Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   What is the Defense Missing? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52827)

Texanmike02 08-22-2008 09:30 PM

What is the Defense Missing?

OK. I've seen the fire Smith thread. I completely disagree. I think what we saw today, with relatively vanila offense vs relatively vanilla defense, is that we don't have the talent yet. Our DBs were HORRIBLE. Our LBS were slow and our DL was ineffective in the pass rush. In the preseason, that's not the coordinator. That's the players. The fact is we have several HUGE holes on this defense.

First, our CBs. With the exception of a few plays, the whole group looked awful. I know Romo had time to throw, but no one was effectively covered even from the start of several plays. Bennett has potential but I didn't see anyone else that resembled NFL coverage. DC can't do that, oh and you can't really blitz effectively if you can't cover.

Our LBs. Tackling was terrible all the way around. I love Ryans, but he looked flat tonight. Very flat. Diles had a decent game, but other than the interception, he was getting drug around too.

Our DL was decent against the run, but provided NO pass rush at all. Very few times was anyone close to Romo. I'm speaking of the first team because that's really what matters from this game.

This was a bad game all around by our defense but it doesn't lie at the DCs feet. This is the preseason, and this is vanilla vs vanilla. Its quite obvious that physically we can't (or failed to if we can) compete with them physically. If someone was out there dominating physically and we then turn in a horrible season, then you know its on the DC. We really need to find someone to rush the passer opposite MW. He was getting double teamed all night long and if he's doing that, hes done his job. He's occupying 2 blockers so we should have an advantage. I really don't know how you fix this.

Mike

pittbull3 08-22-2008 09:35 PM

Re: What is the Defense Missing?

Fire SMITH! This is the 3rd year that we have not seen anything creative fromm the scheme. You cannot rely on 4 guys to always get pressure, especially on a PRO BOWL dominated offensive line! Fire him on Monday!:foottap:

Carr Bombed 08-22-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

what is the defense missing?
balls!

Hervoyel 08-22-2008 10:16 PM

what is the defense missing?

A sense of purpose? Clear direction? A sense of urgency?

Ryan 08-22-2008 10:18 PM

They had no fire from the beginning of the game. They played like it was a preseason game. We'll have something to worry about if they play this way against the Steelers on opening day.

Thorn 08-22-2008 10:19 PM

What is the defense missing? A ****ing coach, that what's they're missing.

eriadoc 08-22-2008 10:21 PM

Without a pass rush, this secondary will continue to get exposed. The secondary is already not great, so it can ill afford to go without help from the front four. With what the team has invested in the front four, there is ZERO excuse for the pathetic pass rush that we saw tonight.

The LB corps needs work, but the expectations aren't as high, outside of Ryans. The secondary has a 4th round pick that we're all high on, a scrub that the Cowboys let go, and a handful of late round picks and journeymen. The D-Line consists of three 1st round picks, a free agent signing that more was expected of, and role players that have outplayed the starters some of the time.

Ckw 08-22-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 979999)
What is the defense missing? A ****ing coach, that what's they're missing.

Could someone direct me to the hire Frank Bush thread?

Lucky 08-22-2008 10:23 PM

I'd rather see young players like Cochran, Adibi, and Molden out there, instead of vets who just don't have it. I'm tired of waiting for guys like Weaver to live up to their contract. I don't care if the young guys make mistakes. As long as they do it running.

Smith has a couple of games to get this together. I've seen coordinators replaced during the season. Right here in Houston.

markn 08-22-2008 10:24 PM

Incorrect punctuation in the thread title:

What... is the defense missing?

To which the answer is clearly: yes.

I've felt optimistic all throughout the summer, but after watching all three pre-season games, it looks like we're going nowhere. This defense cannot get us to the play-offs, plain and simple.

J-Russ 08-22-2008 10:25 PM

A coach that has a clue, and experience is what their missing. Our defense is young, but boy I hope they have short memory, cause I don't want them to remember anything that R.Smith taught them.

Wolf 08-22-2008 10:27 PM

http://www.peoplejam.com/files/u1811/brass_balls.jpg

ChrisG 08-22-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 980024)

what is this defense missing? some of those ^

and a skilled 2ndary...i am extremely pissed with our def :bat:

New_Texans 08-22-2008 10:30 PM

A pass rush (other than Williams of course)

and Dunta.

eriadoc 08-22-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG (Post 980027)
what is this defense missing? some of those ^

and a skilled 2ndary...i am extremely pissed with our def :bat:

With as long as Romo had to throw tonight, I don't think a tandem of Deion and Champ Bailey would have helped much.

I'm probably exaggerating, but damn, I'm frustrated with this complete lack of a pass rush EVERY SINGLE F^%$&* YEAR!

buddyboy 08-22-2008 10:32 PM

The D-line was getting zero pressure, the D-backs were leaving Terrell-freakin-Owens wide open in the middle of the field, running into each other, etc etc, and the linebackers just seemed slow. Marion Barber got 5+ yards every carry without even trying until finally one of the safeties or dbacks got him. And the tackling was unbelievable. Who saw Bennet get punked by the wide reciever on a run after the catch. And I literally saw one of our DBs miss a tackle on a guy who just got up off the turf.

Sad.

Wolf 08-22-2008 10:32 PM

thing is if it is "vanilla" versus "vanilla" we should be winning the battles up front, if not this game but the other games we have played

if I am not mistaken, schemes help you hide the weaknesses

eriadoc 08-22-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyboy (Post 980044)
The D-line was getting zero pressure, the D-backs were leaving Terrell-freakin-Owens wide open in the middle of the field, running into each other, etc etc, and the linebackers just seemed slow. Marion Barber got 5+ yards every carry without even trying until finally one of the safeties or dbacks got him. And the tackling was unbelievable. Who saw Bennet get punked by the wide reciever on a run after the catch. And I literally saw one of our DBs miss a tackle on a guy who just got up off the turf.

Sad.

Yeah, exactly. Other than that, they played well.

:brickwall:

The1ApplePie 08-22-2008 10:36 PM

Two words

Rey Maualuga

76Texan 08-22-2008 10:57 PM

The Cowboys front seven was supposed to be very active and strong?
They brought more to the LOS than us and they didn't get squat done!

Let's keep the expectation down, folks!