Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Size does matter! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5849)

Mistril48 01-11-2005 07:48 PM

Size does matter!

Size does matter!

In this case, I mean the size of the NFL draft … and in this case, the Houston Texans are the only AFC team with 4 first day picks (‘Terrific 12’ guys). In fact, assuming there aren’t any trades (unlikely), they will have been able to select 4 players by pick 79! (approximately - I’m not solid on our selection slots in round 3). Most (10 out of 16) AFC teams (below) will only have picked 1 or 2 players at that point of the draft:

- Dolphins, Bengals, Bills, Jags, Ravens, Broncos, Jets, Patriots, Colts, Steelers

Many of these teams will likely be the next year’s AFC Playoff teams.

Quantity & Quality

In the 2004 draft, some teams (Cowboys, Colts & Titans) gave up their 1st round picks in order to accumulate additional picks (the Cowboys only had 5 picks at the start of the 2004 draft, as I recall). The Texans not only have the best first day quantity in the AFC, they also have the 13th overall pick. IMO, they are well positioned to move around, or make a power play (trading picks to move up) in the 2005 draft. This could be an exciting draft for Texan fans.

BuffSoldier 01-11-2005 08:04 PM

You also have to consider the fact that this years draft is not near to as deep as last years, and we had 4 picks last year as well and ended up with 2 1st rounders, you never know.

YoungTexanFan 01-11-2005 09:41 PM

i really dont think Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon will last to the second round if he declares. i think the texans might try something like last year and trade back into the first round for him. first round should not be used on a rb or safty or cb. first round should strictly be for trenchs this year, unless someone of great value falls to us. ie: johnson or rolle. other than that it should be used for both lines, bpa. barron might slip to us.
i am not very big on wright from UT.
two senarios for mock draft i have for first few rounds:
1st- Alex Barron if available
1st-Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
3rd- pure raw athlete, natural skills but not developed fully
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
trade down for this version
1st-marcus spears
2nd- Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon...if available...if even in draft
2nd- chris borwn
3rd- antionio perkins
3rd- see above reference to natural athelete player

also i dont know if they're are any kickers with any potential, but brown seemed to slip off this year, quite badly. i hope he gets it back, but i would like someone to replace him w/a stronger leg.

Grid 01-12-2005 01:35 AM

I dont see Antonio Perkins being available in the 3rd.. and I dont see Ngata even declaring for this years draft.

hou059 01-12-2005 08:10 AM

Who is Chris Brown? and what about picking up Jason Brown somewhere on Day 1? This kid has such an upside. If Ngata does declare I would like to see the Texans trade down and pick him up with a late first round pick, that's assuming his knees check out okay.

Grid 01-12-2005 11:47 AM

there is a kicker named Mike Nugent

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/pla...ikenugent.html

Number19 01-12-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
You also have to consider the fact that this years draft is not near to as deep as last years, and we had 4 picks last year as well and ended up with 2 1st rounders, you never know.

We have to wait until Monday to see what underclassmen come out, but something to consider is that this years draft is shaping up as a weak draft. Whereas next year is already shaping up to be a strong draft.