Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Andre Johnson this season (old thread alert) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56)

Andre_Johnson88 04-30-2004 05:24 PM

Andre Johnson this season (old thread alert)

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on how improved yall think Andre will be this season at WR?Personally,hopefully he has been working on his hands, but knowing him he has most likely been working hard in all aspects........

Blake 04-30-2004 05:40 PM

Im sure we will get an update wen training camp starts. Andre has a great work ethic. He should make a great leap in his abilities.

TheOgre 04-30-2004 05:48 PM

Usually the 3rd year for a receiver is their breakout one. They often have the sophomore jinx.

blockhead83 04-30-2004 05:59 PM

I see improvements

He had a great rookie season, 65 receptions or thereabouts. I think he'll improve on that number. His main problem IMO last season was dropping some of the easier grabs. I also remember in the colts game where he forgot to drag his feet in the end zone, leading to an out of bounds call. I have a good feeling that he's going to eliminate alot of those "rookie" mistakes from his game and have a strong showing this season. Probably not anything groundbreaking, but he's going to be solid.

CaptainPatriot 04-30-2004 06:28 PM

I hope he works on his technique of catching and putting his feet inbounds. Remember his down side was dropping passes out of college :-( I remember that post he ran in preseason game last yr perfect route for a TD and he dropped the ball my heart just dropped! Hope he won`t be 1 of the speed burners who can`t catch in the NFL. To be honest he gave the Patriots a gift last yr. With a drop down by the 20 and fumble of a end around!

BigTex 04-30-2004 06:39 PM

I think this is last year to be an OK Receiver if even that. Last year he was a Good Rookie, this year a Good Pro, Next year a PRO BOWLER I hope I am wrong and he skips Good Pro but it will be difficult he has alot of improving to do but is right on track. I think this will be an AWESOME Year for Mr. Johnson

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 04-30-2004 06:49 PM

80 catches and 1200 yards

BigTex 04-30-2004 06:51 PM

15.0 ypc it's a steep mountain to climb but looking at AJ I think he has the "Potential" to do it but the question is does he want it bad enough to work VERY VERY VERY hard 4 it?

Hervoyel 04-30-2004 07:02 PM

I look for improvement and then a little cooling off from AJ this coming season. It seems to me that a lot of times recievers come into their rookie season with a case of nerves. AJ did drop a lot of balls last year that were apparently easy grabs and every year it seems like we see this from rookie recievers (and Corey Bradford). Going into 2004 I look for him to have settled down some and to start making more catches. Gaffney seemed to get a lot more reliable at the start of 2003 if you remember. At one point I was really getting pumped over how much better his hands seemed to be.

Then after he starts to get going something will happen. Maybe he'll get a little sure of himself or maybe he'll drop one for no apparent reason and his confidence will take a little hit. Maybe he'll start getting more attention from the defensive backs and things will get tougher all of a sudden. For whatever reason I expect him to cool off after about 6-7 weeks and then if he's as good as we all think he is (me too) he'll get his second wind and finish the season strong.

This of course leads into his third year where he's finally completely comfortable with what's going on and he starts banging cornerbacks like a drum on his way to the Pro Bowl.

That's how I think this is going to play out. I also think Gaffney's going to have a heck of a season this year. I'm counting on it.

keyfro 04-30-2004 07:39 PM

i think in two seasons him and chris johnson are going to be the top two recievers in the AFC...harrison might be going to another team soon...and there really isn't another reciever in the AFC that has their ability...the only thing better about Andre over chris is that he doesn't want to get into trouble with the front office

281 04-30-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyfro
i think in two seasons him and chris johnson are going to be the top two recievers in the AFC...harrison might be going to another team soon...and there really isn't another reciever in the AFC that has their ability...the only thing better about Andre over chris is that he doesn't want to get into trouble with the front office

Chris Johnson is Chad Johnson of the Bengals, right? Chad Johnson has one of the best work ethics in the league, believe it or not.

Fiddy 04-30-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
80 catches and 1200 yards

That sounds about right

all I hope for is that Carr can stay healthy so they can continue to devolp a Manning-Harrison type chemistry.

DoCt3rJ 04-30-2004 09:22 PM

I think one of our other WR are gonna have to step up to take the double-teams off AJ, then were looking at 75-90 catches, 1200 yards or so, maybe 6-8 TD's

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 04-30-2004 09:28 PM

receivers will have an easier time on the field making plays with that new holding call enforced.

Fiddy 04-30-2004 09:30 PM

I forgot about that. I didnt like that rule change. DBs have the hardest job on the field and now they are making it even harder for them. First they cant hit a defenseless WR, then they cant bumb into them, and now it seems that they cant even touch them.

BuffSoldier 04-30-2004 09:34 PM

Hopefully AJ will continue to progress in the offense and will be an even bigger asset to the team this year. I think if he could hold on to a few more passes he can be an elite WR in the NFL.

infantrycak 04-30-2004 11:22 PM

For a little perspective here, two facts: (1) before the last season most posters expected 500-800 yds from AJ due to normal (high-end) rookie performance and (2) AJ almost broke 1000 yds last year and had either the 6th or 7th best rookie performane (sorry can't remember, aj did the homework on the old board) in NFL history. Keep in mind that from a WR's point of view, last year was a nightmare due to Carr going down/playing hurt, Banks going down and then the 3rd string left handed QB playing.

As for drops, I will try to dig up the research again, but Bradford and Gaffney had 1, that's right, 1 drop each last year and AJ had 10. Now ten might sound like a big number until you see that "never drops a ball" Moss had 9, etc. As I said, will try to dig up the comparison and post shortly but statistically, AJ's hands are not bad.

Guid2000 04-30-2004 11:33 PM

Another thought

Dre went from Ken Dorsey balls floating at him to David Carr bullets zooming past him. It takes time to get used to that. The QB switching due to injuries didn't help. But I think he'll do well this year. A better line will mean more receivers out in patterns, which means less double teams, more time for Carr... all this equals 85-95 catches and 1200-1300 yards for Dre.

ledzeppelin229 05-01-2004 04:55 PM

I think the key to Gaffney "stepping up" will be Carr throwing more to his other receivers. Gaff didn't see many balls going his way for a guy that is said to be our best route runner and seems to have the best hands as well. With more protection and experience I expect Carr to spread the ball around a little more, which should free up AJ from as many double teams.

rittenhouserobz 05-02-2004 12:32 AM

I expect AJ to get 1300 yards recieving and 9 TD's this year. If we are going to win, then he is going to play a decent role.