Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits Friday (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52095)

DiehardChris 07-30-2008 05:21 PM

Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits Friday
 
Per Rotoworld.

brakos82 07-30-2008 05:22 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Another Denver dude... :wild:

NBT 07-30-2008 05:26 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
I don't think Chris Brown has much to fear from Mike Bell, but I do wish he would get off his ass and start practicing instead of doping off on the sideline with back spasms. He won't shed his nickname of "glassman" doing that.

DiehardChris 07-30-2008 05:32 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NBT (Post 962389)
I don't think Chris Brown has much to fear from Mike Bell, but I do wish he would get off his ass and start practicing instead of doping off on the sideline with back spasms. He won't shed his nickname of "glassman" doing that.

So you're saying they're just bringing Bell in to motivate Brown? It's not like they can sign Bell without cutting someone. The roster is at 80, and that can't change unless there's some rule I don't know about.

So, if Bell shows up and looks great - I think Brown might actually have something to fear.

Silver Oak 07-30-2008 05:33 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
I think Walker should be more concerned...despite his good showing in camp to this point.

Thorn 07-30-2008 05:34 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NBT (Post 962389)
I don't think Chris Brown has much to fear from Mike Bell, but I do wish he would get off his ass and start practicing instead of doping off on the sideline with back spasms. He won't shed his nickname of "glassman" doing that.

This should be expected from signing anyone with a history of injuries. Chris Brown does have talent, but if he can't stay upright what difference does it make?

Bell has done time at FB and RB in the ZBS, so I imagine that's why they want to take a look at him.

ChampionTexan 07-30-2008 05:43 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 962400)
This should be expected from signing anyone with a history of injuries. Chris Brown does have talent, but if he can't stay upright what difference does it make?

Bell has done time at FB and RB in the ZBS, so I imagine that's why they want to take a look at him.

It was said earlier in this thread - Bell's time at FB for the Bronco's wasn't chock full of success by anyone's definition, and after a shoulder injury, his game in total was pretty ineffective.

I don't see Bell making this team if they bring him in, but if he's an able body, that in itself may give him an edge over Chris Brown right now!

DiehardChris 07-30-2008 05:44 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Oak (Post 962398)
I think Walker should be more concerned...despite his good showing in camp to this point.

Nah, that would set a horrible precedent. There's no way they'd cut Walker at this early stage in favor of Mike Bell, especially with Brown hurt. If all the RBs were healthy and practicing, and they brought Bell in - then I would agree Walker might be the one in more trouble... but the coaches wouldn't slap DW in the face like that. Not six days in.

The only other thing I guess would be if the Texans knew they were going to cut a certain player at a different position - and don't think that they have to bring in another position to fill the void... for example - safety. I think we have seven right now. They could probably cut one without having to bring in another.

Thorn 07-30-2008 05:53 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 962405)
It was said earlier in this thread - Bell's time at FB for the Bronco's wasn't chock full of success by anyone's definition, and after a shoulder injury, his game in total was pretty ineffective.

I don't see Bell making this team if they bring him in, but if he's an able body, that in itself may give him an edge over Chris Brown right now!

Yeah, pretty much. Bell is just getting a look see in case something horrible happens later.

Tejasman 07-30-2008 07:07 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
I do not think GK/RS would bring in anybody that they did not think had a chance to improve the team.

Remember Mike Bell beat out Tatom Bell his rookie year.

I think that WR is also a possible cut back to make room for an additional RB.:jogger:

Vinny 07-30-2008 07:12 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
to me this is just a sign that they aren't totally happy with their backs (the Texans are looking at a "group" of RB's - per rotoworld). If I had to guess, Brown is the player most on the hot seat. It may be unfair to Brown since he is supposedly injured but he looked old and slow when I got a peek at him.

aj. 07-30-2008 07:23 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=22

DiehardChris 07-30-2008 07:29 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejasman (Post 962470)
I do not think GK/RS would bring in anybody that they did not think had a chance to improve the team.

Remember Mike Bell beat out Tatom Bell his rookie year.

I think that WR is also a possible cut back to make room for an additional RB.:jogger:

Good call - we have 10 WRs and will probably only carry 4. Probably more likely to drop one of them than a safety.

aj. 07-30-2008 07:39 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardChris (Post 962484)
...will probably only carry 4.

Really?

Carried 5 into Week 1 last year (plus 4 TEs).

Why is this year going to be different?

Specnatz 07-30-2008 08:02 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardChris (Post 962484)
Good call - we have 10 WRs and will probably only carry 4. Probably more likely to drop one of them than a safety.

You have 4 QBs in camp and you need WR for them to throw to.

DiehardChris 07-30-2008 08:35 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj. (Post 962488)
Really?

Carried 5 into Week 1 last year (plus 4 TEs).

Why is this year going to be different?

Did they not carry 4 WRs for the vast majority of the year last year?

DiehardChris 07-30-2008 08:38 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specnatz (Post 962499)
You have 4 QBs in camp and you need WR for them to throw to.

So you think it's more likely that they'd cut Brown in favor of Bell if Kubiak likes what he sees?

ObsiWan 07-30-2008 08:51 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardChris (Post 962511)
Did they not carry 4 WRs for the vast majority of the year last year?

I believe the times we dropped down to only 4 WRs, it was because AJ was on IR or JJ didn't dress out due to his shoulder.
I think we started out with AJ, AD, Mathis (soon cut), JJ, and KW.

dalemurphy 07-30-2008 09:10 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 962477)
to me this is just a sign that they aren't totally happy with their backs (the Texans are looking at a "group" of RB's - per rotoworld). If I had to guess, Brown is the player most on the hot seat. It may be unfair to Brown since he is supposedly injured but he looked old and slow when I got a peek at him.



I think they're happy with the group but certainly not with Brown. I think Brown will be gone by next weekend, judging by the way Kubiak talks about the situation and his body language and tone.

I think they are determined to be solid at RB no matter what happens this year. Partially because of Green's age and injury history, I think they've pre-determined to hit the season with 4 quality RBs and hopefully Walker on the practice squad. Mike Bell, if he works out well, would essentially be replacing CBrown, IMO.

aj. 07-30-2008 09:20 PM

Re: Look out Chris Brown. FA RB Mike Bell visits tomorrow.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardChris (Post 962511)
Did they not carry 4 WRs for the vast majority of the year last year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 962514)
I believe the times we dropped down to only 4 WRs, it was because AJ was on IR or JJ didn't dress out due to his shoulder.
I think we started out with AJ, AD, Mathis (soon cut), JJ, and KW.


They carried 5 for the vast majority of the season last year and 6 for at least 3 games in the middle of AJ's inactive status and after Jacoby went down. Never 4. \

Four active and 1 or 2 inactive for some games, yes, but I'm talking roster spots (which I think you were too). 'Carry' means on the 53 to me. And in that case 5 is kinda normal for Kubiak.

AJ wasn't on IR. That means gone for the season. He was on the 53 but on inactive game status for whatever amount of games that was....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger