Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Walter Jones (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6231)

cptnbreakdance 01-30-2005 08:21 PM

Walter Jones
 
So is the Taxans front office acctually looking at signing him? I would love for him to come in and take over at LT. In my opinion money is no excuse for not protecting your franchise QB. The guy allowed 0 sacks all season. Your thaughts. :hmmm:

Texans Pride 01-30-2005 08:25 PM

I haven't heard about this at all. Do you have a link to this?

cptnbreakdance 01-30-2005 08:29 PM

ive heard it on message boards and mainly just gossip, thats why i posted about it, just wanted to see if there was any truth to some of what ive read.

texansfan88 01-30-2005 08:29 PM

They really really don't have the money...to be flat out honest...

Odds are they wont get a big time guy b/c of the big time money...they are the 8th worst cap room team as of right now.

Fiddy 01-30-2005 08:43 PM

Jones allowed as many sacks as Gary Walker had... :tiptoe:

red bull 01-30-2005 08:45 PM

He's been franchised the past several years, and I think people expect them to franchise him again. Same deal with Orlando Pace.

Errant Hothy 01-30-2005 08:56 PM

If they do that, either Hasselback or Alexendar are gone. You con only franchise so many palyers a year.

bckey 01-30-2005 08:56 PM

Why are we so close to the cap? Capers is on his 2nd time around with an expansion team. Casserly is too knowledgeable to get close to the cap after only 3 years.

PS- I know we aren't in cap trouble yet but we sure are close for only a 3 year expansion team.

texansfan88 01-30-2005 09:21 PM

If you calculate it out, they have the money to sign back Payne, Deloach, Norris and Sears back...but none of that will happen if you get Walter Jones. they are like 3.49 M under right now, then the FA's loosen that up a little and if you sign Jones, you'll have to fill a void left by Payne, Deloach, Norris and Sears with less talented players

THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID 01-30-2005 09:27 PM

Yeah thats now.......but don't they increase the cap every year? I think this year it goes up from $79 mil to $81 mil so that gives us a little more wiggle room........don't forget we also have rookies to sign.

texansfan88 01-30-2005 09:29 PM

I'm talking with a projected 85 million, the "experts" are saying it will equal out to the 9th worst cap

THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID 01-30-2005 09:35 PM

Oh dadgum. I'll shutup then.

D-ReK 01-30-2005 09:38 PM

It would be sweet to have Jones, but logically speaking, I doubt it happens...

If we signed him, we wouldn't be able to sign any of our FAs or any more outside FAs...

aj. 01-30-2005 10:27 PM

I think we've seen the last of the good old days in terms of cap space for the Texans. Carr's base salary jump in '05 alone (5 million) is more than the team cap number increase this year (the number was about 80.6 million last year).

This is Carr's option year. If the Texans choose to exercise the last three years of his contract as I expect they will, he will receive an 8 million bonus and base salaries of 5.25 million in '06 and '07 and 6 million in '08.

Then there's our own FAs that have to be signed as 88 said. Plus Milford Brown, Faggins, Troy Evans and J Wells are all RFAs that will probably be tendered. I would expect that they will make a run at Sears, DeLoach, Simmons, Payne, Norris, and possibly McCree.

I expect Kenny Wright and Bradford to be gone (no cap hit).

Eric Brown and/or Jay Foreman could be released (there would be dead money cap hits involved on both)

Steve McKinney counts nearly 4 million on the cap this year and he seriously needs to rework his deal with something more cap friendly if he wants to stick around (something that is incentive based - not a Wimpy hamburger deal)

Wiegert is about 3.5 million.

Glenn is over 5 million.

Sharper (over 6 million) and Wong (around 4.5) are in the final year of their contracts. The Texans may have to make a choice between the two after this season.

And then there's the huge Walker, Wade and Smith deals from last year. What were they thinking on Walker?

Plus there's the ~3.5 million or so that needs to be there for the rookie pool (for signing the draft choices).

Anyway, the point is that it all adds up.

I may be totally wrong but I'm thinking that we won't go after any Tier 1 UFAs, i.e., Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander this off-season.

texansfan88 01-30-2005 10:39 PM

sent you a pm aj

Dime 01-30-2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
I think we've seen the last of the good old days in terms of cap space for the Texans. Carr's base salary jump in '05 alone (5 million) is more than the team cap number increase this year (the number was about 80.6 million last year).

This is Carr's option year. If the Texans choose to exercise the last three years of his contract as I expect they will, he will receive an 8 million bonus and base salaries of 5.25 million in '06 and '07 and 6 million in '08.

Then there's our own FAs that have to be signed as 88 said. Plus Milford Brown, Faggins, Troy Evans and J Wells are all RFAs that will probably be tendered. I would expect that they will make a run at Sears, DeLoach, Simmons, Payne, Norris, and possibly McCree.

I expect Kenny Wright and Bradford to be gone (no cap hit).

Eric Brown and/or Jay Foreman could be released (there would be dead money cap hits involved on both)

Steve McKinney counts nearly 4 million on the cap this year and he seriously needs to rework his deal with something more cap friendly if he wants to stick around (something that is incentive based - not a Wimpy hamburger deal)

Wiegert is about 3.5 million.

Glenn is over 5 million.

Sharper (over 6 million) and Wong (around 4.5) are in the final year of their contracts. The Texans may have to make a choice between the two after this season.

And then there's the huge Walker, Wade and Smith deals from last year. What were they thinking on Walker?

Plus there's the ~3.5 million or so that needs to be there for the rookie pool (for signing the draft choices).

Anyway, the point is that it all adds up.

I may be totally wrong but I'm thinking that we won't go after any Tier 1 UFAs, i.e., Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander this off-season.


Ok.. I can see we are hurting, but let me know what you think of this.

i think people know we are close to a playoff team now. So players might wanna stay 2-3 years to have a good chance to visit the SuperBowl (it could happen).

I can see Since Wong and Sharper are working thier last year now, that they re-up and rework thier deals. It would probably be a 3.5 million this year for Sharper (extended 4 years) and Wong would probably get 3 million (extended 3 years). that move would free up a bit.

I also see Carr re-working the deal... Yes... Carr! Carr is quite tired of being on this back, and I have a feeling he will re-work a 6 year deal (doing a 3.5 million this coming year) so they can bring in some extra help on the OT side. Yep, I think he will be willing to pass on a touch of his pay to stay upright.

Steve... You better be soooooo gone. If you retire, you will leave with some class. In addition, your move will be praised so you dont get the (your fired). Unless you have a comeback from whatever, you will be gone soon.

Walker, Wade, and Smith... Sigh.. Are these 3 good players, Oh yes they are. BUT they are NOT getting better, something you expect from signing peeps to a HUGE contract. They arent worth the price/length we paid. Bad decisions from my Armchair QB chair. They were signed because i really believe peeps in the organization thought we were playoff bound and these peeps could get us there. Didnt work.

Brown and Foreman are probably gone.

Year 2006 and Year 2007 will be Horrible for the team. Caps will be bad... really bad.

Btw - If Carr doesnt re-work his Contract this year for extention and free up a bit of space, he better **** well make to the playoffs next year. If he dont make at LEAST 8 and 8 next, it wont be pretty. Not pretty at all. If he does re-work his contract, I think he (i know, sad to say) will have two or three more years before is job would be in jeapordy. Why you say? I think if he re-works, he is being a team player, and he can 'score points' by dropping a bit of salary to allow for more help on the O-Line and WR Core.

ArlingtonTexan 01-30-2005 11:47 PM

i don't see where AJ was saying that the Texans are in cap trouble, but that they don't have a huge budget to sign anyone who comes up. I would not push the panic botton. Barring something i am not seing they are not going Tennessee Titans anytime soon.

Some of the cap moves they may make in the next year would not be bad football moves also. May get more into specifics later as I am just tired tonight.

aj. 01-31-2005 06:20 AM

Quote:

Ok.. I can see we are hurting, but let me know what you think of this
I didn't say the Texans were hurting necessarily, but did infer that they don't have the wide open spaces of cap room like they used to, meaning they probably won't go after a guy like Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander this year. But I could be wrong.

Dime 01-31-2005 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.
I didn't say the Texans were hurting necessarily, but did infer that they don't have the wide open spaces of cap room like they used to, meaning they probably won't go after a guy like Walter Jones or Shaun Alexander this year. But I could be wrong.

Sorry... When I say we are hurting, i mean we do not enough cap to sign any big names that will be impact players right now from the FA or other teams. We have just enough to work with Rookie Pool, and a touch more, but the next few years unless people rework some deals, are going to look harder, much harder... only my take.

dan7 01-31-2005 10:53 AM

Walter Jones
 
Here's my educated guess as what happens with Walter Jones:

Now that Bob Whitsitt is no longer President of the Seahawks, Walter will sign a long-term deal and stay in Seattle; with Shaun Alexander most likely signing with another team, there is room under the cap to sign both Jones and QB Matt Hasselbeck (as well as most of the other front-line free agents currently with the Seahawks).

From where I stand (as a Seahawks season ticket holder) Whitsitt was the biggest obstacle to Walter getting a long-term deal in the past.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger