Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   TexansSeminole's wish list mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57557)

TexansSeminole 01-04-2009 11:15 PM

TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
I'm only going to do rounds 1-4.

Round 1: DE, Everette Brown. Florida State. Junior

6-4 254. Can play weakside defensive end for us in the 4-3. Some people don't think he can play defensive end in the 4-3 in the NFL even though the guy has played nothing but defensive end in the 4-3 in college and has never played any form of linebacker. He is bigger than Mathis of the Colts with similar speed and quickness. Great moves as a pass rusher. Stats for career are 100 tackles, 46.5 TFL, 23 sacks.

Round 2: S, Michael Hamlin. Clemson. Senior

6-3 205. Haven't heard alot about this guy on this board and I really don't read alot of scouting articles, but I really, really like him. Had 102 tackles this year with 6 INTs. He has 308 tackles and 14 interceptions on his career. Everyone wants a ballhawk, and this guy is always around the ball.

Round 3: RB, James Davis, Clemson. Senior

5-11 210. Not exactly the goal line or short yardage back we need, but a good player to spell Slaton, because we also need another everydown type of back. Imagine if Slaton got hurt. His NFL stock really has been hurt by Clemson's lack of conventional offense, much like Slaton. He is also a good receiver out of the backfield, although his numbers don't show it too much because C.J. Spiller was Clemson's 3rd down back. 753 attempts 3,881 yards and 47 touchdowns on his career.

Round 4: OG, Sergio Render. Virginia Tech. Junior

6-3 307. I'm not sure if Render is more of a 3rd round guy. He may not even be a 4th round guy. As I said earlier I don't read alot of scouting stuff. I just really like the way he plays. Everytime I watch him he plays extremely well.

I realize that all these guys are from the ACC, and it is mostly because those are the games that I watch. I based this entire wish list off what I have seen this season, and in seasons prior. I based nothing from what I have read.

I'd like us to spend the rest of the draft on BPA on defense, preferably no corners.

:fans:

beerlover 01-04-2009 11:45 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
toss a coin Hardy or Everette
Hamlin could replace C.C. Brown coming off IR & FA
JD thunder to SS lightening
Render underclassman doubt he leaves early

:)

bah007 01-05-2009 05:03 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 1091337)
I'm only going to do rounds 1-4.

Round 1: DE, Everette Brown. Florida State. Junior

6-4 254. Can play weakside defensive end for us in the 4-3. Some people don't think he can play defensive end in the 4-3 in the NFL even though the guy has played nothing but defensive end in the 4-3 in college and has never played any form of linebacker. He is bigger than Mathis of the Colts with similar speed and quickness. Great moves as a pass rusher. Stats for career are 100 tackles, 46.5 TFL, 23 sacks.

Orakpo won't be here, so I agree with this one. A worthy selection.

Round 2: S, Michael Hamlin. Clemson. Senior

6-3 205. Haven't heard alot about this guy on this board and I really don't read alot of scouting articles, but I really, really like him. Had 102 tackles this year with 6 INTs. He has 308 tackles and 14 interceptions on his career. Everyone wants a ballhawk, and this guy is always around the ball.

I've been on the Kam Chancellor (SS, Virginia Tech) bandwagon all year long. I ain't gettin off now. I absolutely want him as our second round choice. If he isn't there...Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon.

Round 3: RB, James Davis, Clemson. Senior

5-11 210. Not exactly the goal line or short yardage back we need, but a good player to spell Slaton, because we also need another everydown type of back. Imagine if Slaton got hurt. His NFL stock really has been hurt by Clemson's lack of conventional offense, much like Slaton. He is also a good receiver out of the backfield, although his numbers don't show it too much because C.J. Spiller was Clemson's 3rd down back. 753 attempts 3,881 yards and 47 touchdowns on his career.

Not a fan of either Clemson RB to be honest. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but there are other RB's I would take here instead.

Round 4: OG, Sergio Render. Virginia Tech. Junior

6-3 307. I'm not sure if Render is more of a 3rd round guy. He may not even be a 4th round guy. As I said earlier I don't read alot of scouting stuff. I just really like the way he plays. Everytime I watch him he plays extremely well.

Not a bad choice if he somehow falls here.

I realize that all these guys are from the ACC, and it is mostly because those are the games that I watch. I based this entire wish list off what I have seen this season, and in seasons prior. I based nothing from what I have read.

Stick to what you know. Nothin wrong with that. You know the ACC better than anyone else on this board.

I'd like us to spend the rest of the draft on BPA on defense, preferably no corners.

DL and LBs. Maybe some more OL depth.

:fans:

Just my thoughts...

YoungTexanFan 01-05-2009 05:07 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
I like Hamlin. As mentioned in a different thread, that might be a little high, but it is still very early. He could shoot up the boards. Who knows with fringe guys at this point. I'm not too keen on stocking up on Clemson guys. They always have top 25 teams and underachieve. They get great recruits but their teams never seem to play to their potential.

TexansSeminole 01-06-2009 09:25 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan (Post 1091737)
I like Hamlin. As mentioned in a different thread, that might be a little high, but it is still very early. He could shoot up the boards. Who knows with fringe guys at this point. I'm not too keen on stocking up on Clemson guys. They always have top 25 teams and underachieve. They get great recruits but their teams never seem to play to their potential.

Yea, I know what you mean. Their defense was actually pretty decent this year. Early in the year the front 7 really got exposed against Alabama and looked really shaken for the next couple of games, but they picked it up toward the end of the season.

I just really like these two players, despite the fact that it seems like Clemson has suffered from poor coaching recently.

Where do you have Davis and Hamlin rated at this point YTF? Just in terms of round.

Bah, I really like Chancellor too, I wouldn't be upset at all if he was taken in the second by the Texans. Big dude at 6'4 221.

YoungTexanFan 01-06-2009 10:17 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 1092647)
Yea, I know what you mean. Their defense was actually pretty decent this year. Early in the year the front 7 really got exposed against Alabama and looked really shaken for the next couple of games, but they picked it up toward the end of the season.

I just really like these two players, despite the fact that it seems like Clemson has suffered from poor coaching recently.

Where do you have Davis and Hamlin rated at this point YTF? Just in terms of round.

Bah, I really like Chancellor too, I wouldn't be upset at all if he was taken in the second by the Texans. Big dude at 6'4 221.

I've only got a top 100 board right now. It's up in Lawrence, and I'm hoping to get that up on here in the coming week. With that said, Hamlin was in the low 70's to mid 70's if I remember correctly. I don't have access to the file right now to check unfortunately. I am pretty sure that Davis was not one of my top 100 players to this point. I think Davis is more of a late 4th to 5th round guy.

Hooston Texan 01-07-2009 01:27 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
Per gbn, Chancellor is returning to school.

TexansSeminole 01-07-2009 08:05 PM

Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooston Texan (Post 1092966)
Per gbn, Chancellor is returning to school.

That's good to an extent. He could probably wind up as a first rounder if he has a good year next year. I'd bet Bud Foster has something to do with that decision.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger