Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk Archive (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Frank Bush named New Texans DC (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57798)

Texan JBZ 01-13-2009 12:58 PM

Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Hot off the presses - Frank Bush will be named new Texans DC. Good for him - NOW BLITZ!

TEXANS84 01-13-2009 12:59 PM

Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Got it:

Quote:

The Texans hired their senior defensive assistant, Frank Bush, as defensive coordinator today.

Bush's promotion wasn't a surprise. He was the leading candidate and the only one interviewed for the defensive coordinator position that became available when Richard Smith was fired after the season.

The Texans asked for permission to interview Washington assistant Jerry Gray, but the Redskins denied him the opportunity last week. Under league rules, teams can deny permission for any assistant under contract unless the interview is for a head-coaching position.

Don't be surprised if David Gibbs, who coached Kansas City's defensive backs for the last three years, is the new secondary coach. Gibbs, the son of assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs, interviewed for the job Monday. Gibbs coached Denver's defensive backs for four years. He also was defensive coordinator at Minnesota and Auburn as well as an assistant at Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas.

When Gary Kubiak was hired as head coach in 2006, Bush was his first choice to become the defensive coordinator, but Arizona wouldn't let him out of his contract. Kubiak promoted Smith, who had been hired to coach linebackers. In 2007, Ken Whisenhunt was hired to coach the Cardinals, and he allowed Bush to leave for the Texans.

Bush has been in the NFL for 24 years as a player, scout and assistant coach. He was drafted by the Oilers in 1985 to play outside linebacker. He was a starter as a rookie, and when a congenital spinal defect forced him to retire, he moved into the scouting department. Bush spent 10 years with the Oilers before moving to Denver, where he coached linebackers, defensive backs and special teams. He was assistant head coach\linebackers when the Texans hired him from Arizona.
Chronicle Article

Brando 01-13-2009 01:00 PM

link

Quote:

The Texans hired their senior defensive assistant, Frank Bush, as defensive coordinator today.

Bush's promotion wasn't a surprise. He was the leading candidate and the only one interviewed for the defensive coordinator position that became available when Richard Smith was fired after the season.

The Texans asked for permission to interview Washington assistant Jerry Gray, but the Redskins denied him the opportunity last week. Under league rules, teams can deny permission for any assistant under contract unless the interview is for a head-coaching position.

Don't be surprised if David Gibbs, who coached Kansas City's defensive backs for the last three years, is the new secondary coach. Gibbs, the son of assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs, interviewed for the job Monday. Gibbs coached Denver's defensive backs for four years. He also was defensive coordinator at Minnesota and Auburn as well as an assistant at Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas.

Errant Hothy 01-13-2009 01:02 PM

I guess this means that Gray was the only other serious canidate?

Either way, I'll give Bush some time but I'm not very excited, or depressed, by this.

swtbound07 01-13-2009 01:03 PM

I am less than awed or inspired.

Thorn 01-13-2009 01:03 PM

LOL, well I guess that's settled now.

FirstTexansFan 01-13-2009 01:05 PM

Who knows? I do remember everyone drooling when he was going to be our selection before Richard Smith, up until we were denied the right to talk to him by Arizona. Makes me question why we're all so negative about it now.

Errant Hothy 01-13-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan (Post 1097174)
Who knows? I do remember everyone drooling when he was going to be our selection before Richard Smith, up until we were denied the right to talk to him by Arizona. Makes me question why we're all so negative about it now.

I wouldn't say we're negative, just..."meh"...that's why I said neutral.

False Start 01-13-2009 01:07 PM

That caught me off guard. :shades:

Well, lets see what he can do. Maybe he will be a great DC.

Hervoyel 01-13-2009 01:07 PM

I'm kind of "Ok people, lets get behind this" about this decision. This is what Kubiak originally wanted so now he's got it. The Texans will sink or swim with the coaches that Gary wants.

I want to hear some interview material with Bush and find out what he's got to say about where he wants to take the Texans defense. It's time for him to interview with the fanbase so to speak and sell us on his hiring.

gtexan02 01-13-2009 01:08 PM

This is great, IMO.

We get a guy who we know works well with our players, has ties to Houston, works well with Kubiak, and was his original #1 choice. I'm glad we're not bringing in Williams. Gray would have been nice, but it didn't work out. Time to move on and start signing up positional coaches.

Shaft75 01-13-2009 01:08 PM

Ahhhh... The power of observation...

From the Gibbs Interview Thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaft75 (Post 1096862)
I was just watching ABC 13 news and they were showing a segment on the Shriners game in Houston. Why would I bring this up?

Well write in the middle of reading comments in this thread on my iphone, I looked up a the tv and saw some coaches watching the practice today. Good old Kubiak was in the middle with his offensive coordinator, Kyle Shanahan to his left and you guesses it... Frank Bush to his right.

Am I reading to much into it?

Texan_Bill 01-13-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaft75 (Post 1097180)

Don't go breakin' your own arm, pattin yourself on the back, now... ;)

76Texan 01-13-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaft75 (Post 1097180)

Did Kubiak tell ya' to give us a little warning? LOL!

BigWig 01-13-2009 01:15 PM

I think its a safe pick, would I like to have had a gamble pick, maybe, it just doesnt do much for me right now. Hopefully Kubes and this guy will make a 1-2 punch type of team, including Shanny jr. and have our D bcak in at leats the top 10.

bckey 01-13-2009 01:17 PM

Alot of people on here called this one. The Texans were basically going through the motions with Bush as their man all along. John McClain has some positive stuff to say about Bush in his chat for what its worth:

John McClain: I hope Frank Bush gets it. Frank will blitz like crazy and have the linemen shoot the gaps to get after the quarterback and give the defense an identity -- everybody to the ball and hit until the whistle. That's the system he was brought up under.

HOU-TEX 01-13-2009 01:17 PM

I'm good with it. I agree with Herv. It'd be nice to have a PC with Bush having him throw us a bone about his defensive philosophy. Doubtful, but who knows?

Now, on the the Dline and Secondary coaches. Who do we have out there?

:texflag:

barrett 01-13-2009 01:19 PM

I am supportive of it but it's hard to understand why we only interviewed 1 guy. The other guy we wanted we couldn't have. Was Bush that much of a sure thing or what? I would have liked to play the field a bit more. But with absolutely no idea what Bush plans to do it's hard to be negative about it.

Texans Pride 01-13-2009 01:20 PM

I don't like it.

Take the time time to interview SOMEONE else. . . ANYONE.

I'm never a big fan at jumping at the first opportunity. You should always look at all your options on the table.

bckey 01-13-2009 01:21 PM

It is still a mystery to me with Bush getting the dc gig why Jethro Franklin was axed. They were supposedly great friends unless something changed over time. See this from the video archives on the other board.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/inde...m_file_id=1560