Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57831)

DiehardChris 01-14-2009 01:28 PM

I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
I'm going to try and update it as much as possible - but if you want to check it out, it's here:

2009 Texans Mock Draft Tracker

I basically went to Walter Football and some other sites where they collect mocks, and just entered all the different mock's pick for the Texans in one table.

Blake 01-14-2009 01:39 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Rep.

PapaL 01-14-2009 01:43 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Seems like everyone on the planets thinks we'll go Defense (except Sideline Scouting).

Remember a couple years back when everyone knew we'd go Offense?

It's going to be interesting...


Great info! Thanks.

DiehardChris 01-14-2009 01:47 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaL (Post 1098270)
Seems like everyone on the planets thinks we'll go Defense (except Sideline Scouting).

Remember a couple years back when everyone knew we'd go Offense?

It's going to be interesting...


Great info! Thanks.

LOL - indeed. I actually found one mock that had us taking Sam Bradford. I didn't bother to include it. Heh.

Texecutioner 01-14-2009 01:53 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Why do all of them have us taking William Moore. No way would the Texans take him at 15. God I hope not. Some in here may want Moore, but I'm not that high on the guy at all and NO WAY at 15. Maybe if we were to trade down, but Mays was the only S I wanted in the first round.

I think we should go with Aaron Maabin or a top LB.

DiehardChris 01-14-2009 02:02 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 1098278)
Why do all of them have us taking William Moore. No way would the Texans take him at 15. God I hope not. Some in here may want Moore, but I'm not that high on the guy at all and NO WAY at 15. Maybe if we were to trade down, but Mays was the only S I wanted in the first round.

I agree - I think Moore is a reach at 15. Mays is the only safety I think was worth a first-round pick by the Texans - unless we trade WAY back, but even then... I'm not at all a fan of Moore.

Texecutioner 01-14-2009 02:08 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardChris (Post 1098282)
I agree - I think Moore is a reach at 15. Mays is the only safety I think was worth a first-round pick by the Texans - unless we trade WAY back, but even then... I'm not at all a fan of Moore.

Well we're on the same page as far as that is concerned.

Like I've said for the last two weeks or so, realistically I think the best player available as far as OUR NEEDS go on defense will be a LB like Muleauga, Curry, or Spikes, but Spikes didn't overly impress me in the National Championship game. I've got a buddy that swears Spikes is the real deal though, so he has me a bit intrigued.

Since we need a DE so bad, I like Maabin because he was really really productive even as a Junior so he might have even been better as a Senior. Orakpo should be gone, and I think our only real hope at DE in the first would be Maabin, but I'm betting he'll be gone as well. So that will most likely leave us with one of those LB's I mentioned in which I would happy with. I love Aaron Curry. God, him and Demeco would be great together.

bah007 01-14-2009 02:32 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Maybin looks like a 3-4 rush LB to me.

I think he could play weak DE in a 4-3, but he weighs 235-240 right now. I'm not comfortable with that. If we drafted him to play DE, he would definitely need to add some muscle.

Texecutioner 01-14-2009 02:36 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1098297)
Maybin looks like a 3-4 rush LB to me.

I think he could play weak DE in a 4-3, but he weighs 235-240 right now. I'm not comfortable with that. If we drafted him to play DE, he would definitely need to add some muscle.

God I get so sick of worrying about what player fits well in the 4-3 or the 3-4. I wish most of these players could just be a little bit more versatile and be able to play in both.

That is one thing I loved about when I first heard Will Muschamp say when he first got to Texas. He said he didn't care what kind of player you are or think you are. He said he wanted players that could play in either system, and find ways to be successful. He said he wanted FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Not 3-4 guys or 4-3 guys. FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

Ole Miss Texan 01-14-2009 04:17 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
I'm going to barf if I see Moore at 15 for us one more time. I was on footballs future and I swear 7 of the first 8 mocks I looked at had us taking Moore. I closed the browser.

The problem I have with all these mock drafts that are out there is that they focus on team need 99% of the time. People are usually a fan of one or two teams that they know well and then just get an idea of what other teams' needs are and fill them accordingly. While mocks even the day before the draft are generally way off... there's just more to it than "the Texans never had a good Safety, they need major secondary help so Moore is the pick here." I get the rationale, it's just not how NFL teams think.

I do find them fun to look at and always support people making mock drafts. I don't look at them to be big tools as to a players draft status at all though. Even "pros" like Wright seem to be way off base in my opinion, but I guess that's why its an interesting thing. McGuire's got Brandon Spikes dropping to the 59th pick? LOL... surprised he doesn't have Curry in the 2nd round!:)

In any case, great work DiehardChris- Rep!

mussop 01-14-2009 06:57 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
I looked at the only draft that had us taking Raji first. After the 12 pick Curry, Raji and Jenkins were still all available. IMO the 3 best defensive player in this draft. If that were to happen I would have a heart attact.

thunderkyss 01-14-2009 08:33 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardChris (Post 1098252)
I'm going to try and update it as much as possible - but if you want to check it out, it's here:

2009 Texans Mock Draft Tracker

I basically went to Walter Football and some other sites where they collect mocks, and just entered all the different mock's pick for the Texans in one table.

I like what you did.... good job.

Wolf6151 01-15-2009 12:32 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texecutioner (Post 1098287)
Well we're on the same page as far as that is concerned.

Like I've said for the last two weeks or so, realistically I think the best player available as far as OUR NEEDS go on defense will be a LB like Muleauga, Curry, or Spikes, but Spikes didn't overly impress me in the National Championship game. I've got a buddy that swears Spikes is the real deal though, so he has me a bit intrigued.

Since we need a DE so bad, I like Maabin because he was really really productive even as a Junior so he might have even been better as a Senior. Orakpo should be gone, and I think our only real hope at DE in the first would be Maabin, but I'm betting he'll be gone as well. So that will most likely leave us with one of those LB's I mentioned in which I would happy with. I love Aaron Curry. God, him and Demeco would be great together.


Make that 3 of us that have no desire to see William Moore in a Texans uniform. As of now this guy is highly overrated. If Curry fell to us I think I'd pass out, I don't think it'll happen but OMG if it did. WOW. I think Spikes might be worth a 1st round pick but only if we trade down. I honestly don't expect that the Texans will take a DE on the first day of the draft, maybe later but not early. Weaver is too expensive to let go and was beggining to play better toward the end of the season. Maybe with a new DC and scheme Weaver might turn into something worth keeping. I don't think the Texans are ready to give up on him yet.

infantrycak 01-15-2009 08:38 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf6151 (Post 1098681)
Weaver is too expensive to let go and was beggining to play better toward the end of the season.

This is the first year the Texans would save cap money by letting Weaver go. Yes there would be dead money, but overall there would be a cap savings. The two positions Bush identified as needs on D were DE and S.

TimeKiller 01-15-2009 09:06 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
4 for no Moore...

Vontae Davis, Raji, E. Brown are my 3 choices right now (with my limited college football watching and even more limited scout sheet readings). Michael Crabtree would be awesome to have on Madden but...not in real life.

mussop 01-15-2009 09:23 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak (Post 1098765)
The two positions Bush identified as needs on D were DE and S.

I missed it, when did he say that?

infantrycak 01-15-2009 09:44 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mussop (Post 1098803)
I missed it, when did he say that?

He was interviewed on 610 am the day after he was promoted. He was vague about most things other than attacking, playing with violence, getting uphill but when pressed about draft picks and upgrades on D he said something close to--well we need someone to pair with Mario and a safety to upgrade the secondary.

Blake 01-15-2009 09:57 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Can you say Michael Johnson 1 and Rashad Johnson 2. Although I hate not doing BPA, the new DC is going to get his picks early.

bah007 01-15-2009 11:09 AM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeKiller (Post 1098791)
4 for no Moore...

Vontae Davis, Raji, E. Brown are my 3 choices right now (with my limited college football watching and even more limited scout sheet readings). Michael Crabtree would be awesome to have on Madden but...not in real life.

I love Vontae Davis' athleticism and his ability to play multiple positions (CB and FS).

But he was benched this season by Illinois for lack of effort. We don't need that headache.

beerlover 01-15-2009 12:07 PM

Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick
 
maybe Moore gets into the right training facility/trainer loses 12 & runs his forty in the 4.4 range? the one thing the Texans do need is a true centerfielder who has range to cover & become a playmaker in secondary.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger