Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dan Cody (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5853)

hou059 01-12-2005 10:16 AM

Dan Cody

I have seen two mock draft's this morning having the Texans draft Dan Cody with the 13th pick. What gives...did this guy do something between now and the BCS Championship game to boost his stock. From what I know he is a big kid with a huge motor but is a little light too play line in the 3-4. NFLdraftshowcase.com has him listed at 6-5 260lbs. What gives yall?

El Tejano 01-12-2005 10:25 AM

I think that has to strictly do with the fact none of the other teams ahead of us need him. I wouldn't be to mad with that pick though because I am sure that guy will grow even more once he gets here.

hou059 01-12-2005 10:42 AM

But to play DE in a 3-4...we're talking big...295lbs+ and to ask someone to put on that much weight is insane...I don't like the idea. i feel that we could do better than Dan Cody at the 13th pick. Maybe trade down and select, that makes more sense but I don't the like the Texans taking him in the first round period.

astrofan 01-12-2005 11:48 AM

I think that he would play ROLB for the Texans not end

hou059 01-12-2005 11:52 AM

that's what I was thinking but would you pick him up at #13 to play OLB? I mean that would be a mistake imo.

aj. 01-12-2005 12:59 PM

Do you mean Shaun Cody (USC)?? Everything I've seen has Shaun going in the top half of the first round - or at least top 20. Dan Cody (OU) is a lower 1st rounder or maybe even high second depending on how everything goes. Both play DE. Shaun also played DT in college - he's 285-290 lbs. Dan Cody is about 265.

hou059 01-12-2005 01:33 PM

Noooooo AJ it was Dan Cody going to the Texans on two Mock Drafts I read this morning. Yeah Shaun Cody (USC) makes more sense but Dan Cody(OU) just wouldn't fit in our 3-4 scheme...maybe as a OLB but we great talent there already. Maybe the site made a typo and meant Shaun Cody, I dunno but no way we take Dan Cody!

aj. 01-12-2005 01:34 PM

Well for what it's worth then, I think 13 is waaayyyyy too high for Dan.

ArlingtonTexan 01-12-2005 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.

honestly, it is probably too high for Shaun Cody also.

Blake 01-12-2005 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj.

Exactly. There is no way on gods green earth, that he is selected here. He is a fine player, but he is not worth a #13. Plus he is not the right size for a DE 3-4. And we dont need another converted DE for OLB.

We NEED, a DT, OT, CB, WR.

hou059 01-12-2005 01:41 PM

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. 13 is way to high for either. Just wanted to run that by yall and see what yall thought. Maybe Dan was higher on the Texans list than I thought. Maybe yall knew something I didn't.

beerlover 01-12-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hou059
I have seen two mock draft's this morning having the Texans draft Dan Cody with the 13th pick. What gives...did this guy do something between now and the BCS Championship game to boost his stock. From what I know he is a big kid with a huge motor but is a little light too play line in the 3-4. NFLdraftshowcase.com has him listed at 6-5 260lbs. What gives yall?

curious what two recent mocks are you refeering to :hmmm:

Vinny 01-12-2005 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
And we dont need another converted DE for OLB.

Get ready to draft one just about every year. I checked the Pittsburgh draft history and in virtually every year they pick a DE to convert in one round or another. All of our outside linebackers are going to be converted DE's in our scheme.

astrofan 01-12-2005 01:51 PM

draftking for one

hou059 01-12-2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover
curious what two recent mocks are you refeering to :hmmm:

http://www.draftseason.com/mockdraft.htm
here is one link

astrofan 01-12-2005 01:58 PM

I like the mock from draftshowcase
be warned that is a week old, but they have a pretty good website

aj. 01-12-2005 05:56 PM

I think they will continue to look for guys in the Peek, Anderson, Raheem Orr mold in the mid rounds. They probably won't draft conversion projects as high as Babin every year.

ArlingtonTexan 01-12-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny
Get ready to draft one just about every year. I checked the Pittsburgh draft history and in virtually every year they pick a DE to convert in one round or another. All of our outside linebackers are going to be converted DE's in our scheme.

The Steelers also tend to draft at one OLman and one DLman every year. Not counting compensatory picks and any trades that means they commit 3 out 7 picks to their core philosophy of a 3-4 defense and power running game. if needs influence picks this year, (remember Casserly claims BPA) then OL and DL will be drafted this year by the Texans.

Note on the converted DEs normally even if they never pan out as OLB they often are very good special teams players so the picks are not wasted.

Also, for all of those who are contending that we have resolved the OLB situation, we have plenty of bodies but none have proven they are NFL level pass rushers, and have zero issue with Texans addressing this position at any point in the draft until there is guy who get at 8-10 sacks playing that spot.

Blake 01-12-2005 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny

You are right. But more specifically I meant not in the first round. I dont mind getting one in round 3-4 or somewhere around there.

HJam72 01-12-2005 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Also, for all of those who are contending that we have resolved the OLB situation, we have plenty of bodies but none have proven they are NFL level pass rushers, and have zero issue with Texans addressing this position at any point in the draft until there is guy who get at 8-10 sacks playing that spot.

I think Peek has proven to be an NFL caliber pass rusher. I know he's young and probably lacks in other areas, but I just wanted to point that out.