Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Cecil Saap (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54065)

beerlover 10-01-2008 10:42 AM

Cecil Saap

the newest Texan - http://www.houstontexans.com/team/pl...?player_id=371

another ex Bronco & Colorado State Ram graduate :thinking:

Rick Smith signing. Kubes had asked for help on special teams & Leach needed some rest/downtime. Cecil also could see some playing time in short yardage situations given to Chris Taylor who gets only limited carries, seems to get banged up easily & still has problems securing the rock. Cecil is strong in all these areas, very good with protecting the football, blocking & knows the system already.

FYI they also re-signed LB Kevis Coley who they cut when making the 52 man roster. I really liked what I saw from him in the pre-season a tackling machine that flies around the field with good speed.

AnthonyE 10-01-2008 10:51 AM

Re: Cecil Saap

I'm really liking both of these signings.

Runner 10-01-2008 10:58 AM

Sounds like he's all upside.

Too bad they couldn't pull the trigger on Cedric Benson though. They are thin at running back, and if Slaton gets hurt or proves to be a flash in the pan there is little behind him. They need a stronger between the tackles guy regardless.

BigBull17 10-01-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner (Post 1011522)
Sounds like he's all upside.

Too bad they couldn't pull the trigger on Cedric Benson though. They are thin at running back, and if Slaton gets hurt or proves to be a flash in the pan there is little behind him. They need a stronger between the tackles guy regardless.

Cedric Benson cant run inbetween the tackles at all. Or outside of them. Hes just a slow, weak running back. See also Ron Dayne with a drinking problem.

steelbtexan 10-01-2008 11:36 AM

Sapp can run between the tackles.

The added bonus is that he also can play a little FB & catches the ball well.

He is a HB-FB tweener.

He will be the best short yardage runner we've had in a while.

nero THE zero 10-01-2008 11:36 AM

Who did they cut to make room for Coley?

barrett 10-01-2008 11:39 AM

i would assume they IR'd C.C.

HOU-TEX 10-01-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nero THE zero (Post 1011575)
Who did they cut to make room for Coley?

They signed Coley to the practice squad and released TE Harris.

Sapp took C.C.'s place on the roster. CC was IR'd

Hopefully Sapp isn't Dayne part 2. :gun:

drewmar74 10-01-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett (Post 1011579)

Yeah, the ESPiN ticker showed him as done for the year so I reckon that's a safe assumption.

*edit

Far right side of the chronic page shows CC on the injury list with a notation that he has gone to the IR

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/

ChampionTexan 10-01-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett (Post 1011579)

No - that's how they made room for Sapp. Coley was put on the PS and Clark Harris (TE) was released to make room.

beerlover 10-01-2008 11:47 AM

official transaction wire-

Quote:

Placed S C.C. Brown on the reserve/injured list. Signed FB Cecil Sapp to the active roster. Released TE Clark Harris from the practice squad. Re-signed LB Kevis Coley to the practice squad.

Runner 10-01-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbtexan (Post 1011574)
Sapp can run between the tackles.

The added bonus is that he also can play a little FB & catches the ball well.

He is a HB-FB tweener.

He will be the best short yardage runner we've had in a while.

He's in his sixth season with 49 carries for 223 yards and 24 receptions for 102 yards. Sounds like a fullback, as he is listed.

He must be a special teams demon. Carrying two fullbacks seems a luxury for a team with other depth problems. Maybe there is another move in the works.

bah007 10-01-2008 11:49 AM

There goes all that talk from a week ago about Clark Harris being able to replace Bryan Pittman...

beerlover 10-01-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner (Post 1011593)
He's in his sixth season with 49 carries for 223 yards and 24 receptions for 102 yards. Sounds like a fullback, as he is listed.

He must be a special teams demon. Carrying two fullbacks seems a luxury for a team with other depth problems. Maybe there is another move in the works.

Kubiak mentioned Leach was beat up & needed some rest while special teams were down from the loss of CC Brown. also Shanahan choose Cecil over Cook a couple years ago & if Cook had not pulled his little stunt would probably still be with the Texans.

Runner 10-01-2008 12:23 PM

In the end, he looks good for the role of fullback/specal teamer if that was the need.

Specnatz 10-01-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner (Post 1011630)
In the end, he looks good for the role of fullback/specal teamer if that was the need.

After the last game you have to ask that question? I am just curious if he can read what the offense is doing and know to call a timeout.

The Pencil Neck 10-01-2008 12:44 PM

I'm happy with both of these. Vonta has been getting a lot of work and needs some rest. The Chris Taylor FB experiment is a failure. So getting a decent FB who is familiar with the system is a good thing. This allows Taylor to concentrate on RB and lord knows he needs to. Sapp can also play ST and should be a tough short yardage type of runner that we've been needing for years. Sapp should give us a run threat that we don't get with Vonta from that position.

And I'm really happy we got Kevis back. I really liked what he did in the preseason and I think he's got potential.

beerlover 10-01-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 1011655)
I'm happy with both of these. Vonta has been getting a lot of work and needs some rest. The Chris Taylor FB experiment is a failure. So getting a decent FB who is familiar with the system is a good thing. This allows Taylor to concentrate on RB and lord knows he needs to. Sapp can also play ST and should be a tough short yardage type of runner that we've been needing for years. Sapp should give us a run threat that we don't get with Vonta from that position.

And I'm really happy we got Kevis back. I really liked what he did in the preseason and I think he's got potential.

:goodpost:

leebigeztx 10-01-2008 12:59 PM

I always liked sapp. He's kinda shifty when he gets the ball. I think they should play allot more 1rb,3wr,1te sets or 2te,2wr,1rb sets to get the best personell on the field.

HOU-TEX 10-01-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck (Post 1011655)

I agree, PN. Leach has played alot on Special Teams too. IMO, he's been one of the few that have done well. Hopefully if Sapp is replacing him on ST, he performs as good if not better than Leach.