Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Power Rankings, I disagree obviously. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5466)

Hervoyel 12-28-2004 11:34 AM

Power Rankings, I disagree obviously.
 
Yes, of course i know that the ESPN Power Rankings mean nothing. As I've said before it's just part of my Tuesday routine during the season. It's also become routine to see the Texans get shanked but this week it's pretty bad. The 21-0 win over the Jaguars moved us from, get this #19 to... #19. We went absolutely nowhere according to these knuckleheads. Jacksonville on the other hand dropped from their overrated #9 spot to #12.

Complete rubbish. You can apparently beat a team twice in a convincing fashion and their one additional win merits ranking them 7 spots higher? I notice the Chiefs are also 4 spots ahead of us according to ESPN despite having the exact same record and a loss to the Texans this year.

I wonder if they'll have Jacksonville ranked higher than the Texans next week if/when we're both 8-8?

TexansTrueFan 12-28-2004 11:37 AM

stupid power rankings mean little. They rank which ever team they like better higher. I'm guessing they are all saying our wins over jacksonville are all flukes ! I still feel a lack of respect here :hmmm: guess we'll have to win the superbowl before we get recognized as a contender

Bayern 12-28-2004 11:48 AM

Ahhh... this isn't really anything new. ESPN gives Houston the shaft alot it seems. I think its particularly odd that the 7-8 Panthers are put in the 11th spot. :hmmm:

TheOgre 12-28-2004 11:59 AM

I think there are a lot of teams lumped in the middle. It is hard to differentiate between them. We drew the short straw.

LBC_Justin 12-28-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayern
Ahhh... this isn't really anything new. ESPN gives Houston the shaft alot it seems. I think its particularly odd that the 7-8 Panthers are put in the 11th spot. :hmmm:

The Panthers are 6-1 in their last 7 games so they have a hot hand and deserve some praise for turning it around.

But LMAO..... The Jags are a garbage team. They are so overrated it is not even funny.

The Texans maybe could be a few spots higher.

But like the rest of you I am praying the Texans beat the Browns and the Jags lose to the Raiders. (Oh it would be so great to see the Texans ranked higher than the Jaguars.)

infantrycak 12-28-2004 12:16 PM

Well you are really going to hate CBS's power rankings then:

Link

Somehow winning against a "better" team moved the Hags down from 8 to 13 AND moved the Texans down from 17 to 20. Yeah, that makes sense.

jagsfanincanada 12-28-2004 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
But LMAO..... The Jags are a garbage team. They are so overrated it is not even funny.

A few bad games and we are overrated? What happened when you played Denver, and what happened when we played them? How bout Indy in Indy? Green Bay? Must be nice to see us twice in a year, both with our two best offensive players hurt. :rolleyes:

Sarg01 12-28-2004 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagsfanincanada
A few bad games and we are overrated? What happened when you played Denver, and what happened when we played them? How bout Indy in Indy? Green Bay? Must be nice to see us twice in a year, both with our two best offensive players hurt. :rolleyes:

No, you were overrated before the season began (anyone remember the "this year's Panthers" talk?) and have remained overrated since.

Nawzer 12-28-2004 12:51 PM

Even though I pay little attention to power rankings and whatnot, I am surprised to see the Texans didn't move up a few spots. We are better than some of these teams in the NFC who will make the playoffs, so I don't know why we didn't climb up in the ESPN poll's. But whatever..all I'm concerned about is the Browns this week.

Sco-tai 12-28-2004 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well you are really going to hate CBS's power rankings then:

Link

Somehow winning against a "better" team moved the Hags down from 8 to 13 AND moved the Texans down from 17 to 20. Yeah, that makes sense.

I just don't get it. Sure, these things don't mean anything. But it's a great measuring tool to see how the national media respects the teams.
HOW DOES A TEAM shut out a team that is viewed (according to said media) as a TOP 10 TEAM, and then slip down 3 spots!? :loser

I believe an honest ranking would put us right in the middle. We can beat anyone any week...and are also capable of laying bad performances like in Denver. But to drop us 3 slots after we performed the way we did against the Jags is a complete joke.

Even if we smoke the Browns and end the season on a 3 game win-streak, I can bet the only coverage on the Texans this summer will simply say "This is the 4th year for Capers, now or never". In stead of looking at the job Capers & crew have done since 2002 and seeing that the plan is right on schedule.

:thud:

jagsfanincanada 12-28-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarg01
No, you were overrated before the season began (anyone remember the "this year's Panthers" talk?) and have remained overrated since.

And David Carr has been overrated since his first snap (anyone remember the "this is his breakout year" talk?), and has remained overrated since.

Hervoyel 12-28-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagsfanincanada
And David Carr has been overrated since his first snap (anyone remember the "this is his breakout year" talk?), and has remained overrated since.

Except of course when he's beating the spots off of the Jaguars right?

Sarg01 12-28-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagsfanincanada
And David Carr has been overrated since his first snap (anyone remember the "this is his breakout year" talk?), and has remained overrated since.

Umm ...

David Carr's stats
2002 HOU 16 16 233 444 52.5 2592 5.8 9 81 15 62.8
2003 HOU 12 11 167 295 56.6 2013 6.8 9 78 13 69.5
2004 HOU 15 15 271 442 61.3 3425 7.7 15 69 14 83.6

5% better completion rate, 900 more yards, 6 more TDs for the same number of INTs and 14 more points of passer rating is a pretty darn good improvement for the year.

His stats (completion %, TDs, passer rating) are nearly identical to media-golden-boy-Leftwich's apart from Carr getting nearly one full extra yard per attempt.

TheOgre 12-28-2004 01:47 PM

One of the reasons that we are not ranked higher is that we cannot beat good teams. The Jags (8-7) are the only team with a winning record that we have beaten all year. Even that will change if they lose to the Raiders. If we want respect, we need to finish off games like the ones against the Vikings, Packers, Chargers, and Colts (the home game). Those came down to the end and we blew it.

Fiddy 12-28-2004 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well you are really going to hate CBS's power rankings then:

Link

Somehow winning against a "better" team moved the Hags down from 8 to 13 AND moved the Texans down from 17 to 20. Yeah, that makes sense.

Doesnt surprise me. Prisco is from Florida and has been on the Jags bandwagon form the start of the season. He doesnt give any credit to a team that beats the Jags...

the wonger need food 12-28-2004 02:01 PM

I remember earlier in the year when they were ranked as high as 12 in the foxsports.com power ranking. Realistically, they are probably the 15 or 16th best team right now.

Hey Jagoff fan, shouldn't you be on the Raiders board annoying them this week? You guys just can't get beat down enough I guess.

TexansTrueFan 12-28-2004 02:15 PM

jags fans still talking mess, i mean come on havent they learned by now ? I wonder if their message board is as empty as their stadium, if so no wonder they hang around here :heh:

Porky 12-28-2004 02:24 PM

This kind of stuff is so subjective. I really don't think they are that far off really. I think the Ogre hit the nail on the head. We beat the bad teams, and with the exception of Jax, we got killed by the good teams for the most part. I think Jax rating should be mid teens, and I think the Texans around 17-21 makes sense. If the Texans want to be respected by the national media, they should think about shellacking a team like the Bolts. Respect must be earned.

jagsfanincanada 12-28-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Except of course when he's beating the spots off of the Jaguars right?

Domanick Davis, our shtty tackling and our shtty offense beat us. I'd hardly csll throwing for 130 yards and 2 picks beating the spots off us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarg01
Umm ...

David Carr's stats
2002 HOU 16 16 233 444 52.5 2592 5.8 9 81 15 62.8
2003 HOU 12 11 167 295 56.6 2013 6.8 9 78 13 69.5
2004 HOU 15 15 271 442 61.3 3425 7.7 15 69 14 83.6

5% better completion rate, 900 more yards, 6 more TDs for the same number of INTs and 14 more points of passer rating is a pretty darn good improvement for the year.

His stats (completion %, TDs, passer rating) are nearly identical to media-golden-boy-Leftwich's apart from Carr getting nearly one full extra yard per attempt.

If you want to call 15 tds to 14 ints a breakout season, you go right ahead.

Also, remember Leftwich is in his 2nd year, Carr his 3rd. Let's see what Leftwich does next year.

Fiddy 12-28-2004 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
jags fans still talking mess, i mean come on havent they learned by now ? I wonder if their message board is as empty as their stadium, if so no wonder they hang around here :heh:

No, people are at their board. They are talking about Reggie Williams being 21 years of age and thats why he is struggling and how Leftwich isnt as good as advertised. Mass hysteria. I love it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger