Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Is this still a playoffs or else year for Kubiak (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87260)

Hagar 11-27-2011 04:17 PM

Is this still a playoffs or else year for Kubiak

With the injury to both Schaub and now Leinart, is Kubiak's 8-3 start enough to secure another season as Head Coach?

ziggy29 11-27-2011 04:18 PM

Re: Is this still a playoffs or else year for Kubiak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagar (Post 1837011)
With the injury to both Schaub and now Leinart, is Kubiak's 8-3 start enough to secure another season as Head Coach?

Not if they finish 8-8 or 9-7 and the Tacks win the division. Not even with injuries as an excuse.

fiasco west 11-27-2011 04:18 PM

Nope.

I think Kubes has a free pass even if the team collapses (which I don't see happening any ways)

At least folks can stop saying that the Texans only won because the Colts missed Manning. We're doing alright without our starting QB.

ATXtexanfan 11-27-2011 04:19 PM

kubiak is safe

houstonspartan 11-27-2011 04:23 PM

No.

More.

Excuses.

Period.

The Texans are a Super Bowl-level team. Even if we tank the rest of the season and don't make the playoffs, another coach can come in here next season with this loaded roster and get us rolling.

Enough with the fear of changing coaches already. Look at San Francisco.

Regardless, we're getting ahead of ourselves. We are still in the hunt. Let's see how this plays out.

HTown2ATX 11-27-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 1837028)
No.

More.

Excuses.

Period.

The Texans are a Super Bowl-level team. Even if we tank the rest of the season and don't make the playoffs, another coach can come in here next season with this loaded roster and get us rolling.

Regardless, we're getting ahead of ourselves. We are still in the hunt. Let's see how this plays out.

I would totally agree with you using the 2000 Ravens and a putrid QB like Dilfer as an example. BUT, as bad ass as our D is, I can't say it is the level of that Ravens team........YET........we shall see as the season goes on.

I have been on the get of Kubes train for a while now, but that said, right now I think we are pretty much in the playoffs, which we will probably, if we had to honestly say now, are a 1 and done team since there will be no game against JAX or CLE in the playoffs, but who knows.

So, basically, when we had Schaub in there my expectations were more than just making the playoffs, now, I have been forced to downgrade them somewhat. So, final answer, we make the playoffs and Kubes is safe IMO and I have no beef with that.

houstonspartan 11-27-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTown2ATX (Post 1837048)
I would totally agree with you using the 2000 Ravens and a putrid QB like Dilfer as an example. BUT, as bad ass as our D is, I can't say it is the level of that Ravens team........YET........we shall see as the season goes on.

I have been on the get of Kubes train for a while now, but that said, right now I think we are pretty much in the playoffs, which we will probably, if we had to honestly say now, are a 1 and done team since there will be no game against JAX or CLE in the playoffs, but who knows.

So, basically, when we had Schaub in there my expectations were more than just making the playoffs, now, I have been forced to downgrade them somewhat. So, final answer, we make the playoffs and Kubes is safe IMO and I have no beef with that.

At this point, I am not counting on anything. I am just playing wait and see.

What happens if ATL next week goes after TJ Yates and knocks him around? Then what? It's been THAT kind of year.

Assume nothing.

thunderkyss 11-27-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

I'm sure Kubiak secured another season already. I don't particularly agree with that, but I don't see McNair cutting the cord after what we've been through.
Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 1837028)
No.

More.

Excuses.

Period.

Kinda sorta agree. No more excuses & all, but damn.....

Imagine that Schaub isn't ready for opening day 2012. Then we've got Leinart & Yates. The QB is the cornerstone & continually looking for one is no way to bring in a new coach.

See if Cowher would be interested in Houston knowing Schaub is going to miss time next season & may not be himself ever again.

At the same time, I don't give Kubiak any better odds of succeeding given the same circumstance.

HTown2ATX 11-27-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 1837059)
At this point, I am not counting on anything. I am just playing wait and see.

What happens if ATL next week goes after TJ Yates and knocks him around? Then what? It's been THAT kind of year.

Assume nothing.

Dude, we have a stranglehold on this division. I am not booking playoff tix yet, but seriously. not only would we have to collapse, TEN would have to just be balls out bad ass rest of the year....I don't see it as of yet.

Say Yates does get knocked around.......so, now we have to get a vet street FA to replace a late round rookie from North Carolina who was a 3rd stringer.....that doesn't kill me. Do I want to see that? Of course not, but I don't see it as dropping off a cliff....that may have already happened.......we have to just see what happens now.

I agree with you on no excuses to a degree....I'm just hesitant on the 1st and 2nd string QB's going down. QB is not RB, WR, etc.....we lost our 1st 2 string QB's man. So to me I give a little slack on that.

Not a ton, but some.

houstonspartan 11-27-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTown2ATX (Post 1837084)
Dude, we have a stranglehold on this division. I am not booking playoff tix yet, but seriously. not only would we have to collapse, TEN would have to just be balls out bad ass rest of the year....I don't see it as of yet.

Say Yates does get knocked around.......so, now we have to get a vet street FA to replace a late round rookie from North Carolina who was a 3rd stringer.....that doesn't kill me. Do I want to see that? Of course not, but I don't see it as dropping off a cliff....that may have already happened.......we have to just see what happens now.

I agree with you on no excuses to a degree....I'm just hesitant on the 1st and 2nd string QB's going down. QB is not RB, WR, etc.....we lost our 1st 2 string QB's man. So to me I give a little slack on that.

Not a ton, but some.

We won today, and Tennessee won today. So that still keeps us, what, two games ahead of them?

What happens if we drop our next two and they win their next two?

We will have a "stranglehold" on the division when we actually win it.

ubecool454 11-27-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Yes it is....the defense is winning for us now. We won't be scoring a lot of points like when Schaub was behind center but the defense is locking teams down too. On to the playoffs.......We are tied for the best record in the AFC and we still have fans that are thinking doomsday...tsk tsk

DexmanC 11-27-2011 04:59 PM

Kubiak has already clinched 8-8.

He's safe.

gary 11-27-2011 05:02 PM

I still do not see the Texans losing out.

ubecool454 11-27-2011 05:04 PM

Did we win today????? Reading some of these posts u would think it was Houston Oilers at Buffalo all over again.:vincepalm:

HTown2ATX 11-27-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 1837088)
We won today, and Tennessee won today. So that still keeps us, what, two games ahead of them?

I don't have TEN's remaining schedule up right now and I'm leaving after I post this to take my daughter home so no time to look this up, but I believe their remaining schedule is much harder than ours and their team surrounding their QB is much worse, so yes, with a 2 game lead IMO we have this nearly sealed up.

I'm not guaranteeing it, but I don't see this team just folding up like they used too and the schedule is just the right degree of easiness for the injuries we have right now (don't forget we still play INDY again so we know we may as well view ourselves as 9-3 right now b/c INDY clearly quit so that is an automatic win.....)

Marcus 11-27-2011 05:16 PM

Why wouldn't McNair use the injury situation as an excuse? Everyone else seems to be.

The more accurate question should be . . .

Should Kubiak keeps his job even if he does make the playoffs?

That's for all you "in spite of"s out there. :stirpot:

thunderkyss 11-27-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 1837088)

I believe he said we have a stranglehold "now"

If we were to win out (which is just as likely as Tennessee winning out) we win the division. Even if Tennessee comes to Reliant at 10-5 & we are 9-6 Jan 4, we win the division if we win that game.

It's all about us right now. We take care of business, we win the division... i.e. stranglehold.

burro 11-27-2011 05:47 PM

Kubiak isn't getting fired if we make the playoffs, which only requires a win against Indy - and I'm all right with that, all things considered.

houstonspartan 11-27-2011 05:58 PM

The douches on 610 just said that, even if we lose out and don't go to the playoffs that Kubiak deserves a pass.

Good lord. Will fans in this town EVER have any f-----g standards?

:vincepalm:

Dutchrudder 11-27-2011 06:05 PM

I think Kubiak should keep his job this year regardless of the outcome from now on. The injuries to the team are immense but they have persevered. I can't be mad at him for much this year.