Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66448)

mariowillshine15 11-01-2009 05:21 AM

Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...flpicks/091031

Jags (+3) over TITANS
"Hey Vince? It's Jeff Fisher. I have some good news. You're starting this Sunday. Look, I don't want you to think we're doing this because we're 0-6, or that we waited this long because we don't believe in you, or because our owner ordered me to do it. Please don't think that. The truth is, the reason I'm doing this is because I thought it would deflect attention from the fact that I've only had six winning seasons in 16 years -- but everyone still seems to think I'm a really good coach and none of this is my fault. You know why they believe in me? It's my facial hair. My facial hair makes it look like I know what I'm doing. Anyway, I don't want people to start questioning my credentials, I'd rather have them write about you. That's why you're getting the nod. Really, there's no other reason. You haven't even looked that good in practice. I'm doing this for me. Good luck."

jaayteetx 11-01-2009 10:35 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
6 winning seasons in 16 years? Really? Wow.

TexansSeminole 11-01-2009 10:41 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
I only take BS seriously when it comes to basketball.

eriadoc 11-01-2009 11:19 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Jeff Fisher is not a great coach. But a coach doesn't go from getting tons of credit for a 13-3 season to sucking in one year. Coaches don't forget how to coach in such a short period of time. But pretty much anytime a team underperforms, people start piling on the coach, when it's mostly the players.

awtysst 11-01-2009 12:57 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
To put it in another perspective look at other coaches and their W/L records. Form your own conclusions.

Jeff Fisher: 6 winning seasons in 16 years or a winning record 37.5% of the time.

Jon Gruden: 6 winning seasons in 11 years or a winning record 54.5% of the time.

Bill Belichick: 9 winning seasons in 15 years or a winning record 60.0% of the time.

Mike Shanahan: 9 winning seasons in 15 years or a winning record 60.0% of the time.

Bill Cowher: 11 winning seasons in 15 years or a winning record of 73.3% of the time.

Mike Holgrim:14 winning seasons in 17 years or a winning record 82.4% of the tiime.

Tony Dungy: 11 winning seasons in 13 seasons or a winning record 84.6% of the time

Ckw 11-01-2009 01:02 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by awtysst (Post 1289210)
To put it in another perspective look at other coaches and their W/L records. Form your own conclusions.

Jeff Fisher: 6 winning seasons in 16 years or a winning record 37.5% of the time.

Jon Gruden: 6 winning seasons in 11 years or a winning record 54.5% of the time.

Bill Belichick: 9 winning seasons in 15 years or a winning record 60.0% of the time.

Mike Shanahan: 9 winning seasons in 15 years or a winning record 60.0% of the time.

Bill Cowher: 11 winning seasons in 15 years or a winning record of 73.3% of the time.

Mike Holgrim:14 winning seasons in 17 years or a winning record 82.4% of the tiime.

Tony Dungy: 11 winning seasons in 13 seasons or a winning record 84.6% of the time

Wow! That certainly puts things in perspective. I still think Fisher is a good coach, but I don't know that he is a great coach. 6 winning seasons in 16 years is not very impressive.

Blazing Arrow 11-01-2009 02:00 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckw5814 (Post 1289216)
Wow! That certainly puts things in perspective. I still think Fisher is a good coach, but I don't know that he is a great coach. 6 winning seasons in 16 years is not very impressive.

And if you look at it on the flip side he has only had 4 losing seasons. Stats are great when you want to spin then in your own way.

Ckw 11-01-2009 02:04 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow (Post 1289450)
And if you look at it on the flip side he has only had 4 losing seasons. Stats are great when you want to spin then in your own way.

So he has had six .500 seasons? Wow! As a Texans fan I know exactly what .500 will get you: jack sh*t. It really is no better than a losing season. I stick to what I said before: Fisher is a good but not great coach.

Blazing Arrow 11-01-2009 02:19 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckw5814 (Post 1289466)
So he has had six .500 seasons? Wow! As a Texans fan I know exactly what .500 will get you: jack sh*t. It really is no better than a losing season. I stick to what I said before: Fisher is a good but not great coach.

He has gone through 2 city changes and a cap purge. Not saying he is great but we have had a lot of 1st round busts and he usually manages to put a solid team on the feild even with what seems to be no tallent. One year we had 7 guys in our secondary go down and we still managed to win.

Ckw 11-01-2009 02:23 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow (Post 1289526)
He has gone through 2 city changes and a cap purge. Not saying he is great but we have had a lot of 1st round busts and he usually manages to put a solid team on the feild even with what seems to be no tallent. One year we had 7 guys in our secondary go down and we still managed to win.

Then we agree. I too am neither saying he is a great nor a bad coach.

eriadoc 11-01-2009 03:56 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow (Post 1289526)
He has gone through 2 city changes and a cap purge. Not saying he is great but we have had a lot of 1st round busts and he usually manages to put a solid team on the feild even with what seems to be no tallent. One year we had 7 guys in our secondary go down and we still managed to win.

As to the first bolded point, he's been a part of picking those 1st round busts, no?

As for the second, if he did such a great coaching job then, do you think he's forgotten how to coach now, in such a short time span?

ziggy29 11-01-2009 03:58 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckw5814 (Post 1289466)
So he has had six .500 seasons? Wow! As a Texans fan I know exactly what .500 will get you: jack sh*t. It really is no better than a losing season. I stick to what I said before: Fisher is a good but not great coach.

True, but it shows how careful choice or wording can change things.

Saying a coach has "six winning seasons and four losing seasons" -- or saying he has more winning seasons than losing seasons -- sounds a lot better than "6 winning seasons in 16 years," even though it's the same thing. In any event, there's nothing elite about his resume here other than longevity with one franchise.

Hervoyel 11-04-2009 05:05 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow (Post 1289450)
And if you look at it on the flip side he has only had 4 losing seasons. Stats are great when you want to spin then in your own way.


Yes but aren't you the one who is always telling us how .500 doesn't mean shit in this world? .500 is nothing to get excited about remember?

So it doesn't work that way. It's 6 winning seasons in 16 years and 10 seasons of suck.

Hookem Horns 11-04-2009 05:25 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Fisher has done real well considering he has been working for a subpar franchise. Anyone who goes to teams like the Titans, Bengals, Browns, Jets, Cardinals, Lions, etc and can manage a bunch of .500 seasons and a few winning seasons has to be given a lot of credit.

Place Fisher with a respectable organization in the NFL he would excel I think.

Second Honeymoon 11-04-2009 11:49 PM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
I like Fisher. He get more out of less talent than just about anyone. Remember, Bud Adams runs this team so we know that being cheap, petty, and cursed is gonna be par for the course around there.

Don't stomp on the Terrible Towel. It wasn't like the franchise wasn't already cursed, then you go off and do something stupid like stomping on a towel on the sideline. Just a no-class move. Bulluck was involved in that too and he has fallen wayyyyy off this year. He is a liability now. Used to be a helluva football player, then he stomps on towel....where is he now?

Props to VY for playing well enough to win and doing what the coach asked you to do...which is hand the ball off and scramble/throw for 1st downs when necessary. I didn't like his body language and I have always been supportive of VY. His body language was reminiscent of another underachieving UT alum...Roy Williams. Just not a lot of pep in his step and he looked slow for lack of a better term. He still had some moves and he knows how to run with the football, but he looked really slow and lacked the speed and quickness, traits of which made him such a special player coming out of Texas.

He needs to get back in real football shape and dedicate himself to his craft. It will be interesting to see how he plays if he is asked to open the offense up WHEN not IF they fall behind big.

BattleRedToro 11-05-2009 12:09 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon (Post 1292950)
I like Fisher. He get more out of less talent than just about anyone. Remember, Bud Adams runs this team so we know that being cheap, petty, and cursed is gonna be par for the course around there.

Bud Adams is a lot of things but cheap is not one of them, as far as players are concerned. He'll spend money on players, he always has. He just expects others to pick up the tab when it comes to the stadium his players will play in.

Hookem Horns 11-05-2009 12:30 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleRedToro (Post 1292956)
Bud Adams is a lot of things but cheap is not one of them, as far as players are concerned. He'll spend money on players, he always has. He just expects others to pick up the tab when it comes to the stadium his players will play in.

Very true. Bud has shelled out dough for players (Warren Moon & Webster Slaughter come to mind). However Bud was always known for being cheap with everything else, from facilities to coaches. Bum Phillips has told a few comical stories about Bud's cheapness. That Ed Fowler book has some funny stories about Bud being cheap also.

Second Honeymoon 11-05-2009 12:41 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem Horns (Post 1292961)
Very true. Bud has shelled out dough for players (Warren Moon & Webster Slaughter come to mind). However Bud was always known for being cheap with everything else, from facilities to coaches. Bum Phillips has told a few comical stories about Bud's cheapness. That Ed Fowler book has some funny stories about Bud being cheap also.

Until last year the Titans had always been near the bottom and clearly under the salary cap. I remember in 2007 they were 31st in spending only beating out Buffalo at 32nd.

Screw Bud. Did you see him at the end of the Titans game. He looked like he hit the fountain of youth. He was pretty proud of himself.

Showtime100 11-05-2009 01:03 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
This was all I saw when I hit the link..

Quote:

BILLS (+3.5) over Texans
My underdog lock of the week: Bills 20, Texans 14. Testing out a new theory here: The Steve Walsh memorial "There's no way that QB has an arm to handle those conditions" game, not to be confused with the Sanchize patented "This guy was weaned on warm weather, he is reacting to the freezing cold about as well as the rugby team during the last 45 minutes of 'Alive'" game. I like Matt Schaub, but his arm can get a little noodly, no? I wish we could parlay a Buffalo TAINT (touchdown after interception) and a Buffalo special-teams TD in this one.
:hmmm:

infantrycak 11-05-2009 01:22 AM

Re: Bill Simmons says Jeff Fisher sucks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Showtime100 (Post 1292978)
This was all I saw when I hit the link..

:hmmm:

Nice call there Butt Simmons. Someone should call him and ask the trivia question of who holds the record for most passing yards by a visiting QB to Lambeau and then whether that was the coldest game of that NFL year.

You know there is a reason the stat folks don't keep records past 40+ yards - it doesn't happen much.

Schaub 1 for 1 this season.
Manning 0 for 1
Brady 1 for 7
Big Ben 2 of 6

Not seeing where noodle arm is getting out performed in this regard.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger