Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mock Draft Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Steel B's December Mock (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57235)

steelbtexan 12-26-2008 02:38 PM

Steel B's December Mock
 
Rd1 Everette Brown DE Fla St Best pass rusher in draft. underrated versus run
Rd2 Ron Brace DT BC Big run stuffing DT High school wrestler
Rd3 Emmanuel S South Car. fast hard hitting playmaker
Rd4 Erick Wood C Louisville tough big C helps solidify the middle of OL helps red zone offense
Rd5 Gartrell Johnson Colo.St. Big RB Good hands lack of long speed causes him to fall to the 5th Rd He's the thunder to Slaton Lightning Colo. St. conection
Rd6 Henry Melton DE Tex. 4.65 speed Dev. DE you cant teach speed, new to position
Rd7 Josh Pinkard S USC Finally stayed healthy this year, Great ability falls because past injury concerns.

UDFA Brian Toal LB BC
Stephen McGhee QB TX A&M
Justin Brantley P TX A&M

FA Maroney RB is going to get cut by NE & played in ZBS in college
Mike Peterson versatile playmaking LB should come cheap because he was DelRio's scapegoat
Chris McAlister CB former pro-bowler cming off injury should come cheap instantly the best cover corner on team.

Go ahead & rip my thoughts or give feedback

Honoring Earl 34 12-26-2008 03:07 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1084755)
Rd1 Everette Brown DE Fla St Best pass rusher in draft. underrated versus run
Rd2 Ron Brace DT BC Big run stuffing DT High school wrestler
Rd3 Emmanuel S South Car. fast hard hitting playmaker
Rd4 Erick Wood C Louisville tough big C helps solidify the middle of OL helps red zone offense
Rd5 Gartrell Johnson Colo.St. Big RB Good hands lack of long speed causes him to fall to the 5th Rd He's the thunder to Slaton Lightning Colo. St. conection
Rd6 Henry Melton DE Tex. 4.65 speed Dev. DE you cant teach speed, new to position
Rd7 Josh Pinkard S USC Finally stayed healthy this year, Great ability falls because past injury concerns.

UDFA Brian Toal LB BC
Stephen McGhee QB TX A&M
Justin Brantley P TX A&M

FA Maroney RB is going to get cut by NE & played in ZBS in college
Mike Peterson versatile playmaking LB should come cheap because he was DelRio's scapegoat
Chris McAlister CB former pro-bowler cming off injury should come cheap instantly the best cover corner on team.

Go ahead & rip my thoughts or give feedback

I think you filled some needs while taking some chances on athletic guys late .

Insideop 12-26-2008 05:49 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1084755)
Rd1 Everette Brown DE Fla St Best pass rusher in draft. underrated versus run
Rd2 Ron Brace DT BC Big run stuffing DT High school wrestler
Rd3 Emmanuel S South Car. fast hard hitting playmaker
Rd4 Erick Wood C Louisville tough big C helps solidify the middle of OL helps red zone offense
Rd5 Gartrell Johnson Colo.St. Big RB Good hands lack of long speed causes him to fall to the 5th Rd He's the thunder to Slaton Lightning Colo. St. conection
Rd6 Henry Melton DE Tex. 4.65 speed Dev. DE you cant teach speed, new to position
Rd7 Josh Pinkard S USC Finally stayed healthy this year, Great ability falls because past injury concerns.

UDFA Brian Toal LB BC
Stephen McGhee QB TX A&M
Justin Brantley P TX A&M

FA Maroney RB is going to get cut by NE & played in ZBS in college
Mike Peterson versatile playmaking LB should come cheap because he was DelRio's scapegoat
Chris McAlister CB former pro-bowler cming off injury should come cheap instantly the best cover corner on team.

Go ahead & rip my thoughts or give feedback

OK, here goes....

I wouldn't mind Everette Brown in the 1st. They say he is undersized for a DE and fits an OLB in a 3-4, but the Colts run a 4-3 and Mathis is listed as 6'2", 245 lbs.

Brace in the 2nd is too high from what I've read. Walterfootball.com has him going in the 3rd or 4th round at this point in time. Another DT to keep an eye on in the 3rd is Dorell Scott from Clemson.

Emanuel Cook from S.C. would be a great pick, but he is moving up the boards and will probably be gone in the 2nd rd. from what I've been reading. So, if you swap him and Brace, it will even out. Cook is a bit undersized, at 5'10" and 203 lbs., but I hear he plays like Bob Sanders. Patrick Chung (SS) from Oregon is another one I'm hearing good things about.

Wood in the 4th could be a good pick. Not sure if he knows the ZB scheme, but Gibbs will get him up to speed.

Johnson sounds like a good pick, but you may be able to get him a lot lower or even as an UDFA. I don't see him listed on most of the draft web sites, but that could change as the Combine/Draft gets closer. He could be one of those finds Smith/Kubes gets later in the Draft or FA like Diles and Anderson.

Melton in the 6th I don't know anything about. His speed is good but how big is he? And, if you get Brown in the 1st, why would you get another DE when we have other needs?

Pinkard in the 7th could be a find but I'm hearing he has medical (Injuries) and legal (DUI) issues. I don't think the Texans will touch him.

UDFA's
Toal is another one that is injury prone from what I've read. McGhee has probably played his last game. I just don't think anyone will take him. Brantley is no Shane Lechler (sp?), but what the heck, it wouldn't hurt to give Turk some competition in camp.

FA's
Wasn't Maroney hurt this season? I just can't see them cutting him after taking him in the 1st rd a couple of years ago. But who knows? Don't know about the other 2.

TexansSeminole 12-26-2008 06:13 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali4Real (Post 1084763)
Good picks overall, however, i'd like to focus on the above mentioned players. Everette Brown is an interesting pick but I think he's more suited for a 3-4 scheme because he's played OLB and a little bit of DE and at 6-4" 258-lbs I think he's undersized for a DE.


:fans:

Everette Brown never played olb, not even in high school. Not sure where you got that info.

Just FYI.

Also e cook got suspended for academic reasons, I doubt we will draft him.

Insideop 12-26-2008 08:59 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 1084799)
Everette Brown never played olb, not even in high school. Not sure where you got that info.

Just FYI.

Also e cook got suspended for academic reasons, I doubt we will draft him.

I haven't heard that about Cook. Do you have a link?

I don't think the Texans would not draft him because he was suspended for academic reasons. Now if it were for some legal issues or disciplinary issues on the team, then they would probably pass, but an academic suspension, I don't think that would stop them. JMHO!

Honoring Earl 34 12-26-2008 09:08 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insideop (Post 1084826)
I haven't heard that about Cook. Do you have a link?

I don't think the Texans would not draft him because he was suspended for academic reasons. Now if it were for some legal issues or disciplinary issues on the team, then they would probably pass, but an academic suspension, I don't think that would stop them. JMHO!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=SS

beerlover 12-26-2008 09:32 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
I don't care for this one too much. EB @ #12 is over rated in my book, just can't be bpa. Brace is developmental we already have Deljuan/Okam. Cook is not bad I guess, not big on Chung either. Eric Wood might be a catch, ggod athlete but I'm not comfortable with Louisville coaching. watched Gartrell Johnson the other night & he struggles against a good defense even in man on man situations, not as fast or strong as he appears a poor mans version of Marion Barber. big projects in the late rounds why not take a stab with a QB & a kicker? just saying :thinking:

Ole Miss Texan 12-26-2008 09:34 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 (Post 1084828)

from link
Quote:

South Carolina safety Emanuel Cook has been declared academically ineligible for the team's upcoming bowl game.

Spurrier says Cook failed to pass the minimum six hours required by the NCAA to be eligible for a bowl game.

Coaches say they expect Cook to declare for the NFL draft and forego his senior year at South Carolina.
6 hours!? come on guy!

JayCee 12-26-2008 10:22 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan (Post 1084848)
6 hours!? come on guy!

6 hours time in class per week?

TexansSeminole 12-26-2008 10:51 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCee (Post 1084865)
6 hours time in class per week?

Each class is 3 hours, some are 4.

It means he couldn't pass two classes in the whole semester.

It basically means he is not smart, probably stupid.

I think it's a pretty big deal because it speaks to his intelligence.

JMO

As for E Brown I think he fits perfectly. Mario is our strongside DE. We need a weakside DE and I think E Brown is a great one. It may be homerism, but I just really like him as a pro prospect.

YoungTexanFan 12-26-2008 11:02 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansSeminole (Post 1084873)
Each class is 3 hours, some are 4.

It means he couldn't pass two classes in the whole semester.

It basically means he is not smart, probably stupid.

I think it's a pretty big deal because it speaks to his intelligence.

JMO

As for E Brown I think he fits perfectly. Mario is our strongside DE. We need a weakside DE and I think E Brown is a great one. It may be homerism, but I just really like him as a pro prospect.

I agree about Cook. Wow. That takes effort considering the mandated tutoring and libary time these guys are forced into.

Also, I love Brown in the NFL. Just in a 3-4 as a rush OLB.

Goatcheese 12-27-2008 12:35 AM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
I can see the Brown Pick. Depends on his weight/strength at the combine.

I would go with Michael Hamlin SS from Clemson in the third.

LORK 88 12-27-2008 12:14 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1084755)
Rd1 Everette Brown DE Fla St Best pass rusher in draft. underrated versus run
Rd2 Ron Brace DT BC Big run stuffing DT High school wrestler
Rd3 Emmanuel S South Car. fast hard hitting playmaker
Rd4 Erick Wood C Louisville tough big C helps solidify the middle of OL helps red zone offense
Rd5 Gartrell Johnson Colo.St. Big RB Good hands lack of long speed causes him to fall to the 5th Rd He's the thunder to Slaton Lightning Colo. St. conection
Rd6 Henry Melton DE Tex. 4.65 speed Dev. DE you cant teach speed, new to position
Rd7 Josh Pinkard S USC Finally stayed healthy this year, Great ability falls because past injury concerns.

UDFA Brian Toal LB BC
Stephen McGhee QB TX A&M
Justin Brantley P TX A&M

FA Maroney RB is going to get cut by NE & played in ZBS in college
Mike Peterson versatile playmaking LB should come cheap because he was DelRio's scapegoat
Chris McAlister CB former pro-bowler cming off injury should come cheap instantly the best cover corner on team.

Go ahead & rip my thoughts or give feedback

I really like round 1, Everette Brown is an amazing pass rusher and has the potential to get bigger to be a legitimate 4-3 DE. Also a big fan of Ron Brace because he's the big body up front we need, although I would switch him and Emanuel Cook for the time being; Cook is a projected 2nd rounder while Brace is a projected 3rd rounder. As for Cook, it worries me that he has grade problems, but no doubt he's a talented safety. Not too familiar with Wood, so I can't comment on that pick. As for the 5th round, I like the player but think it's way too soon for Johnson. He had a great bowl game and has put up decent numbers, but I have a hard time believing anyone will draft him in the 5th round. Right now, I think it's safer to say that he's a 7th round pick. As for Melton, I think he's valued too high and would be better off as a UDFA pick. He's got potential and is an athlete, but his inexperience and arrest a year ago doesn't help. In round 7, I'm not sold on the player, but can understand the reasoning (the Matt Cassel effect). As for the UDFAs, Toal scares me because he broke his fibula. I don't like McGee at all at QB. Brantley would be a good UDFA to bring in to push Turk. Overall it's a solid mock, especially for this early in the draft season.

Tailgate 12-27-2008 03:41 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Sounds good to me. At least in terms of our needs... it seems like you nailed em all.

The word on the street though is Henry Meltons stock s rising. Scouts are all over his raw skills and he will jump up a few rounds from what I am hearing.

threetoedpete 12-28-2008 10:01 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

I'm not comfortable with Louisville coaching
You mean Like Jason Spitz of Green Bay ?

I like Wood a lot. He's a center who can cover both guard spots. The only negative is the knee braces.

Look the prize at DE is Orakpo. Do we go get him if he drops past the first six or not ? Same with Curry. I don't care which one. I'll live with the others....I want one of the two. Orakpo or Curry.

Oh did we reacquire a sixth pick after the Meyers move last march?

threetoedpete 12-28-2008 10:06 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgate (Post 1085029)
Sounds good to me. At least in terms of our needs... it seems like you nailed em all.

The word on the street though is Henry Melton's stock is rising. Scouts are all over his raw skills and he will jump up a few rounds from what I am hearing.

Yep I think that cat is out of the bag. If I'd of posted it I'd been called out for another Texas guy. Parcell's set the market last year with the guy from Hampton in the fourth with these type of players.... I think the guy from San Jose State Jurron Gilbert, is another guy ....raw out of position off the scale potential that should go early on the second day....we'll see.

YoungTexanFan 12-29-2008 12:55 AM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1086495)
You mean Like Jason Spitz of Green Bay ?

I like Wood a lot. He's a center who can cover both guard spots. The only negative is the knee braces.

Look the prize at DE is Orakpo. Do we go get him if he drops past the first six or not ? Same with Curry. I don't care which one. I'll live with the others....I want one of the two. Orakpo or Curry.

Oh did we reacquire a sixth pick after the Meyers move last march?

Wood is far too similar to White for my liking. He just isn't athletic enough to play in this scheme. He's got the heart the size of Daunta, but he's got the athletic ability of Turk. Love the kid as a football player, but he won't solve any of the problems with our centers now.

Ole Miss Texan 12-29-2008 09:26 AM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by threetoedpete (Post 1086495)
Oh did we reacquire a sixth pick after the Meyers move last march?

We traded Denver our 2008 6th round pick for Myers. Barber was our 6th round pick that year as a result of the trade in the 1st round from #18 to #26 (+ 3rd round: Slaton and 6th: Barber).

For the 2009 draft, we have all our draft picks at this point in time.


While I havn't been terribly impressed with Myers at C, I think he's a heck of a bargain for a 6th round pick. If nothing else, I think he's a very good back up to have if we do get a true C and that's more than you could say at this point if we would have drafted OL in the 6th last year.

steelbtexan 12-29-2008 05:42 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
I think the BPA is going to be Raji @ 15

I hope Hardy falls to 15 in the 2nd rd If he doesn't I would take Chung & take Barwin or Gilbert in the 3rd.

We always seem to win our last 2 games every year & lose out on the guy I want.

Last year Albert, this year Brown Oh Well

I really like Wood & think everyone is underrating him

YoungTexanFan 12-29-2008 10:33 PM

Re: Steel B's December Mock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1087346)
I think the BPA is going to be Raji @ 15

I hope Hardy falls to 15 in the 2nd rd If he doesn't I would take Chung & take Barwin or Gilbert in the 3rd.

We always seem to win our last 2 games every year & lose out on the guy I want.

Last year Albert, this year Brown Oh Well

I really like Wood & think everyone is underrating him

I wanted Albert last year too, but as an OG.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger