Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60554)

Ole Miss Texan 04-15-2009 11:24 AM

Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
This is a quasi-mock/wish list of players I think fit what the Texans want, players who I like and would like to see as a part of our team long term. You will see a trend throughout on what kind of guys these are. Additionally, I had to make a trade to get an extra guy early. I tried my best to project where these players may go in the draft- some guys fall every year and some go earlier than expected.

**Minnesota Vikings trade with the Houston Texans. Vikings give up 1st round pick (#22) and 2nd round pick (#54) to move up to the Texans' 1st round pick (#15); they also receive the Texans' 4th round pick (#112). Texans still have the Vikings' original 4th round pick from the Sage Rosenfels trade. Why do the Vikings want this trade? Simple... I don't know but I had to get my players! Some players has to slip for them to trade up and they're worried he'll get taken before #22. Oher, Maclin, another OT, Jerry...? someone though.

Onto the mock:

1st Rd (#22): Clay Matthews III, OLB, USC - Texans are able to trade down in front of NE and get their guy. 1 year starter but has tons of experience on one of the top collegiate defenses. A very hardworker, hich character player, is intelligent, has high measurables, very athletic and versatile. Will play OLB for the Texans and can rush the passer. 9 TFL and 4.5 sacks during 2008.

2nd Rd (#46): Eric Wood, C/G, Louisville - Another intelligent, high character player that is a very hard worker. Probably watched more game film than any other lineman in college. Would DVR every game during the week and watch them scouting the OL. Athletic player that can be a team leader- a must as a Center. Fall back position is Guard.

2nd Rd (#54): James Casey, TE, Rice - Extremely versatile athlete that has boosted his draft stock considerably. Man of many talents will give the Texans lots of options on any given play - TE, receiver, blocker, runningback, quarterback, longsnapper. 13 TD's and 1,329 yards receiving in 2008. Player the Texans have worked out.

3rd Rd (#77): Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty - Here's a guy that may go as high as the late 2nd, but luckily he ends up slipping to us. Seems to be exactly what Kubiak is looking for as someone to pair with Slaton. Durable, patient runner, good hands, excels in short yardage and goalline situations. 46 TD's in the last 3 years.

4th Rd (#122): Michael Mitchell, SS, Ohio - Props to Arlington Texan for finding this gem. Texans attended Ohio's pro day. This is the first big surprise by the Texans... a guy rarely anybody has heard of. He brings great size (6'1, 221 lbs) and athleticism to the secondary. Runs low 4.4's in the Forty, 22 reps on the bench, 37.5" vert and 10'3 broad jump- all would have been top 5 at Combine... but he got snubbed. Joins the likes of Owen Daniels, Fred Bennett and Xavier Adibi as excellent 4th round steals during the Kubiak Era. 8.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 5 INT's, 3 Forced Fumbles and 9 pass breakups during his last 2 years. http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com...ect-79516.html

5th Rd (#152): Brandon Williams, DE, Texas Tech - Brandon is selected as a situational pass rusher and as he develops more should flourish in this role. We'll have the "Williams Duo" on passing downs wreaking havoc in the backfield. 13.5 TFL and 13 Sacks during 2008 (including the Cotton Bowl loss to Ole Miss:)).

6th Rd (#188) Quan Cosby, WR, Texas - Cosby is an underrated receiver that has a lot of upside in an offense like the Texans. Will compete with Jacoby for the 5th WR spot and Return duties. 12 TD's and 1,300 yards during 2008 (including the last seconds TD score to win the Fiesta Bowl).

7th Rd (#223) Clinton McDonald, DT, Memphis - Should be a solid contributor on our DT rotation. Fits the mold of what Kollar wants in a DT, a guy that can get in the backfield, has a non-stop motor and never stops trying. Hardworker and selected as a permanent Team Captain by his teammates during his Junior year. 37 straight games played. 9 TFL, 4.5 Sacks and 2 FF during 2008.

steelbtexan 04-15-2009 11:29 AM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Change

Casey in the 2nd for Sidbury

Williams for S.L. Hill and this mock works perfectly for me.

Way to think outside the box.

beerlover 04-15-2009 11:29 AM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
would be close as possible to ideal, major props :)

I still want a pass rusher in 2nd however so consider Kruger, Sintim or English :shades:

Ole Miss Texan 04-15-2009 11:34 AM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1161037)
would be close as possible to ideal, major props :)

I still want a pass rusher in 2nd however so consider Kruger, Sintim or English :shades:

Eric Wood has turned into one of my favorite players... total man love :francis:

These pass rushers would need to replace Casey. He was sort of a luxury type pick but I could just see Kubiak really like him, as well as the fans. Offense kind of early in this projection. I think the guys you got here will get very strong consideration with the 2nd and I'd totally support that pick. With taking Matthews in the first though, I'm looking for a pure situational pass rusher which I'd rather get later.

Polo 04-15-2009 12:11 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
I'm thinking Casey can probably be a pass rusher too.

Wolf6151 04-15-2009 01:15 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
1. Matthews, NO. This has been discussed to death.
2. Wood, I like this pick.
2. Casey, Why would we pick a TE in the 2nd round when we already have a Pro Bowl TE, Owen Daniels.
3. Jennings, good player, good pick.
4. Mitchell, we could pick up this guy as an UDFA, why waste a 4th on him.
5. Williams, good pick we need a rotational DE.
6. Cosby, we don't need a WR we've already got quality and depth at WR.
7. McDonald, I don't know anything about this guy, but a rotational DT's not bad.

We've got a good Offense, we need those early picks for Defense.

bah007 04-15-2009 01:20 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
I think the Mitchell pick is a mistake OMT.

If his tape was good then he would have been at the combine.

I don't care what his measurables are. Some guys can jump through the roof and bench press a truck, but that doesn't mean they can play ball.

Ole Miss Texan 04-15-2009 02:52 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Mitchell is no mistake. He's a guy I know very little about but sounds really intruiging. Maybe it was selfish of me to put him in the 4th... we've just had discussions about how much success we've had in that round.

Quote:

Once considered an undrafted free agent by NFL scouts, Mitchell's draft stock is on the rise and now has a legitimate shot of hearing his name called on Day 2 of the draft. I had one scout tell me that Mitchell could be a guy like Indianapolis Colts safety Antoine Bethea, who was a little-known safety out of Howard University, but was selected in the sixth round by the Colts in 2006. Bethea was an impact player as a rookie for Indy. The Colts are among the teams showing interest in the safety.

Although Mitchell wasn't invited to the Combine, he is being looked at heavily by teams as we approach draft day. Mitchell has earned the label as the best kept secret safety prospect entering the draft
I wasn't sure where to put Brandon Williams or Quan Cosby. Williams just sounds like a 5th rounder to me. I think Cosby has potential to go in the 4th - 6th rounds. Mitchell sounds like a guy that some team is going to draft, maybe a 6th like Bethea but I don't want to miss him. 4ths our lucky round;)

How would y'all feel about 4th-Williams, 5th- Cosby, 6th- Mitchell?

Ole Miss Texan 04-15-2009 03:16 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1161117)
1. Matthews, NO. This has been discussed to death.
2. Wood, I like this pick.
2. Casey, Why would we pick a TE in the 2nd round when we already have a Pro Bowl TE, Owen Daniels.
3. Jennings, good player, good pick.
4. Mitchell, we could pick up this guy as an UDFA, why waste a 4th on him.
5. Williams, good pick we need a rotational DE.
6. Cosby, we don't need a WR we've already got quality and depth at WR.
7. McDonald, I don't know anything about this guy, but a rotational DT's not bad.

We've got a good Offense, we need those early picks for Defense.

1. I get it- you don't like Matthews. No problem but at least you may like the trade down:)
2. Casey- he's kind of the "hot" prospect right now, being the local guy and so versatile. He's a guy that's most likely going to go earlier than we should really be looking for him. He'd just add another deminsion to our offense that I think could make it even more successful.
4. See comments in post above about Mitchell. Doubt he goes undrafted. But I'll concur, 4th could be too early. How many people had Owen Daniels on their radar for us in the 4th?
6. Kubiak's going to get WRs to come in for competition. I guess we got guys on the PS and we'll bring some undrafted guys in. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on a WR/KR/PR type of guy this late in the draft... but to each their own.

Totally agree I went more offense than I really wanted to, but that's where some of the guys are that I like.
On defense we brought in Antonio Smith and Shaun Cody for the DL... in the draft "we add" Williams as a pass rusher and McDonald as a rotational DT. DL checked off.
For linebackers, we brought in Cato June who I see as contributing for our team, and buster davis- borderline backup/practice squad/cut guy. We add Matthews (who you don't like:() so we've got Demeco, Adibi, Matthews, June, Bentley, Diles, Thompson, Davis- that's a lot to fill up the roster.
Secondary- I didn't address CB which I wanted to. The 54th pick is the only early pick left as I wanted Matthews, Wood and Jennings. Don't know if A.Smith/Moore will be there. Got the Safety in the 4th, which could be a round or two early. Wilson, Ferguson, Barber, Harrison + Mitchell. Mitchell is a guy to groom in there. Reeves, Bennett, Molden plus Dunta. With no CB addressed let's hope we re-sign Dunta.

Thanks for the input. Casey seems like a "good guy" that fits on the team- that's what I'm going for with this draft. I don't know enough about DJ Moore and his personality/character. So I don't want to plug a need in if I don't know much about the player. With that said.. He's a slot Corner that could play Slot WR and take over Return duties on special teams. That would free up the WR/PR pick later on in the draft. But again, I don't know if Moore is a leader/good guy or if he's a problem guy (no reports). That's something interviews could help with. If he's a go then that addresses the secondary plus return duties (two possible needs, imo)

76Texan 04-15-2009 03:31 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1161222)
Mitchell is no mistake. He's a guy I know very little about but sounds really intruiging. Maybe it was selfish of me to put him in the 4th... we've just had discussions about how much success we've had in that round.


I wasn't sure where to put Brandon Williams or Quan Cosby. Williams just sounds like a 5th rounder to me. I think Cosby has potential to go in the 4th - 6th rounds. Mitchell sounds like a guy that some team is going to draft, maybe a 6th like Bethea but I don't want to miss him. 4ths our lucky round;)

How would y'all feel about 4th-Williams, 5th- Cosby, 6th- Mitchell?

Michael Mitchell Making The Rounds
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2009, 8:16 a.m. EDT
Safety Michael Mitchell, who played at Ohio University, is making two visits today to the two NFL teams who play in the state where he attended college.

According to Carlos Holmes of the Dayton Daily News, Mitchell will visit the Bengals and then the Browns.

On Wednesday, Mitchell will visit the Raiders. He has met with four other teams since his Pro Day workout on March 12, when he ran an eyebrow-raising 4.4-second 40-yard dash.

76Texan 04-15-2009 04:15 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76Texan (Post 1161262)
Michael Mitchell Making The Rounds
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2009, 8:16 a.m. EDT
Safety Michael Mitchell, who played at Ohio University, is making two visits today to the two NFL teams who play in the state where he attended college.

According to Carlos Holmes of the Dayton Daily News, Mitchell will visit the Bengals and then the Browns.

On Wednesday, Mitchell will visit the Raiders. He has met with four other teams since his Pro Day workout on March 12, when he ran an eyebrow-raising 4.4-second 40-yard dash.

This guy can flat out play.
Nice find, OleMiss and TArlington!

badboy 04-15-2009 04:25 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1161117)
1. Matthews, NO. This has been discussed to death.
2. Wood, I like this pick.
2. Casey, Why would we pick a TE in the 2nd round when we already have a Pro Bowl TE, Owen Daniels.
3. Jennings, good player, good pick.
4. Mitchell, we could pick up this guy as an UDFA, why waste a 4th on him.
5. Williams, good pick we need a rotational DE.
6. Cosby, we don't need a WR we've already got quality and depth at WR.
7. McDonald, I don't know anything about this guy, but a rotational DT's not bad.

We've got a good Offense, we need those early picks for Defense.

I agree with most of your thoughts. I'd be ok with Matthews late but would prefer either Ayers, Vontae Davis, Wells or Ron Brace. I'm ok with Wood only if we pick up a FS say at 4th (Sherrod Martin). Jennings is my guy.

Ole Miss Texan 04-15-2009 04:49 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1161322)
I agree with most of your thoughts. I'd be ok with Matthews late but would prefer either Ayers, Vontae Davis, Wells or Ron Brace. I'm ok with Wood only if we pick up a FS say at 4th (Sherrod Martin). Jennings is my guy.

As you can see most of these guys are off this particular wish list.
Vontae Davis has attitude problems and doesn't take to coaching well. I'll pass.
Robert Ayers is a guy I like a lot. Could get a similar tag like Matthews- wasn't a starter till his senior year. I was a big suppporter of trading down and taking him but then we signed Antonio Smith. He'd come in as a situational pass rusher but have the ability to develop into an every down DE, probably once Smith's contract is up. That could be good planning. However, in the past he's been charged for aggravated assault so he doesn't fit the boy scout bill.
Beanie Wells is a guy I'm starting to like a little more. I still see better value at RB a little later. No guarantee at all we get Jennings in the 3rd but that's what I'm hoping for. Wells has a history of injuries but hopefully none are recurring.
Ron Brace is a one dimensional NT- run stopper only and only a two down player. I don't want to target that in the 1st round. Stopping the run is important though and Brace is awesome at that. For true value from this perspective I'd rather look at it later in the draft than the 1st.
Sherrod Martin- he's a CB/S tweener guy that I would definitely be interested in during the middle rounds. May have some durability concerns. I have not heard/read any negatives about his character/work ethic so that's good.

Kaiser Toro 04-15-2009 05:56 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1161035)
This is a quasi-mock/wish list of players I think fit what the Texans want, players who I like and would like to see as a part of our team long term. You will see a trend throughout on what kind of guys these are. Additionally, I had to make a trade to get an extra guy early. I tried my best to project where these players may go in the draft- some guys fall every year and some go earlier than expected.

**Minnesota Vikings trade with the Houston Texans. Vikings give up 1st round pick (#22) and 2nd round pick (#54) to move up to the Texans' 1st round pick (#15); they also receive the Texans' 4th round pick (#112). Texans still have the Vikings' original 4th round pick from the Sage Rosenfels trade. Why do the Vikings want this trade? Simple... I don't know but I had to get my players! Some players has to slip for them to trade up and they're worried he'll get taken before #22. Oher, Maclin, another OT, Jerry...? someone though.

Onto the mock:

1st Rd (#22): Clay Matthews III, OLB, USC - Texans are able to trade down in front of NE and get their guy. 1 year starter but has tons of experience on one of the top collegiate defenses. A very hardworker, hich character player, is intelligent, has high measurables, very athletic and versatile. Will play OLB for the Texans and can rush the passer. 9 TFL and 4.5 sacks during 2008.

2nd Rd (#46): Eric Wood, C/G, Louisville - Another intelligent, high character player that is a very hard worker. Probably watched more game film than any other lineman in college. Would DVR every game during the week and watch them scouting the OL. Athletic player that can be a team leader- a must as a Center. Fall back position is Guard.

2nd Rd (#54): James Casey, TE, Rice - Extremely versatile athlete that has boosted his draft stock considerably. Man of many talents will give the Texans lots of options on any given play - TE, receiver, blocker, runningback, quarterback, longsnapper. 13 TD's and 1,329 yards receiving in 2008. Player the Texans have worked out.

3rd Rd (#77): Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty - Here's a guy that may go as high as the late 2nd, but luckily he ends up slipping to us. Seems to be exactly what Kubiak is looking for as someone to pair with Slaton. Durable, patient runner, good hands, excels in short yardage and goalline situations. 46 TD's in the last 3 years.

4th Rd (#122): Michael Mitchell, SS, Ohio - Props to Arlington Texan for finding this gem. Texans attended Ohio's pro day. This is the first big surprise by the Texans... a guy rarely anybody has heard of. He brings great size (6'1, 221 lbs) and athleticism to the secondary. Runs low 4.4's in the Forty, 22 reps on the bench, 37.5" vert and 10'3 broad jump- all would have been top 5 at Combine... but he got snubbed. Joins the likes of Owen Daniels, Fred Bennett and Xavier Adibi as excellent 4th round steals during the Kubiak Era. 8.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 5 INT's, 3 Forced Fumbles and 9 pass breakups during his last 2 years. http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com...ect-79516.html

5th Rd (#152): Brandon Williams, DE, Texas Tech - Brandon is selected as a situational pass rusher and as he develops more should flourish in this role. We'll have the "Williams Duo" on passing downs wreaking havoc in the backfield. 13.5 TFL and 13 Sacks during 2008 (including the Cotton Bowl loss to Ole Miss:)).

6th Rd (#188) Quan Cosby, WR, Texas - Cosby is an underrated receiver that has a lot of upside in an offense like the Texans. Will compete with Jacoby for the 5th WR spot and Return duties. 12 TD's and 1,300 yards during 2008 (including the last seconds TD score to win the Fiesta Bowl).

7th Rd (#223) Clinton McDonald, DT, Memphis - Should be a solid contributor on our DT rotation. Fits the mold of what Kollar wants in a DT, a guy that can get in the backfield, has a non-stop motor and never stops trying. Hardworker and selected as a permanent Team Captain by his teammates during his Junior year. 37 straight games played. 9 TFL, 4.5 Sacks and 2 FF during 2008.

We are marching to the same kazoo. My wish list looks very much like yours.

Texan4Ever 04-15-2009 06:25 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Nice picks, I would also like to have Sidbury and or Greg Isander and maybe even try grabbing Max Unger. Sidbury has the speed to get into the backfield and Isander is a BIG ZBS guard that can compete for the starting role.

painekiller 04-15-2009 07:37 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Nice mock.

I really like the trade down. And I hope Woods is still available at #46. At #54 I would look at Andy Levitre OG from Oregon St. If we add Woods and Levitre to our OL then we are done there. Not until we have to replace Pitts will we be looking OL. With Brown Pitts Woods Levitre Winston our problems in the middle of the OL are gone.

Add a big back like Jennings and we should be better in short yardage.

Wolf6151 04-15-2009 07:41 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Matthews just makes no sense to me. If we're going to try to convert a pass rushing DE into a 4-3 SLB base on athleticism then I'd rather have Connor Barwin. Barwin is bigger, faster, better vertical leap, and the exact same on bench press as Matthews. I'd also rather have Clint Sintim, he's more of a 3-4 pass rush OLB and he's a little stiff but he's big, quick, and strong. Sintim would be good at stopping the run but he'd be a liability on pass coverage but that could be eliminated or limited by getting better at SS to handle the pass coverage of the TE or RB.

mussop 04-15-2009 09:35 PM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1161480)
Matthews just makes no sense to me. If we're going to try to convert a pass rushing DE into a 4-3 SLB base on athleticism then I'd rather have Connor Barwin. Barwin is bigger, faster, better vertical leap, and the exact same on bench press as Matthews. I'd also rather have Clint Sintim, he's more of a 3-4 pass rush OLB and he's a little stiff but he's big, quick, and strong. Sintim would be good at stopping the run but he'd be a liability on pass coverage but that could be eliminated or limited by getting better at SS to handle the pass coverage of the TE or RB.

So now Mathews is nothing but a pass rushing DE huh? :gun:

Goatcheese 04-16-2009 03:53 AM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1161557)
So now Mathews is nothing but a pass rushing DE huh? :gun:

He spent his only year as a starter as a stand up DE/pseudo linebacker. He saw about the same amount of time in coverage last year as Anthony Weaver, and was less productive doing so.

TimeKiller 04-16-2009 09:12 AM

Re: Ole Miss Texan's Wish List/Projection
 
1. Matthews, I think it's pretty clear that he wouldn't be playing every down, every game. This is a guy we could mold into what we need coverage wise while he can go out and be a passrushing terror (something we so sorely need) from step 1 on any team.
2. Wood, I like this pick
2. Casey, OMG this is great.
3. Jennings, teh yes
4. Mitchell, Don't know much about him but I think I'd rather hit up a CB or DE here. Doesn't matter much though, this is a great draft.
5. Williams, good pick
6. Cosby, I think I might go after a different WR here...maybe somebody with a little more speed? Isn't that the big knock on him?
7. McDonald, good i guess. we've done worse with 7ths

great draft omt, we sing a very similar tune for the future of this team!!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger