Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59629)

3dgaroo 03-13-2009 03:40 PM

3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
1. Detroit - Matthew Stafford - Next years QB talent poor will be a lot greater so Detroit may trade out. Conventional wisdom says its Stafford or J.Smith.

2. St. Louis - Aaron Curry - Steve Spagnolo is a defensive guy with needs on offense, especially O-line. I think the offense can endure for a bit while somebody to unite this talented defense is brought in.

3. Kansas City - B.J. Rajii - Of course this will be a defensive pick. Don't forget that the 3-4 defense starts with the NT.

4. Seattle - Jason Smith - Will not pass this point regardless of who's picking. J. Smith is riskier pick than Monroe, but has a lot more upside. If he doesn't become great, he will be a regular starter at least.

5. Cleveland - Malcolm Jenkins - Best overall DB in the draft. He will bring attitude and aggressiveness to a nameless defense. They could go with Orakpo, but they don't want another Kamerion Wimberly.

6. Cincinnati- Michael Crabtree - With T.J. gone and Ocho-Cinco not being the humble guy he once was, Crabtree will be a nice target to keep Carson Palmer a star QB that he is.

7. Oakland - Brian Orakpo - So what of he doesn't fit the scheme, his numbers at the combine are good, thats good enough for Al Davis. This is assuming Cleveland doesn't take him.

8. Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe - Jacksonville was such a disappointment last year, but they will add consistency with what should be a 10 year starter in Monroe.

9. Green Bay - Tyson Jackson - He will fit in the 3-4 scheme the pack want to run, maybe not as a NT but as an end.

10. San Francisco - Mark Sanchez - They hate the pick but are pressured into making it.

11. Buffalo - Brandon Pettigrew - Buffalo is a wild card come draft day but people don't realize that they really are very conservative in their approach. Nonetheless, they will pick a solid all around proven player. Pettigrew will do okay.

12. Denver - Rey Maualuga - This would be the best defensive player available pick. They really wish they could grab a d-lineman but Maualuga will help them out too.

13. Washington - Darrius Heyward-Bey - They need a wide out who is hungry and will make a misery out of Dallas, New York and Phillies' weak nickel backs.

14. New Orleans - Alphonso Smith - They need defensive back help after their FA in past years haven't panned out.

15. Houston - Michael Oher - Okay, let me explain. We go best player available. Oher can play both guard spots where he will dominate or he can move out to LT or RT if Duane Brown or Eric Winston don't work out. Watching his film, he is better than Monroe and Smith right now and has the strength to immediately contribute. Think goal-line situations where we where horrendous this past year. At this point with the best defensive tackles gone, no defensive ends worth mentioning, linebackers coming a dime a dozen every year, this selection helps keep Shaub healthy, makes Slaton a power back, and brings competition to almost everyone on the line.

16. San Diego - Everette Brown - They can't let up on their aggressive defense. Brown helps them keep trucking if Merriman should be out again and he provides scheming versatility.

17. New York Jets - Chris Wells - They need a young big back to compliment Washington. Sharing the load should keep Wells healthy.

18. Chicago - Jeremy Maclin - They need to keep adding pieces around Forte until they are in position to draft a franchise QB.

19. Tampa Bay - Perria Jerry - Fits the scheme well and the new coach is a defensive guy.

20. Detroit - Knowshon Moreno - Keep building around your franchise QB and what better way to do it than with immediate chemistry.

21. Philadelphia - Louis Delmas - They have to replace Dawkins.

22. Minnesota - Clay Matthews will keep this defense good.

23. New England - Larry English - Typical New England type of player who will take Vrable's spot

24. Atlanta - Percy Havin - Gives young Ryan a legit weapon

25. Miami - Ron Brace - Will develop to be a good NT. Parcells knows how to build a team.

26. Baltimore - Clint Sintim, good linebacker that will get coached by the best.

27. Indianapolis - Evander Hood - They need a defensive tackle

28. Philadelphia - D.J. Moore - They fix their secondary and give Sheldon some walking papers.

29. New York Giants - Alex Mack - They add best player available

30. Tennessee - Vontae Davis - They need to compete with our fast developing recievers.

31. Arizona - Andre Smith - Looking back at the Super Bowl tape, the interior line was horrible for Arizona. Smith is a reach here but there must have been something about him that had him ranked so high before

32. Pittsburgh - William Moore - His presence in this defense will help re-build the steal curtain.


Please give it as much criticism as possible for my first post :)

pbat488 03-13-2009 05:09 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
I think it's pretty solid, especially because it's not a cookie-cutter of what McShay or Kiper or whoever else gets paid way too much puts out for the most part.

I would love us getting one of the top tier OLs if they fall, even Andre Smith if he makes it to 15, Gibbs would get his flabby butt in shape real quick.

The one pick I don't like, and it kinda messes up the rest of what you did, is Curry to the Rams. I just think that with them cutting Pace and with their line so terrible, they are going to go OT just because it's an enormous need for them, where as Curry is probably the safer pick. But other than that it's a fresh outlook and pretty good.

TimeKiller 03-13-2009 05:27 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Nicely different but with such drastic changes is going to come some bad reviews.

The Curry pick and from 25 on are jokes. The Oakland pick is hilarious in a good way though. Very refreshing take though, I will give you that.

threetoedpete 03-15-2009 01:16 AM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11483165

Draft nick 101.
Quote:

15. Houston - Michael Oher - Okay, let me explain. We go best player available. Oher can play both guard spots where he will dominate or he can move out to LT or RT if Duane Brown or Eric Winston don't work out. Watching his film, he is better than Monroe and Smith right now and has the strength to immediately contribute. Think goal-line situations where we where horrendous this past year. At this point with the best defensive tackles gone, no defensive ends worth mentioning, linebackers coming a dime a dozen every year, this selection helps keep Shaub healthy, makes Slaton a power back, and brings competition to almost everyone on the line.

I like Oher....alot. What I've seen...he needs to start on the right or insde and be worked into the line up. And your statement I highlighted in red is flat out wrong. There is no way anyone is going to stick Oher on the left side opening day with out some grooming first.

He just doesn't have the feet yet. What you are buying is his up side...which is very, very high.

Here's some ammo to support your pick......

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71659



However.....we got egos involved here....Gibbs hand picked Brown. After a rough few starts...he settled down and played well. Including dominating on rushing downs. Also, the problem with the o-line isn't tallent. It's consistancy. They had several games where they could of pushed thier boots on someones neck and broke them. Where the breaks came was in their mental part of the game. Game after game they made mental mstakes and failed to cover for the porus defense. What it tells me is they are still young. Still five fingers looking to make a nasty fist and deliver a blow. I don't like it either....but we're just going to have to be patient and trust our Mushroom King. They willl not tear up the o-line this season.

Maddict5 03-16-2009 07:32 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
id rather everette brown tbh

YoungTexanFan 03-16-2009 07:43 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddict5 (Post 1142370)
id rather everette brown tbh

I'd pass.

I'd be ok with Oher. I think he is enough of a talent to start on our line right away. Of course I'd rather have Monroe, but I really can't fathom Duane Brown being an NFL LT, so I'm just fine with Oher working his way into the line. I would be ok with Brown staying at LT if we put a potential All-Pro LG next to him. I think Brown is always going to need the help.

Ole Miss Texan 03-16-2009 08:26 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1141329)
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11483165

Draft nick 101.



I like Oher....alot. What I've seen...he needs to start on the right or insde and be worked into the line up. And your statement I highlighted in red is flat out wrong. There is no way anyone is going to stick Oher on the left side opening day with out some grooming first.

He just doesn't have the feet yet. What you are buying is his up side...which is very, very high.

Here's some ammo to support your pick......

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71659



However.....we got egos involved here....Gibbs hand picked Brown. After a rough few starts...he settled down and played well. Including dominating on rushing downs. Also, the problem with the o-line isn't tallent. It's consistancy. They had several games where they could of pushed thier boots on someones neck and broke them. Where the breaks came was in their mental part of the game. Game after game they made mental mstakes and failed to cover for the porus defense. What it tells me is they are still young. Still five fingers looking to make a nasty fist and deliver a blow. I don't like it either....but we're just going to have to be patient and trust our Mushroom King. They willl not tear up the o-line this season.

I would love it if we take Oher at 15. There is just so much value in that pick and instantly improves 4 positions on the OL. I wouldn't care where we decide to put him but he'd be a day1 starter somewhere. I agree, he'd be most effective on the right side or inside at first. However, if Duane Brown could be our Day 1 starter at LT, there is no reason why Oher wouldn't be able to fill those same shoes.

Oher would be my favorite pick at 15, hands down.

Maddict5 03-16-2009 09:10 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan (Post 1142375)
I'd pass.

I'd be ok with Oher. I think he is enough of a talent to start on our line right away. Of course I'd rather have Monroe, but I really can't fathom Duane Brown being an NFL LT, so I'm just fine with Oher working his way into the line. I would be ok with Brown staying at LT if we put a potential All-Pro LG next to him. I think Brown is always going to need the help.

whats wrong with everette? loads of football speed, strength and way more moves than the other guys?

ps.. pitts is a pretty good LG no?

YoungTexanFan 03-16-2009 10:42 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddict5 (Post 1142437)
whats wrong with everette? loads of football speed, strength and way more moves than the other guys?

ps.. pitts is a pretty good LG no?

Pitts is a pretty good LG. I just think we need an elite level OG for Brown to not have a flexed back to his outside. I really don't like Brown, but that isn't for this thread and there is no need to re-hash my views on this topic.

I think Everette Brown is a flash in the pan. I think he is strictly a 3-4 OLB. He just really, really scares me. It's just my gut feeling, and even after watching more film on him, it hasn't changed in the least. The more I watch, the more I worry. I'd also be pretty leery about his "moves" as the move that made him famous was his inside spin move without attacking the outside shoulder but instead switching to the outside shoulder of the inside man and spinning inside of him, essentially stunting on his own. You can't do that against a NFL OG on any consistent basis. Freeny's go to move is an inside spin. The difference is that Freeny bull rushes the outside shoulder to a depth of about 3-4 yards or a kick-step and one, and then he spins inside the outside man, shooting that gap 6-gap. While it is impossible for every "Freeny" type DE to completely emulate him, it's also impossible to not compare moves. Brown is extremely quick from initial snap, but if he doesn't get vertical, he isn't going to get it. Again, this is just my view on him. I just really, really, really want to stay away from him. I think he could be an alright NFL player in the perfect storm, but it's not something I'd be willing to bet first round money on, and that is if I'm a 3-4 team.

beerlover 03-17-2009 03:07 AM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan (Post 1142501)
I think Everette Brown is a flash in the pan. I think he is strictly a 3-4 OLB. He just really, really scares me. It's just my gut feeling, and even after watching more film on him, it hasn't changed in the least. The more I watch, the more I worry. I'd also be pretty leery about his "moves" as the move that made him famous was his inside spin move without attacking the outside shoulder but instead switching to the outside shoulder of the inside man and spinning inside of him, essentially stunting on his own. You can't do that against a NFL OG on any consistent basis. Freeny's go to move is an inside spin. The difference is that Freeny bull rushes the outside shoulder to a depth of about 3-4 yards or a kick-step and one, and then he spins inside the outside man, shooting that gap 6-gap. While it is impossible for every "Freeny" type DE to completely emulate him, it's also impossible to not compare moves. Brown is extremely quick from initial snap, but if he doesn't get vertical, he isn't going to get it. Again, this is just my view on him. I just really, really, really want to stay away from him. I think he could be an alright NFL player in the perfect storm, but it's not something I'd be willing to bet first round money on, and that is if I'm a 3-4 team.

excatly how is Evertte Brown a flash in the pan when LZ has him rated as the #6 overall prospect in the draft & you took no issue with his ratings?

YoungTexanFan 03-17-2009 09:27 AM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1142617)
excatly how is Evertte Brown a flash in the pan when LZ has him rated as the #6 overall prospect in the draft & you took no issue with his ratings?

Haha. Maybe I missed that. I obviously don't agree with that, but I believe I said that is within the accepted norm. Meaning, that is close to what most big boards are.

beerlover 03-17-2009 12:16 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan (Post 1142657)
Haha. Maybe I missed that. I obviously don't agree with that, but I believe I said that is within the accepted norm. Meaning, that is close to what most big boards are.

its funny how opinion varies around here on value @ OLB/DE position. I can't imagine Orakpo or Brown as anything but situational pass rushers in a 4-3. if they develop into something more, can hold up against the run, cover & overall round out their games thats a bonus & testamont to hard work inspired by excellent coaching.

both values somewhere in the 10-18 range which puts them squarely in the Texans crosshairs. we need a pure edge rusher we should get one. then let Bush/Kollar work to develop their talents. the one who scares me is Michael Johnson. on one had your tempted because of his measureables, seeing him line up on Sundays opposite Mario would be like a pair of bookends, the 20 million dollar question is can this staff coach his game up? hence I view Evertte Brown or Brian Orakpo as much safer picks, relatively speaking :shades:

YoungTexanFan 03-17-2009 07:09 PM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1142789)
its funny how opinion varies around here on value @ OLB/DE position. I can't imagine Orakpo or Brown as anything but situational pass rushers in a 4-3. if they develop into something more, can hold up against the run, cover & overall round out their games thats a bonus & testamont to hard work inspired by excellent coaching.

both values somewhere in the 10-18 range which puts them squarely in the Texans crosshairs. we need a pure edge rusher we should get one. then let Bush/Kollar work to develop their talents. the one who scares me is Michael Johnson. on one had your tempted because of his measureables, seeing him line up on Sundays opposite Mario would be like a pair of bookends, the 20 million dollar question is can this staff coach his game up? hence I view Evertte Brown or Brian Orakpo as much safer picks, relatively speaking :shades:

With our scheme, I really don't view the OLB/DE guys as a first round consideration. Ayers has never been a sack guy, so I'm not buying his stock as a pass-rushing end. I'm up and down on Johnson. Right now, I might just buy his stock. (Taking from ESPN's segment) Johnson's stock has dropped into the low first/early second round. It's not like he didn't produce last year. Yes, there are more questions than you would like in a prospect, but he has produced and has elite measurables. I'd rather gamble with Johnson or Sidbury because of their physical attributes. If we need a situational pass-rusher, either of those guys can fill that role. The difference is that either of those guys could develop into a 3-down DE while the OLB/DE has much less of a chance to do so. I don't think Brown or Orakpo are "safe" picks at all. I think their size is going to limit them initially as they adapt, more so than a comparable rookie at least, and I don't think those type of guys will outgrow that role.

I feel very similarly about gimmick WR's like Maclin and Harvin. I'm usually pretty outspoken on prospects though, so I'm sure my views are different than the norm.

threetoedpete 03-18-2009 01:19 AM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Look YTF....they got to find an additional eleven to fifteen sacks from some where to make who they have a DB more effective. That's the bottom line. Now if they got folks targeted on the second day....fine. I've been looking for six months and I don't see them. You do , please do tell.

threetoedpete 03-18-2009 01:45 AM

Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta
 
Got side tracked there 3dgaroo's.

"If you're thinking like everyone else you're not thinking." Mike Lombardi

Nice mock...
intersting #3
start with curly culp for your base lineman in the three four ...not a bad thought.

Monroe will not get past, Jacksonville, Cincinatti and Oakland. Al Davis would pee his breaches if Monroe Fell to him at seven.....

11. Petegrew seen a lot of DE's here....bottom line is the Peter's negotiations are getting down right nasty. He gave up a lot of sacks last year.....that may be a slot for Oher. Bufallo doesn't take to well to ultimatums. The Petigrew beastie would make Edwards sleep a whole lot better over the summer shoring up their o-line. We all know what happens when you do not draft to support your young QB.

Philly should go RB then OL or TE. They need a left tackle. the uconn guy will make himself a lot of money if Andy Reed believes he can cover olt in his private work outs.

I'm with you old miss . If I haven't already deluded myself into thinking they have a real shot at catching the division....it would be a srewd pick to shore up the o-line. I like Erik Wood a lot. No where near the talent or celling as Oher....but he covers three of the three inside slots.

I think this staff has this year. And if it was my fish or cut bait year....I'd be blowing out and drafting to win the division. Grooming o-lineman wouldn't be on my list.....however....we got an unheralded Db from Old miss floating around out there some where.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger