Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   McCree Re-signed Today (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69)

TexSon 04-30-2004 09:05 PM

McCree Re-signed Today

Texans | McCree Re-signed - from www.KFFL.com
HoustonTexans.com reports the Houston Texans have re-signed restricted free agent SS Marlon McCree

Well, I for one am glad we got him locked up... should be an interesting battle between him and Coleman for starting FS. If Coleman pulls off the switch, McCree will be an excellent backup. We are finally starting to see some quality depth!

keyfro 04-30-2004 09:15 PM

well notice that they labeled McCree a SS...not FS...coleman is our starting FS now...but what could be the best position battle this offseason might be Brown, McCree, and Earl...but yes it is nice to see quality depth on our team

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 04-30-2004 09:18 PM

didnt McCree play SS in Jacksonville?

DoCt3rJ 04-30-2004 09:20 PM

I thought D.Darius has been their SS for awhile?

TexSon 04-30-2004 09:23 PM

Yeah, I don't know what to make of the listing as a SS. Is the FS job Coleman's already, without any competition? If so, it seems kinda strange... are they convinced that Coleman will seamlessly adapt to the new position? Or is McCree gonna battle both Coleman and Brown (and Earl) for one or the other starting spots? Will be very entertaining to see how it all plays out.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 04-30-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoCt3rJ
I thought D.Darius has been their SS for awhile?

yea, you're right. my mistake.

BuffSoldier 04-30-2004 09:27 PM

I dont think he will be anything but a backup thanks to the aquisition of Robinson and moving Coleman to FS.

Fiddy 04-30-2004 09:37 PM

I want McCree to start and FS and Coleman at CB. Listen, we play in the AFC South where the base offense usually contains 3 WR. We need 3 good corners. McCree put up Pro Bowl type #s 2 years ago and is a very good FS. I would still like him to play, plus Coleman may not be back next year.

I wouldnt mind starting Coleman at FS in the base 34, but when we go to Nickel, Dime, etc. I want Coleman at CB and McCree at FS.

infantrycak 04-30-2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyfro
well notice that they labeled McCree a SS...not FS...coleman is our starting FS now...but what could be the best position battle this offseason might be Brown, McCree, and Earl...but yes it is nice to see quality depth on our team

I wouldn't put too much weight in the SS label. kffl is a good general news source, but that is exactly the kind of mistake/typo they would make rather than some kind of insider info.

edo783 04-30-2004 11:39 PM

McCree was a SS for the Jags and got on the wrong side of Fox's team plan. Had very good numbers the previouse season, but Fox wanted someone else. I suspect he might be our SS if Coleman is moved, otherwise he will be the FS. I don't see Brown being able to keep him out of the line up.

Guid2000 04-30-2004 11:53 PM

Isn't it nice to finally have more quality DBs than there are positions in the base package-depth is finally coming along. This is a good signing. Heck we will even have a solid dime when everyone is healthy.
Glen
Coleman
Robinson
McCree
Brown
Earl
We need this with the CO-MVPs in the division. Leftwich (sp?) will keep getting better too.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 05-01-2004 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edo783
McCree was a SS for the Jags and got on the wrong side of Fox's team plan. Had very good numbers the previouse season, but Fox wanted someone else. I suspect he might be our SS if Coleman is moved, otherwise he will be the FS. I don't see Brown being able to keep him out of the line up.

so i was right the first time :rolleyes:

vtech9 05-01-2004 12:49 AM

McCree was a FS for the Jags, but he was expected to take over at SS when Darius left through free agency. McCree stated that SS was his natural position and he was looking forward to going back. The only problem with that was that McCree was let go by the Jags before Darius left, and then the Texans signed him to play FS. With the drafting of Robinson, Coleman will battle for the FS position, and McCree will most likely be fighting for both of the safety positions. This is going to be interesting...I can't wait.

Andre_Johnson88 05-01-2004 01:11 AM

So is the most likely scenario that we will Coleman at FS and Mccree at SS for this season?That would be totally awesome if it happens because just imagine this secondary.......Dunta,Glenn,Coleman,and Mccree.Boy what a starting lineup!

clandestin 05-01-2004 04:34 AM

Once the talent develops I think we'll have a great deal of flexibility with our current lineup, particularly in the backfield.

AJ88's lineup looks great in passing situations: Robinson, Coleman, McCree, Glenn.

Run Situations could look like: Robinson, Brown, Earl, Glenn

aj. 05-01-2004 06:40 AM

Eric Brown is our SS and I doubt anyone replaces him as the starter. Brown is more adept than McCree in run support and short routes against backs and TEs. McCree is more of a centerfielder and is better than Brown in deeper coverage.

Game situations will dictate the secondary arrangement. In week 1, I would expect more focus on containment of LT at or near the line of scrimmage. The Chargers have little in terms of multiple deep threats so you play Brown at SS. Week 2 is a different story. When you go against Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Az-Hakim, and Tai Streets you want your more athletic guys in there and not necessarily the big hitter/run stuffer safety. That's where McCree will be helpful. Right now, Eric Brown's backups are the walking wounded (Ramon Walker and Earl) so depending on how they recover, any number of things could happen behind Brown.

McCree is more suited physically for FS so lets sit back and watch the battle between him and Coleman. However it all works out, we are adding quality depth in the secondary.

phantom17 05-01-2004 09:50 AM

Good signing! But competition looks good btw all the DBs. :)

Wolf 05-01-2004 10:03 AM

I would think Glenn would be our Hollings of this year. Take it slow and make sure he recovered so 2005 he will be 100% ready physically AND mentally

Fiddy 05-01-2004 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf
I would think Glenn would be our Hollings of this year. Take it slow and make sure he recovered so 2005 he will be 100% ready physically AND mentally

I would like that approach

keyfro 05-01-2004 01:07 PM

that would be the smart thing to do...i would like everyone who ended up on IR to take it easy during the training camps...i just want a healthy team going into the season...not like last year where we had 3 guys out for the first game...it would be the first time in franchise history if we started the season with everyone uninjuried