Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Alex Brink (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50617)

beerlover 05-27-2008 09:42 AM

Alex Brink
 
fan club sign-up

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4340

10. Is there something interesting about you that maybe fans dont know?

I like to play golf. But Im definitely not as good as I would like to be.

back in the day when I was on the golf team, I played golf with another Sheldon QB who went into the NFL, Chris Miller. the best athlete I ever played golf with however was Danny Ainge, nothing he couldn't do @ a high level. So its good to see Alex carrying on the tradition :)

beerlover 05-29-2008 01:58 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
or you could invest $72 million with $34.75 million in guaranteed money like Atlanta did with Matt Ryan. http://www.ketv.com/nfl/16342254/detail.html

I'd love to caddy a match between Brink & Ryan. as a matter of fact some Network could get the brilliant idea :lightbulb: to pull a QB from every team to set-up a 32 man bracket 9 holes made for tv elimination tournament (instead of all this off season garbage they serve) with the earnings helping out some Charitable organizations. I would watch that, imagine Romo vs McNabb or Brady vs. Manning. Who is the best NFL QB Golfer? I seem to remember a certain GM setting up a tee time between Matt Schaub & Gary Kubiack, the rest they say is history :)

Second Honeymoon 05-29-2008 02:14 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerlover (Post 925640)
fan club sign-up

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4340

10. Is there something interesting about you that maybe fans dont know?

I like to play golf. But Im definitely not as good as I would like to be.

back in the day when I was on the golf team, I played golf with another Sheldon QB who went into the NFL, Chris Miller. the best athlete I ever played golf with however was Danny Ainge, nothing he couldn't do @ a high level. So its good to see Alex carrying on the tradition :)

yeah Ainge was a good baseball player as well. i believe he was drafted early by the Blue Jays back in the day. He also has turned around a franchise and has them one win away from the NBA Finals with Boston....he can thank Kevin McHale for that though. McHale practically gave him Garnett. Those old celtic ties.

I hope Brink ends up as our 3rd QB. Hopefully he has more ability and upside than ZMan.

Xetuoh1836 05-29-2008 03:11 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Nice read from a blogger at Battle Red Blog (BRB):

http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/...nk-on-the-edge

Kid has alot of up sides and fits the Texans and who they look for. 27 on the Wunderlich vs. 6 means an intellegent QB to groom...:shades:

Texan_Bill 05-29-2008 04:43 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon (Post 927662)
I hope Brink ends up as our 3rd QB. Hopefully he has more ability and upside than ZMan.

Just curious SH,

Who do you wanna try and deal to make him #3? Rosenfels or Gray??

Thorn 05-29-2008 05:01 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Unless Sage or Gray is traded, this guy is either cut or on the pratice squad. If he's on the practice squad, and has this much upside to him, someone will sign him away from us. Either way, I don't think Schaub, Sage, Gray, and Brink will all be with us at the end of this coming season.

Texan_Bill 05-29-2008 05:09 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorn (Post 927846)
Unless Sage or Gray is traded, this guy is either cut or on the pratice squad. If he's on the practice squad, and has this much upside to him, someone will sign him away from us. Either way, I don't think Schaub, Sage, Gray, and Brink will all be with us at the end of this coming season.

Right!!!.. That was my point -or- the point of my question to SH...

Hervoyel 05-29-2008 05:10 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Schaub starts of course. Then Sage either gets traded around the start of training camp (I'm NEVER going to give that up so just let it go people) OR Sage is our #2 going into the season. Gray is going to get beat out of the 3rd spot by Brink.

Maybe.

threetoedpete 05-29-2008 07:21 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Well I still don't know why so many posters have their panties in a bunch over the pick. If this head coach wants to indulge himself a young QB...who the heck am I to complain bout it. I mean you going to cross swords with the guy who worked with Elway for eighteen years ? Considering where we were four short years ago pretty nice problem to have...what the heck do we do with the extra QB ? We got three we know for a fact can play.

If Quinn or Sage gets injured pre-season, we're not in bind. And who's to say he doesn't develop into the next Tom Brady ? It's happened before.

Polo 05-29-2008 08:39 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
I actually like Brink as a ball player...

From the little I've seen of him I was impressed...

I think he'll end up practice Squad, but I expect that he'll be the back up of the future...

mexican_texan 05-30-2008 01:22 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Alex Brink is the best QB the Texans have had since Quinton Porter, who has since gone on to have a successful career as an MI-6 agent.

adam 05-30-2008 05:35 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
If I had to see any of our QBs go, I would prefer it be Gray. The only time I have seen him shine was against our (injury ridden) secondary, which isn't saying a whole lot. In other contests, he looked horrible. I wonder if there would be any saps out there that would fork over a 4th or 5th rounder for him? Either way, I like what I've heard about Brink and don't want to see him as odd man out. Kubiak wouldn't have drafted him if he didn't have plans for him.

TexanBacker93 05-30-2008 05:54 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
I think drafting Brink was security in case someone gets hurt or an offer comes along that Smith can't pass up and ends up trading Rosenfels. It goes along with the signing of Gray. I don't know if the team keeps all 3, but having a veteran in there in case Rosenfels gets traded is good security. If Brinks ends up being on the practice squad he might be the #3 next season. I don't think there is a huge risk of having another team pick him up off the ps. If another team really had their hearts set on him they had 6 rounds to grab him.

Goldensilence 05-30-2008 06:58 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
I don't see why some people have really bashed the pick. Sage's contract is up next year, assuming he's not traded, and Gray only signed a one year deal. Beyond that our backup QB is up in the air past next year. why not get a guy in the fold who at least will have an idea what the offense looks like and how it runs.

I forgot who nailed it a while back but the way things look with this staff with the later round picks they're looking for team leaders and experienced guys who can just play. I'm not saying he's going to light up the league but next year if we can get a guy in the 7th round who is a solid 3rd QB that's not bad.

ChampionTexan 05-30-2008 07:12 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldensilence (Post 928670)
I don't see why some people have really bashed the pick. Sage's contract is up next year, assuming he's not traded, and Gray only signed a one year deal. Beyond that our backup QB is up in the air past next year. why not get a guy in the fold who at least will have an idea what the offense looks like and how it runs.

I forgot who nailed it a while back but the way things look with this staff with the later round picks they're looking for team leaders and experienced guys who can just play. I'm not saying he's going to light up the league but next year if we can get a guy in the 7th round who is a solid 3rd QB that's not bad.

As far as picking Brink in round 7, somebody (can't remember who) on this board made an observation at the time of the draft that I think was very insightful. With Gray and Rosenfels as #'s 2 & 3, what UDFA who's got any chance at all of making it in the NFL was going to sign with the Texans? We would have been able to get training camp fodder, but probably nothing more than that. Drafting Brink in the last round ensured that we'd have a practice squad eligible QB who Kubiak and Smith felt had at least a semi-realistic shot at being an NFL player. Taking a late round QB was probably the only way that was going to happen in '08. When the '09 season rolls around, and Gray's contract has expired, and Rosenfels is either dealt or in the final year of his contract, it will be nice to have seen Brink practice for a year, and have some idea of what he might become.

beerlover 05-30-2008 07:54 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 928676)
As far as picking Brink in round 7, somebody (can't remember who) on this board made an observation at the time of the draft that I think was very insightful. With Gray and Rosenfels as #'s 2 & 3, what UDFA who's got any chance at all of making it in the NFL was going to sign with the Texans? We would have been able to get training camp fodder, but probably nothing more than that. Drafting Brink in the last round ensured that we'd have a practice squad eligible QB who Kubiak and Smith felt had at least a semi-realistic shot at being an NFL player. Taking a late round QB was probably the only way that was going to happen in '08. When the '09 season rolls around, and Gray's contract has expired, and Rosenfels is either dealt or in the final year of his contract, it will be nice to have seen Brink practice for a year, and have some idea of what he might become.

I like your thought process. Brink is a system QB who could be serviceable if & when needed as insurance, something the Texans are developing now at many positions. :goodpost:

ObsiWan 05-30-2008 09:06 PM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampionTexan (Post 928676)
As far as picking Brink in round 7, somebody (can't remember who) on this board made an observation at the time of the draft that I think was very insightful. With Gray and Rosenfels as #'s 2 & 3, what UDFA who's got any chance at all of making it in the NFL was going to sign with the Texans? We would have been able to get training camp fodder, but probably nothing more than that. Drafting Brink in the last round ensured that we'd have a practice squad eligible QB who Kubiak and Smith felt had at least a semi-realistic shot at being an NFL player. Taking a late round QB was probably the only way that was going to happen in '08. When the '09 season rolls around, and Gray's contract has expired, and Rosenfels is either dealt or in the final year of his contract, it will be nice to have seen Brink practice for a year, and have some idea of what he might become.

The current "project guy", Shane Boyd, is out of P/S eligibility. So unless Boyd outshines Gray in T/C, he's gone. Brink is the P/S guy for this coming year - maybe the next two - assuming he slips through waivers.

And I'll confess that, on draft day, I was confused that we picked Brink up until I saw that Boyd was out of P/S eligibility this year. Then it made sense to me.

SOLIS 05-31-2008 01:39 AM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Brink is the perfect - I mean perfect practice squad QB. His WSU team had to fight week in and week out against better competition in the Pac-10. Playing underdog and trying to improve each week sounds like a practice squad gig to me.
-
Not to mention the dude is a whiz-kid who has the ability to ellude the pass rush. He can shape shift from week to week, meaning if he has to play both the "VY" and "Peyton" roles during practice. Not saying he can compare to either, but you get the point. He's got athleticism and smarts. He'll figure it out.
-
I think he's gonna be a great fit. What the hell, I'll plug a piece I did last week at BRB.

76Texan 05-31-2008 02:01 AM

Re: Alex Brink
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLIS (Post 928777)
Brink is the perfect - I mean perfect practice squad QB. His WSU team had to fight week in and week out against better competition in the Pac-10. Playing underdog and trying to improve each week sounds like a practice squad gig to me.
-
Not to mention the dude is a whiz-kid who has the ability to ellude the pass rush. He can shape shift from week to week, meaning if he has to play both the "VY" and "Peyton" roles during practice. Not saying he can compare to either, but you get the point. He's got athleticism and smarts. He'll figure it out.
-
I think he's gonna be a great fit. What the hell, I'll plug a piece I did last week at BRB.

Aw come on, there's no such thing as perfection, even if we're talking about PS.

I agree though, that the lines on the boy are pretty clean. But I need more homework (on my part), so I don't have any argument at this moment.

edo783 05-31-2008 08:31 AM

Re: Alex Brink
 
The Brink pick looks to me to have been driven by Boyd being out of PS time and not able to make the jump to NFL QB in their thinking. So, you go and find another developmental type QB, work with him, park him on the PS and maybe he works out to be the next Tom Brady if not, find another in a couple of years to work with and hopefully one will work out and be ready when you need him. He will also give you another arm in TC which from what I have heard is always an issue in camp due to to the amount of reps that they go through.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger