Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60819)

awtysst 04-22-2009 07:00 PM

Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Ok folks this is it. The NFL draft is this weekend and its time to put out my final mock. Over the years of doing mocks I have come to one conclusion: there are two mocks that can be done. You can either try to pick what the team will do or do what would be good for the team. I choose the later because I do not have Gosselin's contacts. If a team disagrees with me, I like to take solace that I will be proven correct a few years later. In my first final mock, I had Htown taking Julius Peppers. How did that one work out Asserly?

So, here it is, my final draft for the 2009 draft. This mock is a combination of what I would do/what the team should do. This final mock lists players I have been high on for awhile plus a couple of surprises.

I make a draft day trade of Dunta for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

1. Trade down
So, basically there is no player worth the 15th pick for us. We find a team that covets Freeman and extract their second rounder and swap first rounders. With our new first rounder I take: Robert Ayers-DE Tennessee. He is an excellent 4-3 DE and can start as part of our rotation right away. This is a great pick because on passing plays, Smith moves to DT, and Ayers can play DE. What do you think of a Dline of Mario, Smith, Amobi, and Ayers. Scary!

2a Max Unger: C.
He has the versatility to play OG or C and is the prototypical center for the ZBS. I like Mack better, but he is better suited for a power scheme (and will be gone anyway at this point). This pick cements Max as our starting C and moves Myers into a backup C/G role, which is really is best spot. Unger is a quality pick here and would start from the day he signs his contract.

2b Patrick Chung- S Oregon
A guy with a non stop motor that can play either safety position. He can tackle, he can make a big hit, and he has decent enough hands. Can we use him, Yes we can!

2c Alphonso Smith-CB Wake Forest
With Dunta gone, we could use another solid CB and we get him right here. Aside from him we have Molden, Bennett, and Reeves. I think Smith is a perfect for our scheme. One drawback is that he is a little short and has trouble with taller (6’4”) receivers. Well guess what, everyone does. Take Smith here!

3. Gerald McRath- OLB Southern Miss
Confused as to how McRath will play the Sam? Don’t be. He won’t. He is the top Will in the draft. But Awtysst, you are not going to bench Adibi are you? Of course not, gentle reader, I am moving him to Sam. Adibi came into the league at 235 lbs. He dropped weight due to a medical condition. I fully expect him to be in the 240-245+lb range when he reports. That is big enough for a Sam. As we saw last year he was able to hold down the position at 225, now at 245, I am sure he can do it full time. Adibi moving to Sam is great because he is a tackling machine. McRath has the speed and ability to cover the Will side. Oh, and we still have June too to play Will.

4 (Texans) Andre Brown-RB N.C. State
A BIG complimentary back to Steve. He can also catch balls out of the backfield and can block. He can grind out those last few yards and can be the difference between punting the ball and getting a fresh set of downs.

4(Minnesota) Vance Walker-DT Georgia Tech
Here is a guy that can collapse the pocket, play stoutly against the run, and can occupy some blockers. He has a great motor, is coachable, and has a nasty demeanor. So why is he here in the fifth round and not in the first with Raji? Simple, he does all these things well, but is not a superstar. Fine by me. I will take him in the fifth. Don’t be surprised if he is starting pretty soon.

5. Antone Smith-RB Florida State
Yep, 2 A Smith’s on the team! We take another RB, but look at his size. He is only 5’8 and weighs 191 lbs. He runs a blistering 4.33 40. I think he can put on about 15 lbs and still have 4.39 40. If he did that he would be 5’8”, 206lbs, and running a 4.39 40. Know who is 5’8” 208lbs, and runs a 4.39 40? You should. We see him twice a year. His name is Maurice Jones Drew. Wouldn’t you like to have a rb that slips between the tackles and picks up yardage too? I would. Oh, and Smith can also return punts too. Are you willing to spend a 5th rounder to try this guy out? I am.

6. Dan Gronkowski-TE Maryland
Mark Bruener is getting up there in age and we could use a solid blocking TE on the team. While he can catch too, Gronkowski’s forte is blocking. I say lets address this position here in the 6th round.

7. Derek Walker-DE Illinois
We start and end our mock with another DE. Here is a guy that played as a LE and had a knack for getting to the QB. He is not great against the run and would be a pure situational passer. I could live with that in the 7th!

And there it is. See yall on Saturday!

pbat488 04-22-2009 07:06 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
If those trades happen and we end up with those picks, I'd be very happy to say the least. All the 2nd rounders are good picks, Chung is the only one I can disagree with a little.. Unger and the Fonz would be great though. I've been thinking along the same lines of what you see in McRath in moving Adibi to SAM now that he's healthy and back up to his optimal weight and drafting a young, talented WILL LB to learn from Cato. Also like the pick Walker from GT, seems like he could develop into a solid player. Don't really know a whole lot on the last two but they round out the draft nicely. Nice work on this one.

Thorn 04-22-2009 07:24 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
While I'm not against trading Dunta on draft day, I would want all our draft picks up front, not future ones. Dunta leaving is going to leave a hole in our defense, one which will have to be addressed in the draft with more than just one pick. 'Cause if that one pick doesn't pan out or gets injured, we're screwed again at the CB position.

awtysst 04-22-2009 07:29 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbat488 (Post 1166719)
If those trades happen and we end up with those picks, I'd be very happy to say the least. All the 2nd rounders are good picks, Chung is the only one I can disagree with a little.. Unger and the Fonz would be great though. I've been thinking along the same lines of what you see in McRath in moving Adibi to SAM now that he's healthy and back up to his optimal weight and drafting a young, talented WILL LB to learn from Cato. Also like the pick Walker from GT, seems like he could develop into a solid player. Don't really know a whole lot on the last two but they round out the draft nicely. Nice work on this one.

Thanks. Sometimes we need to get creative and having versatile lbs allows us to to do. Suddenly that Cato June signing looks a lot better because it basically allows us to shift Adibi over and have Diles as his backup. We can then let June and McRath compete for the starting Will. It even allows young McRath to learn how to play at the optimal level from the experienced veteran. Never a bad thing in my mind.

awtysst 04-22-2009 07:34 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 1166724)
While I'm not against trading Dunta on draft day, I would want all our draft picks up front, not future ones. Dunta leaving is going to leave a hole in our defense, one which will have to be addressed in the draft with more than just one pick. 'Cause if that one pick doesn't pan out or gets injured, we're screwed again at the CB position.

Yeah, here is the thing though. This draft class is weak. Next year's is strong. I would love to get an extra second in next year's class. Good teams like Evil England make trades that allow them extra picks down the line. They pick smart and get extra picks in subsequent years. Thats what we need to begin to do too. We need to stop trading picks away and start accumulating them.

I have enough faith in Reeves, Moulden, Bennet, and Smith to hold it down. In fact, I am actually pretty high on Smith. He has great hands, good speed, can jump high to deal with tall WRs, and will come up and support the run. In my mind, he can be a starter for this team.

thunderkyss 04-22-2009 08:23 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
I'd be pleased with that draft..... but like Thorn, I would like to see more attention to the backfield. Not because there will be such a whole left by Dunta.... but we're flat out pathetic in the defensive backfield...... with or without Dunta.

V3rm0nt3r 04-22-2009 09:46 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
i've never been a huge fan of losing Dunta. i think he brings more to the table than just his game and is a big part as to why the D started to mold together last year. having said that i'd be happy getting those two picks if it comes down to the point where he's unwilling to sign with the team now or at the end of next year.

Specnatz 04-23-2009 02:29 AM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
I am probably the only Dan Grankowski fan on here. I think he is a tremendous blocker who can develop into a catching TE. So I like it from that Stand point.

awtysst 04-23-2009 08:26 AM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specnatz (Post 1166919)
I am probably the only Dan Grankowski fan on here. I think he is a tremendous blocker who can develop into a catching TE. So I like it from that Stand point.

One that that we have been fortunate to have is a Bruener type TE. A guy that goes out there and blocks. I see DG as that type of player. His hands need a lot of work, but thats fine since his primary role would be that of a blocker. If he could catch a few passes, that would be icing on the cake.

whiskeyrbl 04-23-2009 08:39 AM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specnatz (Post 1166919)
I am probably the only Dan Grankowski fan on here. I think he is a tremendous blocker who can develop into a catching TE. So I like it from that Stand point.

No I actually have us taking him in the 7th on my competition mock on this board. But I also have a question about this mock. How do we get 3 2nd. RD picks?

V3rm0nt3r 04-23-2009 08:39 AM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
one of the interesting things that i picked up from Rick Smith's interview was that he was saying how the value of a first rounder is that you get a starter that can step in from day one and start, not be situational. http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html i'm saying this because i think that Ayers is a situational passing downs guy and then when you throw that last DE in the 7th in there, saying that he's a LE pass rushing specialist, you kind of fill one need twice.

bah007 04-23-2009 10:03 AM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specnatz (Post 1166919)
I am probably the only Dan Grankowski fan on here. I think he is a tremendous blocker who can develop into a catching TE. So I like it from that Stand point.

I'm a big fan of Gronkowski. He can catch the ball but what I really love is his attitude about blocking. He's not afraid to get dirty.

But I'm an even bigger fan of his little brother. 10 TD catches as a sophomore at Arizona.

He will be a guy to watch in the next two years.

The Pencil Neck 04-23-2009 10:28 AM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by awtysst (Post 1166990)
One that that we have been fortunate to have is a Bruener type TE. A guy that goes out there and blocks. I see DG as that type of player. His hands need a lot of work, but thats fine since his primary role would be that of a blocker. If he could catch a few passes, that would be icing on the cake.

And yet last year, Bruener barely saw the field. He was only active in 2 games.

We seemed to get along fine without an in-line blocking TE last year. I don't see replacing Bruener as much of a need.

V3rm0nt3r 04-23-2009 03:00 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 1167113)
And yet last year, Bruener barely saw the field. He was only active in 2 games.

We seemed to get along fine without an in-line blocking TE last year. I don't see replacing Bruener as much of a need.

he was hurt wasn't he? i agree we do get along 'fine' without one but at this point in the draft we know that Kubiak likes having 3 TE's on the roster and seeing as we only have 2 (and a LS TE duo who'll probably just be a LS for the long run) and having another run blocker on the line sure couldn't hurt our goal line run offense that everybody is desperate to fixso i wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on one.

The Pencil Neck 04-23-2009 04:26 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r (Post 1167490)
he was hurt wasn't he? i agree we do get along 'fine' without one but at this point in the draft we know that Kubiak likes having 3 TE's on the roster and seeing as we only have 2 (and a LS TE duo who'll probably just be a LS for the long run) and having another run blocker on the line sure couldn't hurt our goal line run offense that everybody is desperate to fixso i wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on one.


:thinking:

You have a point. I'm on board.

Porky 04-24-2009 01:14 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
I don't think it's a reaslistic draft. First off, Bruener retired. Just an FYI.

Secondly, I don't think the Texans are (nor should be) interested in trading Dunta, and if they are I don't think there is a team in the land that would give up 2 number two picks. Why would anyone do that? Makes no sense at all.

I don't like Ayers in the first simply because he is a clone of the man we just signed and gave big money too. Why would you draft a part time player with your first pick. That makes no sense to me. I want a starter.

I'm good with the #2's but it's just not going to happen that we have 3 #2's. That's fantasy GM land.

I don't care for the #3. Why would you think that Adibi would make a good sam? He isn't a SAM at all imo and I'm not sure why we wouldn't just draft a sam instead of moving a perfectly good will out of position so you can draft someone else. Makes not a lick of sense to me.

I don't think Andre will be there in rd 4. I think it's doubtful he is there in rd 3 - now if he is that's a great pick, but 95% chance he is gone.

Not wild about a DT in rd 4 either. I think we have enough at tackle and can go elsewhere. Unless one presents overwhelming value I'm not into drafting a tackle this year. I think there are far more pressing needs and doesn't make much sense.

The rest are kind of blah don't care one way or another. Not wild about the draft except the 2nd round, and in that case it's totally unrealistic unless your a Madden jockey. I'll give you an A for effort and thinking it thru, but a D for the rest.

awtysst 04-24-2009 05:42 PM

Re: Awtysst's FINAL Stupid Draft Thoughts
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porky (Post 1168163)
I don't think it's a reaslistic draft. First off, Bruener retired. Just an FYI.

Secondly, I don't think the Texans are (nor should be) interested in trading Dunta, and if they are I don't think there is a team in the land that would give up 2 number two picks. Why would anyone do that? Makes no sense at all.

I don't like Ayers in the first simply because he is a clone of the man we just signed and gave big money too. Why would you draft a part time player with your first pick. That makes no sense to me. I want a starter.

I'm good with the #2's but it's just not going to happen that we have 3 #2's. That's fantasy GM land.

I don't care for the #3. Why would you think that Adibi would make a good sam? He isn't a SAM at all imo and I'm not sure why we wouldn't just draft a sam instead of moving a perfectly good will out of position so you can draft someone else. Makes not a lick of sense to me.

I don't think Andre will be there in rd 4. I think it's doubtful he is there in rd 3 - now if he is that's a great pick, but 95% chance he is gone.

Not wild about a DT in rd 4 either. I think we have enough at tackle and can go elsewhere. Unless one presents overwhelming value I'm not into drafting a tackle this year. I think there are far more pressing needs and doesn't make much sense.

The rest are kind of blah don't care one way or another. Not wild about the draft except the 2nd round, and in that case it's totally unrealistic unless your a Madden jockey. I'll give you an A for effort and thinking it thru, but a D for the rest.


Thanks for the comments P!
I disagree with you in numerous ways.
1) getting 2 seconds for DR is not a pipe dream. In fact a 2nd next year is usually thought of as a 3rd this year. DR is a pro bowl caliber CB. In fact just last year Deangelo Hall was traded for a 2nd and a future fifth. I think DR is better than him and worth a little more.

2) Ayers will probably not be there, but if he is it makes a lot of sense to get him. Like you said he is a similar to Smtih. By rotating them through it keeps both of them fresh. Plus, on obvious passing plays, we can move AS to DT and then have 4 pure passers going after the QB from the front 4. It makes too much sense to take Ayers.

3)I think Adibi would make a good SAM because I saw him play the positional well last year. I think it was the Jax game where he moved over to SAM and was a tackling machine. He had good lateral closing speed and did great. The problem was he was sick last year and playing undersized. Now after conditioning, eating right, and feeling healthy he can be a 240lb SAM. The other reason we do this is because there are no real SAMs in this draft outside of Curry. Any of the Mikes you convert would not be as good at SAM as Adibi. So I say slot Adibi into the SAM and draft a pure Will.

4) The DT is a huge pick IMO because he can stand tall and defend the run. A strong run DT can protect Demeco and can make him better. It also forces the 3rd and long positions. How many times have we seen our boys give up a 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. A good run DT would stop so many from occurring and give our offense a chance to burn clock and wear out the opposing D.

5) With Bruener retiring it makes sense to get a guy just like him. I know you may not be too enthralled with the 5,6,7 rounds, but remember, its here wear you really get those pieces to get over the top.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger