Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texan Tailgate (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58989)

texanmojo 02-21-2009 08:40 AM

Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
With the state of the current economy, I had been wondering if the Texans would have a sellout of the stadium again this year. Well, I am beginning to feel that we might not have a sold out stadium this year.

Normally, I have to wait until April to get the Texans to tell me if there are extra seats in my area and I have to initate the call. Each year, it seems that friends want to sit with us. To be fair, I do usually get a call in the late summer to see if I would like some extra seats. Anyway, the Texans contacted me before my payment was due to let me know this year that seats are available in my section if I want them...and to make matters worse, quite a few seats. I am also seeing quite a few people selling their season tickets on this board.

I realize that there is a lot of time between now and opening day to sell tickets, but do you think we are likely to see our 1st non-sold out stadium? What about the chance for our first blacked out home games?

SheTexan 02-21-2009 08:51 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Papa McNair will see to it that this is a sold out season. Corporate sponsers buy up tickets all the time and give them to clients, and/or charities. They have the big bucks, we don't!!!

Bipolar The Titan 02-21-2009 08:53 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
probably a pretty good chance.

I was laid off from my job several months ago and have been unable to find suitable work. My LP Field tickets are up for sale. I wish to retain my licenses so my plan is to find someone who wants to buy the tickets and just let them pay the invoice and hand them the tickets. I hate that it has come to that but my wife is having a baby in June. Things will get better, but in the short term it kinda sucks.

I'm glad that I am in Chattanooga rather than Nashville so at least in the UNLIKELY event LP Field does not sell out (It will) I will at least not be subject to blackout.

Bipolar The Titan 02-21-2009 08:55 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 1123526)
Papa McNair will see to it that this is a sold out season. Corporate sponsers buy up tickets all the time and give them to clients, and/or charities. They have the big bucks, we don't!!!

you have a good point with the corporate buy out thing... but I don't know. Industry usually has big bucks but they usually don't have widespread lay-offs either. Maybe they could include Texans tickets in their severance packages. :thisbig:

texanmojo 02-21-2009 09:46 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SheTexan (Post 1123526)
Papa McNair will see to it that this is a sold out season. Corporate sponsers buy up tickets all the time and give them to clients, and/or charities. They have the big bucks, we don't!!!

I'd like to believe this but the truth of the matter is that many compaies, here in Houston included, are tightening their budgets. They might not spend as much $$$ on things like tickets.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right about Bob, but I really don't feel as optimistic.

texanmojo 02-21-2009 09:48 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 1123528)
probably a pretty good chance.

I was laid off from my job several months ago and have been unable to find suitable work. My LP Field tickets are up for sale. I wish to retain my licenses so my plan is to find someone who wants to buy the tickets and just let them pay the invoice and hand them the tickets. I hate that it has come to that but my wife is having a baby in June. Things will get better, but in the short term it kinda sucks.

I'm glad that I am in Chattanooga rather than Nashville so at least in the UNLIKELY event LP Field does not sell out (It will) I will at least not be subject to blackout.

That sucks man. Hope you find work soon. Good luck.

eriadoc 02-21-2009 10:19 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Well, the Texans have opted to raise prices right when the rest of the country is opting to lower expenses. The team's reassurance that their price hikes are lower than other teams' is no consolation when you're a family operating on a realistic budget.

Joe Texan 02-21-2009 10:25 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Sorry to hear Bi Polar,

I am strugling but I will be there if I have to sneak in

Speedy 02-21-2009 12:02 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by texanmojo.com (Post 1123524)
With the state of the current economy, I had been wondering if the Texans would have a sellout of the stadium again this year. Well, I am beginning to feel that we might not have a sold out stadium this year.

Normally, I have to wait until April to get the Texans to tell me if there are extra seats in my area and I have to initate the call. Each year, it seems that friends want to sit with us. To be fair, I do usually get a call in the late summer to see if I would like some extra seats. Anyway, the Texans contacted me before my payment was due to let me know this year that seats are available in my section if I want them...and to make matters worse, quite a few seats. I am also seeing quite a few people selling their season tickets on this board.

I realize that there is a lot of time between now and opening day to sell tickets, but do you think we are likely to see our 1st non-sold out stadium? What about the chance for our first blacked out home games?

I want to add a seat and was told where I'm sitting (547), there was nothing available.

Could we be looking at our 1st blackout?

A sign of what's to come may be how Astros tickets are selling, specifically Opening Day. Their tickets went on sale last Friday and normally, the past few years, Opening Day would be sold out within minutes. This year I had forgotten when the tickets went on sale and didn't get around to looking until the following Monday and there were still plenty of tickets available. And this is for the Cubs which usually draws big Cub crowds.

Now the Astros aren't expected to do anything this year so that's probably playing into it. Just sayin'.

I suspect this would be a good year to upgrade your seats, if you can still afford them. Luckily, thankfully, I'm in for another season.

MannyFresh 02-21-2009 12:57 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Sign of the times for for now... I was ready to buy and be a first bonafide season ticket holder, but this economy has got me saving and just on high alert for now. So I'll do like last year and just buy those who are selling game by game each week which is still alright by me. Plus that gave me a chance to experience the game from different sections of the stadium. I'm still in the market, but the only if the price is right, meaning straight up face value.

b0ng 02-21-2009 01:45 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
That could be specific to just your section. I don't think Uncle Bob will let a game get blacked out and he's pretty well connected throughout Houston.

It could happen, but as good as our team has been the past few years, I think plenty of people will come and buy any single game tickets that are available before we get blacked out.

Also, if we start off by winning 3 or 4 in a row, you can bet blackouts will need not apply here.

Dr2bKay 02-21-2009 06:02 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipolar The Titan (Post 1123528)
probably a pretty good chance.

I was laid off from my job several months ago and have been unable to find suitable work. My LP Field tickets are up for sale. I wish to retain my licenses so my plan is to find someone who wants to buy the tickets and just let them pay the invoice and hand them the tickets. I hate that it has come to that but my wife is having a baby in June. Things will get better, but in the short term it kinda sucks.

I'm glad that I am in Chattanooga rather than Nashville so at least in the UNLIKELY event LP Field does not sell out (It will) I will at least not be subject to blackout.

PM me the details on your tickets. My parents may be interested depending on the location.

CloakNNNdagger 02-21-2009 07:51 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
It's apparent to me that with team tickets continuing to go up while the economy continues to free fall, the common fan's past loyalty and support is of little interest. Even if you can get through the door, don't expect to see the price of your beer, hot dogs, popcorn and soft drinks to go for peanuts......and don't be surprised if they go UP. If the corporations do somehow buy out most of the the non-claimed tickets, the average fan will be relegated to watching their tv's on game day..........or be afforded the premium luxury of watching from the nosebleed sections. Only when the Texans higher ups and corporate entities find their wallets dwindling en par with the "common people," will the game be given back to the real fans.

Honoring Earl 34 02-21-2009 09:48 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
I'm betting the Cowboys and their new stadium are in a worse situation .

MannyFresh 02-21-2009 10:54 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 1123830)
It's apparent to me that with team tickets continuing to go up while the economy continues to free fall, the common fan's past loyalty and support is of little interest. Even if you can get through the door, don't expect to see the price of your beer, hot dogs, popcorn and soft drinks to go for peanuts......and don't be surprised if they go UP. If the corporations do somehow buy out most of the the non-claimed tickets, the average fan will be relegated to watching their tv's on game day..........or be afforded the premium luxury of watching from the nosebleed sections. Only when the Texans higher ups and corporate entities find their wallets dwindling en par with the "common people," will the game be given back to the real fans.

Oh God, don't tell me the fan next to me will be clutching their Prada/Fendi bag or worried their Banana Republic gear will get dirty worrying about the true fan...oh the horror!

CloakNNNdagger 02-22-2009 12:28 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 1123880)
I'm betting the Cowboys and their new stadium are in a worse situation .

Naming rights negotiations with the only interested party just broke down. The support projects that were to be in place by opening day, ie., restaurants, hotels, parking, convention center have all gone by the wayside and are not expected to be in place even by the 2011 Super Bowl.

From what I've read, about 273 of the 300 suites and 85% of the seats have been accounted for. But these numbers may be deceiving, if corporate and personal defaults occur because monies have dried up........and representation of the product(s) have not been met. For those who can manage to hang in there, they can expect to treat themselve to fine dining in such nearby hot spots as CiCi's Pizza and Panda Express.

This LINK will take you to an article which should make even Jones suddenly develop a need for a continuous supply of Maalox and Pepcid.

MannyFresh 02-22-2009 12:36 AM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger (Post 1123930)
Naming rights negotiations with the only interested party just broke down. The support projects that were to be in place by opening day, ie., restaurants, hotels, parking, convention center have all gone by the wayside and are not expected to be in place even by the 2011 Super Bowl.

From what I've read, about 273 of the 300 suites and 85% of the seats have been accounted for. But these numbers may be deceiving, if corporate and personal defaults occur because monies have dried up........and representation of the product(s) have not been met. For those who can manage to hang in there, they can expect to treat themselve to fine dining in such nearby hot spots as CiCi's Pizza and Panda Express.

This LINK will take you to an article which should make even Jones suddenly develop a need for a continuous supply of Maalox and Pepcid.

I say relocate SB for Houston in 2011.

ensign_lee 02-23-2009 10:03 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Having your fans pay 10% of your season ticket cost less than a month after the superbowl (weeks even!) might have a little something to do with those numbers.

ESAD2-14 02-23-2009 10:19 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
The statements after the article (by the readers) seem to relay that all is not well in Jerry Land. Much like the rest of the country these days.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that Six Flags was talking bankruptcy, so there is one less attraction in Arlington if that happens. Not that it was affordable to go there anyway before the economy took a crap.

texanmojo 02-23-2009 10:31 PM

Re: Something is telling me...stadium won't be sold out this year...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ensign_lee (Post 1125085)
Having your fans pay 10% of your season ticket cost less than a month after the superbowl (weeks even!) might have a little something to do with those numbers.

My bill arrived at least a week before the superbowl was played.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger