Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60386)

pbat488 04-09-2009 02:33 PM

Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
I don't have insider, so I can't see the whole thing, but Kuharsky put up the AFC South picks in his AFC South blog on ESPN..

Houston Texans

No. 15: Linebacker Brian Cushing, USC
No. 46: Defensive tackle Evander Hood, Missouri
No. 77: Cornerback Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
No. 112: Defensive end David Veikune, Hawaii
No. 122: Receiver Mike Thomas, Arizona

Now it seems we're back to Cushing, after it's been Matthews for a good month or two. What do y'all think?

mussop 04-09-2009 02:39 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Not a bad draft. I could live with it. Hood would be a steal in the 2nd. The guy from Hawaii intruiges me.

TimeKiller 04-09-2009 02:59 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbat488 (Post 1157220)
I don't have insider, so I can't see the whole thing, but Kuharsky put up the AFC South picks in his AFC South blog on ESPN..

Houston Texans

No. 15: Linebacker Brian Cushing, USC
No. 46: Defensive tackle Evander Hood, Missouri
No. 77: Cornerback Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
No. 112: Defensive end David Veikune, Hawaii
No. 122: Receiver Mike Thomas, Arizona

Now it seems we're back to Cushing, after it's been Matthews for a good month or two. What do y'all think?

Yuck. I wish I could cherry pick this one. Cushing is not my guy but I wouldn't be upset with the pickup. DT 2nd round? WTF? That CB seems too much like Freddy B or Molden to waste that high of a pick on when we could grab a big RB or Oline depth or a better DE than Hawaii-guy. Priorities seem way out of order to me.

Texans34Life 04-09-2009 02:59 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Heard that guy from Hawaii on Sirius w/ Tim and Pat (Moving the Chains). Seemed like a good kid who wants to get after the QB.

Surprised Kiper didn't pick a RB for us in the 1st 4 rounds.

bah007 04-09-2009 03:27 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
IIRC, Veikune got run off the field at the Senior Bowl practices by the better OTs.

I don't have the resources that Kiper does, but I have him rated as a 6th rounder.

nunusguy 04-09-2009 03:28 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texans34Life (Post 1157260)
Surprised Kiper didn't pick a RB for us in the 1st 4 rounds.

He did overlook that didn't he, good point. Otherwise its not a bad mock with him picking D in the first 3 rounds. He seems to understan which side of the ball the Texans need the most help at.

V3rm0nt3r 04-09-2009 04:20 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
what im surprised he picked up on is the WR. most mocks either have us taking Maclin in the first :gun: or not at all. i remember there was a post a while back that the texans were interested in a couple of guys whose stock has now risen out of our price range (Robiskie maybe?) and i'm surprised that he remembered it. the lack of RB is very disturbing though.

RipTraxx 04-09-2009 04:25 PM

Kiper Mock Draft
 
15. Houston Texans (8-8)

Brian Cushing, OLB, USC: Cushing's ability to fit both inside and outside is the reason I've always viewed him as a surefire first-rounder.




I like the pick. Just wondering why Clay Matthews isnt even mentioned as a first rounder anymore...

Wolf6151 04-09-2009 05:18 PM

Re: Kiper Mock Draft
 
I'm not really crazy about the pick of Cushing but he's definitely better suited for the position of SLB than Matthews. I'd prefer a CB like Jenkins, Butler, or Alphonso Smith.

mussop 04-09-2009 05:32 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
After looking at Kipers overall draft I have to say I think he has lost it. There are a lot of picks I just cant see.

TimeKiller 04-09-2009 05:49 PM

Re: Kiper Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1157471)
I'm not really crazy about the pick of Cushing but he's definitely better suited for the position of SLB than Matthews. .

how so?

nunusguy 04-09-2009 05:50 PM

Re: Kiper Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1157471)
I'm not really crazy about the pick of Cushing but he's definitely better suited for the position of SLB than Matthews. I'd prefer a CB like Jenkins, Butler, or Alphonso Smith.

Agree with both of you points - Cushing appears to be the better prospect at SAM and taking a corner is now a prefered pick with it lookin more and more like D-Rob might be history in these parts before long.

threetoedpete 04-10-2009 10:50 AM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1157297)
IIRC, Veikune got run off the field at the Senior Bowl practices by the better OTs.

I don't have the resources that Kiper does, but I have him rated as a 6th rounder.

What do you want for a fifth rounder ? He works hard and he is an effort guy. And unlike Micheal Johnson.....he makes more plays than his numbers suggest he should make.....always, always take the over achiever low rather than an under achiever high.

Ziggy's strength is his spin move....He isn't very good versus the run. They got their chips on Okoye once again and Kollar.

thunderkyss 04-10-2009 11:06 AM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Personally, I'd rather take a CB in the first two rounds. A projected starter at the position. I think we have solid corners, in Reeves, Bennett, and Dunta, but we need a play maker at that position. A play maker in pass defense, not the run stopper we have in Dunta.

Then I'd like to see a LB with the other pick.

threetoedpete 04-10-2009 11:20 AM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1157851)
Personally, I'd rather take a CB in the first two rounds. A projected starter at the position. I think we have solid corners, in Reeves, Bennett, and Dunta, but we need a play maker at that position. A play maker in pass defense, not the run stopper we have in Dunta.

Then I'd like to see a LB with the other pick.

Well unfortunately....it's a down class for corners....anyone you take will be sitting until October. Whether it's the first round guy or the fourth round guy. Not one will beat out an incumbent out of camp. Not one.
And your problem is you do not believe in what they have.....and Rick and Kubes do. And you've got it backwards....take the play makers first....not the BPA you know will be riding the pine.

The1ApplePie 04-10-2009 11:27 AM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1157838)
What do you want for a fifth rounder ? He works hard and he is an effort guy. And unlike Micheal Johnson.....he makes more plays than his numbers suggest he should make.....always, always take the over achiever low rather than an under achiever high.

Ziggy's strength is his spin move....He isn't very good versus the run. They got their chips on Okoye once again and Kollar.

I think Fili Moala in the 3rd would be a steal at DT. A big beefy frame that draws plenty of comparrisons to Vince Wilfork, if not nearly up to that level

bah007 04-10-2009 12:32 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1157838)
What do you want for a fifth rounder ? He works hard and he is an effort guy. And unlike Micheal Johnson.....he makes more plays than his numbers suggest he should make.....always, always take the over achiever low rather than an under achiever high.

Ziggy's strength is his spin move....He isn't very good versus the run. They got their chips on Okoye once again and Kollar.

Pretty sure he had Veikune at #112, which is our first pick in the 4th. I like him as a guy. He works hard, motor is always running. But I want talent in the 4th. Did Rudy ever get drafted out of Notre Dame? If he is there in the 5th or 6th then I'm all for it. I could get behind that, but there are better players at #112.

Hood looks like the prototypical Cover 2 DT. A little weak against the run but he can collapse the pocket and get pressure on the QB. If my analysis is right, then that means Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Minnesota will all be targeting the guy. They all run Tampa 2 as a base coverage shell.

pbat488 04-10-2009 12:59 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 1157864)
I think Fili Moala in the 3rd would be a steal at DT. A big beefy frame that draws plenty of comparrisons to Vince Wilfork, if not nearly up to that level

I remember right after the 2008 Draft, there were numerous mock drafts for 2009, and Fili Moala was in the top 10 on nearly all of them. I haven't paid attention to him at all this year, so I don't know if it's injuries or what, but he dropped off a looooong way for some reason, and that kinda scares me.

bah007 04-10-2009 01:18 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbat488 (Post 1157919)
I remember right after the 2008 Draft, there were numerous mock drafts for 2009, and Fili Moala was in the top 10 on nearly all of them. I haven't paid attention to him at all this year, so I don't know if it's injuries or what, but he dropped off a looooong way for some reason, and that kinda scares me.

Mock drafts done a year in advance have even less credibility than mock drafts being done right now (if that's possible).

It's like putting out college football preseason rankings the day after the national championship game (Mark Schlabach).

The Pencil Neck 04-10-2009 01:21 PM

Re: Kiper's Newest 4 Rounder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1157935)
Mock drafts done a year in advance have even less credibility than mock drafts being done right now (if that's possible).

It's like putting out college football preseason rankings the day after the national championship game (Mark Schlabach).

OTOH, I remember seeing a mock immediately after the 2005 college football season that had DeMeco Ryans ranked at 10. Then, for some reason, he dropped.

In that case, I think they got his value more correct early than they did late. Not that I'm complaining with how that turned out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger