Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fantasy Football Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What do you think of my draft? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74843)

El Tejano 09-01-2010 02:39 PM

What do you think of my draft?
 
I was last pick every other round and first pick every other round. Schaub was picked with the second pick of the draft.

1st Tom Brady
2nd Steven Jackson RB
3rd Michael Crabtree WR
4th Arian Foster RB
5th Owen Daniels
6th New Orleans Def
7th Kevin Kolb QB Bench
8th Malcolm Floyd WR
9th Derrick Mason WR
10th Ricky Williams RB Bench
11th Rob Bironas K (maybe I'll jinx him)
12th Bo Scaife TE Bench (Vince goes to him alot)
13th Houston Texans Def Bench
14th Julian Edelman WR Bench
15th Robbie Gould Bench

By the time my first pick came up alot of good QBs and RBs were taken and I didn't think these two would be there for me in the 3rd. Steven Jackson did well for me last year and I think Steven Jackson will still be playing in the final two weeks of the season so the fact that he had a longevity to him incase I made the playoffs made this a pick for me.

In fact I did that alot with my players. Last year I had Kurt Warner who was magnificent for me but then he was held out of a few games and I had nothing so I learned my lesson. Great for regular season but will kill you in the playoffs.

Dutchrudder 09-01-2010 02:45 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
How many teams are in the league? Is this PPR? What pick were you in the draft?

Farough 09-01-2010 02:46 PM

Seems like a wierd draft.. Defense in the 6th?
Can I see the scoring?

Texecutioner 09-01-2010 02:53 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Tejano (Post 1509030)
I was last pick every other round and first pick every other round. Schaub was picked with the second pick of the draft.

1st Tom Brady
2nd Steven Jackson RB
3rd Michael Crabtree WR
4th Arian Foster RB
5th Owen Daniels
6th New Orleans Def
7th Kevin Kolb QB Bench
8th Malcolm Floyd WR
9th Derrick Mason WR
10th Ricky Williams RB Bench
11th Rob Bironas K (maybe I'll jinx him)
12th Bo Scaife TE Bench (Vince goes to him alot)
13th Houston Texans Def Bench
14th Julian Edelman WR Bench
15th Robbie Gould Bench

By the time my first pick came up alot of good QBs and RBs were taken and I didn't think these two would be there for me in the 3rd. Steven Jackson did well for me last year and I think Steven Jackson will still be playing in the final two weeks of the season so the fact that he had a longevity to him incase I made the playoffs made this a pick for me.

In fact I did that alot with my players. Last year I had Kurt Warner who was magnificent for me but then he was held out of a few games and I had nothing so I learned my lesson. Great for regular season but will kill you in the playoffs.

Tell me the settings for your league, like how many teams are playing and what the scoring settings are. Without seeing that, it's hard for anyone to really grade your team accurately. Also, is there a link possibly to the rest of the teams in your league so I can compare yours to theirs?

Dutchrudder 09-01-2010 03:19 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Well, I'll just go off of normal settings and assume this is a 12 team league. Here are my thoughts on your picks.

1st Tom Brady - Sure good pick if it's a QB league
2nd Steven Jackson RB - Good pick
3rd Michael Crabtree WR - Reach in any type of league. He's a #2 or 3 WR in FF. Has potential, but certainly could be had in the 6th or later.
4th Arian Foster RB - Riding his perceived high value following the Dallas game, sure good pick. Lots of potential for him.
5th Owen Daniels - Somewhat of a reach, he's usually going in rounds 6-10. I avoided him in my money leagues due to uncertainty regarding his injury.
6th New Orleans Def - Reach even if 5 DSTs were drafted in the same round before you. DSTs usually don't make or break a team, but another quality RB or WR here could save your team later in the year.
7th Kevin Kolb QB Bench - Good value to pick him here, but Brady is solid and you'll only need Kolb 1 or 2 weeks out of the year. A WR/RB with potential could add a lot of value down the road
8th Malcolm Floyd WR - Good pick, he may end up being your #1 WR on this team
9th Derrick Mason WR - From here down, you're looking for decent backups, Mason's alright, but he didn't get drafted in a few leagues I'm in.
10th Ricky Williams RB Bench - If Ronnie goes down, he might be a great starter otherwise he's flukey
11th Rob Bironas K (maybe I'll jinx him) - I always get a kicker in the last round, it's my personal rule.
12th Bo Scaife TE Bench (Vince goes to him alot) - I can only assume there are better options on the wire than him.
13th Houston Texans Def Bench - 13th round, why not?
14th Julian Edelman WR Bench - I imagine he'll be like Joey Galloway from a couple years ago: limited production due to too much talent on the offense.
15th Robbie Gould Bench - I'll assume you are forced to get two kickers and that you're switching him out when the wire opens up.

El Tejano 09-01-2010 03:30 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 1509040)
Tell me the settings for your league, like how many teams are playing and what the scoring settings are. Without seeing that, it's hard for anyone to really grade your team accurately. Also, is there a link possibly to the rest of the teams in your league so I can compare yours to theirs?

There are 12 teams. Playoffs week 15&16 4 teams.

Offense
Passing Yards:1 point per 25 yardsPassing Touchdowns:4 pointsInterceptions Thrown:-2 pointsRushing Yards:1 point per 10 yardsRushing Touchdowns:6 pointsReceiving Yards:1 point per 10 yardsReceiving Touchdowns:6 pointsFumbles Lost:-2 points2-Point Conversions:2 pointsKicking
PAT Made:1 pointFG Made 0-19:3 pointsFG Made 20-29:3 pointsFG Made 30-39:3 pointsFG Made 40-49:3 pointsFG Made 50+:5 pointsDefense / Special Teams
Sacks:1 pointInterceptions:2 pointsFumbles Recovered:2 pointsSafeties:2 pointsTouchdowns:6 pointsKickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns:6 pointsPoints Allowed 0:10 pointsPoints Allowed 1-6:7 pointsPoints Allowed 7-13:4 pointsPoints Allowed 14-20:1 pointPoints Allowed 21-27:0 pointsPoints Allowed 28-34:-1 pointPoints Allowed 35+:-4 points

Mr teX 09-01-2010 03:37 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
That WR core looks a little weak but otherwise you look pretty good.

Speedy 09-01-2010 03:40 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Tejano (Post 1509030)
I was last pick every other round and first pick every other round. Schaub was picked with the second pick of the draft.

If you were last pick in the 1st round and took Brady, and with Schaub being taken 2nd, I'll assume Rodgers, Manning and Brees were off the board as well? That's 4 QB's in round 1 by the time it got to you. I'll have to assume somebody went with some WR in the first as well, maybe AJ, maybe Moss, maybe even Fitz. That makes me think there's some pretty nice talent at RB still sitting there. Jackson's a good pick, but if you had back-to-back picks, I probably would have went with another top RB that I'm sure was still sitting there.

Of course, as has been mentioned, hard to evaluate your roster without knowing the settings and scoring of your league.

El Tejano 09-01-2010 04:05 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 1509108)
If you were last pick in the 1st round and took Brady, and with Schaub being taken 2nd, I'll assume Rodgers, Manning and Brees were off the board as well? That's 4 QB's in round 1 by the time it got to you. I'll have to assume somebody went with some WR in the first as well, maybe AJ, maybe Moss, maybe even Fitz. That makes me think there's some pretty nice talent at RB still sitting there. Jackson's a good pick, but if you had back-to-back picks, I probably would have went with another top RB that I'm sure was still sitting there.

Of course, as has been mentioned, hard to evaluate your roster without knowing the settings and scoring of your league.

Yeah Chris Johnson went #1 and Schaub went #2, then Aj, then Adrian Peterson, Maurice Jones Drew, Ray Rice, then Manning and Rogers etc... Basically by the time I got up I had Tom Brady as the top QB available and Steven Jackson was like the 2nd best back available. I remembered how well he did for me last season so he was my top back at that point.

So I picked Tom #1 for fear he wouldn't be there in the 3rd if I went WR/RB. Then I took Steven Jackson with top pick in the second. Larry Fitzgerald was there but I figured I needed a RB with my second pick because they were going fast. I also thought I'd get a crack at Desean Jackson or Miles Austin in the 3rd but they went like 3 picks ahead of me. So I got Michael Crabtree who is going to be the main target in SF.

I was going to wait for Foster in the 5th but he started climbing up the best available. Took him with my fourth and I already had Owen ready for my 5th rounder.

My top two Ds Pittsburgh and Minnesota came off the board so I admit I reached, but when Reggie Bush came off the board I'd figure I'd cash in on him somehow and so I claimed New Orleans D/ST with the 6th.

The list of QBs got slim so I realized my mistake last year was not having an available QB when I only selected Kurt Warner. So I said I wanted a guy that I could hold onto for a few weeks to see if he would explode. The weapons he has in Desean Jackson, Selek and Maclin helped me put Kolb on the bench right now.

Receivers began getting slim. Malcolm Floyd is going to help me for about 6 wks as he will be the main target for Rivers, who WILL get him the ball, while Jackson is out. Derrick Mason is always there for Joe Flacco and he gets a ton of receptions.

Wanted a back up plan for Foster and got Ricky

Bironas everytime I see him he makes kicks so I figured I'd jinx the heck out of this guy and select him so he will suck it up this year and drop a game or two to the Texans. Seriously, he was the most consistent kicker.

Bo Scaife is Vince Young's girlfriend now.

Houston Texans D was selected out of a bit of homerism but also because I think they will be a suprise. They might be helpful in October too.

Didn't know Julian Edelman has injuries but I thought about the possibility Wes Welker gets hurt again and you can't deny what he's done for his career.

Robbie Gould is pure selection to make sure I got someone an extra space to drop and add a player without losing a good position. If I have to let go of Bironas, Gould could help out. If I let go of Gould, he will only help my team and most likely will be there in the future if I need his services again.

Farough 09-01-2010 09:33 PM

I don't understand why quarterbacks went so quickly in this league. I think you could have taken a risk and waited on someone like flacco or cutler later on in the draft and made up the points difference with a top tier wr/rb with your second pick.

It's hard with the last pick in a snake draft because it's a long way back to you

beerlover 09-01-2010 09:48 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
tough spot picking 10th. last year I drafted Chris Johnson #10 so you just never know. Probably went RB/RB then WR/WR/WR before QB.

gtexan02 09-01-2010 11:14 PM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Sounds like you had a lot of Texans fans in your draft. THe best way to beat Texans fans is to not draft Texans players. Let them make the reaches. OD in the 5th? He lasted very late in my league

How many players in your league?

El Tejano 09-02-2010 08:01 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farough (Post 1509357)
I don't understand why quarterbacks went so quickly in this league. I think you could have taken a risk and waited on someone like flacco or cutler later on in the draft and made up the points difference with a top tier wr/rb with your second pick.

It's hard with the last pick in a snake draft because it's a long way back to you

That was my dilemma. Picking last in round 1 and then 1st in round 2. It kind of put me in a he's not going to last mode. I was originally going to go RB WR, thinking Schaub or Rivers would be there in the 3rd. Fitz was there in round 2 but when I saw that I wasn't going to pick until last of the 3rd round, I had to take Brady because he wasn't going to last and I knew Rivers would be gone. I probably could've took Fitz over Jackson but I figured Fitz may struggle early with the new QBs and no Anquan Boldin on the other side.

El Tejano 09-02-2010 08:04 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 1509391)
Sounds like you had a lot of Texans fans in your draft. THe best way to beat Texans fans is to not draft Texans players. Let them make the reaches. OD in the 5th? He lasted very late in my league

How many players in your league?

Actually it was alot of Dallas fans. Of course they went Andre because of all the national attention he's got. The other guy said he just knew how much of a sleeper Schaub is going to be because he saw that Schaub quietly put up numbers.

I had Owen Daniels last year and he was helping me destroy teams before his injury. I took him based on experience and the fact that after Jermichael Finley, Gonzalez and Gates went off the boards everyone was talking about how many points Daniels could get you and how he alone was reason I was beating everyone last year. Once he went down, my season went down.

Dutchrudder 09-02-2010 09:57 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 1509391)
Sounds like you had a lot of Texans fans in your draft. THe best way to beat Texans fans is to not draft Texans players. Let them make the reaches. OD in the 5th? He lasted very late in my league

How many players in your league?

This.

I have a lot of Texans fans in my leagues, and in my big money league Andre Johnson was the #2 pick overall. Schaub was an early 2nd round pick, OD 6th round, Foster 6th, Walter 7th, JJ 11th. Just depends on how much people love their home teams. One league I'm in, a Saints fan drafted every single offensive player on the Saints, but sadly I'm not playing him week 5.

El Tejano 09-02-2010 10:43 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchrudder (Post 1509514)
This.

I have a lot of Texans fans in my leagues, and in my big money league Andre Johnson was the #2 pick overall. Schaub was an early 2nd round pick, OD 6th round, Foster 6th, Walter 7th, JJ 11th. Just depends on how much people love their home teams. One league I'm in, a Saints fan drafted every single offensive player on the Saints, but sadly I'm not playing him week 5.

Wasn't very many picked. Just Andre, Matt, and Jacoby. I picked Foster and Daniels.

Kevin Walter did great for me about two years ago and contributed little last year so I left him out there on the FA market. If I have to make the adjustment I doubt those Cowboy fans will even remember he's on the free agent list.
Oh yeah, I also had Wes Welker. He did okay but then fell off at the end. His injury killed me in the playoffs but of course I was okay with that.
Last year I had Percy Harvin, Kevin Walter and Lee Evans. I made all my points off Kurt Warner, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, and Owen Daniels.

El Tejano 09-05-2010 01:35 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
I just dropped Julian Edelman and picked up Patrick Crayton. Good move?

b0ng 09-05-2010 10:41 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
Just as an overview, I rarely even pick a defense, I'll just play the waiver wire and see who matches up with who. 2 defenses? I don't understand that, it could be another sleeper type player. Same with having 2 kickers. There are still waiver wire guys that you can swap out from week to week and instead go for sheer talent. Definitely not a reason to draft 2 kickers.

Hope this helps. Unless you're running a 2 DEF 2 K league lol.

Andre_Johnson 09-05-2010 11:07 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
I'm in a league where transactions, such as trades or waiver wires acquisitions, are charged so maybe this guy just wanted to save himself a few dollars.

I don't agree with this strategy however, I think it's better to draft for valuable talent then switch out your DST/Kickers when the bye weeks start.

Andre_Johnson 09-05-2010 11:12 AM

Re: What do you think of my draft?
 
In addition, I drafted Arian Foster in the 6th Round and OD in the 13th round in my league.

My league consists of ten people, of which I know for a fact that half of the members are Texans fans like myself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger