Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   2009 Member Mock (Second) Rounds 1-3 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59392)

Blake 03-05-2009 10:10 AM

2009 Member Mock (Second) Rounds 1-3
 
Ok, we are less than 24 hours from this mock going live. This is the thread you will post your pick, make fun of someones pick, or post anything about our mock draft.

HOU-TEX 03-05-2009 10:26 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Anybody have an updated top 100? I just used the last one to make notes and mark them off as they were picked.

SM, I'll PM you a few players for the Brownies first pick. Kinda stinks starting on a Friday considering I usually don't hit the boards on the weekends.

Oh well, I'll get the PM to ya when I'm done doing a little research. :)

Blake 03-05-2009 10:32 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 1133973)
Anybody have an updated top 100? I just used the last one to make notes and mark them off as they were picked.

SM, I'll PM you a few players for the Brownies first pick. Kinda stinks starting on a Friday considering I usually don't hit the boards on the weekends.

Oh well, I'll get the PM to ya when I'm done doing a little research. :)

Really im ready to make my pick. So if 2-4 are ready as well, maybe we can kick this thing off and get your pick in before the weekend.

bah007 03-05-2009 10:39 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 1133973)
Anybody have an updated top 100? I just used the last one to make notes and mark them off as they were picked.

SM, I'll PM you a few players for the Brownies first pick. Kinda stinks starting on a Friday considering I usually don't hit the boards on the weekends.

Oh well, I'll get the PM to ya when I'm done doing a little research. :)

I can send you my personal top 100 if you're interested.

HOU-TEX 03-05-2009 10:39 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1133988)
Really im ready to make my pick. So if 2-4 are ready as well, maybe we can kick this thing off and get your pick in before the weekend.

Let's get'r done! I'm down with getting it kicked off now. :goodpost:

HOU-TEX 03-05-2009 10:41 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1134001)
I can send you my personal top 100 if you're interested.

That'd be great. Probably better than most of the talking heads anyway. Send it so it can be printed easily. What format you have it saved in?

bah007 03-05-2009 10:45 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 1134009)
That'd be great. Probably better than most of the talking heads anyway. Send it so it can be printed easily. What format you have it saved in?

Just a good old-fashioned word document. Looks pretty much like this all the way down:

1. Jason Smith - OT, Baylor
2. Aaron Curry - OLB, Wake Forest
3. Eugene Monroe - OT, Virginia
4. Michael Crabtree - WR, Texas Tech
5. Matthew Stafford - QB, Georgia
.
.
.

Blake 03-05-2009 10:58 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
This is the list. Make sure its correct:

Lions - Super Mario
Rams - WolverineFan
Chiefs - beerlover
Seahawks - gtexan02
Browns - HOU-TEX
Bengals - mussop
Raiders - Goldensilence
Jaguars - Texan4Ever
Packers - bah007
Niners - Specnatz
Bills - TexansSeminole
Broncos - Kaiser Toro
Redskins - steelbtexan
Saints - The Pencil Neck
Texans - Shaft75
Chargers - Tailgate
Jets - gtexan02
Bears - jgl35
Buccaneers - TimeKiller
Lions - super_mario
Eagles - Mari-OWNED!
Vikings - YoungTexanFan
Patriots - rmartin65
Falcons - JCTexan
Dolphins - Honoring Earl 34
Ravens - DiehardChris
Colts - Texan_JBZ
Eagles - Mari-OWNED!
Giants - Lork 88
Titans - TimeKiller
Cardinals - BigBull17
Steelers - Ole Miss Texan

Cowboys - Honoring Earl 34
Panthers - The Pencil Neck

WolverineFan 03-05-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1134019)
Just a good old-fashioned word document. Looks pretty much like this all the way down:

1. Jason Smith - OT, Baylor
2. Aaron Curry - OLB, Wake Forest
3. Eugene Monroe - OT, Virginia
4. Michael Crabtree - WR, Texas Tech
5. Matthew Stafford - QB, Georgia
.
.
.

Except for Matt Stafford at #5 right lol, jk.

Blake 03-05-2009 11:15 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
With the first pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select:

Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/R/...Stafford3a.jpg

Reasoning: With a canon for an arm he can make all the throws required in the NFL. He has good size and played in a pro-style offense for 3 years in the SEC taking snap directly from center.

With Culpepper and Stanton on the roster Stafford can sit for the year and learn the ropes while new HC Jim Schwartz builds up the team around their new franchise QB. Culpepper is a stop gap QB, and Stanton is a bad QB from the last regime.

This team needs a ton of help on both sides of the ball so I was also looking at Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith, and Aaron Curry with the first pick but decided on getting my franchise QB this year instead of taking a chance on being able to get one in 2010. There is no denying that the quarterback is the most important part of a football team.

bah007 03-05-2009 11:19 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
BOOO! (Jets fans)

Personally, I don't like spending first rounders on guys that can't contribute immediately.

BUT, Stafford is a guy that is gonna have to sit for a year anyway and the Lions do not have a franchise QB.

It's debatable where Stafford stands at right now, but what isn't debatable is that if it all comes together for him his ceiling will be extremely high.

Not a bad pick, IMO.

Goldensilence 03-05-2009 11:22 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Probably the best QB prospect in the draft and I'm not sure he would've gotten past San Fran at 10. Lions need help everywhere.

Blake 03-05-2009 11:29 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
I couldn't chance waiting till #20 to see if a QB dropped to me, plus I have no interest in drafting Freeman even in the 2nd round.

Lions fans are joining the Jets fans booing this one.

Also the only way I draft Stafford is if he sits for a year. If they want someone to suit up and start come August, then I would have gone with one of the other 3 I mentioned.

WolverineFan 03-05-2009 11:36 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

T - Jason Smith, Baylor

Reasoning: I really wanted to take Aaron Curry here, but with Orlando Pace reaching the end of his career you just cannot pass up an elite LT prospect. He is a little raw, but after a year or two on the bench behind Pace he will be ready.

With Pace and Barron holding down the starting jobs at Tackle, Smith can sit for a year and learn behind Pace. Barron has not panned out thus far at the RT position, but unless they move him to Guard and let Smith play RT then Smith will be a backup his rookie year.

I looked really hard at Curry here, but once again I just could not pass on a possible franchise LT. I also looked at Eugene Monroe here because he is the other elite Tackle propspect in the draft. While I believe Monroe is more polished than Smith, I took Smith because he has more potential and a higher ceiling IMO. After a year behind Pace the guy will be good and should hold down that LT spot for years.

Shaft75 03-05-2009 11:48 AM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolverineFan (Post 1134099)
With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

T - Jason Smith, Baylor

Reasoning: I really wanted to take Aaron Curry here, but with Orlando Pace reaching the end of his career you just cannot pass up an elite LT prospect. He is a little raw, but after a year or two on the bench behind Pace he will be ready.

With Pace and Barron holding down the starting jobs at Tackle, Smith can sit for a year and learn behind Pace. Barron has not panned out thus far at the RT position, but unless they move him to Guard and let Smith play RT then Smith will be a backup his rookie year.

I looked really hard at Curry here, but once again I just could not pass on a possible franchise LT. I also looked at Eugene Monroe here because he is the other elite Tackle propspect in the draft. While I believe Monroe is more polished than Smith, I took Smith because he has more potential and a higher ceiling IMO. After a year behind Pace the guy will be good and should hold down that LT spot for years.


Poor Calvin Johnson. Hasn't had one good qb in two seasons and now he has a rook. I think the pick was about par with what I have seen.

I also still thnk that you can't pass up Curry!

beerlover 03-05-2009 12:12 PM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
http://www.salem-news.com/spimg/apri...c-logo-350.jpg

3.

Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forrest 6016 254

Scott Pioli addressed QB in Free Agency (Matt Cassel) & a field coach to convert to the 3-4 (Mike Vrabel) so in KC tradition of Hall of Fame linebackers (Willie Lanier, Derrick Thomas) indentify the next elite LB to wreck havoc Aaron Curry. Curry is a special person, rock solid character & intangibles, you can't measure @ the combine (heart, character, work ethic). Still he put up solid if not great numbers (1.53/10 2.58/20 4.52/40 & 37" vertical). He performed all his drills looking flawless & fluid with a smile on his face. Curry leaves Wake Forest as a three-time all-conference selection, an All-American and the recipient of the 2008 Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/30/387930/1/85...yvsClemson.jpg

Blake 03-05-2009 12:15 PM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
And there he goes. From what I can gather, he is the TT board favorite.

So what linebacker position was he picked for?

bah007 03-05-2009 12:16 PM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1134161)
And there he goes. From what I can gather, he is the TT board favorite.

So what linebacker position was he picked for?

I'm guessing he would play ILB in a 34?...

gtexan02 03-05-2009 12:40 PM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
http://www.firstandtensportsden.com/...T-SEAHAWKS.jpg

With the 4th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Seattle Seahawks select...


Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

This was a pretty difficult choice. With the addition of TJ, wide receiver was no longer such a pressing need for the Seahawks. BJ Raji is a strong consideration, especially considering that a dominant DT would instantly upgrade the Seahawks defense. The signing of Colin Cole for 20 million, however, tells me that they probably aren't focusing on defensive tackle. We would have taken Curry here if he had fallen, even with the already high priced group of linebackers. His talent is just too great to pass up.

With all that said, the next biggest need for the Seahawks was a replacement for Walter Jones. At 35 years old, his play has definitely taken a hit recently, and everyone expects him to retire next year. Injury is already a concern, Monroe is ready to step in and take playing time ASAP. They would have preferred Smith, as he seems to have a little higher ceiling, and despite being a little more raw, would have had time to develop. With all that said, Monroe is a pretty strong candidate to replace Jones. He is a superb pass blocker, has great size and is incredibly athletic. He comes from a long line of successful offensive lineman from Virginia, so his chances for success are pretty high. He was the reason Albert started at LG throughout his time on the Virginia OL, and therefore projects to be even better than the Chiefs rookie standout

WolverineFan 03-05-2009 12:50 PM

Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtexan02 (Post 1134195)
http://www.firstandtensportsden.com/...T-SEAHAWKS.jpg

With the 4th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Seattle Seahawks select...


Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

This was a pretty difficult choice. With the addition of TJ, wide receiver was no longer such a pressing need for the Seahawks. BJ Raji is a strong consideration, especially considering that a dominant DT would instantly upgrade the Seahawks defense. The signing of Colin Cole for 20 million, however, tells me that they probably aren't focusing on defensive tackle. We would have taken Curry here if he had fallen, even with the already high priced group of linebackers. His talent is just too great to pass up.

With all that said, the next biggest need for the Seahawks was a replacement for Walter Jones. At 35 years old, his play has definitely taken a hit recently, and everyone expects him to retire next year. Injury is already a concern, Monroe is ready to step in and take playing time ASAP. They would have preferred Smith, as he seems to have a little higher ceiling, and despite being a little more raw, would have had time to develop. With all that said, Monroe is a pretty strong candidate to replace Jones. He is a superb pass blocker, has great size and is incredibly athletic. He comes from a long line of successful offensive lineman from Virginia, so his chances for success are pretty high. He was the reason Albert started at LG throughout his time on the Virginia OL, and therefore projects to be even better than the Chiefs rookie standout

Seahawks are in the same boat as the Rams. They both have All-Pro LT's that are 34+ years old and need replacements. Good pick.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger