Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Orlando Pace a Texan? | Day 1 Unfolds (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7340)

bckey 03-14-2005 11:13 AM

Orlando Pace a Texan? | Day 1 Unfolds

Check this out from ESPN.com. Awesome if we can land him! He will probably cost too much though.

Orlando Pace

Doom Capers 03-14-2005 11:23 AM

Wow. I thought we were not going to sign any O-linemen. Lets hope we can grab him!

cadahnic 03-14-2005 11:24 AM

He is good but would cost us a whole lot of money when we are trying to stay young. On the other hand ask any NFL expert and they will put Orlando Pace as in the top 5 tackles in the league. I would not be hurt to see him protecting Carr's blindside, but for the price we will have to give him and what we will have to give up it is not likely to be worth it, if he is traded look for him to go to the Giants who are in desperate need of OL help even more so than we are

edo783 03-14-2005 11:29 AM

Cost, cost, cost.....it will determin if we can/should do this. Love it if it doesn't put behind the eightball. Think Sharper might be part of it some way?

nunusguy 03-14-2005 11:42 AM

Yea, right Cass, you're not going to do squat in FA this year. I mean odds
are against a deal being worked out, but he's not flying down here to tour
the Museum of Fine Arts over there by the Warrick. So we can just forget about what he's said about his intentions regarding the draft because its all a smoke screen with Cass.
As far as taking this guy, it would be far and away our most significant FA
acquisition. It would be huge.

Vinny 03-14-2005 11:45 AM

HUGE news

I'd send them Sharper, Wand and our first pick....but that may not be enough. Give Foreman a broom and perhaps he could clean up their locker rooms too. He has some sort of value. :heh:

F-minus67 03-14-2005 11:53 AM

Then again, it kind of hard to sign your rookies when you lost an arm and a leg. :heh:

cadahnic 03-14-2005 11:54 AM

That would be paying to much for Orlando. We WILL draft a Tackle in the draft so it would be paying way to much. I am still sold on CASS making a package that involves sharper our first and one of our thirds in order to move up in the draft if DJ is still available.

Vinny 03-14-2005 11:58 AM

Nobody knows what we WILL do, and franchise Tackles are very rare. They are not in every draft (like this year as an example).

nunusguy 03-14-2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny
I'd send them Sharper, Wand and our first pick....but that may not be enough. Give Foreman a broom and perhaps he could clean up their locker rooms too. He has some sort of value. :heh:

That's a lot to pay for a 30 year old premadona who usually doesn't start attending practice until the regular season begins, but yea, its probably the bullet we have to bite to pick up a top tier LT like this guy. I figured the old
man (McNair) would get his 2 cents worth in to take care of his boy DC.
Remember the last thing he said right after the final game with the Browns -
Carr will be our QB for a long time and we need to do something about protecting him.

done88 03-14-2005 12:00 PM

Show him the Money!!!!

What ever it takes bring him in.
Please!

SESupergenius 03-14-2005 12:06 PM

You are crazy if you don't think that Pace is not worth it. We've spent 3 seasons now trying to shore up the line since the Boselli failure. I just feel that this is going to cost our defense severely with any trades involving Sharper. I'm not keen on revamping the defense yet again this year.

Vinny 03-14-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nunusguy
That's a lot to pay for a 30 year old premadona who usually doesn't start attending practice until the regular season begins, but yea, its probably the bullet we have to bite to pick up a top tier LT like this guy. I figured the old
man (McNair) would get his 2 cents worth in to take care of his boy DC.
Remember the last thing he said right after the final game with the Browns -
Carr will be our QB for a long time and we need to do something about protecting him.

I think that the Rams would have to replace Pace or the deal may not happen. There are no franchise LT's in this draft and we have a nice prospect in Wand. Sharper is gone anyway so what we would be doing is giving up Wand for Pace as our first round pick. All pure speculation by me, but it would be worth it. The first thing I would do is find out what Bruce Matthews ate and start force feeding him as soon as he signed the contract. :heh:

hot pickle 03-14-2005 12:09 PM

its not worth it, i say give wand another year, then see if he has got better

cadahnic 03-14-2005 12:16 PM

We are not drafting a franchise tackle just a functional one look at Shane Olivea for the Chargers or Nat Dorsey for the Vikes if you want to check it out.

Blake 03-14-2005 12:18 PM

Fanball

Another article on it.

"News
Rams' offensive tackle Orlando Pace is visiting with the Texans on Monday in hopes of facilitating a trade, according to ESPN reporter John Clayton. Pace has been discussing a long-term contract with the Rams, but he would also accept a trade. The Rams have until March 16 to sign Pace or he will not be able to negotiate with the team until July 15. Rams' head coach Mike Martz has indicated in recent weeks that he is not keen on the idea of using the franchise tag on Pace for a third consecutive year.

Views
The Rams are seeking at least a first-round pick in exchange for their franchise lineman. We can only assume that Texans' quarterback David Carr is begging for this trade to happen after being sacked 49 times last year. On the flip side, Marc Bulger was sacked 50 times even with Pace in the lineup last season, so we can't even imagine how lousy his offensive line would be without the veteran left tackle."

U4ikrob 03-14-2005 12:20 PM

Thats an easy thing to say [wait another year] when your not the guy having to take the snap between the tackles.

Why not ask DC what he thinks about the idea to solidy the LT position with a premier LT like Pace? I bet he would be jumping up and down crazy kind of happy.

A little off topic - The QB position has alot of factors to consider, but one thing I think thats almost ultimately important overall is 'Confidence' and in this case i'm talking confidence in those guys around him to dothir job and protect him. IMO we give DC an LT he is confident enough to turn his back to and I'll bet you will see a breakout Pro-bowl type of season for him. OF course I must also admit - the rest of the line playin gwell will certainly facotr into that also. :)

Blake 03-14-2005 12:21 PM

I think it would be worth it. Everyone that doesnt want him only says that he cost to much. It sounds like you all want something for nothing. This is a top 3 left tackle here. A first round overall pick. He isnt going to be traded for nothing; and for good reason.

TheOgre 03-14-2005 12:22 PM

I would jump at the chance to land Pace. IMO left tackle might be the single most important position on a team. That is why 24 of the other 31 teams have 1st rounders playing the position. It is the foundation of the offense. If you have a subpar LT, your line will most definitely have problems. If your line has problems, the offense will struggle. You get the idea.

IshouldbeGM 03-14-2005 12:24 PM

dont do it

according to espn, for a deal to be worked out it would have to be two 1st round picks, or a 1st and more (players). I just think its too much for a tackle. Seth Wand wasnt the problem on o-line.....its was mckinney and the time it took for them to get the zone blocking scheme down. No way do i give up the 13th pick.