Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Yahoo's 2 round mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58531)

The Pencil Neck 02-05-2009 04:28 PM

Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
The Link
15. Houston Texans: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
Maybin might be best suited to play as a 3-4 OLB at this stage because of his lack of girth. However, the possibility of having Maybin’s pass-rush ability opposite DE Mario Williams is too much for the Texans to pass up and will enhance their third-down defense.

47. Houston Texans: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
The Texans need to find a complement to wideout Andre Johnson, and Britt has the size and playmaking skills to be that guy.

bah007 02-05-2009 04:43 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Britt is a great player. I doubt he makes it to #47, but even if he did we have bigger things to worry about than replacing Kevin Walter (900 yds, 8 TDs last year).

HOU-TEX 02-05-2009 04:52 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1113317)
Britt is a great player. I doubt he makes it to #47, but even if he did we have bigger things to worry about than replacing Kevin Walter (900 yds, 8 TDs last year).

Agreed. Any mock that I come across that has us picking a WR on the first day I'll mentally discard it. It just shows they didn't take the time to do the research.

twelvegage 02-05-2009 05:11 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 1113327)
Agreed. Any mock that I come across that has us picking a WR on the first day I'll mentally discard it. It just shows they didn't take the time to do the research.

agreed. or RB in the first round.

mussop 02-05-2009 06:43 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
I dont know guys. I could see us drafting Maclin in the 1st. Dont want it but could see it happening. Remember there were reports that Ted Gin Jr was our guy but the Dolphins beat us to him the year we drafted Okoye. In 2002 Denver drafted Ashley Lelie (a speedy WR similar to Maclin) while they already had Pro bowler Rod Smith and a solid #2 WR in Ed McCaffrey. This is while Kubiack and Smith were there. So dont be so quick to mock the mocks that dont follow YOURE guidlines. What we want as fans isnt necesarilly what Smithiack wants.


That was also the year they drafted Portis in the 2nd round. Get this, their O was ranked #3 that year to.

b0ng 02-05-2009 06:59 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1113379)
I dont know guys. I could see us drafting Maclin in the 1st. Dont want it but could see it happening. Remember there were reports that Ted Gin Jr was our guy but the Dolphins beat us to him the year we drafted Okoye. In 2002 Denver drafted Ashley Lelie (a speedy WR similar to Maclin) while they already had Pro bowler Rod Smith and a solid #2 WR in Ed McCaffrey. This is while Kubiack and Smith were there. So dont be so quick to mock the mocks that dont follow YOURE guidlines. What we want as fans isnt necesarilly what Smithiack wants.


That was also the year they drafted Portis in the 2nd round. Get this, their O was ranked #3 that year to.

All stories, articles, quotes, and other sorts of things coming down from the guys at Reliant are saying that we are looking over defense for this draft. I'm not buying any draft mocks that have us taking an RB or a WR in the first because that's where the author thinks they should go.

Ole Miss Texan 02-05-2009 07:04 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1113379)
I dont know guys. I could see us drafting Maclin in the 1st. Dont want it but could see it happening. Remember there were reports that Ted Gin Jr was our guy but the Dolphins beat us to him the year we drafted Okoye. In 2002 Denver drafted Ashley Lelie (a speedy WR similar to Maclin) while they already had Pro bowler Rod Smith and a solid #2 WR in Ed McCaffrey. This is while Kubiack and Smith were there. So dont be so quick to mock the mocks that dont follow YOURE guidlines. What we want as fans isnt necesarilly what Smithiack wants.

That was also the year they drafted Portis in the 2nd round. Get this, their O was ranked #3 that year to.

I completely agree mussop. WR is the strength of this team but I could see us taking Maclin. After reading more about him, I think he would be incredible on our team, well any team. We all know we NEED defensive help and we all want that to be the pick, but Maclin sounds amazing to me. Andre, Walter and Maclin. Maclin could double as our PR and we'd most likely dump Jacoby or maybe Davis.

I actually think Oakland is going to take him with the #7 overall pick, though.

Ole Miss Texan 02-05-2009 07:07 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
I'd like to add though that I am fully on board for a defensive infusion of talent. DE,NT,SLB,S A lot will depend on who we get in free agency.

But in all honesty guys, I think it would be way too naiive of us to say anything too definite right now about the draft. It's only the beginning of February and we're bound for some surprises.

IT'S THE NFL DRAFT BABY!

rickyb 02-05-2009 08:09 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 1113302)
The Link
15. Houston Texans: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
Maybin might be best suited to play as a 3-4 OLB at this stage because of his lack of girth. However, the possibility of having Maybin’s pass-rush ability opposite DE Mario Williams is too much for the Texans to pass up and will enhance their third-down defense.

47. Houston Texans: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
The Texans need to find a complement to wideout Andre Johnson, and Britt has the size and playmaking skills to be that guy.

A wide receiver. How cute. Look, they tried. :)

:spit:

LonerATO 02-05-2009 08:17 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
WR would be a 6-7 rd pick if we want to just throw away a late rd pick. I could see this this team going after a WR in the following draft as a successor/opposite to AJ.

mussop 02-05-2009 08:49 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1113390)
I completely agree mussop. WR is the strength of this team but I could see us taking Maclin. After reading more about him, I think he would be incredible on our team, well any team. We all know we NEED defensive help and we all want that to be the pick, but Maclin sounds amazing to me. Andre, Walter and Maclin. Maclin could double as our PR and we'd most likely dump Jacoby or maybe Davis.

I actually think Oakland is going to take him with the #7 overall pick, though.

Thats where I have Maclin going also. If he should fall though watch out. He is an impact player where as most likely all the impact D players could be gone by 15. Personally I would want a trade down in that situation. Who most likely to be available at 15 is any better than who will be available at 25 or even 30? Dont see many teams wanting to trade up and pay more for equal talent. Like I said before the talent from 15 to 55 is not that far apart.

otisbean 02-06-2009 08:07 AM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Maclin is an absolute beast. Wouldn't mind it a bit if he was the BPA. I hope a top notch defender at a position of need is available, but I think Maclin would be an excellent consolation prize. Plus, who knows, we may actually fill some needs through FA.

BigBull17 02-06-2009 09:22 AM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
We also need to replace Jacoby Jones, who I see no chance to make this team. But to take him in the 1st or 2nd? Wow. look at 5-7th round WR to be our speedy slot guy/kick returner.

The1ApplePie 02-06-2009 05:00 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1113390)
I completely agree mussop. WR is the strength of this team but I could see us taking Maclin. After reading more about him, I think he would be incredible on our team, well any team. We all know we NEED defensive help and we all want that to be the pick, but Maclin sounds amazing to me. Andre, Walter and Maclin. Maclin could double as our PR and we'd most likely dump Jacoby or maybe Davis.

I actually think Oakland is going to take him with the #7 overall pick, though.

Maclin would be great and if Rey Rey, Orakpo, and Raji are off the board, I don't see why we don't take him.

Kevin Walter gets yards but don't ever mistake him for a playmaker. With Slaton, AJ, and Daniels to worry about, Walter rarely gets attention for the defense.

LonerATO 02-06-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 1114044)
Maclin would be great and if Rey Rey, Orakpo, and Raji are off the board, I don't see why we don't take him.

Kevin Walter gets yards but don't ever mistake him for a playmaker. With Slaton, AJ, and Daniels to worry about, Walter rarely gets attention for the defense.

I agree about Walters as he benefits from AJ on the other side and I also feel with him being white he is overlooked by opposing teams D.

TimeKiller 02-06-2009 05:06 PM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerATO (Post 1114047)
I agree about Walters as he benefits from AJ on the other side and I also feel with him being white he is overlooked by opposing teams D.

uhh....

It could be that he is just not an exceptionally quick reciever...

mussop 02-07-2009 03:48 AM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0ng (Post 1113387)
All stories, articles, quotes, and other sorts of things coming down from the guys at Reliant are saying that we are looking over defense for this draft. I'm not buying any draft mocks that have us taking an RB or a WR in the first because that's where the author thinks they should go.


Well how about a report from LZ.



After my last entry regarding Michael Crabtree, the topic of whether or not the Texans should consider drafting a WR in the first round was raised in the comments section.

To answer this question for the Texans or any team, you have to first assess the group of wide receivers in terms of talent and their contract status:

• Andre Johnson is a stud and is locked up as your #1 WR.

• Kevin Walter is a very capable #2 who is also active in the Texans run blocking for the zone scheme. He has one year left on his deal, but the Texans will probably extend him.

• David Anderson showed he was a decent slot WR, but he lacks vertical speed and is on the small side. He is not a lock to be a #3 WR in the league, but will do what you ask of him. He might be a better #4 WR who gets on the field in certain packages.

• Andre' Davis was a disappointment this year, but readers know that I was not a big fan of what the Texans paid for him. Davis had 13 catches and was not a game-breaker as a kick returner like he was in 2007. He could be replaced, but with a mid-round draft pick. Davis' signing bonus makes it more expensive to cut him than to keep him at this point.

• Jacoby Jones showed game-changing ability in the punt return game, but was not a factor as a WR. He's getting paid too much to just be a punt returner.

In conclusion: Are the Texans in desperate need of a #1 WR? No. Are they in desperate need of a #2 WR? No. Could the Texans use another quality WR with speed who can also return punts or kicks? Yes. The player who fits into this mold is Jeremy Maclin from Missouri. While I'm not saying he will be a priority, he is the type of WR the Texans could take a look at as a surprise first-round pick thanks to his abilities in the return game.



Like I said, dont be to quick to judge just yet. :tiphat:

beerlover 02-07-2009 08:52 AM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
start looking around the 3rd possibly, depending if Rick can trade down & aquire extra picks. LZ seems to believe Texans would only pull trigger for a two-way WR/Return specialist. I'm not convinced that if the right slot/#2 type pure route running, blocking WR was available later Kubiak wouldn't take a shot. I really like Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma. he reminds me alot of Anthony Gonzalez, even though they already had Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison the Colts selected him in the 1st rd. :cool:

gwallaia 02-07-2009 09:29 AM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOU-TEX (Post 1113327)
Agreed. Any mock that I come across that has us picking a WR on the first day I'll mentally discard it. It just shows they didn't take the time to do the research.

I mentally discard All mock drafts. None of them are ever even remotely close to what actually happens.

Ole Miss Texan 02-07-2009 10:42 AM

Re: Yahoo's 2 round mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The1ApplePie (Post 1114044)
Maclin would be great and if Rey Rey, Orakpo, and Raji are off the board, I don't see why we don't take him.

Kevin Walter gets yards but don't ever mistake him for a playmaker. With Slaton, AJ, and Daniels to worry about, Walter rarely gets attention for the defense.

I could easily see Raji going to any number of teams in the top 10. If he's gone I think the Broncos are a lock to take Rey Rey (if available). Orakpo I see as the best possibility of those three slipping to us.
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 1114222)
start looking around the 3rd possibly, depending if Rick can trade down & aquire extra picks. LZ seems to believe Texans would only pull trigger for a two-way WR/Return specialist. I'm not convinced that if the right slot/#2 type pure route running, blocking WR was available later Kubiak wouldn't take a shot. I really like Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma. he reminds me alot of Anthony Gonzalez, even though they already had Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison the Colts selected him in the 1st rd. :cool:

I really like Iglesias as well. I havn't watched him too much with the thought of the Texans, but I've always liked his play while at OU.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallaia (Post 1114229)
I mentally discard All mock drafts. None of them are ever even remotely close to what actually happens.

Very good point :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger