Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Sold! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68340)

mussop 12-30-2009 06:08 PM

Sold!
 
I have bounced around with several different players that I thought we should target in the first round but now I am absolutely sold on who that should be.

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho is an absolute stud! I had doubt a guy with his size (6'5" 330)would be able to excell in the ZB scheme we utilze. Not anymore. I am just blown away by this guy. Not only does he dominate on the feild but he shows a presence on the sideline that you just dont see from linemen. Mark my words, this guy is giong to be special. I only hope he last until our pick and we are smart enough to draft him.

rmartin65 12-30-2009 06:12 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1336264)
I have bounced around with several different players that I thought we should target in the first round but now I am absolutely sold on who that should be.

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho is an absolute stud! I had doubt a guy with his size (6'5" 330)would be able to excell in the ZB scheme we utilze. Not anymore. I am just blown away by this guy. Not only does he dominate on the feild but he shows a presence on the sideline that you just dont see from linemen. Mark my words, this guy is giong to be special. I only hope he last until our pick and we are smart enough to draft him.

I have been talking about this guy for a while now. He is a great talent, with a very high ceiling. I would love to see him on the Texans.

Wolf6151 12-30-2009 06:47 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Not Sold.

I agree that Iupati is very good but like Mussop I have doubt that he's quick enough to play in a ZBS scheme and I also question the level of competition that he faced at Idaho. Maybe my opinion will change after the combine. Anyone know if he's going to play in the Senior Bowl, that should be a very good test of his abilities since it'll be against elite talent?

ArlingtonTexan 12-30-2009 06:47 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1336264)
I have bounced around with several different players that I thought we should target in the first round but now I am absolutely sold on who that should be.

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho is an absolute stud! I had doubt a guy with his size (6'5" 330)would be able to excell in the ZB scheme we utilze. Not anymore. I am just blown away by this guy. Not only does he dominate on the feild but he shows a presence on the sideline that you just dont see from linemen. Mark my words, this guy is giong to be special. I only hope he last until our pick and we are smart enough to draft him.

He actually looks lean at that size and really should be able to play in any scheme.

mussop 12-30-2009 06:54 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 1336296)
He actually looks lean at that size and really should be able to play in any scheme.

He is as good in space as he is at mauling. When he pulls he shows the agility and atleticism of a much smaller lineman. He is the best overall OG prospect I have seen in years.

Wolf this guy is the real deal. I fear after the combine we wont have a shot at him.

Honoring Earl 34 12-30-2009 07:06 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

My after Christmas mock part deaux .

1. Mike Iupati ... OG ... the guy is 6'5 340 and moves like he weighs 290 . He plays in the ZBS at Idaho and pulls better than anything we have . He is also strong and could really help the running game which I see as the most pressing issue . He is the offensive version of Haloti Ngata .
2. Dan Williams ... DT ... 6'2 and 330 lbs . Played in the SEC trenches .
3. Ryan Mathews ... 5'11 and 220 lbs . Why ... cause Fresno State owes us .
__________________
On it !

mussop 12-30-2009 07:10 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 1336312)
On it !

If we pulled that draft out I would faint. All three would probably start and we might be talented enough to go far in the playoffs even with Kubiak as coach.

Wolf6151 12-30-2009 07:21 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1336299)
He is as good in space as he is at mauling. When he pulls he shows the agility and atleticism of a much smaller lineman. He is the best overall OG prospect I have seen in years.

Wolf this guy is the real deal. I fear after the combine we wont have a shot at him.

I'm not against drafting Iupati but not in the 1st round. Very few OG's have ever been drafted in the 1st round, I think he could be had in the 2nd round. I think that CB is a higher priority in the 1st round and if we can't get Haden then I'd try to trade down and pick Lindley or Robinson in the late 1st round and then go after an OG in the 2nd.

If we change head coaches and blocking schemes then Iupati would be a serious consideration in the 1st round after a trade down.

Honoring Earl 34 12-30-2009 07:26 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1336321)
I'm not against drafting Iupati but not in the 1st round. Very few OG's have ever been drafted in the 1st round, I think he could be had in the 2nd round. I think that CB is a higher priority in the 1st round and if we can't get Haden then I'd try to trade down and pick Lindley or Robinson in the late 1st round and then go after an OG in the 2nd.

If we change head coaches and blocking schemes then Iupati would be a serious consideration in the 1st round after a trade down.

Hutchinson and Fanneca were 1st .

Munchak and Mathews ... 1st .

John Hannah ... 1st .

Of course there was Larry Allen who was a 3rd .

Wolf6151 12-30-2009 07:40 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 1336324)
Hutchinson and Fanneca were 1st .

Munchak and Mathews ... 1st .

John Hannah ... 1st .

Of course there was Larry Allen who was a 3rd .

I didn't say it doesn't happen, I just said that it doesn't happen very often.

ArlingtonTexan 12-30-2009 08:50 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 1336312)
On it !

Good thoughts, but I am not sure that all three them make it our 2nd round pick

Honoring Earl 34 12-30-2009 08:56 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan (Post 1336368)
Good thoughts, but I am not sure that all three them make it our 2nd round pick

We traded Chris Brown for a 2nd . :doot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvf...eature=related

painekiller 12-30-2009 11:52 PM

Re: Sold!
 
Currrently we are holding the #18 selection. If we get lucky this weekend, and handle our own business the worse we will draft is than #22.

I have seen Mike Iupati listed as the #25th best player available in the draft. Taking him at #22 would not be such a huge reach.

Ole Miss Texan 12-31-2009 12:03 AM

Re: Sold!
 
Rey Maualuga... meet Mike Iupati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvf...eature=related

I gotta watch more of this guy. Iupati or Asamoah and I'm happy!

mussop 12-31-2009 12:22 AM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1336321)
I'm not against drafting Iupati but not in the 1st round. Very few OG's have ever been drafted in the 1st round, I think he could be had in the 2nd round. I think that CB is a higher priority in the 1st round and if we can't get Haden then I'd try to trade down and pick Lindley or Robinson in the late 1st round and then go after an OG in the 2nd.

If we change head coaches and blocking schemes then Iupati would be a serious consideration in the 1st round after a trade down.

very few OG's have been this good. I cant see this guy lasting until the second round. Haden is a pipe dream were we will be picking and there is a good chance the other CB's you named will be available in the second round.

The bolded part is the kind of thinking that got us into this trouble in the first place. I dont think you realize how athaletic this guy is. He is more than capable of playing in a ZB scheme.

mussop 12-31-2009 12:24 AM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1336469)
Rey Maualuga... meet Mike Iupati.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWdvf...eature=related

I gotta watch more of this guy. Iupati or Asamoah and I'm happy!

Asamoah isnt bad but Iupati is on another level.

I just hope he doesnt look so good at the combine that LT talk get started. He will never fall to us then.

LonerATO 12-31-2009 01:34 AM

Re: Sold!
 
He is a late 1st early 2nd round player and he did look good today, but the trouble I have with the game today is that it was Bowling Green. Maybe this kid could turn out like Clady and just be a big guy who can move. I also cant wait to see this years linemen at the combine.

Goatcheese 12-31-2009 04:25 AM

Re: Sold!
 
I would be very happy with Mike. I'd like to see him in drills against Suh. :thinking:

Mari-OWNED! 12-31-2009 06:12 AM

Re: Sold!
 
I think there is about a 0% chance we draft Mike Iupati, and here's why...

Alex Gibbs likes his Guards to be not much bigger than 300 pounds, and likes finesse over power in his zone-blocking scheme.

Let's take a look at our Guards on the Texans roster...

Chester Pitts 6'4" 308lbs.
Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300lbs.
Antoine Caldwell 6'3" 305lbs.
Kasey Studdard 6'3" 302lbs.
Tutan Reyes 6'3" 310lbs.
Chris White 6'2" 290lbs.

--------------------------------------

Mike Iupati is 6'6" 330lbs.

^ He just doesn't fit Alex Gibbs' track record of Guards he has used/prefers.

Jon Asamoah at 6'4" 315lbs. on the other hand, is a much more believable prospect for the Texans to draft.

badboy 12-31-2009 09:27 AM

Re: Sold!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! (Post 1336499)
I think there is about a 0% chance we draft Mike Iupati, and here's why...

Alex Gibbs likes his Guards to be not much bigger than 300 pounds, and likes finesse over power in his zone-blocking scheme.

Let's take a look at our Guards on the Texans roster...

Chester Pitts 6'4" 308lbs.
Mike Brisiel 6'5" 300lbs.
Antoine Caldwell 6'3" 305lbs.
Kasey Studdard 6'3" 302lbs.
Tutan Reyes 6'3" 310lbs.
Chris White 6'2" 290lbs.

--------------------------------------

Mike Iupati is 6'6" 330lbs.

^ He just doesn't fit Alex Gibbs' track record of Guards he has used/prefers.

Jon Asamoah at 6'4" 315lbs. on the other hand, is a much more believable prospect for the Texans to draft.

I agree but...

Will Gibbs be here? He is completing 2nd year after coming out of retirement. Matthews may be able to handle the duties. ZBS took a hit this season regardless of whose fault. It may be time to move to another O. Iupati is known for quick feet and weight should not be a concern that he might marshmallow. I have mocked Asamoah in 2nd round because he has size and skills for any offense.

Haden is now out of reach & I have to give up on him falling to us and THomas may be gone also especially if we draft lower than #15 I projected and that is assuming the FS comes out. I also doubt there will be a trade down opportunity as it is shaping up much like last draft. Not sure where I will be going in first round. Few CBs are looking like late first round, maybe Donovan Warren who declared recently or Patrick Robinson (I've seen an eval that he is stiff in hips and a fast WR can beat him). Going to be most interesting off season ever for me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger