Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   My pre combine mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58210)

mussop 01-26-2009 12:56 PM

My pre combine mock
 
1. Detroit -Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Surest player at need pos
2. St. Louis - Eugene Monroe, LT, :Replacement for Pace
3. Kansas City - Matthew Stafford, QB,
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry, OLB,
5. Cleveland - Malcolm Jenkins, CB,
6. Cincinnati - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri : Davis loves speed
8. Jacksonville - James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State :Rio clone
9. Green Bay - Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC :3/4 switch makes him pick
10. San Francisco - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC :Must have a QB
11. Buffalo - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
12. Denver - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt :Combine prves he #1 RB
13. Washington - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
14. New Orleans - Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
15. Houston - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College : If there is a football god!
16. San Diego (8-8) - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
17. New York Jets (9-7) - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas : Ryan type player
18. Chicago (9-7) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
19. Tampa Bay - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
20. Detroit - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
21. Philadelphia - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
22. Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina : Pressure of Peterson
23. New England - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
24. Atlanta - Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
25. Miami - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
26. Baltimore - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
27. Indianapolis - D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
28. Philadelphia - Phil Loadholt OT, Oklahoma :Runyans replacement
29. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland :Bye Burress
30. Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE, Georgia Tech :The freak #2
31. Arizona - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

Well there it is, so let me have it.

beerlover 01-26-2009 01:12 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1106432)
1. Detroit -Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Surest player at need pos
2. St. Louis - Eugene Monroe, LT, :Replacement for Pace
3. Kansas City - Matthew Stafford, QB,
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry, OLB,
5. Cleveland - Malcolm Jenkins, CB,
6. Cincinnati - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri : Davis loves speed
8. Jacksonville - James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State :Rio clone
9. Green Bay - Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC :3/4 switch makes him pick
10. San Francisco - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC :Must have a QB
11. Buffalo - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
12. Denver - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt :Combine prves he #1 RB
13. Washington - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
14. New Orleans - Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
15. Houston - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College : If there is a football god!
16. San Diego (8-8) - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
17. New York Jets (9-7) - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas : Ryan type player
18. Chicago (9-7) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
19. Tampa Bay - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
20. Detroit - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
21. Philadelphia - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
22. Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina : Pressure of Peterson
23. New England - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
24. Atlanta - Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
25. Miami - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
26. Baltimore - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
27. Indianapolis - D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
28. Philadelphia - Phil Loadholt OT, Oklahoma :Runyans replacement
29. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland :Bye Burress
30. Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE, Georgia Tech :The freak #2
31. Arizona - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

Well there it is, so let me have it.

I like it! now can you Mock IT :specnatz:

bah007 01-26-2009 03:21 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
If Orakpo falls to us we better grab him or find a partner to swap with. Somebody will want him at 15.

threetoedpete 01-26-2009 03:37 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
1. Detroit - Eugene Monroe, LT,
2. St. Louis - Aaron Curry, OLB,
3. Kansas City - Matthew Stafford, QB,
4. Seattle - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
5. Cleveland - Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
6. Cincinnati - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
7. Oakland - Micheal Crabtree Texas Tech
8. Jacksonville - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
9. Green Bay - Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC :3/4 switch makes him pick
10. San Francisco - Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
11. Buffalo - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
13. Washington - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama:
14. New Orleans - Malcom Jenkins FS/CB OSU
15. Houston - - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
16. San Diego (8-8) - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt
17. New York Jets (9-7) -Tyson Jackson LSU
18. Chicago (9-7) - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
19. Tampa Bay - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
20. Detroit - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
21. Philadelphia - Alex Mack C/G Cal
22. Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina : Pressure of Peterson
23. New England - Max Unger C/G/T Oregon
24. Atlanta - Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
25. Miami - Clay Mathews III LB USC
26. Baltimore - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
27. Indianapolis - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missour or Brian Robiskie WR OSU
28. Philadelphia - Phil Loadholt OT, Oklahoma :Runyans replacement
29. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland :Bye Burress
30. Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE, Georgia Tech
31. Arizona - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh - Eric Wood C/G/T Louisville

33. Criss Wells RB OSU
34. Elton Britton OLT Arizona




i

Texecutioner 01-26-2009 03:42 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1106563)
If Orakpo falls to us we better grab him or find a partner to swap with. Somebody will want him at 15.

Why give Orakpo to someone else. We keep him.

MeLoveTexans 01-26-2009 03:48 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1106574)
1. Detroit - Eugene Monroe, LT, :Replacement for Pace




i

Lions would have to trade for Pace before they could replace him. Last i checked, he was a Ram.

Blake 01-26-2009 03:51 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1106574)
15. Houston - - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest

i

I think he is to short and not physical enough when it comes to jamming and hitting/tackling to go #15.

The three immediate picks after us are far better value. Alphonso Smith is going to make some teams draft haul look real good when they get him in the 2nd.

threetoedpete 01-26-2009 03:53 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Best case scenario....assuming we're not in the market for Orakpo....is Buffalo taking a lb or a pass rush specialist....Atlanta covets Pettigrew....we get a bidding war started for the fifteen.

threetoedpete 01-26-2009 03:54 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1106587)
I think he is to short and not physical enough when it comes to jamming and hitting/tackling to go #15.

The three immediate picks after us are far better value. Alphonso Smith is going to make some teams draft haul look real good when they get him in the 2nd.

Just like Mr. Dunta Robinson ? Until he signs.....it's a hole. And you've seen our guys draft....what do they do ? They plug holes. And he's a play maker.

Blake 01-26-2009 04:01 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1106592)
Just like Mr. Dunta Robinson ? Until he signs.....it's a hole.

I thought you might say that. But do you really think that Alphonso Smith is like Dunta Robinson? Has Dunta ever had a problem with being physical, or coming up and laying the wood? No. He has the physical presence to be shorter than some would like. Alphonso is more of a ball hawk. Not the same at all.

Yes, it is a hole. We need to keep our eyes and ears on what happens with him becuase IMO it basically dictates what we do.

JCTexan 01-26-2009 04:12 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1106432)
1. Detroit -Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Surest player at need pos
2. St. Louis - Eugene Monroe, LT, :Replacement for Pace
3. Kansas City - Matthew Stafford, QB,
4. Seattle - Aaron Curry, OLB,
5. Cleveland - Malcolm Jenkins, CB,
6. Cincinnati - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
7. Oakland - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri : Davis loves speed
8. Jacksonville - James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State :Rio clone
9. Green Bay - Ray Maualuga, ILB, USC :3/4 switch makes him pick
10. San Francisco - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC :Must have a QB
11. Buffalo - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
12. Denver - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt :Combine prves he #1 RB
13. Washington - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
14. New Orleans - Everette Brown, DE/OLB, Florida State
15. Houston - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College : If there is a football god!
16. San Diego (8-8) - Brian Cushing, LB, USC
17. New York Jets (9-7) - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas : Ryan type player
18. Chicago (9-7) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
19. Tampa Bay - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
20. Detroit - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
21. Philadelphia - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
22. Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina : Pressure of Peterson
23. New England - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
24. Atlanta - Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
25. Miami - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
26. Baltimore - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
27. Indianapolis - D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
28. Philadelphia - Phil Loadholt OT, Oklahoma :Runyans replacement
29. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland :Bye Burress
30. Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE, Georgia Tech :The freak #2
31. Arizona - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
32. Pittsburgh - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

Well there it is, so let me have it.

I don't see Crabtree falling to 13. I don't think he's going to get pass Seattle, but if the Seahawks take Curry I don't see MC getting past teams like Cincinnati, Jacksonville or Oakland taking Maclin ahead of him. Other then that it's a fine mock. Good job.

threetoedpete 01-26-2009 04:13 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeLoveTexans (Post 1106585)
Lions would have to trade for Pace before they could replace him. Last i checked, he was a Ram.

He'd missed a lot of games the last two seasons. Looks like Monroe is the cleanest of the bunch.

Gotcha...brain fart.

mussop 01-26-2009 04:35 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTexan (Post 1106604)
I don't see Crabtree falling to 13. I don't think he's going to get pass Seattle, but if the Seahawks take Curry I don't see MC getting past teams like Cincinnati, Jacksonville or Oakland taking Maclin ahead of him. Other then that it's a fine mock. Good job.


I dont think Crabtree will run as fast as some think. That and hte fact that the teams in the top ten all have needs more important than WR made me drop him. Oakland is still run by Al Davis and we all know how much he likes speed. Thats why Macklin is the first WR of the board not because I think he is the better than Crabtree. Al Davis is not the best or the smartest GM/owner out there.

Goatcheese 01-26-2009 05:29 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 1106600)
I thought you might say that. But do you really think that Alphonso Smith is like Dunta Robinson? Has Dunta ever had a problem with being physical, or coming up and laying the wood? No. He has the physical presence to be shorter than some would like. Alphonso is more of a ball hawk. Not the same at all.

Yes, it is a hole. We need to keep our eyes and ears on what happens with him becuase IMO it basically dictates what we do.

D-Rob is just a hair under 5'11", and not the best comparison for Smith.

Former Texans corner Aaron Glenn, and Eagles corner Asante Samuel are though.

mussop 01-28-2009 06:32 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Finished the rest. Finally.


1st) Raji, DT, Boston College
2nd) Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
3rd) Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama
4th) Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
5th) Gatrell Johnson, RB, Colorodo State
6th) Pat white QB/WR, West Virginia OR Jarrett Dillard, WR, Rice
7th) Ryan Stanchek, G, West Virginia

I would love to be able to get an offensive weapon late in this draft and I believe White and Dillard may be available.

I believe Dillard would be great to have in the slot. He has great hands, runs great routes and has an unbelievable verticle. Think David Anderson sqaured.

If White were to fall because of his refusal to accept a position change, I would love to see us take him. Imagine us running a Wildcat offense in special situations with him at QB.

Sal Rosenberg 01-28-2009 06:33 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Peria Jerry


I think his stock will rise BIG TIME!Mark My Words.:aggressive:

TimeKiller 01-28-2009 06:49 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1108061)
Finished the rest. Finally.


1st) Raji, DT, Boston College
2nd) Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
3rd) Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama
4th) Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
5th) Gatrell Johnson, RB, Colorodo State
6th) Pat white QB/WR, West Virginia OR Jarrett Dillard, WR, Rice
7th) Ryan Stanchek, G, West Virginia
.

I like this draft! I haven't yet heard of Stanchek or Mckenzie but I'm gonna look 'em up just because I like the other 5 picks so much

Findings: Stanchek sounded good but much like what we have. A guy who is 6'4'' 300ish who is fast, good on the 2nd level but gets pushed back by bigger DTs. But we've done much worse with a 7th round pick

McKenzie was graded as a 3rd round pick looking to make into day 1 with a good combine, the 4th might be a little late on him. I might look at a different LB or another DE there...

BigBull17 01-28-2009 07:00 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1108061)
Finished the rest. Finally.


1st) Raji, DT, Boston College
2nd) Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
3rd) Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama
4th) Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
5th) Gatrell Johnson, RB, Colorodo State
6th) Pat white QB/WR, West Virginia OR Jarrett Dillard, WR, Rice
7th) Ryan Stanchek, G, West Virginia

I would love to be able to get an offensive weapon late in this draft and I believe White and Dillard may be available.

I believe Dillard would be great to have in the slot. He has great hands, runs great routes and has an unbelievable verticle. Think David Anderson sqaured.

If White were to fall because of his refusal to accept a position change, I would love to see us take him. Imagine us running a Wildcat offense in special situations with him at QB.

I like it all, except I wouldn't hold my breath on Raji. He'll go before we pick, and we wont go after a wide body.

mussop 01-28-2009 07:21 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1108076)
I like this draft! I haven't yet heard of Stanchek or Mckenzie but I'm gonna look 'em up just because I like the other 5 picks so much

Findings: Stanchek sounded good but much like what we have. A guy who is 6'4'' 300ish who is fast, good on the 2nd level but gets pushed back by bigger DTs. But we've done much worse with a 7th round pick

McKenzie was graded as a 3rd round pick looking to make into day 1 with a good combine, the 4th might be a little late on him. I might look at a different LB or another DE there...

McKenzie played at south Florida. Every game I watched (scouting Selvie) McKenzie stood out. He makes plays all over the field. One of those players that just has a knack fo being around the ball. He is quick and hes smart. In the scouting reports I have read his tackling is undervalued. He had plenty of big hits from what I have seen. Reminds me alot of Adibi. I believe he will still be available 4th because he is a little undersized @ 235.

Stancheck stood out to me the last 2 years while watching West Virginia. He is perfect fit for our team. He has been trained in the ZB system and should be available in the later rounds because of this. I dont think we are going to get our wish of getting OL guys that are stout at the POA. If you want a guy that can be moble/athletic and has the strength to not get pushed back you are going to have to get those guys in the early rounds.

Anyway thanks for the response!

YoungTexanFan 01-28-2009 10:57 PM

Re: My pre combine mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal Rosenberg (Post 1108063)
Peria Jerry


I think his stock will rise BIG TIME!Mark My Words.:aggressive:

We don't need him. I don't think his stock will rise a lot, and I don't think he is much of a player. I just don't like this DT class. I wouldn't pay for one if I was McNair. We have guys on our team that Jerry doesn't upgrade at all.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger