Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   This draft really sucks at DT (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5899)

Grid 01-13-2005 03:37 PM

This draft really sucks at DT

Looking over the draft boards.. this is really giving me a headache.

Outside of the top guys (Wright, Hawthorne, Ngata) .. everyone who is big enough to be a 3-4 DT seems to have the same description. Great run stuffer, not much of a pass rush, out of shape, underacheiver, doesnt give 100%...

Needless to say that isnt very promising. as things are right now.. I dont see us taking a DT in the draft.. unless its to draft a guy like Sione Pouha out of Utah, or Albert Means out of Memphis.. in the later rounds, just as depth.

I see us instead going for a DE.. and making due with either Smith or Deloach at DT.. or an FA.

Spears and Hawthorne.. both should be available to us and either one of them could be a nice DE for us.

Do yall think Spears will fall to the second with his knee injury? or maybe we should trade down and grab him a little later in the first?

Grid 01-13-2005 03:38 PM

btw im assuming that Payne either doesnt get resigned.. or is not the same after another knee surgery.. but it is entirely possible he could be back and 100%.. and resigned.

Vinny 01-13-2005 03:39 PM

If you read some of the old Dom Davis's draft profiles you would see he wasn't going to be drafted because he was so average and limited in some of them (interesting that some of the old profiles are no longer on the web....I'd take some of them down too).

There are guys out there, but I agree, this is a bit of a weak draft.

Blake 01-13-2005 03:45 PM

This is a seriously big reason the Texans should conisider droping down to get Spears later.

If they do stay, then they need to get good value with the pick.

IE, Adam Jones, Alex Barron, Thomas Davis.

wags 01-13-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grid
or is not the same after another knee surgery..

I don't think it was knee surgery, pretty sure it was his hammy. I believe he already had the surgery and Dom said it would be six month rehab.

Grid 01-13-2005 03:46 PM

I hope we find another 4th round diamond in the rough. Speaking of which.. I mentioned Sione Pouha..

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/pla...ionepouha.html

does this guy sound like our kinda guy or what? as far as attitude anyway.. and he is big and a run stuffer.. I could see us grabbing him on the second day.

Grid 01-13-2005 03:49 PM

I would be worried about dropping down and grabbing spears.. the DE pool is better than the DT pool.. but not that much. And as 3-4 guys go.. Spears is the only guy im seeing who has 3-4 DE size... and could even be picked up by a 4-3 team to play either DE or DT. Hawthorne..in alot of the mocks im seeing.. is getting grabbed at #17 by the cowgirls.. so id be really worried about dropping down and someone else grabbing spears before he fell to us. I hear the talk about him dropping to the 2nd with his knee injury.. but I wouldnt say that it is written in stone.

hou059 01-13-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

I hope we find another 4th round diamond in the rough. Speaking of which.. I mentioned Sione Pouha..

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/pla...ionepouha.html

does this guy sound like our kinda guy or what? as far as attitude anyway.. and he is big and a run stuffer.. I could see us grabbing him on the second day.

I mentioned him before. I like him alot. I hope he does well in his workouts and combines. He seems like a good guy as well, took some time off to do some missionary work. I think he is our kinda guy.

DoCt3rJ 01-13-2005 05:41 PM

I agree it is weak at DT, I think its pretty deep at CB this year though. I'd like to see us get a CB 1st-3rd rounds.

ledzeppelin229 01-13-2005 05:49 PM

I wouldn't count on Spears dropping to the 2nd round. McGahee had a horrific knee injury and he was still picked up 23rd overall, and it's worked out for the Bills. Therefore quite a few teams might jump on him in the 20-32 range.

If we could trade down to 20, pick up a 2nd rounder, and grab Spears, I would call the draft a success. (assuming the other picks aren't all busts)

Huge 01-13-2005 06:03 PM

Quote:

Looking over the draft boards.. this is really giving me a headache.

Outside of the top guys (Wright, Hawthorne, Ngata) .. everyone who is big enough to be a 3-4 DT seems to have the same description. Great run stuffer, not much of a pass rush, out of shape, underacheiver, doesnt give 100%...

Needless to say that isnt very promising. as things are right now.. I dont see us taking a DT in the draft.. unless its to draft a guy like Sione Pouha out of Utah, or Albert Means out of Memphis.. in the later rounds, just as depth.

I see us instead going for a DE.. and making due with either Smith or Deloach at DT.. or an FA.

Spears and Hawthorne.. both should be available to us and either one of them could be a nice DE for us.

Do yall think Spears will fall to the second with his knee injury? or maybe we should trade down and grab him a little later in the first?

By "Wright" do you mean Rod Wright of Texas? He hasn't announced he's leaving and nobody at the school really expects him to.

ArlingtonTexan 01-13-2005 06:29 PM

The job of the scouting department is to indentify talent that is not obvious to us or the internet draftsperts, so while I get that there are not a lot of DTs, I am only really concerned about the Texans getting one or two that can play for us.

As i remember, the year we got DomDavis was concerned below average for RBs, but we got a player.

Grid 01-13-2005 06:30 PM

yah i meant wright from texas.. Ngata hasnt declared and nobody expect him to either.. they are the two best 3-4 DTs.. and neither will be in the draft most likely.

Grid 01-13-2005 06:35 PM

I dont doubt that if there is a good DT out there.. our front office can find them.. what concerns me is the lack of depth, which does two things.

1. it ruins our fun since there is no semi-obvious choice :) its not like it was with Andre Johnson, or even Dunta Robinson.. there is no one on the Dline to really choose from as a sure thing.

2. it will make it harder to get that special player that is floating under the radar.. since alot more people are going to be looking for him. We may find ourself in the situation we were in with Babin.. a small school guy that would have most likely been available in the late 2nd or 3rd if the draft had been deeper at that position.. instead we had to trade up to the first to get him. basicly.. it increases the value of guys that are more of a risk.. and since we need to draft a player at that position(DT).. it means we are going to have to take a risk and use a higher draft pick on them. Which is why I think there is a good chance we may not go for a DT, and instead focus on getting us a DE.. since there are at least a couple guys in the draft which would be considered immediate impact players at that position.

ArlingtonTexan 01-13-2005 08:05 PM

Remember the guys that play DT in college play NT and DE will a few exceptions. An under the radar DLman to watch for is Chris Canty. He is around 6'6" 290-295ish who was rated as 2nd rounder before and injury this fall. He has experience playing DE in 3-4 at Virginia on the hand full of schools that run the defense.

Yeah, i don't mean to ruin your fun :dancing:

THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID 01-13-2005 10:09 PM

Somebody mentioned McGahee, McGahee was a Top 5 choice, probably a Texan at #3 before his knee injury..............Spears is not a top 5 choice. I think Spears will be a late 1st rounder, as in the 27-32 range. We may have to do the same thing we did last year, trade all of our other 1st day picks for Spears. Unlikely, but if thats what it takes to get him.......

As for DT, Ngata sounds like an interesting prospect and so does Pouha, but what about that kid for Alabama of yall been talking about? If we take a DT it will be on the 2nd day..........

SESupergenius 01-14-2005 10:05 AM

I don't think Ngata has delcared yet so he may not be in the cards this year.

infantrycak 01-14-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags
I don't think it was knee surgery, pretty sure it was his hammy. I believe he already had the surgery and Dom said it would be six month rehab.

It was a hammy surgery--it has already been completed--and it is the same one Gary Walker had during the off-season before his pro-bowl 2002 season. At NT I'd bet on Payne with someone drafted to develop.

beerlover 01-14-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
It was a hammy surgery--it has already been completed--and it is the same one Gary Walker had during the off-season before his pro-bowl 2002 season. At NT I'd bet on Payne with someone drafted to develop.

this is good news infantry & I agree with your opinion the Texans need to draft his future replacement :thumbup

Errant Hothy 01-14-2005 11:25 AM

Albert Menas was mentioned earlier and I think he might be some good depth at NT and may have the talent to become a solid starter. He came to the Shrine game, measuring 6' 3.5" and 321 lbs (which will help to quite soem of the concerns that he may have problems controlling his weight). He's definitly big enough to play NT, seems to have good quickness and plays the run better than most. The concerns are that he sin't in teh shape he needs to be, and add that to his size, he dosn't have great stamina. The more troubling is that he has the handle of an underachiever.

Just someone to keep an eye out on at the combine.