Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Kevin Johnson Rumor (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6492)

Vinny 02-14-2005 12:14 PM

Kevin Johnson Rumor

-- Kevin Johnson to Opt Out & Become Free Agent --
Sun Feb 13, 2005 --from www.FFMastermind.com

The Trenton Times reports the Baltimore Ravens will need a wide receiver to replace WR Kevin Johnson. He plans to opt out of his contract and give up a $1 million bonus he's due. Johnson wants a chance to test the market and play for a winning team with an experienced quarterback. "I've never had my choice," Johnson, who was drafted by Cleveland, claimed on waivers by Jacksonville and traded to Baltimore, said. "Let me go on the record and say I would love to play for the Eagles. I think I'd be perfect with Donovan, T.O. and (Brian) Westbrook. But I just want to play on a good team." That rules out the Giants, who supposedly have interest in him. Tampa Bay is a possibility, but don't be surprised if he goes to Houston and reunites with OC Chris Palmer, who drafted him out of Syracuse in 1999.

LikeABoss 02-14-2005 12:30 PM

I think the guy is kinda overrated IMO idonno:

F-minus67 02-14-2005 12:36 PM

he has not really done anything in his career. plus, he isn't the kind of speedster to replace bradford if he is not retained.

Vinny 02-14-2005 12:42 PM

I think it makes a bit of sense. He is a solid WR2 and already knows Palmers run and shoot style pass route progressions and keys (we run pretty sophisticated pass routes and it is hard for a WR to step right in to our system), and will not command top dollar money. Thomas and Starling likely need another year or so to mature.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 02-14-2005 01:00 PM

Gaffney and Armstrong are better than Kevin Johnson. If he wants to come cheap and accept a lesser role then so be it.

Vinny 02-14-2005 01:09 PM

Gaffney and Armstrong are slot guys.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 02-14-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny

So is Kevin Johnson.

Honoring Earl 34 02-14-2005 01:12 PM

:howdy: Ok what makes a slot guy different from a WR. I bet Kevin Johnsons not any faster than Gaffney .

Vinny 02-14-2005 01:12 PM

KJ is a legit WR2 in the NFL, but I won't argue the fact since you don't think he is. He was very productive as a WR1 in Cleveland.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133324

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 02-14-2005 01:15 PM

Have you seen Kevin Johnson play. He can not get any separation and is afraid of taking a hit. Ravens fans thought he would help their passing game but instead lost his job to a 6th round rookie.

wags 02-14-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't you like to see more speed in the slot? We could get a linebacker or safety matchup and just burn right by them.

TEXANS84 02-14-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

KJ is a legit WR2 in the NFL, but I won't argue the fact since you don't think he is. He was very productive as a WR1 in Cleveland.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133324

I agree. Over 1000 yards and 9 touchdowns isn't slot reciever #'s, except for Stokley.

Vinny 02-14-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Have you seen Kevin Johnson play.

This may come as a shock to you but I watch quite a bit of football.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 02-14-2005 01:17 PM

It is kind of shocking since you think KJ would be a legit #2 WR for us.

Vinny 02-14-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags
Wouldn't you like to see more speed in the slot? We could get a linebacker or safety matchup and just burn right by them.

Gaffney and Armstrong's strengths are exploiting linebacker zones, curls and come back patterns, and working in the middle of the field. More speed would be great but it isn't an absolute must in the slot.

Vinny 02-14-2005 01:19 PM

Quote:

It is kind of shocking since you think KJ would be a legit #2 WR for us.

I don't think I need to apologize for my football insight. Iím comfortable with it. Besides, all I did was bring this to the forum and say it makes a bit of sense. I'm just sharing what I found.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 02-14-2005 01:24 PM

For a team desperately seeking anything that resembles a decent WR, most Ravens fans sure are glad to see him gone.

TEXANS84 02-14-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

For a team desperately seeking anything that resembles a decent WR, most Ravens fans sure are glad to see him gone.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Just ask San Diego about Steve Foley.

wags 02-14-2005 01:27 PM

Quote:

More speed would be great but it isn't an absolute must in the slot.

I would really like to see us get someone in the slot who can burn. I remember Gaff getting chased down in the Chicago game and thinking "was he jogging?" I think we would see a lot more big plays if we got some speed in the slot. Lots of YAC, sorta like what Stokley does to us.

wags 02-14-2005 01:28 PM

Quote:

Insert QB in WR's place.