Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Where do you rank our WRs? (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51234)

TheRealJoker 06-21-2008 02:54 PM

Where do you rank our WRs?
 
I've noticed this offseason that some people think our WRs are among the best in the league as a unit. But i've also noticed just as many people think that outside of AJ we are thin at WR due to lack of a true # 1 and some may even say true # 2 WRs.

Are some Texans fans overrating the WRs outside of AJ? I'm positive that has happened, goes with the territory of being a Homer for your team.

Are some "NFL" fans underrating this unit? I think that's true as well. Sure Walter/Davis aren't # 1 WR threats, but I think both are capable # 2 WRs even though they hadn't shown it in their career's up until last season around the time AJ got injured.

What's more I think we've got a nice project player in Jacoby who may turn out being a stud opposite of AJ at # 2. Throw in a solid posession guy like David Anderson and that looks like a pretty solid unit.

I rank our WRs # 6 in the league right now. The Pats, Colts, Bengals (with Ocho), Packers and Cardinals have an edge imo but I think by the end of this season they will break the top 5. This, to me, is our strongest unit and I couldn't believe I actually took the time to argue with Cowboy fans at work who thought the Texans needed to draft a WR in the 1st round!!!

ObsiWan 06-21-2008 03:47 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJoker (Post 941599)
I've noticed this offseason that some people think our WRs are among the best in the league as a unit. But i've also noticed just as many people think that outside of AJ we are thin at WR due to lack of a true # 1 and some may even say true # 2 WRs.

Are some Texans fans overrating the WRs outside of AJ? I'm positive that has happened, goes with the territory of being a Homer for your team.

Are some "NFL" fans underrating this unit? I think that's true as well. Sure Walter/Davis aren't # 1 WR threats, but I think both are capable # 2 WRs even though they hadn't shown it in their career's up until last season around the time AJ got injured.

What's more I think we've got a nice project player in Jacoby who may turn out being a stud opposite of AJ at # 2. Throw in a solid posession guy like David Anderson and that looks like a pretty solid unit.

I rank our WRs # 6 in the league right now. The Pats, Colts, Bengals (with Ocho), Packers and Cardinals have an edge imo but I think by the end of this season they will break the top 5. This, to me, is our strongest unit and I couldn't believe I actually took the time to argue with Cowboy fans at work who thought the Texans needed to draft a WR in the 1st round!!!

let's hope Jacoby can make steady progress like Reggie Wayne has - he only caught 27 passes for 345 yds and no TDs his rookie year. The next year he upped his totals to 49/716/4. His catches have increased every year he's been in the league. If JJ can make continuous progress like that, and AJ and KW stay healthy we'll have a WR corps that can match up with any in the league.

Given that our offense is run-first and at least three of those teams are pass-first - four if you count the Pack - that run 3-wide sets much more than we do, I don't see us putting up the passing numbers they will. That doesn't mean our guys aren't as good, its just that our offense isn't designed to put up gaudy receiving numbers.

Also, it remains to be seen if Rodgers will be as effective as Favre in using that young receiving talent. The Pack may drop out of the top five themselves.

Insideop 06-21-2008 04:34 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJoker (Post 941599)
What's more I think we've got a nice project player in Jacoby who may turn out being a stud opposite of AJ at # 2. Throw in a solid posession guy like David Anderson and that looks like a pretty solid unit.

You know, I've been pulling for Anderson since we drafted him in the 7th round in the 06 Draft. At the time, I didn't know why they drafted him or what they saw in him. He's short and slow, but he had good stats at Colorado St. He's had his share of ups and downs with the team and was even cut last year, but he keeps bouncing back and finding a way to stick with the team. Now with Mathis gone, I think it might open the door a little more for him and I'm hoping he he makes the most of it.

As for the WR unit as a whole, I think you are probably pretty close in your assessment. But, I think we have a chance to move up that list even if we don't get as many yards catching as some of the other pass 1st teams. A lot will hinge on our running game and how quickly they take to Gibbs ZB scheme. As I said before in other post, I think the first 5 games will tell us alot about where this team is headed for the season. JMHO!

pappy 06-21-2008 05:21 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Well Joker i am in the camp that believes outside of AJ we do not have much . All that Walter and company can do is be spot warmers till we can find a true wide out not a possession guy but a homerun hitter . Possession guys are the running backs and tightends or the slot receivers wide outs are supposed to be burners . just my :twocents:

FILOMAN 06-21-2008 06:43 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
I believe that we can have one of the BEST WR Corps. in the league if JJ can step up and be a real #2 like TJ in Cinn. IF and that is a BBBBBIIIIIIIGGGG If we can do that we can have AJ and JJ and use KW and AD in the slot and that would work perfect. Then you would also have Slaton the next Brian Westbrook or so we hope in the backfield WOW!!!! Who could match up with that???

IlliniJen 06-21-2008 06:56 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
I'm of the opinion that we have a well-rounded WR core, and we saw last year that these guys have the ability to step up when needed.

The wild card, as many have stated, is JJ. If he can regain his confidence, which I think he lost a little last year after his injury, he can quickly make a big impact and step into that #2 role.

ATXtexanfan 06-21-2008 07:27 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
hard to argue with #6 ranking, jones has the most potential to be dangerous and is the key. the group was productive last year without a run game and alternating QB's though.

ObsiWan 06-21-2008 07:31 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pappy (Post 941618)
Well Joker i am in the camp that believes outside of AJ we do not have much . All that Walter and company can do is be spot warmers till we can find a true wide out not a possession guy but a homerun hitter . Possession guys are the running backs and tightends or the slot receivers wide outs are supposed to be burners . just my :twocents:

With Davis on one side and A.J. on the other, we have two burners, three actually, if Jacoby rounds into shape. But as I said earlier, our offense, to this point, has been run-first.

But maybe young Shanahan will open things up. Do you guys think that he will?

ATXtexanfan 06-21-2008 07:38 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
i hope shanahan opens things up for us fantasy homers

Goldensilence 06-21-2008 11:56 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsiWan (Post 941633)
With Davis on one side and A.J. on the other, we have two burners, three actually, if Jacoby rounds into shape. But as I said earlier, our offense, to this point, has been run-first.

But maybe young Shanahan will open things up. Do you guys think that he will?

While it will primarily be a run first team during Kubiak's years in Denver Smith and McCaffery did pull off dual 100 reception seasons.

I think we have a very well rounded WR corps that fits what this offense wants to do. If it runs right it looks to me like we'll be a well balanced team that'll give defenses problems overall. We might not have the one on one matchup that gives DC's nightmares outside of AJ but overall it'll be do you try to stack the box to stop the run and try and take our WRs on or keep it over the top and let hopefully a revamped running game slowly get to you.

JJ's development is interesting but Slaton's role in the passing game could be just as much fun to watch.

PHAROAH 06-22-2008 12:41 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
If Jacoby Jones take that next step and becomes a serious #2 wr and if Andre stay healthy for the entire season look out top 5.

Maddict5 06-22-2008 07:12 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
lions are better, we're on par with a few others aswell

whiskeyrbl 06-22-2008 07:32 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
I will go with your assesment that #6 is where we are. It is just so hard to figure with all the injuries and practically no running game. If all the cards fall right and our team develops a good ground game and they stay healthy at all positions the sky is the limit. I also think JJ is the wild card here. :fans:

D-Frank 06-22-2008 11:41 PM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
i agree witch' ya on the #6. lions sure are close though

Vinny 06-23-2008 09:22 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJoker (Post 941599)
I've noticed this offseason that some people think our WRs are among the best in the league as a unit. But i've also noticed just as many people think that outside of AJ we are thin at WR due to lack of a true # 1 and some may even say true # 2 WRs.

Are some Texans fans overrating the WRs outside of AJ? I'm positive that has happened, goes with the territory of being a Homer for your team.

Are some "NFL" fans underrating this unit? I think that's true as well. Sure Walter/Davis aren't # 1 WR threats, but I think both are capable # 2 WRs even though they hadn't shown it in their career's up until last season around the time AJ got injured.

What's more I think we've got a nice project player in Jacoby who may turn out being a stud opposite of AJ at # 2. Throw in a solid posession guy like David Anderson and that looks like a pretty solid unit.

I rank our WRs # 6 in the league right now. The Pats, Colts, Bengals (with Ocho), Packers and Cardinals have an edge imo but I think by the end of this season they will break the top 5. This, to me, is our strongest unit and I couldn't believe I actually took the time to argue with Cowboy fans at work who thought the Texans needed to draft a WR in the 1st round!!!

our WR1 is one of the top players at his position and when he went out Davis, and Walters proved they can move the chains in '07. I think most fans perceive AJ's supporting cast of WR's as "solid" since they proved themselves competent last year with no real running game and dealing with musical QB's. I think that last year's group was unproven...but they did enough last year to be on the radar of your typical NFL fan this season.

Texanmike02 06-23-2008 09:35 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
I bet if you polled 32 fans from 32 teams, you would find about 16 of them thought their receivers were in the top 5. Its funny that we dismiss Marvin as done because he didn't have his typical year, but we assume that everything will come together for our team to have a top 5-7 WR corps. I'm not saying the potential isn't there, don't get me wrong. But its kind of like in the prediction thread, someone kept saying this game is winable and then marking it a win. If they are winable, that doesn't mean they are an automatic win. In fact I think it signifies that you have a shot but probably aren't the favorite.

I think if I were going in today, I'd take us somewhere in the 6-10 range... I can't say where for sure because we really have a lot of unknowns. Was AD a flash in the pan? Does JJ turn it back around? Does Walter stay Mccaffrey like? We've seen one solid year out of these guys and we're ready to put ourselves in the top 5? I'm not ready to do that. AJ is really the ONLY sure thing in our WR corps and I don't think that a team with 2 ?'s gets to put themselves in the top 5 by default.

Mike

Vinny 06-23-2008 09:37 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike (Post 942022)
I bet if you polled 32 fans from 32 teams, you would find about 16 of them thought their receivers were in the top half. Its funny that we dismiss Marvin as done because he didn't have his typical year, but we assume that everything will come together for our team to have a top 5-7 WR corps.

Marvin is heading to year 13 and has lost a step. He's still good but he isn't the best WR on his team anymore.

SOLIS 06-23-2008 09:48 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny (Post 942011)
our WR1 is one of the top players at his position and when he went out Davis, and Walters proved they can move the chains in '07. I think most fans perceive AJ's supporting cast of WR's as "solid" since they proved themselves competent last year with no real running game and dealing with musical QB's. I think that last year's group was unproven...but they did enough last year to be on the radar of your typical NFL fan this season.

Right on. The 'supporting cast' was solid last year. In particular, I liked what I saw from Andre Davis. Kick returns aside, he was money on the long ball. Sliding in for AJ, Davis averaged 17.7 yards a reception, which was good for 4th in the league for players with 20+ receptions. He was .1 yard short of being tied w/ Joey Galloway for third.

With his new contract and a year's worth of playbook familiarization under his belt, I can see Davis being a big contributor to the Texans offense. Line him up in the slot and you can test nickel dbs/safeties all day long...

ChampionTexan 06-23-2008 11:01 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanmike (Post 942022)
Its funny that we dismiss Marvin as done because he didn't have his typical year, but we assume that everything will come together for our team to have a top 5-7 WR corps.
Mike

When you're a WR who:
  • Is going to be 36 at the start of the upcoming season
  • Missed 11 games in the previous season because of a knee
  • Went from Questionable to Out on the injury reports even though you hadn't played or practiced for several weeks
  • Came back for a playoff game and couldn't make it past the half
  • Is possibly going to start the upcoming season on the PUP list even though you've had seven months to recover
I don't think considering the possibility that there may be a permanent decrease in your productivity is simply dismissing a year as "non-typical".

I'm a huge Harrison fan - he's classy, and everything that guys like T.O. and Moss aren't, but it's hard to ignore the reasons why his year wasn't typical.

SOLIS 06-23-2008 11:15 AM

Re: Where do you rank our WRs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 942084)
When you're a WR who:

I'm a huge Harrison fan - he's classy, and everything that guys like T.O. and Moss aren't, but it's hard to ignore the reasons why his year wasn't typical.

Did anyone else have a "is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b****" moment when they found out Marvin was linked to a nightclub shooting?

Speaking of choking...
Quote:

Off the field, Harrison was sued after the 2005 Pro Bowl when three boys accused him of attacking them when they tried to get his autograph. The suit alleged Harrison "violently and physically attacked" the minors, including placing a "potentially deadly choke hold" on one of the boys, but it was later dismissed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger