Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   LORKs Mock #1 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57430)

LORK 88 12-31-2008 09:19 PM

LORKs Mock #1
 
Figured I'd start posting my mocks so I can see how they evolve (and how wrong I was). I'm too lazy to give reasoning, but I will explain myself if need be. I also made an alternate mock for the first 4 rounds if anyone wants to see that as well.

1) Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
2) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
3) Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
4) Zack Follett, LB, Cal
5) Andre Brown, RB, NC State
6) Willie Tuitama, QB, Arizona
7) Davon Drew, TE, East Carolina

UDFA) Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State; Anthony Reddix, FS, Miami; Maurice Crum Jr, LB, Notre Dame; Cecil Newton, C, Tennessee State; Thomas Morstead, P, SMU

LORK 88 01-01-2009 12:30 AM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali4Real (Post 1089250)
I like the Patrick Chung (I had him Rd 2 in my mock as well) however I feel he doesn't have the feet needed to cover some one in coverage (sorry for a better lack of word choice). What's up with Everette Brown, isn't he a 3-4 guy?

After rd. 3 I don't know those guys but Ron Brace sounds like a nice addittion to our d-line.

Nice job BTW....and happy new year!

Happy New Year to you as well! After watching last night's game, I'm more skeptical of Patrick Chung as well for the same reasons. In the alternate mock, I have us taking Sean Weatherspoon in round 2 (OLB), Courtney Greene of Rutgers round 3 (FS), and Terrance Taylor of Michigan round 4 (NT). Courtney Greene was by far the most impressive FS I saw this bowl season thus far, he did everything well. As for Everette Brown, his size makes people think 3-4 OLB but after watching him play he's got the room to add some weight and plays like a traditional 4-3 DE. FSU moved him to DT on some plays and also ran stunts to the inside.

beerlover 01-01-2009 12:40 AM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORK 88 (Post 1089186)
1) Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
2) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
3) Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
4) Zack Follett, LB, Cal
5) Andre Brown, RB, NC State
6) Willie Tuitama, QB, Arizona
7) Davon Drew, TE, East Carolina

1) 15 = fair value, plays position of need, another 1st pick last name Brown
2) everybody wang chung tonight, combine numbers key
3) Brace & Raji inside, BC still does not win, least you know where's the beef
4) Follet is another Adibi type, quick but better size
5) another Brown? low built, powerful good use of pick
6) productive, accurate love taking QB's like this late to develop
7) think TE is excellent area here to take a look at. EC is a good program

I could live with it, not sexy like

1) Taylor Mays, S
2) Greg Hardy, DE
3) Jeremiah Johnson, RB
4) Cody Brown, OLB (gotta have a Brown)
5) Edwin Williams, Center
6) Ryan Purvis, TE
7) Chris Pizzotti, QB

but nice work :)

LonerATO 01-01-2009 06:49 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORK 88 (Post 1089186)
Figured I'd start posting my mocks so I can see how they evolve (and how wrong I was). I'm too lazy to give reasoning, but I will explain myself if need be. I also made an alternate mock for the first 4 rounds if anyone wants to see that as well.

1) Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
2) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
3) Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
4) Zack Follett, LB, Cal
5) Andre Brown, RB, NC State
6) Willie Tuitama, QB, Arizona
7) Davon Drew, TE, East Carolina

UDFA) Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State; Anthony Reddix, FS, Miami; Maurice Crum Jr, LB, Notre Dame; Cecil Newton, C, Tennessee State; Thomas Morstead, P, SMU

I love your choice in Chung and Brace

badboy 01-02-2009 02:04 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORK 88 (Post 1089186)
Figured I'd start posting my mocks so I can see how they evolve (and how wrong I was). I'm too lazy to give reasoning, but I will explain myself if need be. I also made an alternate mock for the first 4 rounds if anyone wants to see that as well.

1) Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
2) Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
3) Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
4) Zack Follett, LB, Cal
5) Andre Brown, RB, NC State
6) Willie Tuitama, QB, Arizona
7) Davon Drew, TE, East Carolina

UDFA) Gartrell Johnson, RB, Colorado State; Anthony Reddix, FS, Miami; Maurice Crum Jr, LB, Notre Dame; Cecil Newton, C, Tennessee State; Thomas Morstead, P, SMU

As I don't watch too many college games until the bowls, I know little about your guys. You did address the need areas I have identified. I think we can trade down from 15 as Mays has "sexy" PR as someone stated. I think we can get a great safety in William Moore who has speed 4.45 for FS and strength/tackling for SS. That is the type player Kubes seems to want. If we can get a starter for DB and and extra pick, that is more "sexy" than Mays. The trade down last draft was very successfull. Also, I think a QB selection especially as low as yours is a waste of a pick. I argued this last season also, but there is history for it unfortunately.

Maddict5 01-02-2009 03:18 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1089938)
As I don't watch too many college games until the bowls, I know little about your guys. You did address the need areas I have identified. I think we can trade down from 15 as Mays has "sexy" PR as someone stated. I think we can get a great safety in William Moore who has speed 4.45 for FS and strength/tackling for SS. That is the type player Kubes seems to want. If we can get a starter for DB and and extra pick, that is more "sexy" than Mays. The trade down last draft was very successfull. Also, I think a QB selection especially as low as yours is a waste of a pick. I argued this last season also, but there is history for it unfortunately.

not an expert but guys who follow the draft yr round say moore is overweight and only a shadow of the player he was last yr...

its seems we've struck gold this yr as there should be alot of nice de's available at 15 and a nice pick of safeties at 47 or wherever we pick in the 2nd rd

badboy 01-02-2009 03:58 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddict5 (Post 1089982)
not an expert but guys who follow the draft yr round say moore is overweight and only a shadow of the player he was last yr...

its seems we've struck gold this yr as there should be alot of nice de's available at 15 and a nice pick of safeties at 47 or wherever we pick in the 2nd rd

So Moore may be over the 220lbs I used? If so, that should be rectified off season and TC but would be interesting as to why he ballooned. If he could turn a 4.5 and lower weight to 215 or so, I drool. That is why I was after him rather than Mays.

LORK 88 01-06-2009 02:53 AM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess safety seems to be the hot topic so I'll chime in. Taylor Mays scares me, in a bad way. He doesn't get the stats in any department at all, and everyone is obsessed with him solely based on his potential. Moore to me is the more natural safety, but everyone is down on him because this year doesn't compare to his previous season (which in my opinion was almost impossible to duplicate). What most don't realize is that Moore played most of the season hurt and was forced to play out of position for part of it. Whenever I saw him at the Alamo Bowl, they lined him up basically as a nickel CB. He does fit the Kubiak mold though and normally plays around the 220-230 range. Funny thing is I'm not completely sold on drafting either safety in round 1 just because of the talent that lies behind them in rounds 2 and 3.

Out of all the safeties, I'm most impressed with Courtney Greene out of Rutgers. He could of left his junior year, but returned. It started out rough (as did the entire team's start of the season going 1-4), but he caught on at the end and showed why he's a potential starter in the NFL. He's got good size, solid speed, can play in the box and deep, and can make plays in both the run and the pass game. Look at the bowl game for examples. First play on defense he delivers a big blow and forces a fumble. A few series later, he almost picks off a pass over the TE jumping for it (who happens to be a 4th round prospect). Towards the end he finally gets his INT. It will be interesting to see how he performs at the combine.

LonerATO 01-06-2009 03:44 AM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
I would love to have Chung, Unger and Shipley in this draft since we need O-line and a Safety

bah007 01-06-2009 12:19 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LonerATO (Post 1092033)
I would love to have Chung, Unger and Shipley in this draft since we need O-line and a Safety

Shipley from Texas? He is coming back to school.

Or Shipley from Penn St? That would be a nice pick.

bah007 01-06-2009 12:22 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
William Moore had a great year last year. He had like 9 INTs right?

This year, whatever the excuse may be (injury, overweigth) he has looked bad. He looked like just another guy on the Mizzou defense getting burned.

He is fast for his size and has good ball skills. But, like most players on Mizzou's defense, he is soft. He doesn't hit people unless he has to. And he is a very poor wrap-up tackler. 90% of the time he puts his head down and fails to wrap up.

I think he is vastly overrated as a complete safety. As a pure coverage guy, maybe not.

LonerATO 01-06-2009 03:19 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bah007 (Post 1092164)
Shipley from Texas? He is coming back to school.

Or Shipley from Penn St? That would be a nice pick.

sorry A.Q. Shipley

LORK 88 02-25-2009 05:18 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
POST COMBINE MOCK:

1) Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
2) Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
3) Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest
4) James Davis, RB, Clemson
4) Xavier Fulton, OL, Illinois
5) Deon Butler, WR, Penn State
6) Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M
7) Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College

I figure instead of creating countless threads with my mocks, I would just create one and update it over time. It will be cool to see how it evolves over time as well, I'll get one out after FA settles down and right before the draft.

bah007 02-25-2009 05:20 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORK 88 (Post 1126870)
POST COMBINE MOCK:

1) Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
2) Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
3) Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest
4) James Davis, RB, Clemson
4) Xavier Fulton, OL, Illinois
5) Deon Butler, WR, Penn State
6) Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M
7) Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College

I figure instead of creating countless threads with my mocks, I would just create one and update it over time. It will be cool to see how it evolves over time as well, I'll get one out after FA settles down and right before the draft.

I like this one a lot.

All those guys will probably be available at those spots and would be good picks.

I don't think McGee gets out of the 5th but other than that I have nothing to complain about. Good job.

Blake 02-25-2009 05:36 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORK 88 (Post 1126870)
POST COMBINE MOCK:

1) Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
2) Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
3) Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest
4) James Davis, RB, Clemson
4) Xavier Fulton, OL, Illinois
5) Deon Butler, WR, Penn State
6) Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M
7) Ryan Purvis, TE, Boston College

I figure instead of creating countless threads with my mocks, I would just create one and update it over time. It will be cool to see how it evolves over time as well, I'll get one out after FA settles down and right before the draft.

I like it, but could do without Xavier Fulton and McGee. Never been a big fan of either.

JayCee 02-25-2009 08:45 PM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
i like the looks of Ayers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAR9Qb3liRs

threetoedpete 02-26-2009 03:14 AM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
You always do a good job Lork. I like it. Nice mock. Don't remember your TE. But you got to figure they will bang it some where along the way. Not a big fan of Brace....to close to Travis Johnson when he came out. Got an elite guy next to him...how do you know ?

Kubiak has been pretty disciplined drafting Aggies....Mcgee fits. I'd have no problem with the pick if they like the guy and want to take a look at him.

The key of course is getting Ayers with the second round pick.

HOU-TEX 02-26-2009 10:29 AM

Re: LORKs Mock #1
 
I can dig this mock. Although, Cushing scares the crap out of me fellas. I don't know what it is about this guy that makes me feel that way. I just feel like he's an overrated workout warrior.

I hope I'm wrong and he ends up the badass that he looks like......for us, of course.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger