Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why the Texans need Derrick Johnson (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5153)

ComstockLode 12-15-2004 03:44 PM

Why the Texans need Derrick Johnson
 
The Texans defense is the main weakness of this team in my opinion.

Domanick Davis has come around, and David Carr is just in a slump, playing against some great teams the past 3 games. I think our offense will improve in many areas next year. Obviously we need to improve the LT position also, but I feel like that can be done in free agency.

Our defense is missing one thing that makes any defense great. A playmaker.

Our secondary improves every game, and our defense gets better every game, except for: Run Defense and Sacks

Our Dline is old, but they arent supposed to make plays. They are supposed to take up blockers in the 3-4 scheme. The linebackers are the key. And our linebacker play has been garbage this year.

Sharper gets an abundance of tackles, but he is not a franchise linebacker. Wong is average. Babin is approaching average. Sharper is above average, and whoever we stick beside him is below average.

This makes for a very average defense, that needs a defensive playmaker. Having witnessed Derrick Johnson firsthand, he is an unbelievable defensive talent. He will run a 4.5 forty, has the confidence you need in a LB, but is a good person.

Reminds me of Andre Johnson on the offensive side of the ball, is Derrick Johnson on the Defensive side. Johnson would be a great pass rusher, and would make plays all over the field. He forces fumbles and is great in pass coverage.

Bottomline, I think he is the best player in this draft. That is obviously my opinon, but having met this 6'4" 235 pound beast that is as fast as most running backs is scary. He singlehandedly kept Texas in the OU with the plays he was making all over the field.

Wondering what yalls thoughts on this is. He would fit in with the Texans personality perfect. An intense player who is very low key off of the field.

TheOgre 12-15-2004 04:12 PM

He will be a top 5 player. If we end up 5-11 we could reasonably trade up and get him. If we win one more game, I don't see us having a reasonable shot at him.

WWJD 12-15-2004 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOgre
He will be a top 5 player. If we end up 5-11 we could reasonably trade up and get him. If we win one more game, I don't see us having a reasonable shot at him.


I agree. I think he'll go very high in the draft with multiple teams trying to move up to draft him. And if he has a killer Rose Bowl his stock will only increase.

infantrycak 12-15-2004 04:52 PM

Any chance we can just dredge up all the Sean Taylor posts from last year and search and replace for Derrick Johnson?

OK that was half a joke.

The one significant difference is that the cap arguments are much better for making such a move for a LB (in the top ten will get a contract among the highest paid LB's) than they are for a safety (in the top ten will get a contract almost $2 mil per year over the franchise tag number).

Fiddy 12-15-2004 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infantrycak
Any chance we can just dredge up all the Sean Taylor posts from last year and search and replace for Derrick Johnson?

LOL, thats the first thing that popped into my head...

nunusguy 12-15-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComstockLode
The Texans defense is the main weakness of this team in my opinion.

You must not have seen the Indy game Sunday.

astrofan 12-15-2004 05:54 PM

Comstock

you'll notice that none of these jokers are refuting your statements except for saying that our D is not a weakness :shocked
DJ would be great, but it costs quite a bit to move up
according to foolballcorner.bizland.com
1 overall is worth about 3000
2 overall is worth about 2600
3 overall is worth about 2200
4 overall is worth about 1800
5 overall is worth about 1700

if we pick between 10-15

10 1300
11 1250
12 1200
13 1150
14 1100
15 1050

that's a big gap to make up
I think he would be a perfect pick for us but in reality it would be tempting to trade down and get at least another first day pick
when I am looking through guys that are draft eligible, I realize that there are a bunch of very good football players out there
it would be tough to give up a shot at building up some deth two years in a row

BradK10 12-15-2004 06:08 PM

some draft productions have him slipping to around 15 because of his inability to take on blocks

Blake 12-15-2004 06:30 PM

He will be a top 10 pick no doubt. I dont see him slipping past a team with the #10 pick, even if they have more pressing needs. While I would love to get him, I think I like the idea of droping down to around 20, and getting an extra 2nd.

1. Marcus Spears
2. Vernand Morency
2. Carlos Rogers

Oh yeah, that would be nice...*drool*

STEEL BLUE TEXANS 12-15-2004 06:43 PM

I'd rather stay where we are in the draft and take Ahmad Brooks. JMO

texansfan88 12-15-2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
He will be a top 10 pick no doubt. I dont see him slipping past a team with the #10 pick, even if they have more pressing needs. While I would love to get him, I think I like the idea of droping down to around 20, and getting an extra 2nd.

1. Marcus Spears
2. Vernand Morency
2. Carlos Rogers

Oh yeah, that would be nice...*drool*

why would you want Morency? He's a joke and is not well liked by his teammates, considered lazy, and doesn't have a good work ethic

Blake 12-15-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texansfan88
why would you want Morency? He's a joke and is not well liked by his teammates, considered lazy, and doesn't have a good work ethic

Did you read that somewhere?

Vernand Morency: 2004
Games - Att - Yards - YPC - YDS/G - TD
10 - 250 - 1454 - 5.8 - 145.4 - 12

And that average isnt just against bad teams. He had a 100 yard game, and a 5.0 ypc average against the horns, and 93 yards with a 5.3 ypc average against the sooners. When he gets the ball, he gets his yards.

astrofan 12-15-2004 09:10 PM

if you watched the Red Raiders shut him down then you would know that he ain't got nothing
the cowgirls run the ball well over 75% of the time
if vernand is a first day pick, BigPlay&Bobo're first rounders

Bobo: 4200+yards 65+%completion 29 TDs 380+yds/game
BigPlay: 69catches 870+yds 12.6ypc
vernand: 1400+yds 5.8ypc 12TDs

TT 591 pass attempts 272 rushes
OSU 166 pass attempts 564 rushes

Gomer sez: itz a system, itz a system

astrofan 12-15-2004 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Did you read that somewhere?

Vernand Morency: 2004
Games - Att - Yards - YPC - YDS/G - TD
10 - 250 - 1454 - 5.8 - 145.4 - 12

And that average isnt just against bad teams. He had a 100 yard game, and a 5.0 ypc average against the horns, and 93 yards with a 5.3 ypc average against the sooners. When he gets the ball, he gets his yards.

I'm really overwhelmed by the 108 yards and 4.7 avg against Tech
take out the four carries for 59 yds thanks to DC Satanich
that leaves 19 carries for 49 yards 2.5ypc

did you read that somewhere? :BananaWav

beerlover 12-15-2004 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
I'd rather stay where we are in the draft and take Ahmad Brooks. JMO

he is a junior not declared yet for early entry (as far as I know). if you want to include eligible underclassman Chowder would be a better fit for the Texans because he is also a prolific run stopper, can shed tackles thru the middle or come off the corner. he could be the trigger switch that Cappers 3-4 needs to control the ground attack, 3rd down conversion rate & increase our sack ratio. as long as were dreaming, dream big. Texans style :excited:

astrofan 12-16-2004 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover
he is a junior not declared yet for early entry (as far as I know). if you want to include eligible underclassman

is there a reliable updated list of declaring underclassmen
I see some but they are usually not very current
thanks in advance

TexansCanes 12-16-2004 02:24 AM

Quote:

Reminds me of Andre Johnson on the offensive side of the ball, is Derrick Johnson on the Defensive side. Johnson would be a great pass rusher, and would make plays all over the field. He forces fumbles and is great in pass coverage.
i don't really know what that means. that is not the right comparison anyway. if you want to compare DJ to anyone on the miami team it would be McGahee. i think your comparison is that when ever a big play is made, DJ has something to do with it. when miami needed a big play they went to willis, maybe i'm wrong. remember andre was never the focus point of the offense, althought ken did start to look more to him during his junior season. also you are just stating the obvious by saying that we need DJ. i think everyone one the board has said that some way.

Quote:

OSU 166 pass attempts 564 rushes
that stat right their shows why his numbers were good. everyone and their mothers knew that the cowboys were going to run the ball. woods didn't scare anyone, so they wouldn't defend the pass. also, wasn't vernand hurt during the season, i think it was his hamstring?

I do miss the 20 topics about how we should/shouldn't draft Sean!

TheOgre 12-16-2004 08:11 AM

How many of those "Trade up for Sean Taylor" posters are upset we "settled" for Dunte now?

Beastlyman2003 12-16-2004 09:16 AM

i really dont think that carlos rogers will fall into the 3rd round

infantrycak 12-16-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOgre
How many of those "Trade up for Sean Taylor" posters are upset we "settled" for Dunte now?

Some of them were so disgusted that Taylor wasn't taken they quit the MB.

In any event, just for giggles, for a comparison:

What the Texans did:
#10 Dunta Robinson
#27 Jason Babin
#122 Glenn Earl

What they might have done:
#10+#40 for #5--not sure this would have been acceptable to the Redskins, but it is a slight premium for them.
#5 Sean Taylor
#71 Randy Starks--same choice TN made
#103 Nathan Vasher--TN took Bo Schobel who doesn't fit the Texans


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger