Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2005 Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5910)

willy 01-14-2005 06:10 AM

2005 Draft
 
Hi everyone, how long...

What do you think that the Texans need the most in this year's draft(2005)? Maybe its a little bit earlier but I think that all of uss know perfectly what our team needs...

For me, its one speedster-pure pass rusher Defensive End (I was so disapointed when the team selected a CB and a LB in the last year's draft, but I have to say that Im so pleased with Dunta's production...), but I still think that we need a major force in the D line, someone who the defenses have to be afraid of.

What do you think about that?

Willy

Honoring Earl 34 01-14-2005 09:07 AM

all for it
 
The Texans need to upgrade their lines.The OL and DL need help.If a can't miss cornerback or LB fell to me I'd consider it.But I would not take an offensive skills player.Why have a Corvette if you don't have a garage to keep it from getting beat up. :hmmm:

MIGHTYTEX 01-16-2005 08:39 AM

"But I would not take an offensive skills player."

I'm sure the team has a list of top players they want. I would like to see them select a defensive player. However, I wouldn't be upset if we select a top rated WR to go along with AJ. Think about it, if we had 2 top WR's we'd be set.

beerlover 01-16-2005 10:22 AM

this is most perplexing......the draft, what the Texans need & who will be available? i totally agree that pass rushing is one of two priorities the Texans must address. that being said since Ngata (big NT) is staying in school, there will be no blue chip DT available & pick #13. the 4-3 DE does not fit in the Texans 3-4, the Texans depend on linebackers or secondary to rush the QB in different zone blitzes of which the top two prospects here Derrick Johnson LB & safety Thomas Davis will already be picked. to me it looks more & more like if the Texans address this need with their 1st pick that Casserly will trade down & aquire more picks in the process.

the second pressing need is the offensive line. i'm thinking the ends are set with Wand & Wade but that a stud guard & center are needed. i'm just about finished with my mock draft and this is the direction i see the Texans heading should they remain @ #13. i will post after the conclusion of the games today after all the dust has settled under Mock Drafts thread, then its up to Vinny to plan which direction the Texans go since he will be the GM :shocked

edo783 01-16-2005 05:11 PM

My guess is that they will look for one of the top CBs, if not there, trade down. Kind of disapointing that some of the kids are staying in school that could help us. Never know what CC will do though.

Hottoddie 01-16-2005 06:25 PM

I'm of the belief that they'll trade down & go after a stud NT like Antaaj Hawthorne. He's big, strong, & would give us the player we need to collapse the pocket, or tie up 2 blockers on every play. Resign Payne & move him over to the LDE position (Good bye, Mister Walker), & we're set on the starting DL. We should be able to pick up a solid CB in the 2nd round & I'd look to get ILB Robert McCune with our first 3rd round pick. With my 2nd 3rd round pick, I'd take the best OL/DL (David Baas, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Kemoeatu, Luis Castillo) available.

Keep an eye on Jerome Collins (TE) Notre Dame in the late rounds. He could be a sleeper.

Errant Hothy 01-16-2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottoddie
I'm of the belief that they'll trade down & go after a stud NT like Antaaj Hawthorne. He's big, strong, & would give us the player we need to collapse the pocket, or tie up 2 blockers on every play.

Odds are that if you want Mister Hawthorne you will hav eto trade up to get him. With the thinnning talent at DT he is likely a to go before we pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottoddie
We should be able to pick up a solid CB in the 2nd round & I'd look to get ILB Robert McCune with our first 3rd round pick. With my 2nd 3rd round pick, I'd take the best OL/DL (David Baas, Ben Wilkerson, Chris Kemoeatu, Luis Castillo) available.

Keep an eye on Jerome Collins (TE) Notre Dame in the late rounds. He could be a sleeper.

Once again if you want Baas he is unlikely to be there at our second third. At the first third, maybe; he's one of the top three OG in this draft.

Hottoddie 01-16-2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Odds are that if you want Mister Hawthorne you will hav eto trade up to get him. With the thinnning talent at DT he is likely a to go before we pick.

I disagree that he'll go before the 13th pick. I see Aaron Rodgers, Cedric Benson, Alex Smith, Alex Baron, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Davis, Erasmus James, Cadillac Williams, Pacman Jones, Ronnie Brown, Justin Miller, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, David Pollack, & possibly Travis Johnson being drafted before Hawthorne. That's as many as 17 players. Now, I wouldn't trade down any farther than the 19th pick, because I would expect Dallas to take him at the 20th pick. Also, if I were to trade down, it would be for a pick next year. Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd round pick?



Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Once again if you want Baas he is unlikely to be there at our second third. At the first third, maybe; he's one of the top three OG in this draft.

You might be right about Baas, but there are several other quality players that would be available.

Errant Hothy 01-16-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottoddie
I disagree that he'll go before the 13th pick. I see Aaron Rodgers, Cedric Benson, Alex Smith, Alex Baron, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Davis, Erasmus James, Cadillac Williams, Pacman Jones, Ronnie Brown, Justin Miller, Carlos Rogers, Marlin Jackson, David Pollack, & possibly Travis Johnson being drafted before Hawthorne. That's as many as 17 players. Now, I wouldn't trade down any farther than the 19th pick, because I would expect Dallas to take him at the 20th pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys take Hawthorne at 11, or do they pick 10 (?). Mainly because there several rumors here in DFW that they want to switch to a 3-4, and they have nobody of great size on the D-line. Aad they problay feel like alot of 3-4 teams the the tweener DEs/OLBs fall better than the D-line men. Then again this could all change after the Combine.

F-minus67 01-16-2005 11:05 PM

Hawthorne will last until us for sure because the teams infront of us have more glaring needs and most are set at DT. And there are better DTs like Travis Johnson and Shaun Cody.

YoungTexanFan 01-17-2005 01:26 PM

cody is not better. both cody's will be late first, early second. i dont think either one will be a consisent playmaker. i would be surprised to see the cowboys pass on rolle for hawthorne. but if they do, i would take rolle even if i had to trade up a pick. would be fun to sit in the cowboys war room over that choice.

shinerbock_girl 01-18-2005 04:17 PM

I just heard on NFL live that Denver is looking to trade Reuben Droughns....Is Wells staying with us??? I'm not talking about replacing DD because i think he's awesome, but this RD would be a good compliment to him if Wells leaves...

infantrycak 01-18-2005 06:01 PM

JMO, but they are looking to sucker some team into giving up way too much for him like a 2nd round draft pick or so. His numbers were good this year, but look at it this way--this is the same OL Clinton Portis averaged 5.5 ypc behind for 2 years. Droughns averaged 4.5. Portis behind a less talented OL averaged 3.8. Buyer beware on this one.

jacquescas 01-18-2005 06:49 PM

i wonder if any team bites on droughns

texan279 01-18-2005 06:54 PM

If our O line has their zone blocking down, why not take a shot at him if the price is not too high. I mean look what DD did behind that line the last 3 or 4 games of the season. And with Hollings and his consistent injuries, we may need RB in the near future.

infantrycak 01-18-2005 09:44 PM

As a follow up, here is more evidence for what would be a sucker bet IMO:

Droughns has been given permission to seek a trade.

Quote:

The Broncos are said to be seeking one high-round draft pick and one middle-round selection for Droughns
Link

While he is clearly too small to be an every down back (folks that haven't been here long enough--sarcasm alert) having him would be fine, but not at the cost of anything over a 5th round pick IMO.

THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID 01-18-2005 10:10 PM

I agree, he is another one of them one-hit wonders in Denver. Anyteam would be stupid and should fire there GM if they take up Droughins for a 1st and 2nd day draft pick. Thats why I think its going to happen. Droughns is probably wanting the trade because Denver has already told him "hey you ain't gonna be the guy next season, we got Tatum Bell". If he can't start in Denver, heck he can't start anywhere. Well okay, maybe the Cardinals or Dolphins who are desperate, but take the Dolphins out of it, I have heard Travis Henry wants to be traded to Miami. I have also heard that (and I have no link for this) that the Edge might end up in Denver if he does fall though the Colts grasp.

texan279 01-18-2005 10:40 PM

Either Edgerrin of Travis Henry will end up in Miami, Henry already has sold his house and packed his things and I read somewhere before that If Edgerrin was ever traded or released he wants to play in Miami I think becuase he grew up there, I cannot remember.

AndreJ 01-18-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texan279
Either Edgerrin of Travis Henry will end up in Miami, Henry already has sold his house and packed his things and I read somewhere before that If Edgerrin was ever traded or released he wants to play in Miami I think becuase he grew up there, I cannot remember.

Well dat dair town aint gone be big enuff fur da both of em' :howdy:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger