Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk Archive (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80726)

Lucky 03-22-2011 12:31 AM

McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
McNair keeps yapping and McClain keeps writing it down.

Quote:

When the lockout ends and the NFL resumes business as usual, McNair said the Texans will be active in free agency.


"We're prepared for the draft and free agency," he said. "If free agency happens tomorrow, we know who we have an interest in. We've zeroed in on what we think our needs are, and we know who the people are who can help. We're ready to move. We haven't slacked off one bit.


"If there's a veteran player out there who can really help our team, we'll go after them, but we're not going to pay more than we think they're worth. We're not going to do something we think is crazy.


"It's more important to us to keep that core group of players together, so a lot of that money is used to re-sign our players. We also want to pick up additional players as we can, but most of our dollars go to keeping our players as they come up."
Yeah, we wouldn't want to see anything crazy. Like keeping a coach and GM (and "core group") who've done squat for 5 years. Or playing the youngest set of CBs in NFL history. I could be much more confident about the Texans chances in 2011 if McNair would just shut his pie hole.

buddyboy 03-22-2011 01:29 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1669291)
McNair keeps yapping and McClain keeps writing it down.


Yeah, we wouldn't want to see anything crazy. Like keeping a coach and GM (and "core group") who've done squat for 5 years. Or playing the youngest set of CBs in NFL history. I could be much more confident about the Texans chances in 2011 if McNair would just shut his pie hole.

I'd be more concerned if McNair came out and said, "you know what, we really NEED to get just about anyone. We are desperate to get that big name FA."

Bye bye leverage. Anyway, it's lose lose for anyone in the Texans' FO right now, fans are going to twist words to fit their criticisms regardless of what they say.

Wolf6151 03-22-2011 03:34 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
I have to agree with Lucky on this one "We're not going to do something we think is crazy", yea because what you've been doing for the last 5 yrs. is working so well and that core group of players is doing so well they've earned 1 winning season going 9-7. It's scary that McNair really thinks they're on the right track and doing things the right way.

nero THE zero 03-22-2011 09:51 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 1669301)
I'd be more concerned if McNair came out and said, "you know what, we really NEED to get just about anyone. We are desperate to get that big name FA."

Bye bye leverage. Anyway, it's lose lose for anyone in the Texans' FO right now, fans are going to twist words to fit their criticisms regardless of what they say.

Leverage only matters when it is used. This has nothing to do with leverage and has everything to do with the team's philosophy. They're simply not going to go out and throw money at players. McNair says it himself; he'll spend money on his own players and "build through the draft."

Be prepared for the Texans to bring in a second rate CB to pair with Kareem Jackson. That is what McNair is telling you is going to happen.

nero THE zero 03-22-2011 09:52 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1669313)
I have to agree with Lucky on this one "We're not going to do something we think is crazy", yea because what you've been doing for the last 5 yrs. is working so well and that core group of players is doing so well they've earned 1 winning season going 9-7. It's scary that McNair really thinks they're on the right track and doing things the right way.

It's not that his philosophy is flawed. There are some great teams that do it this way. The problem the Texans have is that building through the draft only works when you're good at drafting. They're not.

disaacks3 03-22-2011 10:03 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

we're not going to pay more than we think they're worth
Goodbye Aso, it was nice to dream. If you're not willing to pay top 3 $ to a top 3 guy, another team surely will. Bob, maybe YOU think top-tier free agents aren't worth the investment, but then you've never been to the playoffs either.

El Tejano 03-22-2011 10:16 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by disaacks3 (Post 1669403)
Goodbye Aso, it was nice to dream. If you're not willing to pay top 3 $ to a top 3 guy, another team surely will. Bob, maybe YOU think top-tier free agents aren't worth the investment, but then you've never been to the playoffs either.

Yep. The exact translation word for word.

HoustonFrog 03-22-2011 10:19 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 1669291)
McNair keeps yapping and McClain keeps writing it down.


Yeah, we wouldn't want to see anything crazy. Like keeping a coach and GM (and "core group") who've done squat for 5 years. Or playing the youngest set of CBs in NFL history. I could be much more confident about the Texans chances in 2011 if McNair would just shut his pie hole.

Word!

I said the same awhile back. This guy just sounds like he wants to keep tooting the mediocre horn. "We are going to hold back money to keep the core group of guys who have done nothing. More years for everyone...players and coached. Good guys yah! Cheers."

Second Honeymoon 03-22-2011 11:37 AM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
please go **** yourself, McNair. just continue doing what you do best, being an abysmal failure and a bad owner.

it has worked out so well to date. at least you have great fans like 'Joe Texan' who don't really care how much you suck, as long as you keep rolling out crap they will keep buying it....but rest assured, most of your good fans aren't as naive as those type of fans.

At the end fo the day, your franchise is a joke and you are committed to one thing. $$$$$. so please spare us the dog and pony show. the day you decided to keep not just Rick or Gary, but both...told me all I needed to know about you. You are a pile of crap and I hope you go away and take this pathetic franchise with you. You will not be missed.

dalemurphy 03-22-2011 12:00 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
This is a ridiculous thread. I get it. You aren't happy with the losing. Still, though, why does that mean fans are justified in taking every quote out of context and using it as another jumping off point for a ***** session?

He said they aren't going to radically overpay for a free agent. This is a problem for someone? If it is, go enjoy the Washington Redskins organization. Some of you same board members were outraged that we "overpaid" for Antonio Smith. The Texans thought he was worth the money, outbid the rest of the NFL for him and he has been highly productive.

This year's free agency crop is the strongest group of players, particularly on defense, in five or more years. Prudently but actively spending money in free agency this season will be highly beneficial. And, that is what he is saying they are going to do. The Texans are consistently in the top third of the league in payroll. It is the winning that has been a problem, not the willingness to utilize financial resources. The past few free agent markets have been abysmal. For instance, the two best available CBs in FA last year were: Dunta Robinson and Leigh Bodden. Did you really want the Texans to spend the money it took to get those guys?

Perhaps you would prefer them to return to the overspending philosophy under Casserly?

Todd Wade
Zac Weigert
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Gary walker... all getting ridiculous contracts... yep, that worked out real well.

Hardcore Texan 03-22-2011 12:42 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 1669493)
This is a ridiculous thread. I get it. You aren't happy with the losing. Still, though, why does that mean fans are justified in taking every quote out of context and using it as another jumping off point for a ***** session?

He said they aren't going to radically overpay for a free agent. This is a problem for someone? If it is, go enjoy the Washington Redskins organization. Some of you same board members were outraged that we "overpaid" for Antonio Smith. The Texans thought he was worth the money, outbid the rest of the NFL for him and he has been highly productive.

This year's free agency crop is the strongest group of players, particularly on defense, in five or more years. Prudently but actively spending money in free agency this season will be highly beneficial. And, that is what he is saying they are going to do. The Texans are consistently in the top third of the league in payroll. It is the winning that has been a problem, not the willingness to utilize financial resources. The past few free agent markets have been abysmal. For instance, the two best available CBs in FA last year were: Dunta Robinson and Leigh Bodden. Did you really want the Texans to spend the money it took to get those guys?

Perhaps you would prefer them to return to the overspending philosophy under Casserly?

Todd Wade
Zac Weigert
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Gary walker... all getting ridiculous contracts... yep, that worked out real well.

Please don't bring logic and reason into this......just grab a pitchfork and join in!

Tailgate 03-22-2011 12:42 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 1669493)
This is a ridiculous thread. I get it. You aren't happy with the losing. Still, though, why does that mean fans are justified in taking every quote out of context and using it as another jumping off point for a ***** session?

He said they aren't going to radically overpay for a free agent. This is a problem for someone? If it is, go enjoy the Washington Redskins organization. Some of you same board members were outraged that we "overpaid" for Antonio Smith. The Texans thought he was worth the money, outbid the rest of the NFL for him and he has been highly productive.

This year's free agency crop is the strongest group of players, particularly on defense, in five or more years. Prudently but actively spending money in free agency this season will be highly beneficial. And, that is what he is saying they are going to do. The Texans are consistently in the top third of the league in payroll. It is the winning that has been a problem, not the willingness to utilize financial resources. The past few free agent markets have been abysmal. For instance, the two best available CBs in FA last year were: Dunta Robinson and Leigh Bodden. Did you really want the Texans to spend the money it took to get those guys?

Perhaps you would prefer them to return to the overspending philosophy under Casserly?

Todd Wade
Zac Weigert
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Gary walker... all getting ridiculous contracts... yep, that worked out real well.

Agreed. But what I think everyone is upset about is how he said we are not going to overpay anyone more than we think they are worth. Sometimes you have to overpay to land who you want and make that sacrifice in order to help the team in a desperate area. He also says we are not going to do anything that they think is crazy. It very well may take a crazy amount to land a top FA CB this year. So I can see both sides.

Hardcore Texan 03-22-2011 12:44 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Paying top dollar for Aso = not crazy.

Paying top dollar for Haynesworth = crazy.

jaayteetx 03-22-2011 12:52 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon (Post 1669475)
please go **** yourself, McNair. just continue doing what you do best, being an abysmal failure and a bad owner.

it has worked out so well to date. at least you have great fans like 'Joe Texan' who don't really care how much you suck, as long as you keep rolling out crap they will keep buying it....but rest assured, most of your good fans aren't as naive as those type of fans.

At the end fo the day, your franchise is a joke and you are committed to one thing. $$$$$. so please spare us the dog and pony show. the day you decided to keep not just Rick or Gary, but both...told me all I needed to know about you. You are a pile of crap and I hope you go away and take this pathetic franchise with you. You will not be missed.

Let me get this straight, you want the owner and his team to go away? And yet you still sport an an avatar supporting said team and post on a message board dedicated to them? Ok, makes sense I suppose.

houstonspartan 03-22-2011 01:07 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 1669493)
This is a ridiculous thread. I get it. You aren't happy with the losing. Still, though, why does that mean fans are justified in taking every quote out of context and using it as another jumping off point for a ***** session?

He said they aren't going to radically overpay for a free agent. This is a problem for someone? If it is, go enjoy the Washington Redskins organization. Some of you same board members were outraged that we "overpaid" for Antonio Smith. The Texans thought he was worth the money, outbid the rest of the NFL for him and he has been highly productive.

This year's free agency crop is the strongest group of players, particularly on defense, in five or more years. Prudently but actively spending money in free agency this season will be highly beneficial. And, that is what he is saying they are going to do. The Texans are consistently in the top third of the league in payroll. It is the winning that has been a problem, not the willingness to utilize financial resources. The past few free agent markets have been abysmal. For instance, the two best available CBs in FA last year were: Dunta Robinson and Leigh Bodden. Did you really want the Texans to spend the money it took to get those guys?

Perhaps you would prefer them to return to the overspending philosophy under Casserly?

Todd Wade
Zac Weigert
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Gary walker... all getting ridiculous contracts... yep, that worked out real well.

Dale, we already know that you are perfectly fine with 6-10 as long as we rack up stats. What you fail to understand is that McNair has not earned the benefit of the doubt from his fans, and so every single thing that comes out of his mouth is questioned - with good reason.

This teams track record gives fans a basis on which to form opinions. And that's why, when people read McNair's quotes, they jump to conclusions. He has not given us any other reason not to.

Double Barrel 03-22-2011 01:16 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Signing an elite player through free agency can be a very traumatic experience. :heat:

infantrycak 03-22-2011 01:23 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonspartan (Post 1669537)
Dale, we already know that you are perfectly fine with 6-10 as long as we rack up stats. What you fail to understand is that McNair has not earned the benefit of the doubt from his fans, and so every single thing that comes out of his mouth is questioned - with good reason.

This teams track record gives fans a basis on which to form opinions. And that's why, when people read McNair's quotes, they jump to conclusions. He has not given us any other reason not to.

Sure they have given us reason to doubt but not to lose all reason. Who are the most successful franchises around? - maybe Pittsburgh and New England, maybe throw in Indy. Do any of them go crazy in free agency? Do any of them overpay for players, even their own? No. I certainly want the Texans to be players in the free agent market when/if it happens but these remarks do not reflect a bad, aberrant or cheap philosophy.

HoustonFrog 03-22-2011 01:36 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalemurphy (Post 1669493)
This is a ridiculous thread. I get it. You aren't happy with the losing. Still, though, why does that mean fans are justified in taking every quote out of context and using it as another jumping off point for a ***** session?

He said they aren't going to radically overpay for a free agent. This is a problem for someone? If it is, go enjoy the Washington Redskins organization. Some of you same board members were outraged that we "overpaid" for Antonio Smith. The Texans thought he was worth the money, outbid the rest of the NFL for him and he has been highly productive.

This year's free agency crop is the strongest group of players, particularly on defense, in five or more years. Prudently but actively spending money in free agency this season will be highly beneficial. And, that is what he is saying they are going to do. The Texans are consistently in the top third of the league in payroll. It is the winning that has been a problem, not the willingness to utilize financial resources. The past few free agent markets have been abysmal. For instance, the two best available CBs in FA last year were: Dunta Robinson and Leigh Bodden. Did you really want the Texans to spend the money it took to get those guys?

Perhaps you would prefer them to return to the overspending philosophy under Casserly?

Todd Wade
Zac Weigert
Robaire Smith
Seth Payne
Gary walker... all getting ridiculous contracts... yep, that worked out real well.

Why is it ridiculous? It isn't a pitchfork mentality. It is a frustration with an owner who doesn't seem to get it. You can point out, as Cak did, that there are teams that play it smartly and win but they also have used this philiosophy successfully and won and they have coaches, GMs and people in place to make it work. A philosophy is only as good as the people creating and executing it. So far the creators and executors of the Texans version have been a massive fail. Coach, GM, owner....stay the course. That is a fail.

Where was the failure last year? Defense. Who is on the market? Top player at his position. There is a difference between throwing money at the 5 mediocre players you named and going after a top guy. Why do you think The 49ers and Cowboys went after Deion...it brought another championship. Balancing money to keep guys who aren't getting it done and to fill in with "nice" FAs isn't something that has worked here so far. It is that simple. So until their version works, there is ample reason for people to wonder why they don't go and get a stud. That is sound logic. Become a winner. Try something else since in 9 years your way hasn't worked.

Overall what he is saying sounds prudent and nice but in reality is same story, different day. Running a post up offense is a nice philosophy unless you are running it with guys under 5'10.

infantrycak 03-22-2011 01:51 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonFrog (Post 1669550)
Where was the failure last year? Defense. Who is on the market? Top player at his position. There is a difference between throwing money at the 5 mediocre players you named and going after a top guy. Why do you think The 49ers and Cowboys went after Deion...it brought another championship.

The thing is McNair didn't say they would only go after mediocre players and that is the way it is being spun. They may want to pursue Aso but have placed an upper value on him of $15 mil per year. If he wants $22 mil per year then yeah they shouldn't overpay like that. In a capped league there is a price to be paid for over paying. There has to be a cut-off somewhere.

HoustonFrog 03-22-2011 02:02 PM

Re: McNair: "We're not going to do something we think is crazy"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 1669552)
The thing is McNair didn't say they would only go after mediocre players and that is the way it is being spun. They may want to pursue Aso but have placed an upper value on him of $15 mil per year. If he wants $22 mil per year then yeah they shouldn't overpay like that. In a capped league there is a price to be paid for over paying. There has to be a cut-off somewhere.

I agree in some part. And honestly, I didn't take it as he would only go after mediocre guys....you could get a Cromartie, who would fit, but he is sketchy background wise so I doubt he is here. I was just pointing out to Dale that those 5 guys weren't guys I'd consider top FA or near the top and they overpaid. I think at some point you have to get an instant upgrade and go outside the comfort zone when there are top tier guys that instantly make your weakness and plus. Rare guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger