.

Schaub's health will be a major factor in the decision. There's a good chance he may not even start at the beginning of the 2012 season. How Schaub returns will be a major factor.

How TJ performs these last 3 regular season games and in the playoffs will be a huge factor in it, in my opinion. As well as the start of the 2012 season or throughou next season should Schaub not be healthy enough.

If all TJ does is win and he takes us to the Super Bowl, shows he's a leader of this offense and team, the entire team rallies behind him... it will be hard to push him aside and throw in Schaub fresh off a terrible foot injury.

I'm just not ready to annoint TJ our Franchise QB of the future so I feel lucky that we have the entire 2012 season to look into this. I also don't know how I feel about Garcia and Delhomme being our long term backup QBs either.

Playoffs 12-12-2011 06:04 PM

:kubepalm: :mariopalm: :wadepalm::toropalm: :hankpalm: :facepalm:

Insideop 12-12-2011 06:08 PM

I would resign Schaub. We still need at least 2 experienced QBs. Now, as for Leinart, I think he needs to be released.

srrono 12-12-2011 06:13 PM

lol way to early to think about this

Rey 12-12-2011 06:15 PM

I cant even vote on this becase it's way too early, but if I'm answering right now Matt Schaub at the very least returns to the team.

The Pencil Neck 12-12-2011 06:18 PM

Premature.

texanway 12-12-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 1853935)
I would resign Schaub. We still need at least 2 experienced QBs. Now, as for Leinart, I think he needs to be released.

What are you saying? Leinhart was 10-13 in attempts or something before he got hurt. I was utterly amazed by his statistics. I would try to keep all of them. Every Texans QB was playing very well when they started so you shouldn't release any of them.

Yesterday 12-12-2011 06:35 PM

Trade Schaub, 2013 2nd and 3rd Round Picks to Washington for 2012 1st round pick.

Trade Washington 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2013 1st round pick and 2012 Texans 4th round pick to Indy for 2012 #1 overall pick.

Draft Andrew Luck and win titles.

Goatcheese 12-12-2011 06:48 PM

So you want to replace Schaub (8.5 YPA 96.8 passer rating) because Yates has managed 6.6 YPA and 82.3 passer rating?

He's doing what he needs to in order to help the Texans win, but he's no Matt Schaub. A last second TD drive is nice, but they would have been running clock with Foster and Tate by the end of the 3rd quarter if we still had crazy eyes under center.

Maybe Yates does something magical the rest of the way, but so far, he's a quality backup who could start for some teams with disasters at QB.

Rey 12-12-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatcheese (Post 1853981)
So you want to replace Schaub (8.5 YPA 96.8 passer rating) because Yates has managed 6.6 YPA and 82.3 passer rating?

He's doing what he needs to in order to help the Texans win, but he's no Matt Schaub. A last second TD drive is nice, but they would have been running clock with Foster and Tate by the end of the 3rd quarter if we still had crazy eyes under center.

Maybe Yates does something magical the rest of the way, but so far, he's a quality backup who could start for some teams with disasters at QB.

I'm unsure either way...

I don't think you can look at Schaub's numbers a lone and make the decision. This has to be a football decision...

Besides....If you'd have to assume that Yate's doesn't get any better to strictly look at numbers. That could completely be the case, but I think we should let the season play out and just enjoy what we are seeing...

dream_team 12-12-2011 06:54 PM

I had a feeling this topic would eventually pop up on this board, but this is a bit early.

Dutchrudder 12-12-2011 06:57 PM

I think we need to sit on Schaub's contract until the end of next season. He's going to be 32 by the end of the 2012 season, and probably won't fetch too much on the free agent market given his injury history. I don't think he will be very expensive to re-sign at that point compared to other QBs around the league. We should work to retain him, but after his foot injury it will all depend on how he plays next season if he does play at all.

80tothezone 12-12-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey (Post 1853985)
I'm unsure either way...

I don't think you can look at Schaub's numbers a lone and make the decision. This has to be a football decision...

Besides....If you'd have to assume that Yate's doesn't get any better to strictly look at numbers. That could completely be the case, but I think we should let the season play out and just enjoy what we are seeing...

honestly I short of winning a Superbowl you got to bring schaub back. However it does mean you got someone you can developed behind schaub for a couple yrs.

EllisUnit 12-12-2011 07:41 PM

If yates takes us to a superbowl and wins, then how can you not go with him, but we are not at that point yet.

DocBar 12-12-2011 07:49 PM

I refuse to vote right now. If Yates gets us to the Super Bowl, let's talk about this(ditch Schaub). If he doesn't, try to resign Schaub at a reasonable price. I wouldn't even dream of tradin away draft picks. I would definitely consider gaining them.

Thorn 12-12-2011 07:52 PM

As was stated elsewhere by someone else, at least we know we can now ditch Hot Tub Boy. But for now, that's all we know. We need to see how much Yates improves over the next three games.

EllisUnit 12-12-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1854026)
As was stated elsewhere by someone else, at least we know we can now ditch Hot Tub Boy. But for now, that's all we know. We need to see how much Yates improves over the next three games.

agree, yates has shown poise and potential. but our points per game has gone WAY down since schaub went out, we were still scoring a lot when AJ was out, lets see what he does against the helpless colts, i dont want to have to go through what i went through last sunday, every sunday.

Lucky 12-12-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 1853947)
Premature.

Really. We know Schaub won't be traded. He's rehabbing from injury. We know Yates won't be traded. We also know Schaub will be in the last year of his contract. This will play out in 2012. For all we know, Both Schaub & Yates get injured, and another 3rd string QB emerges.

HJam72 12-12-2011 08:40 PM

Premature DeMattation.