Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com

Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texans Talk (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Molden better for taking hard road to Houston (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50259)

Wolf 05-12-2008 10:23 AM

Molden better for taking hard road to Houston

Didn't see this posted but may have missed it hidden in the minicamp threads

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/5769146.html

Quote:

Antwaun Molden wasn't one of the cool kids — not in the ways that teenagers keep score.

Molden was small, and he made up for it by being slower than the big men on campus.

When Molden insisted on trying to prove his worth as a defensive back at a powerhouse program at Warren Harding High (Warren, Ohio), teammates mocked him.

Coaches largely ignored him, wrote him off as a project not worth starting.

"All the other kids would go out on Saturday night, and I would do my homework, come back, do some DB drills, run stadium steps," Molden said. "I was determined. I've never had it easy, so I don't know any other way."

By doing it the hard way, the roundabout way, Molden created an opportunity for himself in the NFL. On his way to the Texans, Molden went through two high schools, two colleges and assorted episodes of heartache. Though he led a sheltered career at Eastern Kentucky, the Texans took him in the third round (No. 79 overall) of last month's draft.

The more chances Molden got to show what he could do, the harder he made it for the NFL intelligentsia to ignore him. He turned heads at the Texas vs. the Nation Collegiate All-Star Bowl. He made eyes pop at the scouting combine.

Wolf 05-12-2008 10:32 AM

Re: Molden better for taking hard road to Houston

Quote:

Andrews helped Molden scrounge out a football scholarship at Toledo, but there was a catch. Toledo never got around to actually delivering on the scholarship. After three semesters of paying his own way, Molden transferred to Division I-AA Eastern Kentucky. He finally broke into the starting lineup as a senior, playing seven games with a cast on his broken left hand.

He played hurt. And he played hurting desperately, because a rare form of muscle cancer was taking his fiancée. Joi Smith, a junior on the Michigan track team, died Nov. 17 after a ninth-month battle with alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma.

"It was a rough year," Molden said.

And left it at that.

"We talk about excuses being tools of incompetence," Andrews said. "He memorizes these things. These are things that he lives by, puts in his head, so that when negatives come up, boom, he's got a thought we've discussed to help him through that."

Father figure
Andrews figures he can vouch for Molden. During summers and school breaks, Molden has been living with his old coach-turned-father-figure.

"Houston doesn't know what it's got," Andrews said. "They've got a great kid with a big heart who's a great athlete. And he's a quality young man. You don't see drama behind his name."
from the link

beerlover 05-12-2008 11:10 AM

not sure this fits here but @ the Scouting Combine he was used as the ginnepig how to get set, with proper technique for the all important 40 times in the db group. then if that wasn't embarrasing enough ran first while everyone watched, he popped a 4.44 on his first try.

Specnatz 05-12-2008 11:42 AM

Thanks for the story Wolf, the kid has heart and grit that is for damn sure.

PapaL 05-12-2008 12:41 PM

Makes it had not to pull for the guy to become a superstar. We are all behind you and rooting for you!

Meloy 05-12-2008 12:44 PM

I may be too optimistic but this draft may turn out to be the best we have had and that is saying a lot.

Brandon420tx 05-12-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloy (Post 917178)
I may be too optimistic but this draft may turn out to be the best we have had and that is saying a lot.

We'll probably say that after every drafk Smithaik do.

Wolf 05-12-2008 01:59 PM

figured this thread is about as good as any

With Brown going against Mario so early

was the staff pushing Molden against AJ (even though the Texans keep the same CB's on one side of the field) ?

I read on someone's link about Molden playing but I don't remember where,what string, etc etc

GuerillaBlack 05-12-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon420tx (Post 917187)
We'll probably say that after every drafk Smithaik do.

No, this one feels special. I like our draft class this year.

Dallas_Texan 05-12-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 917230)

was the staff pushing Molden against AJ (even though the Texans keep the same CB's on one side of the field) ?

I read on someone's link about Molden playing but I don't remember where,what string, etc etc

Good point. Then again, seeing if he can play against Walter would be a good first test, b/c apparantly that guy runs perfect routes. Let's see if Moulden can follow. Then put him with AJ. The good news is either way, even if he's on the fourth best receiver, he's with Jacoby Jones. None of our receivers will give him a free ride in training camp!! :splits:

triplethreat 05-12-2008 05:47 PM

Wow, I live up here near Warren and never really knew that he played for Harding, I pay more attention to JFK though.

disaacks3 05-12-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf (Post 917230)

Antwaun Molden, who Steve Campbell wrote a great column about, also played well. He moved into the mix on the second team when Fred Bennett left the field after twisting his ankle in practice Saturday night. Bennett didn't return to the field Sunday, so Molden played behind DeMarcus Faggins.

from chron blog link