Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Drew Stanton, what do you think?? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59245)

thunderkyss 03-01-2009 03:55 PM

Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Detroit drafted him last year, in the second round. He had a decent career, at a decent program. He's got the tools...

Would you be thinking of drafting a QB #1 overall, if Stanton was sitting on your bench?

I understand there's a new regime coming in, and they'll want their own guy. But I think it'll be a mistake, to go with a QB, #1 overall.

bah007 03-01-2009 03:57 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1130531)
Detroit drafted him last year, in the second round. He had a decent career, at a decent program. He's got the tools...

Would you be thinking of drafting a QB #1 overall, if Stanton was sitting on your bench?

I understand there's a new regime coming in, and they'll want their own guy. But I think it'll be a mistake, to go with a QB, #1 overall.

Aw man. But that would screw up Kiper and McShay's mock drafts.

Honestly, who knows if the new guys have seen enough of Stanton to skip on a QB.

If it were me, I would take Curry #1 and the best OT at #20. Then I would go BPA at the top of the second.

They need to add some more pieces to the puzzle before they draft a rookie QB and get him Carr'ed.

mussop 03-01-2009 04:13 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1130536)
Aw man. But that would screw up Kiper and McShay's mock drafts.

Honestly, who knows if the new guys have seen enough of Stanton to skip on a QB.

If it were me, I would take Curry #1 and the best OT at #20. Then I would go BPA at the top of the second.

They need to add some more pieces to the puzzle before they draft a rookie QB and get him Carr'ed.

I believe Detroit will go Jason Smith or Curry at #1. Just to good of value to pass up.

PapaL 03-01-2009 04:14 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Very good point TK. They have a lot of holes; why drop all that dough on a #1QB when you can better fill out your roster?

From what I remember of Stanton's college days - he's not a scrub. He's been in the league a year now, sat on the bench and picked up some things.

TexansSeminole 03-01-2009 04:18 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
I agree with PapaL. Stanton was a legit player in college and hasn't had really any chance in Detroit.

I'd go Curry #1 overall, and BPA @ 20.

If I was Detroit I'd worry about my Oline and my defense, mainly my defense. Their defense was one of the worst I have seen since I started watching football.

rarazz00 03-01-2009 04:21 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1130536)
Aw man. But that would screw up Kiper and McShay's mock drafts.

Honestly, who knows if the new guys have seen enough of Stanton to skip on a QB.

If it were me, I would take Curry #1 and the best OT at #20. Then I would go BPA at the top of the second.

They need to add some more pieces to the puzzle before they draft a rookie QB and get him Carr'ed.

You got that right..now they just let two of their QB's land in Tejas...they may grab one in the 2nd or 3rd round....I agree that OT or LB will be takin 1st..probably OT so the can help protect what QB's they do have now.

Mailman 03-01-2009 04:34 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
The fact that they signed Culpepper and anointed him the starter tells you what they think about Stanton. He has not developed as quickly as they'd hoped so I doubt they envision him as their quarterback of the future. Detroit needs impact players and depth players all across the field, so I'd expect that in a perfect scenario there would be a no-doubt #1 overall player coveted by many teams who would give them the ability to trade down to acquire more picks. This is the wrong year to have the top pick. Curry is probably the safest pick, but is a LB worth #1 money? Assuming Stafford throws well at his pro day, I think they're taking him instead of Curry.

Kaiser Toro 03-01-2009 04:34 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Stanton is not a NFL QB and they should definitely not go QB at #1.

Texan4Ever 03-01-2009 04:42 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
With the re-signing of Cullpepper, the Lions were able to retain a veteran QB so at least they have someone to turn to when it comes to QB. As for Drew Stanton, if he is to become the Lions future QB he needs to start from day one or at least try and play in all 16 games so he can get a feel from what its like to lead an offense.

I'm sure they can add another QB or sign one in the FAs if need be.

The Lions are in re-building mode and IMO, you build a team in the trenches. There offensive and defensive lines are horrible and they are in urgent need of upgrades. They could follow the Texans example by taking a DE like we did in 2006, but there is no true 4-3 DE worthy of the 1st overall selection.

So...it comes down to either Jason Smith or Aaron Curry IMO. Both of them can step in from day one and make an impact on there team, Smith can secure the o-line and Curry can become a force in the linebacking corps. so either one would be a good pick.

ChampionTexan 03-01-2009 04:53 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Pretty much identical to the situation with John Beck and the Dolphins when Tuna & Co. came in. Second round pick of the old regime from the year before, and the new regime had no use for him.

If I had to guess, I don't think Detroit will go QB at #1, but it will have nothing to do with the presence of Stanton. It will be because they don't view any QB in this years draft as worthy of the #1 pick.

Blake 03-01-2009 06:38 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Stanton is going to be the backup. I think they go Stafford since there is not a consensus #1 OT.

As for Curry, history is not on his side. The last time a LB was taken #1 overall was in 1988, Aundrey Brice from Auburn and he was a BUST.

New HC. New GM. New Lions = Stafford #1. The Lions are looking for a new direction and until they get their face of the franchise they will be the same old Lions. Also I read an article that made sense to me about how the owner is going to think. A QB is going to put buts in seats generating more money.

As for him getting Carr'ed (Should be added to the dictionary) for every Carr, there is a Rivers and Roethlisberger.

Yes a LB can come in and upgrade your D basically instantly, but a stud QB can will your team to the playoffs for a decade.

/rant

bah007 03-01-2009 06:42 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1130638)
Stanton is going to be the backup. I think they go Stafford since there is not a consensus #1 OT.

As for Curry, history is not on his side. The last time a LB was taken #1 overall was in 1988, Aundrey Brice from Auburn and he was a BUST.

New HC. New GM. New Lions = Stafford #1. The Lions are looking for a new direction and until they get their face of the franchise they will be the same old Lions. Also I read an article that made sense to me about how the owner is going to think. A QB is going to put buts in seats generating more money.

As for him getting Carr'ed (Should be added to the dictionary) for every Carr, there is a Rivers and Roethlisberger.

Yes a LB can come in and upgrade your D basically instantly, but a stud QB can will your team to the playoffs for a decade.

/rant

I get your point, but Rivers & Roethlisberger didn't get drafted by a team that went 0-16.

I think Jason Smith will be the #1 pick and if Detroit brings in a rookie QB and expects him to start, he is going to get killed.

If you wanna draft Stafford #1, but make him sit the bench then that's fine. But I am generally against taking a player in the 1st that can't contribute immediately.

Honoring Earl 34 03-01-2009 06:43 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
I would go with my highest rated LT 1st .

TexansSeminole 03-01-2009 06:49 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1130644)
I get your point, but Rivers & Roethlisberger didn't get drafted by a team that went 0-16.

Exactly. Those guys went to teams that were good. Even Matt Ryan had a decent situation in Atlanta.

WolverineFan 03-01-2009 07:00 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Any rookie QB that gets taken by Detroit will get destroyed. They need to fix all of the other problems first before they worry about a QB. I say let Culpepper and Stanton compete at QB for now and build up the O-Line and the defense.

Blake 03-01-2009 09:04 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1130644)
I get your point, but Rivers & Roethlisberger didn't get drafted by a team that went 0-16.

I think Jason Smith will be the #1 pick and if Detroit brings in a rookie QB and expects him to start, he is going to get killed.

If you wanna draft Stafford #1, but make him sit the bench then that's fine. But I am generally against taking a player in the 1st that can't contribute immediately.

I will agree on Ben, but Rivers went to a 4-12 team that was consistently bad like the Lions have been these past few years.

I would never expect Stafford to start from day one. He would be the #3 QB like Ben and Philip, and depending on the circumstances he would move up the depth chart most and get the nod in 2010.

I am fine with Jason Smith as #1, but we should be able to agree that OL has just as much bust factor as QB this high in the draft.

ChampionTexan 03-01-2009 09:12 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
edit

thunderkyss 03-01-2009 10:55 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 1130646)
I would go with my highest rated LT 1st .

They've already got two 1st round OTs on their team. What's one more going to do?

Honoring Earl 34 03-01-2009 11:09 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1130876)
They've already got two 1st round OTs on their team. What's one more going to do?

Backus is 31 and Gosder was picked by Millen . They have all kinds of holes to fill so why not start with a position that demands high pay , is esential , and they play a long time . Besides a QB at #1 in my opinion would be a reach in this draft .

Texan4Ever 03-01-2009 11:33 PM

Re: Drew Stanton, what do you think??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderkyss (Post 1130876)
They've already got two 1st round OTs on their team. What's one more going to do?


From what I hear, many Lions fans and some experts as well are suggesting that if they got an OT like Jason Smith they can then slide Jeff Backus to guard, but I dunno if that will work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger