Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   A. Green Restructures Contract (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52993)

Tailgate 08-27-2008 10:51 PM

A. Green Restructures Contract

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5970987.html

Quote:

Texans running back Ahman Green has agreed to restructure his contract this season.

Green, who has not played since suffering a pulled goin muscle in the first preseason game, would have made a base salary of 3.8 million, and counting bonuses, could have made as much as 4.2 million.

Now, Green's base salary will be 1.8 million, which frees up 2 million in salary-cap dollars.

Wolf 08-27-2008 10:52 PM

Re: A. Green Restructures Contract

interesting move

Seņor Stan 08-27-2008 10:53 PM

Green restructures contract

Green restructures contract

Interesting....

Quote:

Green, who has not played since suffering a pulled goin muscle in the first preseason game, would have made a base salary of 3.8 million, and counting bonuses, could have made as much as 4.2 million.

Now, Green's base salary will be 1.8 million, which frees up 2 million in salary-cap dollars.

To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year. That means Green can make three million if he stay's healthy for every game.

By agreeing to restructure the second year of the four-year contract he signed in 2007, Green is showing that he believes he will be healthy this season.

Hervoyel 08-27-2008 10:54 PM

Ok, this tells me he's not going anywhere which is fine because we've got a season to run the young guys if Green can't go. I take my hat off to him for agreeing to do this however.

Revolution 08-27-2008 10:55 PM

Re: Green restructures contract

I was just about to post this. So what are we going to do with that $2 million?

Trap_Star 08-27-2008 10:55 PM

he knows this is his last shot.

Hervoyel 08-27-2008 10:56 PM

Re: Green restructures contract

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronicle article
To get Green to agree to redo his deal, the Texans are giving him $200,000 for every game in which he's active this season, starting with the second game of the year.

Nice way of announcing that Green won't be ready to go for week 1.

Vinny 08-27-2008 10:57 PM

restructured to avoid being cut

Revolution 08-27-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 983772)

You hit the nail on the head on this one. I think they let him know if he didn't restructure, he would be cut. No way would he have a chance at making jack anywhere else at this point.

texanfan2002114 08-27-2008 11:02 PM

It makes me wounder if the Texans restructed his contract to cut someone like a Weaver and they can accelerate the cap hit for this year, instead of partial this year and the rest next year.

Kaiser Toro 08-27-2008 11:03 PM

Classy move by a professional. We just need him to perform some classy moves on the field now.

In other news, Weaver continues to steal money.

Revolution 08-27-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro (Post 983778)

You got that right. Can we cut him already?

ATXtexanfan 08-27-2008 11:08 PM

Nice move by both sides, I say give the extra cash to demeco as a probowl bonus

281 08-27-2008 11:13 PM

i like this move a lot... it's about time he was given incentive to ACTUALLY play for us. i don't care how old you are, you should only hold a roster spot if you're actually going to contribute in some way, shape, or form.

BSofA04 08-27-2008 11:36 PM

Good move by Texans to recover some cash and give Ahman some incentive to stay healthy. Ahman is a terrible disappointment.

KEYE SUX 08-28-2008 12:18 AM

It is great that he realized that he A. was not worth the $$ he was getting B. was going to be cut. Hopefully this will give him back the FIRE to go out and play (unless he plays only hard enough to not get hurt) Sadly, I think this also means that Walker will be let go and our RB corps will be Green, Slaton, and Taylor.

The Pencil Neck 08-28-2008 12:28 AM

Personally, I think this says that Brown is gone.

I think it was great for Ahman to restructure and I think it was great for Smith to get him to do it. I'll be interested to see if anyone else follows suit.

mussop 08-28-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro (Post 983778)
Classy move by a professional. We just need him to perform some classy moves on the field now.

I doubt he had a choice. If he had refused he would of most likely been cut.

ObsiWan 08-28-2008 01:45 AM

Quote:

you nailed it.

which overpaid guy is next?
Weaver?
Greenwood?

bckey 08-28-2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Vinny you nailed it and it means Chris Brown is more than likely gone. Green knew that this would likely seal the deal so to speak as to which glass back to keep. Doesn't really matter to me because I'm excited about the Slaton/Taylor 1-2 punch.