Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Babin the key to our season (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571)

tom1354788 05-30-2004 04:47 PM

Babin the key to our season

Just a thought, but the more I contemplate the upcoming season the more I see Babin being the key and measure of how we are going to do.

The way I see it, its now year 3 time for Carr to release his potential, but im not expecting anything exceptional, (a improvement but nothing too eye opening)

Davis I fully expect to do well, and improve with round 1200 to 1300 yards.

A.J to put in another solid year with around 1100 yards, even with him being double teamed more often.

From what I gather on the boards this seems to be a pretty acurate of the expectations for next year, and with these sort of figures I see us being ranked round about 15-20.

But the diffrence in our game that may put us in the mix for a playoff bearth is having a descent pass rush. Something that we just have not had up till now. Now I know Babin is a rookie and the weight of expectations on him are going to be high, especially seeing what we gave up to get him, but I feel the beter he does, the further the team can reach.

So what do you all reckon:

Do you see Babin starting?
Do you see him doing well?
Do you see our pass rush improving even without Babin this year?
What value do you put on us having a descent pass rush (considering our other talants/weaknesses)?

J-Man 05-30-2004 06:15 PM

1st off I think saying that Babs is the key to our sucess for the season maybe overeaching to say the least. It is critical that we upgrade our pass rush, however, I think even with out his presence it will have improved from las year; if for no other reason than us keeping our guys healthy.

Babs will start, and show a high motor and good effort...probably getting a few sacks and several pressures in the process. We will also see him get schooled several times by solid veteran lineman. That's just how it goes.

Don't get me wrong...if he comes out and posts double digit sacks I will be buying the next keg and the tailgate! I am just trying to be realistic.

texasguy346 05-30-2004 06:24 PM

I think its never a good idea to say that a season's success or failure is based on the play of one particular rookie. Rookies take time to develop, and its unrealistic to expect them to be the savior their first season in the league. Its more of a situation where any contributions that the player can make is just an added bonus. One player won't drastically improve a pass rush. However, I feel the return of Gary Walker and Seth Payne along the DLine, and the acquisition of Smith will drastically improve our defensive pass rush. Remember that in our first season Walker earned a spot on the Pro Bowl with his pass rushing skills. Also, a good pass rush can make the secondary and defense as a whole look a lot better. But I think the key here is to keep a realistic perspective on this whole situation. I think Babin has a good chance of starting, but don't rule out Antwan Peek starting in the first few games if Babin's transition to OLB is a little slow. I don't think he'll put up extravagant numbers as a rookie, in part because hes making a leap from Western Michigan to the NFL, and he's switching positions at that. Look for him to put up anywhere between 5 to 9 sacks if he's healthy, and perhaps an interception. I'm much more interested in seeing how Robinson does this season. Will he have an excellent rookie season like Seatle's Marcus Trufant, or will he have a slow and uneventful season of learning the NFL game?

BornOrange 05-30-2004 06:53 PM

I agree with J-man and texasguy.

An improved pass rush is going to be necessary for the Texans to go 8-8, much less contend for the playoffs, but Babin isn't the biggest change in that regard for 2004.
Having a healthy Walker and Payne is more important than Babin.
Having a healthy secondary (especially Glenn) is more important than Babin.
Adding Robaire Smith is more important than Babin.

Don't get me wrong. I think Jason Babin can be a major contributor as a rookie. However, there are other factors that will be even more important to an improved pass rush in 2004.

BuffSoldier 05-30-2004 08:54 PM

Jason Babin will start, he will make an impact(not much in coverage), and he will improve the pass rush.

But dont expect him to be the anchor on D or the reason the Texans make the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. He will be a good addition to the pass rush and he will have 6-12 sacks but dont expect him to come in and be dominant this year. Too much pressure to put on any rookie, even the man who decides who he gets drafted by(Eli) and he soldier(K2).

rittenhouserobz 06-01-2004 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom1354788
But the diffrence in our game that may put us in the mix for a playoff bearth is having a descent pass rush. Something that we just have not had up till now. Now I know Babin is a rookie and the weight of expectations on him are going to be high, especially seeing what we gave up to get him, but I feel the beter he does, the further the team can reach.

Robinson should be the one with pressure. He is replacing a CB who feasibly could start at LCB one to two more years. Whoe is Babin replacing? Babin will have less pressure than Robinson. I hope they both contribute. It is hard to ask so much of a rookie who is really just trying to get used to the speed of the NFL game and will occasionally show flashes of brilliance.

Don't forget we have Peek and Orr. They may not be the same athlete as Babin, but I remember seeing good things from these two. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to belittle Babin's role. I just think there are other options to consider if he isn't quite ready.

D-ReK 06-01-2004 12:59 AM

to answer your questions:

Do you see Babin starting? if he shows any amount of promise in the preseason, he will start...the only thing that can stop him is injury or ungodly play from peek or orr...
Do you see him doing well? he will have struggles his first few games, but as the season wears on, he will impress more than a few...i estimate 75 tackles and 8 sacks...
Do you see our pass rush improving even without Babin this year? this is pretty much insured by the return of a healthy payne and walker and the addition of robaire smith...
What value do you put on us having a descent pass rush (considering our other talants/weaknesses)? a good pass rush can be the difference between a defense ranked 30th and a defense that is ranked 15th...it also opens up the field for our DB's...
:twocents:

J-Man 06-01-2004 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-ReK
to answer your questions:

Do you see him doing well? he will have struggles his first few games, but as the season wears on, he will impress more than a few...i estimate 75 tackles and 8 sacks...
:

75 T's and 8 sacks...might be shooting a little high. I agree that he will struggle and somewhere around the back half of the season we will see him getting up on the learning curve, but 75/8 is a pretty good year for a 3/4 OLB. Hope that it happens, but hope is not a method.

TheOgre 06-01-2004 11:17 AM

We might have said the same thing about Stacey Mack before last season. We did alright without him.

texan279 06-01-2004 11:17 PM

I don't see how Babin will be the key and measure of how we are doing this year...he is a rookie coming straight into the NFL who will be starting his first year and who is making a transition from one position to another.

aj. 06-02-2004 07:36 AM

I would say David Carr's performance and consistent pressure on the opposing QB (regardless of who applies it) are the two primary keys to the season.

texanfan1 06-28-2004 01:46 PM

is babin going to be that good

do you think babin will ever be an elite pass rusherundefined

texanfan1 06-28-2004 01:56 PM

is baben going to be that good

Fiddy 06-28-2004 02:00 PM

I think he has the capability to put up double digits sacks, but not for a year or two

Nawzer 06-28-2004 04:51 PM

For us to be a successful team this year our "star" players have to play up to that level and some of our young and average players has to have an exceptional year. We are still in a point in our development where we cannot rely on any one player, much less a rookie.

TheOgre 06-28-2004 05:07 PM

I think it is too much to ask for both Babin and Robinson to have big years. They are rookies. One of them is starting a new position too.

Optimism is great but don't set yourself up for a freefall in expectations if these rookies don't live up to your desires.

Blake 06-28-2004 05:09 PM

Football is the epitome of a "team game." Babin is a peice of it. But I wouldnt put the sucess of the season on the boy.

beerlover 06-28-2004 05:20 PM

I hope he does just so J-Man can plunk down that keg :jam:

It's exciting just to imagine Babin having that kinda impact, but the Texans play a team game everybody relies on each other so the most important factor is they all continue to work hard, improve as a team and avoid any of those season ending injury's. Dreaming a little- its not out of the realm that Jason has an all-rookie year & leads the team with 8 sacks. If some want to say that Babin is key to the Texans success I don't see any problem with that, he seems to have good leadership abilities, is mature and not concerned about egos or money matters.

When does the season start? Let's GO TEXANS :headbang:

keyfro 06-28-2004 07:57 PM

the success of the season doesn't rely souly on robinson or babin's success...no it's rests on the whole team...babin and robinson are only pieces of that team...the team, the coaches, and the admin's will make the success of the team...any given sunday will be the key to our success...can we win the games we're supposed to win and a few we're not...that's the key gentleman...not a player...but the game

jhawktx 06-28-2004 08:29 PM

Anytime you are counting on a rookie as your make or break guy for your season (and a defensive rookie at that), you are hurting. No way is he the key to our season.