Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Question? Babin and Peek (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86)

cap1 05-01-2004 05:54 PM

Question? Babin and Peek

Does anyone else think, like I do, that we might see Peek and Babin both line up at OLBs? I could see this happening. Just like the Robinson pick to move colemen to Safety, could the Texas be planning on moving Wong to ILB? Just a thaught.

edo783 05-01-2004 05:55 PM

I have been wondering that also.

HoustonTexansAreTheBest 05-01-2004 06:03 PM

I have no clue, but that's what I've been hearing. Babin and Peek on the Outside with Foreman and Sharper on the inside. Not bad.

ledzeppelin229 05-01-2004 06:08 PM

What they mean is Peek/Babin on the outside, with Wong at Foremans spot and Foreman on the bench. I could see it happening, would Peek have to do a lot of coverage from the LOLB position? I think he has the athleticism and he's probably been working on that in practice but would he be effective there considering he was supposed to be our ROLB pass rusher?

aj. 05-01-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

...Foreman on the bench. I could see it happening,
Doubtful since he counts $1.5 mil this year. That's a lot of dinero for a benchwarmer.

ledzeppelin229 05-01-2004 07:00 PM

Good point aj...If that scenario did happen though, what do you think the Texans could get if they tried to trade him?

Fiddy 05-01-2004 07:02 PM

I would LOVE to see Babin and Peek on the field full time. They could make a great duo for Capers and Co.

travfrancis 05-01-2004 09:53 PM

^ fiddy that is a awesome avator

i think we are going to see babin - foreman - sharper - wong
and then on 3rd down/obvious pass situations we will see babin at de and peek at olb, isnt that what cass said?

thebigtrip 05-01-2004 10:00 PM

I don't see what's so bad about Foreman, his numbers aren't bad.

Blake 05-01-2004 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
Doubtful since he counts $1.5 mil this year. That's a lot of dinero for a benchwarmer.

Tim Couch rode the bench. And im sure he was worth more than 1.5 million. Im not saying its not a possibility. But only if it is in the best interest of the team.

Fiddy 05-01-2004 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfrancis
^ fiddy that is a awesome avator

Thanks, hopefully Robinson can do some screaming like that this year, too.

rittenhouserobz 05-02-2004 01:19 AM

I would like to see it go
Peek-Wong-Sharper-Babin in the base set. I honestly don't think we lose much with Foreman in there either.

Scooter 05-02-2004 02:57 AM

IMO peek hasnt earned that spot yet. orr played better than peek did. as much as i'd like to see foreman on the bench, i dont think peek, orr, or babin can beat out foreman or wong ... yet. maybe later or next season they can push a veteran out of a job, but none has earned that yet.

CaptainPatriot 05-02-2004 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cap1
Does anyone else think, like I do, that we might see Peek and Babin both line up at OLBs? I could see this happening. Just like the Robinson pick to move colemen to Safety, could the Texas be planning on moving Wong to ILB? Just a thaught.

How about Shantee Orr ? He ran down Vick last yr!
Looks like he has some good upside

cap1 05-02-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
How about Shantee Orr ? He ran down Vick last yr!
Looks like he has some good upside

I wouldn't mind seeing Shantee Orr out there if he is better than Peek this year. At least now we have about 6 LBs that can play (Sharper, Wong, Foreman, Peek, Orr, Babins). Unlike 3 last year (Sharper, Foremen, & Wong. Peek and Orr were just too raw last year).

On a side note who are the back up ILBs?

Fiddy 05-02-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cap1
On a side note who are the back up ILBs?

Troy Evans, who is a great special teams player, and Travis Carroll.......OUCH!!!!

gsbtxn 05-02-2004 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigtrip
I don't see what's so bad about Foreman, his numbers aren't bad.

He does make a lot of tackles. Problem is, they seem to be too far downfield.

Wolf 05-02-2004 12:58 PM

A healthy DL will make our LB's look oh so much better whoever we stick out there :D

Number19 05-02-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.

Come on! You base your starting lineup on how much the players are making? No way! You play your best player, period. The question is: how well can can Peek or Babin cover and how important is coverage skills to Casserly's defensive game plan? Peek is purely a converted DE. Babin has played some at LB. If Babin's coverage skills are adequate, and his pass rush skills are superior to Wong's, my guess is that we'll see Peek on the weak side and Babin on the strong side, with Wong maybe moving inside. It is equally likely that Babin will get a year of seasoning by playing the weak side with Wong staying on the strong side. This decision will be one of the more important highlights of training camp.

Lucky 05-02-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number19
Peek is purely a converted DE. Babin has played some at LB.

My guess is that in his 1st pro year, Peek has more coverage experience than Babin has had in his career at Western Michigan. Counting training camp, exhibition games, 8 or 9 regular season games, and all of the practices - Peek should be well ahead of Babin in terms of both zone & man coverage. I know SteelBlue may not agree with me ;), but I thought Peek showed a lot of upside in regards to coverage last season. But I think Peek will have to show the Texans very early on that he's ready to win the LOLB spot before the Texans move Wong inside.