Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Do the Titans now draft QB 1? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79158)

Doppelganger 01-05-2011 07:06 PM

Do the Titans now draft QB 1?

With Bud saying that Young is done in Tennessee, do the Titans now draft a QB in the first round round?

If so who would they take? Cam Newton? Maybe jump up and grab Ryan Mallett or Blaine Gabert?

beerlover 01-05-2011 07:14 PM

Re: Do the Titans now draft QB 1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 (Post 1629323)
With Bud saying that Young is done in Tennessee, do the Titans now draft a QB in the first round round?

If so who would they take? Cam Newton? Maybe jump up and grab Ryan Mallett or Blaine Gabert?

link?

I think they will trade for experienced QB, maybe Kolb, someone like that. Cam is not the same as VY but similar. Too high for Mallet or Gabert, though I would not mind as a Texan that would just push another higher rated prospect to us....

JB 01-05-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1629335)
link?

I think they will trade for experienced QB, maybe Kolb, someone like that. Cam is not the same as VY but similar. Too high for Mallet or Gabert, though I would not mind as a Texan that would just push another higher rated prospect to us....

I think they do both. They will get a guy in FA, and also draft one to sit behind for a bit. I don't think they will use their #1 on a QB, but maybe their 2nd or 3rd round pick.

alphajoker 01-05-2011 07:25 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...=breaking_news

Doppelganger 01-05-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1629335)
link?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5993142

beerlover 01-05-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 (Post 1629376)

wow, thats crazy I would have never guessed this happening & now people here want to trade Mario for a CB its sureal. I think its in both teams best interest to keep their 2006 #1 draft picks embedded otherwise they'll never see full return of investment (should only trade from a position of strength).

Blake 01-06-2011 10:22 AM

Obviously Luck will go #1. Thats what 99% of the world seems to think at this point. And after his bowl game that just reaffirms this thought.

I would put them in this order.

Jack Locker, QB, Washington
Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

JB 01-06-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1629942)
Obviously Luck will go #1. Thats what 99% of the world seems to think at this point. And after his bowl game that just reaffirms this thought.

I would put them in this order.

Jack Locker, QB, Washington
Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Gabbert is rising up a lot of boards very rapidly.

steelbtexan 01-06-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1629565)
wow, thats crazy I would have never guessed this happening & now people here want to trade Mario for a CB its sureal. I think its in both teams best interest to keep their 2006 #1 draft picks embedded otherwise they'll never see full return of investment (should only trade from a position of strength).

Depends on if MW's trade value is in the ASO/Peterson range.

If they can trade MW for one of those guys they will be maximizing MW's trade value.

I wouldn't trade MW unless I got full value

NitroGSXR 01-06-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doppelganger1 (Post 1629323)

I think Bud's going to fire Fisher anyway so will hold off on the guessing game.

beerlover 01-06-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB (Post 1629956)
Gabbert is rising up a lot of boards very rapidly.

We discussed Gabbert in our Big Board thread. He was thrown around in the 25-28 range & I was a proponent of him because if he did declare I felt he was worth a first round grade, others did not agree so we dropped him. Our stance was his best interest should be to stay in school one more year & compete for top QB slot next year. His tools are elite but they still are developmental in regards to playing on Sundays.

Blake 01-06-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1630010)
We discussed Gabbert in our Big Board thread. He was thrown around in the 25-28 range & I was a proponent of him because if he did declare I felt he was worth a first round grade, others did not agree so we dropped him. Our stance was his best interest should be to stay in school one more year & compete for top QB slot next year. His tools are elite but they still are developmental in regards to playing on Sundays.

Yeah I was shocked he declared. Why not stay another year and be a top pick? You may be right that he is first round material due to his position. And we all know players can shoot up the board with a good combine.

The1ApplePie 01-06-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1630021)
Yeah I was shocked he declared. Why not stay another year and be a top pick? You may be right that he is first round material due to his position. And we all know players can shoot up the board with a good combine.

Rookie Wage Scale

GP 01-06-2011 11:37 AM

I think Cam Newton is going to be the next big thing.

People are scared off, due to VY and Jemarcus Russell.

But I think Cam is going to be huge in the NFL.

I had this same sort of hunch about Chris Johnson. Some guys have talent that's better than the college talent opposing them on Saturdays. Other guys have transcendent talent that equates to the pro game.

I think Cam Newton is a transcendent-type talent. Maybe not immediately, but at some point he will do pretty well.

And now I am on record for having said it. LOL. So let's re-visit this in a year or two.

Blake 01-06-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP (Post 1630032)
I think Cam Newton is going to be the next big thing.

People are scared off, due to VY and Jemarcus Russell.

But I think Cam is going to be huge in the NFL.

I had this same sort of hunch about Chris Johnson. Some guys have talent that's better than the college talent opposing them on Saturdays. Other guys have transcendent talent that equates to the pro game.

I think Cam Newton is a transcendent-type talent. Maybe not immediately, but at some point he will do pretty well.

And now I am on record for having said it. LOL. So let's re-visit this in a year or two.

They say that every year. This is it! This guy is the guy who will change things around! And then they get suicidal, or on coke, or kill dogs and fall off the map.

But yes, you are on record. :)

Edit: And ill go on record as saying Newton will not be in the league after 5 years. It takes more than a large body to play QB in the NFL. And thats between the ears. If you followed the Ca$h Cam saga, you would agree that he is about as smart as a box of rocks.

beerlover 01-06-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1630070)
They say that every year. This is it! This guy is the guy who will change things around! And then they get suicidal, or on coke, or kill dogs and fall off the map.

But yes, you are on record. :)

Ditto! Be warned GP if he doesn't work out then a fire GP soap will be created

GlassHalfFull 01-06-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 1630026)
Rookie Wage Scale

Yep. After the lockout is over and the new contracts are signed, the top picks will be getting significantly less money.

kiwitexansfan 01-06-2011 12:56 PM

Gabbert would be a great Titans pick for the future of the Texans franchise.

Another QB wildly overvalued because he is a QB.

To be honest after Luck I don't think there is a first round talent QB out there.

Maybe they take a Newton type in the second, they seem to like the mobile QB type (McNair, Young).

YoungTexanFan 01-06-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Because he goes to Missouri. That is reason enough to get the hell out. Maybe he was tricked into going there initially, but after 3 years, I completely understand.

Blake 01-06-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 1630026)
Rookie Wage Scale

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull (Post 1630080)
Yep. After the lockout is over and the new contracts are signed, the top picks will be getting significantly less money.

Well Andrew Luck is going back to school after being given the #1 draft selection already. So its not always about money.