Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Coleman at FS (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792)

tex 06-11-2004 12:00 AM

FS Switch

I'm not against Coleman switching to FS, but when the Texans got Marlon McCree everyone said it was a steal, so why do the Texans need to switch to a new FS? idonno:

texan279 06-11-2004 12:05 AM

I don't think he was a steal...IMO we got a quality FS who is an upgrade from Matt Stevens, who can start if needed, and will be a quality backup FS...

Vinny 06-11-2004 12:11 AM

Depends on who you listen to. Just because someone types it, doesn't mean it is the gospel. McCree is a waiver wire pick up. You do not generally get quality NFL front line starters off the waivers. He is a good spot starter and a solid NFL reserve. That is good enough for me off waivers.

Scooter 06-11-2004 04:16 AM

simply because we can upgrade his position with an existing player. if we had the choice of mccree or going out and hiring someone at coleman's price i'm willing to bet we stick with mccree. since coleman's here and robinson needs playing time at the cornerback spot, we upgrade two positions and have starter quality depth.

J-Man 06-11-2004 07:40 AM

One thing you always have to remember about a guy you pick up off the wire...he got put on the wire for a reason. McCree is a C+ or B level player at best...not bad, but not quality either.

We are committed to Dunta and barring injury or suprisingly bad play he needs to be out there at corner. Once that move is made you have to take Coleman (with his 7 interceptions last year) and proven ability as a DB and utilize him. Coleman has plenty time as a safety so this is not as huge of a transition for him as people would believe.

Lucky 06-11-2004 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Man
Coleman has plenty time as a safety so this is not as huge of a transition for him as people would believe.

It's not a huge transition as far as learning the defense, Coleman is a vet and I'm sure he will be able to make the correct calls. The main question in the collective mind of the Coleman-to-FS doubters is, "Will he make the tackles?". Every Texan fan knows that having a FS who can't make an open field tackle is a killer for a team (a last dig at Mr. Stevens). Coleman has shown a tendency in his 2 seasons in Houston to whiff on an occasional tackle. Now he's the last line of defense. If he makes the tackles, Coleman can become one of the better FS in the game. But that remains to be seen.

J-Man 06-11-2004 08:18 AM

I admit that the ability to come up in run support or make the stop in the middle of the field is going to be key for Coleman, and that is an ability that he definetly needs to work on.

No one ever accused Coleman of hitting like a ton of bricks, but I suspect that he will be up to the challenge of playing centerfield. Honestly, his contributions will stem more from his ball-hawking and coverage ability and I don't think that anyone (fans, players, coaches) have any illusions about that.

infantrycak 06-11-2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

No one ever accused Coleman of hitting like a ton of bricks
Actually one of the guys that originally scouted him coming out of college said he was a very hard hitter and that he suspected his change in hitting style was due to the difference between playing safety and CB. Who knows--I'll believe the heavy hitter part when I see it. Luckily we are in a more pass happy division than some so his coverage ability and ball-hawking will get more use.

Vinny 06-11-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky
It's not a huge transition as far as learning the defense, Coleman is a vet and I'm sure he will be able to make the correct calls. The main question in the collective mind of the Coleman-to-FS doubters is, "Will he make the tackles?". Every Texan fan knows that having a FS who can't make an open field tackle is a killer for a team (a last dig at Mr. Stevens). Coleman has shown a tendency in his 2 seasons in Houston to whiff on an occasional tackle. Now he's the last line of defense. If he makes the tackles, Coleman can become one of the better FS in the game. But that remains to be seen.

Lucky shares my feelings as well as Infantrycak. I like heavy hitting Safeties but the FS is more of the coverage Safety than the Strong Safety is. Strong Safeties are engaged in more run support and generally play closer to the line of scimage on balance in most alignments. Coleman has the perfect build, coverage skills and all-around ball hawking instincts that a player needs as a NFL FS, but my visions of Tiki Barber turning him into a turnstile on that 70+ yard run still freaks me to this day. Coleman is going to have to be a sure tackler or this will not be a long-term switch.

El Tejano 06-11-2004 11:50 AM

Mcree is a steal for what he is a back up reserve. We would've had to entrust rookies or journeymen at that position had we not got him. But the fact that he is the back up to Coleman creates some pretty nice depth for us and to me that makes him a steal.

Vinny 06-11-2004 11:51 AM

Right now I'd have to classify McCree as a 'journeyman' player to be honest.

DominatorDavis 06-11-2004 12:08 PM

I think that you guys are all making good points. I like what is shared here. I can say this: who ever fills in for Matt Stevens will be an upgrade. That guy couldn't tackle a coffee table. I am happy that he is no longer on the team. Whether it is McRee or Coleman or eventually Earl - you can bet your last dime that the Texans will address the safety issue in the future. If *we* are talking about it here on the boards then you know that management is as well. Right now, quarterback and saftey are the big question marks for this team. Carr has to play better and Coleman and McRee need to produce.

Did I mention that I am glad that Stevens is gone?

BuffSoldier 06-11-2004 01:19 PM

I like the switch, it upgrades 2 positions and we still have a backup CB if either of our starters get hurt, you can move COleman back to CB and start McCree at FS.

But I have a question. What do you guys think about haveing Coleman play as the 3rd CB in the nickel and having McCree come in and play FS?

Yellow no 5 06-11-2004 02:43 PM

What about Earl ? He was suppose to have been a first rounder till his inj. If and I know I said If he has comeback to 100% I think he will be in the # 2 spot at FS. Then what would you do with McCree ?

Fiddy 06-11-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow no 5
What about Earl ? He was suppose to have been a first rounder till his inj. If and I know I said If he has comeback to 100% I think he will be in the # 2 spot at FS. Then what would you do with McCree ?

Earl wont play this year. Capers will take him along slowly like they did to Hollings last year and it gives Earl a year to learn the terminology and system.

I wouldnt be surprised to see McCree on the field in nickle and dime formations a little. You could have Coleman, Robinson, and Glenn at CB and McCree and Brown at the S. Kenny Wright is a good nickel corner though so I dont know if Capers would want Coleman alternating. I dont see a big deal if Coleman does switch positions.

texans 06-11-2004 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow no 5

he is a ss and that is whear his future is

Yellow no 5 06-11-2004 03:23 PM

Thanks for the correction.

infantrycak 06-11-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texans
he is a ss and that is whear his future is

Texans is correct--Earl was brought in as a SS prospect. Casserly has said that he can play either position though. Jamaal Lord was brought in as an experiment to see if he could convert to FS.

Ediddy73 06-11-2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Man
One thing you always have to remember about a guy you pick up off the wire...he got put on the wire for a reason. McCree is a C+ or B level player at best...not bad, but not quality either..

McRee was a Coughlin aquisition, and Del Rio drafted Rashean Mathis. Mathis was slated as high as 17th overall and considered by some the best safety prospect in the draft. No shame in losing your starting job to a guy like that. Just like Coleman lost his spot to Dunta. If we had to cut Coleman to clear roster space after a littany of injuries and capology, would you grade him as low as McRee? McRee got on Del Rio's bad side, and once Mathis was up to speed, he was released. He wasn't bad, just expendable. It cleared the way for Jax to sign K. Johnson and Stokes because Jimmy Smith was injured. anyone remember JR Redmond? #17? Why do you think he played against us? they were that depleted at WR, and needed the extra money McRee was taking up as second string to fill that need. He wasn't the Matt Stevens of the Jags.

Blake 06-11-2004 05:09 PM

He does add quality depth. Hes not good enough to bump our starters down, but he gives us an excelent option, of one of the players went down.