Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Shawne Merriman (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5890)

F-minus67 01-13-2005 11:24 AM

Shawne Merriman

When I first saw this guy, I wasn't that high on him and him fitting into an OLB on the team. But the more I saw of him, the more he reminds me of Joey Porter. They are about the same size and in terms of athletic ability, Merriman might have the edge. With that being said, if the team trades down into the 20s, this guy should be the guy chosen.

F-minus67 01-13-2005 11:31 AM

As I mentioned befor this guy is a stud at OLB, here are some of his numbers.
He stands 6'4" and weighs in at 245lbs. He has a 41 1/2 inch vertical leap, benches 385 lbs and squats 590 lbs. His numbers for last year are 55 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 01-13-2005 11:38 AM

I mentioned his name a couple of times on this board. I think Merriman would make a better 3-4 OLB than David Pollack or Dan Cody.

YoungTexanFan 01-14-2005 09:04 PM

i agree but i think he might slip to the second round. he would be a no brainer for us there if he were there. he will be like peek w/out the attitude and even better numbers.

isnt that what everyone is asking for?

F-minus67 01-14-2005 10:15 PM

He is a real stand up guy. He helped set up a basketball game that got something like 3000 jackets for the poor and homeless.

D-ReK 01-24-2005 01:56 PM

I'm with you, F-minus67...At first, I was down on him, but he has a lot of potential...I highly doubt he'll be available in the second though...He may not even be available at 13...

If we were to draft him, he could take over ROLB and Wong would move inside...Merriman would be an upgrade over Wong because he is a better pass rusher and is supposed to be good in coverage...

I think he may be our pick if Johnson is off the board...

Vinny 01-24-2005 02:03 PM

I was going to take him in our mock. I traded down when the Cowboys took him. He is a total freak. He has the potential to be Jevon Kearse-like as an edge rusher. He will not last long in the first round.

Mistril48 01-24-2005 05:21 PM

I read somehwere that he ran a 4.5. I find that hard to believe, but I guess we'll know soon with the Senior Bowl, combines, workouts, etc...

Cincinnatikid 01-24-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
i agree but i think he might slip to the second round. he would be a no brainer for us there if he were there. he will be like peek w/out the attitude and even better numbers.

isnt that what everyone is asking for?

attitude? he may have some extra "attitude" but its more of a willing to play hard and not take ****. All year long people talked about wanting his attitude on teh field because his fire is what this team needs. I just find it comical how often everyone on here changes their minds on who they want to play and they think should be replaced. if they waste a high draft on a OLB this season and peek doesnt play again, he will be the next steve foley without a doubt.

D-ReK 01-24-2005 07:41 PM

Personally, I don't have as much of a problem with Peek's as I do his lack of coverage skills...As of now, he is a situational pass rusher at best, like Terrell Suggs...

Regardless, the 34 thrives on LBs, so why not draft another (ie Merriman), and allow there to be a Babin, Merriman, Peek rotation?

Cincinnatikid 01-24-2005 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-ReK
Personally, I don't have as much of a problem with Peek's as I do his lack of coverage skills...As of now, he is a situational pass rusher at best, like Terrell Suggs...

Regardless, the 34 thrives on LBs, so why not draft another (ie Merriman), and allow there to be a Babin, Merriman, Peek rotation?

Lack of coverage skills? when did he get burnt in coverage during the regular season? And he also had and INT against Peyton Manning in coverage. There are no facts behind these statements, simply hear say and repeating other quotes about his play. There are no specific instances from this regular season that show Peek screwed up in coverage or even against the run. Like i said, if he doesnt start he will be gone next season. And with Romeo going to Cleveland, as much as i hate sayign that being from cincinnati, thats a place close to home that he could go, or even to Pitt. It will be his 3rd yera learning the system, just the amount of time that many people say it develops, so he deserves the shot.

D-ReK 01-24-2005 08:08 PM

To be honest, I didn't get a chance to see all of the games, but I do remember the Manning INT...There's no doubt that Peek is a playmaker...

I do remember him starting a preseason game and getting beat in coverage a few times though...

F-minus67 01-24-2005 10:07 PM

I think we should get Merriman, so him and Peek can fight it out in camp. Cause right now no one is even pushing Wong it seems. And it seems Wong would be a bad***** middle linebacker.

AndreJ 01-24-2005 10:29 PM

The thing I hate about having all these great LB's with potential is that I wouldn't have any idea of who to start!?! And I don't think that many of these guys would be willing to sit on the bench and work with a 3 or 4 man rotation, which would be the only way I see all of this working out.

I could very well be wrong about them willing to play in a 3 or 4 man rotation, but I think that would probably be the best way to go. It would keep our front 7 fresh and I don't think teams would be able to wear us down with the run game.

The fact that we would have a lot of good LB's that could play in multiple positions reminds me of the Patriots and I can only fantisize about what that could lead to.

Cincinnatikid 01-25-2005 07:49 AM

I agree with you but they had that chance to rotate and keep them fresh this season and didnt. Peek would either play most of the game, which he did 2 times, or he would play 5 plays a game. I dont think its the players not willing to rotate but the coaches not doing it. The thing is, if you and your team are going to act like a player is special and has talent, then you have to show the player that you really do believe in them. NFL players are just like any other 22 year old coming into the work force, they want to be noticed and it takes a little babying to get them on their feet. Unfortunately since they are all huge guys the coaches forget that and dont really care. Im not saying they need to hodl them and carry them around, but they need to boost their confidence in each player somehow and the texans do not seem to do that very well. This is exemplified by Peek not getting chances time after time when he plays great, and how many times have we heard Capers say that Hollings and Wells would be getting more carries because of Wells' production and Hollings being healthy. Players would be willing to do a lot if these coaches would live up to their word, and if they did some of the things they said, then this team would be much further ahead than where they are now.

Wild Bill 01-27-2005 01:27 PM

I agree with you. Peek is an outstanding talent that is still learning the system and developing. The only area that Peek is weak in right now is stopping the run. He has trouble getting off blocks at the point of attack, but he will get much better this coming up season. He also needs to learn to control his emotions on the field.

He reaks havik for tackles who try to block him around the corners because he's so fast. This guy is the real deal and Houston needs to make every effort to lock him up.

On defense, Houston has two major areas that need improvement and I'm not going to speculate what or who they will try to draft or sign to help:

1. They need a big, strong, quick nose tackle like the Casey Hampton/Sam Adams/Tony Saragusa/Gilbert Brown's of the NFL. These type guys hold the point of attack, break down the pocket, and clog up running lanes

2. Strong Safety. I've seen other postings where people for some reason get this position confused with Free Safety (Marcus Robertson). A good Strong Safety is essential for helping to stop the run and getting to the quarterback. The help in pass coverage but in zone coverage, not man to man (Look at what happens to Roy Williams with Dallas). He great at the line of scrimmage and hawking down the ball, but you can't expect him to be covering WR's man on man.

But more important than focusing on our defense, we need offensive line help, and primarily at Left Tackle. Great Left Tackles are hard to find and only come along every few years in the draft. Free agency is the best avenue to get one but teams usually franchise them to keep them (ie. Walter Jones, Orlando Pace).

If we are to get over the hump to start being a real contender in our division, we have to protect David Carr. Every team starts and ends on the line.

nunusguy 01-27-2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Bill
The only area that Peek is weak in right now is stopping the run.

Right, but that's not a trivial item on the priority list of LB skills. Sorta like saying one of your starting offensive lineman is good @ pass blocking, but
can't contribute much on rushing plays. Unlike Babin & Wong who are well versed in both areas, Peek will never be a solid, full time LB in the NFL until
he is not a liability to the team when playing the run.

infantrycak 01-27-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Bill
2. Strong Safety. I've seen other postings where people for some reason get this position confused with Free Safety (Marcus Robertson).

That would be Marcus Coleman at FS. What about Glenn Earl did you see in his play in the 2nd half of the season makes you think he is not going to be fine at SS?

Wild Bill 01-27-2005 04:26 PM

Marcus Coleman, I stand corrected. Too many thoughts running through my head at one time. Glenn Earl is a decent player and is adequate for now. I don't think we need to address our defense with our first pick.

And I agree that Peek is right "NOW" not producing enough in stopping the run to be a full time starter as I eluded to above. I think he has the potential to be and will be a very good player at his position but that isn't an area of concern this year.

Nose Tackle and Offensive Line

Cincinnatikid 01-28-2005 07:20 AM

Why is all this bad at stopping the run still going on here? He may have had some hiccups in preseason, but can you point out one play in regular season where he made bad plays on the run? I know I cant really think of any and I follow him every play he is in. In Indy, which i was at the game, he kept contain on the left side for multiple seconds and nailed the Edge as he cut back right into him. He has gotten over his old trend of over pursuing. I get tired of people continually saying these things when there is no proof or specifics to back it up. Generalizations are not real answers and neither is repeating things that you see other people write or say when there is nothing to back it up.